How do you go from such a visually beautiful movie like mulholland drive to this?

how do you go from such a visually beautiful movie like mulholland drive to this?

Inland Empire is beautiful in a way.

1. Self-financed experimental project. Digital video was cheaper and allowed for total creative freedom, he could shoot as much footage as he wanted
2. He was past the point where he needed to prove himself to plebs. MD was not his first "visually beautiful" project, he's already shown the world he can do that
3. He's made other projects, in film and other mediums, where ugliness and dissonance are a big part of the aesthetic. Eraserhead fits that description and it launched his career.
4. The look works. I felt like it reinforced the "nightmare" feeling of the whole project. I love this movie and I think it's one of his best

I liked it because it made a lot of scenes feel like a behind-the-scenes feature, which made sense given what happens in the movie.

mulholland drive looks like shit as well.

>implying any David Lynch movie is any good

Muh digital.

BRUTAL FUCKING MURDER

>implying

he wanted to make a different movie

>implying Inland Empire isn't beautiful at points
It's just low res but it has its own aesthetic and the movie is really beautiful at points, both in content and in visuals.

DEAR TWITTER FRIENDS: WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST FUCKING SAY ABOUT ME, YOU LITTLE BITCH? I’LL HAVE YOU KNOW I GRADUATED TOP OF MY CLASS IN TRANSCENDENTAL MEMETATION, AND I’VE BEEN INVOLVED IN NUMEROUS SECRET RAIDS ON LAURA DERN’S PUSSY, AND I HAVE OVER 300 CONFIRMED KINOS. I AM TRAINED IN WEIRD ARTSY SHIT AND I’M THE TOP KINOMASTER IN THE ENTIRE US FILM INDUSTRY. YOU ARE NOTHING TO ME BUT JUST ANOTHER PLEB. I WILL WIPE YOU THE FUCK OUT WITH ABSTRACT STORYTELLING THE LIKES OF WHICH HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE ON THIS EARTH, MARK MY FUCKING WORDS. YOU THINK YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH SAYING THAT SHIT TO ME OVER THE INTERNET? THINK AGAIN, FUCKER. AS WE SPEAK I AM CONTACTING MY SECRET NETWORK OF MIDGET DANCERS ACROSS LOS ANGELES AND YOUR IP IS BEING TRACED RIGHT NOW SO YOU BETTER PREPARE FOR THE GARMONBOZIA, MAGGOT. THE GARMONBOZIA THAT WIPES OUT THE PATHETIC LITTLE THING YOU CALL YOUR LIFE. YOU’RE FUCKING DEAD, KID. I CAN BE ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, AND I CAN KILL YOU IN OVER SEVEN HUNDRED WAYS, AND THAT’S JUST WITH MY COFFEE-ADDLED MIND. NOT ONLY AM I EXTENSIVELY TRAINED IN ASTRAL PROJECTION, BUT I HAVE ACCESS TO THE ENTIRE ARSENAL OF THE WEIRD-LOOKING PEOPLE IN THE BLACK LODGE AND I WILL USE IT TO ITS FULL EXTENT TO WIPE YOUR MISERABLE ASS OFF THE FACE OF THE CONTINENT, YOU LITTLE SHIT. IF ONLY YOU COULD HAVE KNOWN WHAT UNHOLY RETRIBUTION YOUR LITTLE “CLEVER” COMMENT WAS ABOUT TO BRING DOWN UPON YOU, MAYBE YOU WOULD HAVE HELD YOUR FUCKING TONGUE. BUT YOU COULDN’T, YOU DIDN’T, AND NOW YOU’RE PAYING THE PRICE, YOU GODDAMN IDIOT. I WILL SHIT FURY ALL OVER YOU AND YOU WILL DROWN IN IT. YOU’RE FUCKING DEAD, KIDDO. THE HONDA CIVIC IS A FANTASTIC, RELIABLE AUTOMOBILE, AVAILABLE AT AFFORDABLE PRICES.

Reminder that digital is superior to film in every single way.

i agree with this

The first time I saw it I thought it was just ok. The second time I saw it after getting a lot more cinema under my belt and gaining a little maturity and it was the most compelling experience of my life and I am now fully convinced of Lynch's genius.

1 question: Are there lesbians/lesbian sex in this movie? If so, I will watch it.

Yes.

that way she pulls back reminds me of a limmy sketch

There's a hooker showing her friends her tits and a kiss between two women at the end but other than that, no.

ABSOLUTE
KINOGRAPHY

Couldn't finish it and I really liked MD.

LYNCHED

>people try and find deep meaning or understanding within Inland Empires scenes

>it was literally just Lynch filming everything he thought of/dreamed of/wanted to because he bought a digital camera and realized he had complete freedom to do so

It started out that way. It wasn't just completely filmed that way though. And even if it was it's still coming from the mind of one person who sees the world in a certain way so there would still be meaning there. I don't see the point of only analyzing movies that have one specific meaning that's easy to find. I think it's a lot more interesting to take a movie this abstract and talk about it.

what did lynch mean by this?