Is film school a meme? Should I just go to films instead?

Is film school a meme? Should I just go to films instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5f2gToeatDU
imdb.com/title/tt4602718/
statenews.com/article/2013/02/big-screen-dreams
vimeo.com/user5575327
youtube.com/watch?v=-YIAT1aQNm0
tarstarkas.net/2012/06/dont-step-on-my-enduring-destiny/
youtube.com/watch?v=LtP12XEDGCY
youtube.com/watch?v=bgihkyHeym0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tune in next week to find out!

Film school works for some people and doesn't work for others. At least try to make some amateur movies with friends/acquaintances first.

If you're interested in filmmaking you should listen to the film commentaries of David Fincher and Steven Soderbergh

Yes.

itll show

Go to film school but don't buy too into it. If you get too hung up on making art look like art or trying to do too much pretencious shit you will fail hard. Learn what you can and make films at the same time. Focus on short 10 minute dialogue films that are fairly stylized with interesting camera placement. The best thing you can do it copy a great scene frame for frame. Do it then see why it failed and do it again until you can do it nearly perfect then do your own scene in the same style.

skip films, just go to school

A friend of mine went to film school and spent $25,000 making this.

youtube.com/watch?v=5f2gToeatDU

>Is film school a meme?

Yep. Pic related.

Why would anyone want to listen to those hacks?

i don't think anyone in that room showers more than twice a week.

Are you serious?

If you want to be a hack, yes and yes.

There is not a single white person in that room.

USA.

>implying one needs to shower more often than twice a week
Look at this cuck.

>car yellow
>her outfit yellow
>BIG BLACK STRIPES GOING UP HER DRESS

I wonder what this means

Yes, and the full movie is on youtube. His latest movie cost $35K and he paid with 5 credit cards.

Skip film school, skip films.

Shoot films. Any DSLR can produce a compelling story.

something to watch tonight, thanks

>mfw it's real
>mfw he got butthurt for the criticism in the youtube comments of the trailer you posted
imdb.com/title/tt4602718/

you gonna enjoy it

wew, let me offer those trips for Brendan

what is he spending the money on? looks like it cost 5 dollars

lol this is making my day.

some people will just never make it

here is what I know
>semi-pro actors
>agency costs
>motel
>food
>red camera plus its crew
>new mac computer
>props

he now lives at home waiting tables and still owes 30,000

statenews.com/article/2013/02/big-screen-dreams
>MSU alumnus Thomas Reilly-King works at one of his minimum-wage jobs to finance his independent movie, which he hopes to debut later this year.
Fucking kek
also why would you star in the first movie you direct? Poorfaggotry or egotism?

i want to rape

>egotism
knowing him I would go with this, and poorfaggotry

why has he dubbed every single piece of dialogue
it's reminding me of the room

the intro to the full movie on youtube has the actors showering him with praise calling him a genius, sounds like the latter

makes sense, he didn't react well to the criticism in those comments lol

I wonder how you're supposed to get a movie bankrolled assuming you had good material and not give away too much about it so that you don't get ripped off. Maybe he feared that and that's why he decided to bankroll it himself. He doesn't seem to have good material though.

Some more stuff on his vimeo account - vimeo.com/user5575327

I found this picture aswell. Is this him? Or someone else who worked on his films?

Oh fuck is this an indie-movies-that-JUSTed-the-directors thread?

My absolute favorite of these is "Gods of Los Angeles" by Garret "Classic" Gilchrist (yes, the guy who used to make movies with the RLM guys and tried to slander them years later. Rich Evans has cameos in his film). The film took 5 years and $300,000 to make. He's in debt for life.
youtube.com/watch?v=-YIAT1aQNm0
3 hours of the worst movie you'll ever see.

tarstarkas.net/2012/06/dont-step-on-my-enduring-destiny/
>This is a real film that has been in development since 2009. They’re almost done, and will be sending it to film festivals. I know what you’re thinking: “Tars, this sounds good, but I really want to buy 18″ talking action figures of the main characters of Enduring Destiny!” Well, the filmmakers got you covered, because they are making 18″ talking action figures of the main characters of Enduring Destiny!
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

how deep does the rabbit hole go?

>vimeo.com/user5575327
HOLY FUCK! I didn't know about this. thanks user.

That pic is tom.

Damn I gotta get one of those

hahaha what the fuck

JUST

what the fuck

That's pure kino right there

my fucking sides

>lights and gear visible at 2:19
HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN
HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT SLIP BY

Everything is about practice. Knowing the tools that school teaches you is an advantage, a really vig advantage, and you can network. But what qill really teach you to be good is practice.

Music video kino

youtube.com/watch?v=LtP12XEDGCY

Film school is to learn the ropes and meet people in the business and the later is the most important thing you'll get out of it.

bump

It's a gamble. Try to be objective. Do you actually have something appealing to say? Do you truly have an eye and ear for what might work?
Even if yes, it's still a gamble just SLIGHTLY less so. At that point, it's still about your ability to plug into the zeitgeist, that intangible oeuvre of the day... Nowadays, that means making propaganda clap-fests of some sort or capeshit or horror. Assess and make your choice.

Good luck.

Hyped for the sequel Sup Forums?

I don't understand why you would ever try to make full feature films as an independent director, just stick to shorts and hope someone likes you enough to fund your shit in the future

How old is too old for film school?

I bet it smells like weed and sweaty vaginas in there

With the money he wasted on that film he could have done several shorts and thus acquiring more knowledge or a really good one with better production values, short films are the way to go if you are just starting.

If you're over 25 you shouldn't even bother.

my body is ready. he seems a little butt hurt though.

mind elaborating on that?

>le you need to have done the same thing to criticize meme
In his defense I once watched a film that was probably even worse, "Moonrunners". Took me pretty long to find it and I wanted to watch it because it was the inception of the Dukes of Hazzard, but after I had it I understood why it was so rare. It's atrocious.

Why?

bump this glorious thread.

I'd rather listen you, big guy!

Film school's too risque imo. I think you should pursue something like law instead of film. That'll give you better job choices. Breaking into Hollywood takes a lot of casting couches and shit and i'm sure that film school wont give you a golden ticket to Hollywood.

Watch Conan the Barbarian on mute.

That'll teach you everything you need to know about directing a film.

The vast majority of money in the film industry is made on teens. If you're over 25 now and looking at film school, by the time you work your way up, you'll be at least 20 years removed from that demographic. If you're only interested in making film for artistic purposes, asking if you're 'too old' for film school is stupid. If your desire and purpose in life is to make film to express something and you have the financial means to do so, fucking do it. Do you really need a stranger on the internet to tell you that?

Because your too old and too fat, faggot.

crippling masculinity

hahahahaha

>go to flicks
>become a critically acclaimed and popular director

>go to flick school
>become a hack who gets divorced by MEW

That's not what risque means. Risque is borderline lewd.

>something like law
>not STEM for those $300k starting
shiggy diggy

You could theoretically make a cheap feature if you're not retarded about it. Take a look at Garret's "opus" and you'll see that he in fact was definitely being retarded about it.

YouTube users not too impressed with music kino

Yes

Oh goddamn thats fucking great.

Make a movie and get your name out there.

Film school is good for providing you direction in planning a production and know industry lingo.

However, if you want my advice - how old are you?

If you're still in high school, my advice is study hard and get a degree in something useful like law or science. Do the film shit in your own time.

If it's meant to be - you will have the motivation to produce your own movie and you'll have some capital to do it.

Is this the part where we pretend Tarantino isn't a hack and Faults wasn't good and critically acclaimed?

He went to cuck school

But Quentin didn't go to Film School...

>If it's meant to be - you will have the motivation to produce your own movie and you'll have some capital to do it.
>advising someone to finance his own film
Ignore what this retard said except for the studying something useful part.

You lack reading comprehension.
>If you want to be a hack, yes and yes.
Means:
>Is film school a meme?
Yes
>Should I just go to films instead?
Yes

This needs to go on brettygood. I'd love to read the comments.

Riley pls

deeper than you could possibly comprehend

You think that's bad advice because you're a bum who didn't do the first part of my advice.

How else are you going to get your own name there without making your own films to start off?

>scoop count>1
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

Unless you're well-connected already, no one is going to hand you a job just for going to film school. If you can go to a well-known film school, do it, work hard, and make contacts.

lol don't step on his breaks.

I want to marry those legs.

You make short films and promote them. If you're good then you can secure funds to make features.
And no I'm not a bum, I'm a engineering student. Bridges are my thing.

fucking jews

>The it's so bad it's good meme

This only works if it's unintended like "the room".

Yeah but isn't he also the guy restoring The Thief and the Cobbler?

>select images that are bridges.

>civil
enjoy your deflated salary

HE PUT THE FULL MOVIE ON HIS CHANNEL
youtube.com/watch?v=bgihkyHeym0
AWW YES

I think he thought it was good the whole way through.

FUCK YESSSS. I know what I'm gonna watch.

He's jewy as fuck.

>movie starts with people calling the director a genius
this is next level

someone send this to best of the worst