So, which studio owns the rights to which characters?

So, which studio owns the rights to which characters?

Other urls found in this thread:

slashfilm.com/namor-rights-mavel/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You literally answered your own question with your own image. Are you retarded?

I want to a better and longer list

/thread

What did universal do?

Namor is apparently back with Marvel now.

That list is pretty comprehensive as it is. If a character isn't listed, Marvel owns the rights to it.

So how does the Spiderman stuff work?

But your image encompasses everything given the whole "everything else"

The big red bubble literally says "everything else"

Protip: There aren't any "secret" film rights. This chart is covering all the Marvel film properties that aren't held by Marvel itself.

Pretty sure Universal still owns some rights to The Hulk in a similar fashion to how Sony currently holds rights to Spider-Man

Sony owns the rights to Spidey, but is "renting him out" to Disney since they realized they're terrible at making movies.

Sony gives the money to make a film and Marvel does all the creative work. Also he gets to appear in Marvel films like Civil War.

are you ready for their guaranteed terrible Mile Morales Spidey cartoon movie?

Sony and Marvel work together, effectively. Though I think Sony still gets the lions share of the profits due to the fact that they distribute the movies, but Marvel is the one that makes the calls about casting, directors, plot, etc.

So Disney owns all of those godless alien races, the kree, this shi'ar and the skrull?

Cable is wrong. Rob Liefeld owns roughly half the rights to Cable, so when marvel sold the X Men rights they didn't sell them him. Basically, both companies can use him if Rob approves

>I don't know where these aliens come from

I don't believe so. He's still in limbo with Universal, like Hulk is

Does he keep the rights in a pocket?

I think the Skrulls are tied in with the Fantastic Four rights.

Universal has distribution rights to the Hulk, so they get the money from a solo-Hulk film. Hence why we haven't had one since 2008

Skrulls, as an alien race, are free game. Super Skrull, on the other hand...

on that chart why doesn't it say sony in pink above the circle?

right, ok, thanks for the clarification

This image isn't really all that accurate when it comes to Hulk. Marvel can use Hulk in their movies but Universal has the rights to distribute Hulk movies. Namor's rights have (apparently) recently has reverted back to Marvel as well.

slashfilm.com/namor-rights-mavel/

TL;DR - Quesada claims Marvel has Namor's film rights. However, he has claimed this before and was corrected by Feige so he may have fucked up again.

>caring about cartoon móvies
>caring about miles at all

Sony and Marvel can both use Spider-Man. Sony can also use MCU characters (which is why RDJ is mentioned as having a guest-appearance in Homecoming)
Marvel (or at least Feige) advises Sony on the Spider-Man stuff, though Sony may have final say.
Marvel doesn't get any box office money from Sony's films, and Sony doesn't get any box office money from Marvel's films (like for instance Civil War).
For Civil War merchandise they're having Spider-Man packaged with Captain America and/or Iron Man.

Sony

James Gunn recently revealed that Fox has the rights to Kang the Conqueror.

Which is completely insane because Kang is an Avengers villain who was introduced in The Avengers.

If they could get Scarlet Witch I don't see why Marvel couldn't get Kang, but I'm no fancy lawyer.

I'd love to see Namor in a movie, but how the fuck would they work him in?

>Rob Liefeld owns roughly half the rights to Cable

Source?

Blah blah he's a Richards

We're still waiting to see if Feige supports or disputes what Quesada recently said.

Like Wonder Woman, or make him an Avengers tier villain.

Not a live action MCU film, I don't give a fuck... Especially if its about Miles!

>Which is completely insane because Kang is an Avengers villain who was introduced in The Avengers.

Have you ever read the first appearance of Kang? In that Avengers issue, he outright says he's Rama-Tut, who first appeared in an issue of Fantastic Four.

Also Trank confirmed it on Sup Forums days before Gunn did.

>If they could get Scarlet Witch I don't see why Marvel couldn't get Kang, but I'm no fancy lawyer.

Since it probably was Trank who posted on Sup Forums, he said that the plan was to do a trilogy, the first one would've been Doom and Space Bugs, the second would've been Psycho-Man, and the third would be Kang the Conqueror. They probably made clear their plans to use Kang first.

Kang is everybody. What I don't get is why Fox would put down a marker about wanting exclusive rights to Kang but not about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, who actually started as X-Men characters.

Or maybe Marvel just doesn't want Kang enough to fight for him. Poor Kang/Immortus/Iron Lad/Richards/Possibly Doctor Doom.

OK that makes sense. It's been a long time since I read that issue (the first year of Avengers kind of stunk) and I couldn't remember if he was other people right off the bat.

Sony have the sole rights to make, distribute and receive profits for Spider-Man films.

However, they do not get the proceeds of merchandise such as toys. This belongs to Marvel.

If Spider-Man has a popular movie, both companies benefit which is why they have entered a deal to allow Spider-Man into the MCU.

>tl;dr - Sony owns Spidey movies, Marvel owns Spidey toys, Sony and Marvel are playing nice

This is just my opinion
It is unlikely they will, especially as Aquaman is going to have a movie first. Namor isn't a majorly popular character and among the casuals he is likely to be seen as an Aquaman rip-off.

Kang was wrapped up in the Fantastic Four rights.

All Fox's rights come with the villans right is there a list of what villans come with each franchise

Most likely but I would not be surprised if marvel kept the skrull they do have pretty big roles for other hero's as well.

The first inhuman

Feige has said in a recent interview that Marvel has complete unimpeded creative control over any Spider-Man movies they make.

>Fox
Fantastic Four and related properties*
X-Men and related properties
*Constantin Film is technical FF rights holder, but Fox floats all production and distribution, making them de facto owners. Agreement stipulates use of all concepts in V1 issues 1-100. Fox cannot crossover Fantastic Four and X-Men without Marvel's explicit permission.

>Hasbro
Micronauts (this includes prominent characters like Bug; also prevents further use of the property in print)
Microverse (used in Ant-Man under "Quantum Realm" alias)
Rom: Spaceknight (also prevents further use of the property in print)

>Sony
Spider-Man and related properties (can be used by Marvel in joint productions only)

>Universal
Hulk and related properties (distribution rights only, characters reside with Marvel)
Namor and related properties (distribution rights only, characters reside with Marvel)
Prime and related properties (licensed to Universal in 2002; status unknown)

>likely to be seen as an Aquaman rip-off.
But surely if they mention that he predates aquaman people will realise he's not

I've read in a few places that the Skrulls are shared. Whedon said the Avengers movie didn't use them because they didn't want to deal with shapeshifters on top of all the other stuff they were putting in.

The Badoon are Fox because Lee introduced them as Silver Surfer villains. Gunn was quoted as saying:

> “Marvel only partially owns Skrulls, and also for the record, we don’t own the Badoon either. So people were asking why we have the Sakaarans in the film, we don’t own the Badoon.”

That is part of the deal that have made with Sony.

They do not own the film rights, they have merely been given use of the character through a contract.

Friend, you give people faaaaaar too much credit.

I'm a creative and I seriously hate the current copywright laws. There needs to be stricter "Shit or Get Off the Pot" laws.

Not to mention people already have a low opinion of aquamon, so it wouldn't take much to come off as a "cooler aquaman"

That was probably for the best. Sony clearly has no idea what to do with Spidey at this point, might as well just profit off of the creative decisions of the other guys. Besides, Marvel probably feels they would have more to lose if Spidey gets fucked up somewhere as part of the MCU.

Skrulls are a shared entity, specific characters like Super Skrull are not. Black Panther and Inhumans were negotiated out of the FF package.

I don't think it has much to do with copyright per se. Marvel owns the characters but they handed over the option to use the characters.

You pretty much have to have an exclusive option to make a movie or a play or whatever out of an existing property.

You're not dealing with copyright law here, but contract law. Pretty much anything goes so long as both parties agree, and they're locked in unless a new contract is negotiated and original one is terminated. Most of these rights issues aren't cut and dried. Any time a question comes up it's a lot of back and forth between lawyers and since we aren't privy to these details speculation takes hold.

>(this includes prominent characters like Bug; also prevents further use of the property in print)

Wait, for real? I thought Marvel has the rights to Bug, Rann, and Marionette since Hasbro couldn't use them for the IDW comic.

They could do any number of things
Underwater kingdom finally discovered
Namor just shows up to confront the land breathers for global warming
Byrne Business suit Namor is introduced as an intimidating, inscrutable businessman (perhaps an ecologically-minded antagonist for Stark) and turns out to be a fishman

Sony
>Spider-Man [1]

Fox
>Fantastic Four
>Galactus
>Silver Surfer
>Dr Doom
>Kang the Conqueror
>Super Skrull [2]
>The Badoon
>X-Men, including all mutants [3]

Universal [4]
>The Incredible Hulk
>Namor the Submariner [5]
[1] Spider-Man is now part of a deal with Marvel that allows Marvel to use Spider-Man in the MCU

[2] Super Skull belongs solely to Fox. The Skrull as a race belong to both Marvel and Fox

[3] Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch belong to both Marvel and Fox. However, they cannot be referred to as Mutants by Marvel

[4] Universal own the distribution rights to the Hulk and Namor, not the character rights.

[5] Joe Quesada has very recently claimed that Namor's rights belong to Marvel. This has not been confirmed by Feige.

i didnt know that was how it went
well that's actually pretty cool then

The sources I used are pretty recent, but anything Hasbro touched is a weird legal limbo until they hash things out with Marvel. I could be wrong.

Quesadilla has been wrong about these things before. Feige said 2 years ago that they did have the rights, but
>"Let’s put it this way – there are entanglements that make it less easy. There are older contracts that still involve other parties that mean we need to work things out before we move forward on it. As opposed to an Iron Man or any of the Avengers or any of the other Marvel characters where we could just put them in."

All Quesadilla said is something like "Uh, as far as I know Fox and Sony don't have him so I guess we do". The way he said it made it sound like he wasn't really sure and nothing he said implied something has changed since Feige made that comment. In other words, there is literally no news.

Unless of course they are closely linked to another property, like Spider-Man's villains and supporting characters, Galactus, Annihilus, the Skrulls, Doom, Shi'ar, Brood, etc. And Kang for some reason.

Then why doesn't Disney own Kang?

Fox might've gotten dibs first, and Kang is more tied to Richards than Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were to Magneto (their parentage was a mystery for a long time).

But they're using Bug in the Knowhere Corps

But then the "everything else" rule is shit and OP's question is valid

OP's question is valid. The other people saying it isn't don't really know about where other characters like Alpha Flight or Captain Britain or whoever would fall under.

Nobody owns Stan Lee!

>(this includes prominent characters like Bug; also prevents further use of the property in print)
He was just in Bendis's Guardians of the Galaxy #5 back in February...

Skrull are not free game. It's why they used the Chitauri. Fox has the rights to the Skrulls.

Honestly I'm a bit confused as to how Marvel owns Ronan and the Kree. I assume there's a loophole because of Captain Marvel similar to how they can use Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

Bug was also featured in the first draft of the GOTG movie.

"There was a really good chance Bug was going to show up in the first movie but we do not own him... but, anyway, that was going to happen, perhaps. Listen, I really love Rom: Spaceknight, as everyone at Marvel knows because they've given me Rom stuff... but we don't own Rom. I would love for Rom: Spaceknight to show up because I love his story, I love the way he looks, I love everything about him…" - James Gunn

It's time reboot Aquaman. Make Atlantis near Australia. Set Snyder on him. There's your intimidating and dangerous Aquaman.

>Microverse (used in Ant-Man under "Quantum Realm" alias)
Marvel now uses the Quantum Realm name in print, moreover, DC can use the Microverse name in print.

Have nothing to back this up but I'd be surprised if the Shi'ar aren't with the X-men rights.

Do there need to be any updates to this?

None of this really matters. If FOX won't sell the rights back or come to a deal, Disney will just buy the company outright when they finally poison Murdoch.

I was going to say it seems a lot to buy a company just for some movie rights but then I remembered just how much fucking money these movies make

After seeing the Snob review the (really shitty) failed 80's "Power Pack" pilot, it got me wondering if they could make a movie or series for it today?

Fox isn't the one choosing what characters they get, it was Marvel

He and Panther hate each other.

I think Runaways, Young Avengers, etc. are far more viable nowadays

>Agreement stipulates use of all concepts in V1 issues 1-100.
So then how does Marvel have Black Panther and Inhumans?