Doctor Strange Thread

Its rather amazing how little we know about this project. What are your expectations and hopes in the future? Will he be nerfed like MCU Thor? Also discuss your favorite Doctor Strange comic moments

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mKgz-cczPjQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8hwTsrBFaMM
a.pomf.cat/yupthi.webm
mediafire.com/download/araspaddej639ae/Doctor Strange Introductory Package.zip
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Who?

We know George Takai said not being typecast as a racist caricature is racist.

It was a no win situation anyway. If they had cast a Asian actor, they would lose their market in China apparently.

Maybe he wanted an asian to be the role, but also change the role to not be racist?

He probably saw some level of humor in the irony of taking what is a racist caricature character and playing it straight and playing it well. and as far as racist stereotypes go, 'the old wise asian man" is pretty harmless in intention.

i don't think long bearded wise old asian mystic is as much racist as it is cliche. Now if he had buck teeth and pronounced L as R that would be racist. They were being oversensitive white people.

So the Mandarin then

It's a cliche that's based on Yellow Peril stereotypes which are rooted in racism

Bump

So, any Doctor Strange fans out there: I've seen a lot of people around the web recommending The Oath as the best Dr. Strange story, but I've also seen a fair number of Dr. Strange nerds saying it's not that good. However, they rarely say which Dr. Strange stories are better out side of just blanket recs like "the Ditko run."

So, which Dr. Strange stories are better than The Oath? I mean specific stories/arcs here, not just entire runs.

Who is directing this movie?

Scott Derrickson

Scott Derrickson

Guy seems very passionate about the character, that's a pretty good sign in my book.

>I think when you consider the work that I've done it makes sense that he'd be my favorite comic book character, at least in the Marvel universe. Probably the only comic character in that mainstream world that I'm suited to. I feel such an affinity for the character and the story and the ambition of those comics, especially the original Stan Lee and Steve Ditko "Strange Tales" - I think those are my favorite of all of them. The entire history of the comics is extraordinary.

>I wanted it [the movie] really bad. More than any other project that I've gone after, I felt compelled to do everything in my power to get on that project. Genuinely felt like I was the right guy to do it.

Triumph and Torment.

Kek, his twitter profile image is great.

The character is Tibetan, the Chinese dont like people from Tibet, this way it removes all reference to the character being Asian so it can't get confused for being Tibetan.

That's a bad ass costume. Love the detail. Gotta get wife to start working on it for Halloween. Got more pics?

The Chinese are fine with tibet. It's the Chinese government that isn't and would likely ban doc strange from airing in china if it featured a Tibetan actor

Will Hollywood make a Palestinian super-hero?

Or made a reference to Tibet in anyway. The Chinese government have the worlds largest sticks up there butts

I expect it will be similar to the first thor.

>respectably talented director completely hamstrung and forced to play it safe
>some interesting visuals but nothing else of value

But I like eating the same meal over and over so that's fine. I just wish they let him use is original accent instead of his HORRIBLE american accent that he can't hold at all.

Does this help?

Its not yellow peril. Fu Manchu and The Mandarin are Yellow peril. The Ancient one is a Wise old man on the mountain archetype.

Oh hey hey who is that guy
Think it might be...doctor doom?

>you will never be this comfy

We can dream, but unlikely. No idea who the hell hes supposed to be

yeah, they really hate that they invaded and continue to occupy that country.

I'm honestly afraid of that. I feel like he's just going to be Tony Stark with magic too. And even worse they might make 90% of the magic just shooting laser beams

So Im assuming theyre all possessed by Dormammu?

Benchpress Cornerstone probably took little nappies in that cape in-between resets I know I would

I expect it to feel like Thor in reverse. Starts out with mundane human shit no one cares about and then turn into a fantasy adventure.

How big of a dick do you think they'll make pre accident Strange?
they've mentioned lots of hand gestures and unpronouncable incantations so I have hope

Maybe.

>Its rather amazing how little we know about this projec
We didn't start knowing too much about Civil War until February or March.
Don't expect too much valuable info until October or so.

A lot of Chinese citizens drink the Kool aid though. Chinese students protested at my uni when the Dalai Lama was announced as the commencement speaker

The makeup looks pretty cool.

That looks fantastic. What do people call that, just body art?

get the one with dr doom, that one is great, I also like the Illuminati stuff, the one shot and the hickman stuff. I have a feeling they will do something similar.

i hope it's really surreal compared to other MCU movies but does really well so later movies don't have to hold back on the comic-bookness of the story

Yeah I'm not sure if it will be used this way but if it is mind break it's a very interesting visual way of making it literal.
The mask of the persona actually shattering from some mystic force. Should make for a pretty intimidating look compared to the usual glowing or swirly eyes.

I think it's prostethics? I feel like the MCU has good make-up in general.

youtube.com/watch?v=mKgz-cczPjQ

Neat, but now I wonder why didn't they just put a mic and ear piece on him?

cool

youtube.com/watch?v=8hwTsrBFaMM

One more video about how they made Vision.

>2 hours of Microverse-like scenes
Please.

anyone got a Microverse webm?

more like
>20 hours of filler
>10 minutes of flashy lights

>I just wish they let him use is original accent

get the fuck out

>Wise old man on the mountain
You mean Magical Asian.

I'm sorry that cumberbatch has a terrible american accent. But I won't go anywhere.

It looks like he's wearing an old blanket as a cape.

I like it.

What exactly is their argument against Tibet? They're mad that they didn't completely take the China dick when their country was conquered?

Not really a Doctor Strange story, but all of his interactions with the New Avengers were always a good time. The 2nd and 3rd volumes.

Another Lego leak

Wouldn't trust Lego leaks since that Mandarin tank fight from the IM3 sets.

I'm hyped for it, my only fear is they explain all the magic away with hurf durf muh infinity stones. I hate Memebatch but he's perfect as Strange.

CW was accurate with Giant-Man though.

>>All these rumors about future MCU films.
>>None for Dr. Strange.

Gee, it's almost like people don't want to be proven wrong in a few months.

What about the leaked set that had Hank Pym being the bad guy just like in Wright's version of Ant-Man?

...who is the guy in the back?
Also, if they do shit like that, I will love this film.

Weird not sure who fan girl is, the monster could be shuma gorath

I think that's Wong.

Ah right. Black guy is Mordo I think too.

Yeah, Black Guy is Mordo. But if that is Wong, he'll looks like he'll be over the top comic relief.

So are we getting Dormammu or Shuma Gorath? My biggest fear is getting a vague threat we never see get defeated in an anticlimactic way

Same reason Americans write off people who support Texas secession

When did Frank Castle become Sorcerer Supreme?

Man, I wish capes were socially acceptable outdoor wear.

That actually happened during Secret Wars.

probably Wong since it looks like hes holding chinese paper talismans

I still think original Thor was one of the better Marvel films - it felt like its own movie, it felt like a Branagh movie.

>Alien creature attempting to blend in with humans is comfy.

You mean this?

a.pomf.cat/yupthi.webm

Wong! Yay!

Probably some lesser eldritch horror rather than the full Shuma.

My hope is Mikkelsen is just a minon of Dormammu or Shuma-Gorath and while Mads gets BTFO his backer merely suffers a setback and can return.

What's goin on out here? Oh lawd.

>I've seen a lot of people around the web recommending The Oath as the best Dr. Strange story
I wish I had a vomiting reaction image to hand.
The again if I did I wouldn't be able to post this image instead.
mediafire.com/download/araspaddej639ae/Doctor Strange Introductory Package.zip
Almost as bad. Shame on you.
...Well, the one-shot I'll give you.

It's Doctor Droom.

They're saving that for the sequel.
Increments man, can't scare off the normies just yet. You gotta hook them in first then start the ride when they can't escape.

IT'S HABBEBIG

>Wong
It's fucking Tilda Swinton, you daft shit garglers

Recently read Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment. Great read, shame we'll never see Doom in the MCU.

>My biggest fear is getting a vague threat we never see get defeated in an anticlimactic way
It'll be exactly that and you know it. Again, sequel b8 nigga.
Best case scenario Dormammu's possessing Mads, gets cokcblocked from entering our dimension and Strange fights him on his home turf in Doctor Strange 2, Full Dark Dimension movie, featuring Umar, Clea, the works.
Honestly I'm personally hoping it's a lesser daemon, specifically Nightmare, Seeing as he was the first dude Strange fought in the comics and is low enough on the mystic totem pole to be good first movie material whilst still being visually enticing. Alas, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Agreed tbqh fame

Dont count him out yet. I think its very likely there are talks about the Fantastic Four rights. The Tranktastic bomb isnt getting a sequel, and FOX needs to have a project in the works or else the automatically revert. So they may just take the paycheck and focus on X Men properties

I just pray for fucking clea, if not here, in the sequel.

>yfw the events of Doctor Strange prevent Dormammus arrival, but free Mephisto and the spirit of vengeance

I heard there's meant to be a bit where you see Jan reflected in his visor or something.
Is there?
I can see is vaguely human silhouette after he passes the atomic level but I assumed that's a cosmic abstract.

Eh.
All that does is bog down Strange sequels with another franchises baggage. And I';d rather he kick Dormammau's ass proper at some point instead of tease him then never follow up.
Besides, Ghost Rider should be saved for Netflix.
>MUH BUDGET
Put him in a Reyes-style Hellraiser helmet, s'all good.

Here's a super small spoiler from the script:

"It's magic. I don't have to explain anything".

Marvel confirmed for bros.

Id rather Robbie get his own movie. Im not saying Strange needs to have blatant sequel bait everywhere, but it would be a good excuse to start bringing in more of Marvels weird shit.