Great/Maybe Under-The-Radar Horror Films

Recently watched the French movie "Raw" and I liked it a lot, also saw a trailer for a movie coming out on the 9th called "It Comes At Night" that looks like it might be interesting.

Any horror films you've seen so far this year that you thought were pretty good? Anything that was either foreign/indie or just overall obscure?

We all need good horror films that aren't your run-of-the-mill shit like another Conjuring or the coming IT remake.

Other urls found in this thread:

metacritic.com/movie/it-comes-at-night
imdb.com/title/tt0446719/?ref_=nv_sr_3
imdb.com/title/tt0940723/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Raw was a good coming-of-age movie, I liked how the cannibalism acted as a thematic element representing her comfort with freedom.

It Comes At Night, I feel like it's gonna be another Babadook: an excellent and entertaining movie at its core, but not a particularly scary one. It uses horror as window dressing rather than the main focus.

You want a good horror check out Green Room. It's got some genuinely gut-wrenching scenes in there and the late Anton Yelchin pulls in a great performance. As a whole it's a little shaky, but all the individual parts are fucking kino.

Also I feel like this post might be bait but I don't care.

>It Comes At Night, I feel like it's gonna be another Babadook: an excellent and entertaining movie at its core, but not a particularly scary one. It uses horror as window dressing rather than the main focus.

Yeah, I can agree with that, I'm cautiously optimistic at the moment but I'm worried it's just going to be more zombie shit.

Why do you assume my post is bait exactly?

Something about the wording made me think you were being sarcastic. Especially since Raw was a festival darling and It Comes At Night is an A24 joint so it's both quality and fairly well-publicized on the indie market.

Oh, well I guess that makes sense then.

It has pretty good early reviews. I remain optimistic

metacritic.com/movie/it-comes-at-night

this was a pretty enjoyable slow burning movie that I thought was overlooked recently. Not really 'scary' but it has a great creepy atmosphere

>Raw
>under the radar

excellent contribution

As far as American audiences go you know it will forever be under the radar, you useless memeing faggot.

if you seriously think Raw is well-known you should take some time off Sup Forums

The Autopsy of Jane Doe

> French
It's from belgium you fucking uncultured swine
> French fries
Actually belgian fries
Fuck you ameritard

Its a joint French/Belgium made film you complete fucking idiot, they also speak FRENCH so fuck off.

As far as American audience goes the only movies that are not under the radar are capeshit.

If you haven't seen Creep or Pet, they're solid entertainment. The former being great because it's literally one actor managing to be entirely unsettling for an entire film, and the latter for having some very fucking cool twists to it.

My point exactly.

Isolation
imdb.com/title/tt0446719/?ref_=nv_sr_3
very atmospheric. can be found uploaded to youtube, free to watch right now

Sup Forums only knows about it because of waifufags. All threads are about the female director or the main actress.

creep is a fun watch. I'd also recommend honeymoon

>It's a joint French/belgium movie
It's a joint BELGIUM/french movie you fuckface. Beside do you ever just pick and chose whichever country you want the movie to be from ???
There are a lot of joint film for stupid reason like money, location or the filming crew fuckfart. Beside if you really knew this was a joint film why not quote the two country then ?
The director is from belgium it was filmed in belgium, the movie take place in belgium it's a belgian movie you whining bitch

>Beside if you really knew this was a joint film why not quote the two country then ?

... Because I don't care?

Shut up already, you literal fucking poster child for Autism.

A Dark Song was fucking great.

you kidding me, it's so shitty

The fuck are you talking about
The director is french, most of the cast is french.

The Wailing from last year was a pretty decent Korean ghost movie. A tad lengthy though. Made me feel miserable afterwards. I'm curious to see what anyone else that has seen it thought about it.

It was, especially if you like movies about the occult. I wish they would have had a higher budget though.

Best movie of 2017

not to be negative but The Babadook was not a good film. The whole depression is a monster thing was terribly executed and left open for interpretation at the end effectively nullifying any potent message the movie may have.

The only good thing is the art direction, the book illustrations were cool.

does anyone have a link with eng subs plz?

I watched the Void a few weeks ago, after hearing about it last year via a kickstarter campaign. Was a fun movie, with some pretty horrific moments. Felt very John Carpenter-esque. The plot didn't really make much sense though.

I thought it was great too, atmosphere was awesome.
I was also pretty lost at most points, because the characters just became unreadable for me and I never knew who was good and who was bad. Really great movie in my opinion.
Koreans have very good Thrillers and Horror movies in general in my experience. At least the ones that reach out enough so you hear from them.

I'd say almost every Torrent has eng subs these days. Just check the big sites.

I watched Hounds of Love earlier this week, good Aussie Horror/Thriller. The Plot of Pet sounds similar to it.

Essential "not-quite-horror-but-just-as-good" movies:

Bone Tomahawk
Eden Lake
Kill List
A Field In England

The Loved Ones, good small budget aus horror. Some pretty uncomfortable stuff.

>Raw
>the only versions available online have HARDCODED english subtitles

For real?

Lol your so fuckingng dense its amusing actually.
Off you fuck now.

that dude's newest movie came out earlier this year, Devil's Candy. It was alright I guess. Not as good as The Loved Ones.

Watched it with the some friends while baked none of them have even heard of it m8

Lake Mungo

I wonder if you ever watched Eden Lake before

The only reason babadook receives the praise it does is because it's based off jewish folklore. The movie was a shit, and hard to take seriously because the babadook was limited to saying it's name over and over like a pokemon.

I thought The Void was great. As for the story, the only thing I'd have preferred to be explained more was the way everyone got together in that hospital. Was it just cosmic coincidence?
The rest made sense to me. The core concept surrounding the ritual was very good.

I really enjoyed this one as well. I agree the Lovecraftian-other-dimensional-hellraiser touch was confusing in translation. I suggest checking out the movie, A Dark Song. It's a bit slower and not as gorey, bit still spookier than most of it's modern competition.

Not really a recommendation, just want to see what you all think about Train to Busan. I was expecting a unique take on the zombie genre, but honestly it was as basic as they come. Constant dumb decisions being made, the zombies look goofy half the time, and the action doesnt really make sense. I had about 20 minutes left though but I doubt anything could have happened to save it from mediocrity.

>run-of-the-mill shit like another Conjuring
fuck you conjuring was good.

Where can I find this? it's not on rutracker or any other sites i use

Is it even worth watching

This was pretty good. Definitely original.

ignore this post i found it on tpp. pretty bad quality tho

still tell me if its worth watching tho im deciding between watching this or RAW

Nooooo!!!! It's absolute garbage mate. Someone on here recommended it to me saying it was 10/10, watched it, absolute fucking awful. First 40 minutes it almost looks decent although absolutely nothing happens at all, then it just goes full retard. The ending was laughable.

Would not recommend to my worst enemy. I'll give you a dl link if you want but honestly it's a waste of 2 hours.

This was good.

Watch Raw, honestly, you'll regret watching House of the Devil but by all means watch it and find out for yourself.

I liked it, but it wasn't really about Zombies imo. It was more about people reacting to certain desasters/situations. I also can't remember any stupid decisions, but maybe I just forgot them. I really enjoyed it, but more as a Drama, not as a Horror film.

Have you seen it? Is it actually good? Just read about it yesterday, it's got a cool cast.

It's great but kinda falls apart near the end. Still really enjoyed it though. Cool shit and Brian Cox is the man.

Seconded.
Thought this was pretty great in terms of atmosphere and not needing to hold you by the hand with the plot.

Watched it this week, good movie. Nice effects, very little CGI, it looks good overall. Very well made.
But I really feel like they missed whole insanity angle. Characters hallucinating here and there, but it's not quite there. It's also very straight forward and unravels too fast.

it's erotica not horror, dumbasses

are there any good modern alien themed horror movies out recently

inb4 covenant it was OK @ best

>Raw
Thought it was mostly trash. It had some decent shots here and there but as a cannibalism movie it did nothing new, and as a horror movie it wasn't scary at all. Most of the characters were utterly flat, the lone exception being the main character. The thematic elements were old and undercooked, too.

Also, fucking LOL at that awful last minute "twist" too. What a terrible way to end the movie.

>The Blackcoat's Daughter
Pure kino. Great plot, great performances from the three main actresses, great cinematography, great atmosphere, etc. This movie should've gotten the mountain of buzz that Raw got instead.

>Isolation
Saw this movie like a year after it came out and thought it was really good. It had a good bleak tone and atmosphere.

>The Void
Very low budget, and it shows, but I really liked it. Like you said, it's very Carpenter-esque. It reminded me very much of Prince of Darkness. It had a slightly retro feel without resorting to blatant 80s nostalgia as some other movies have done.

My suggestion for the thread is Linkeroever, aka Left Bank, a Belgian movie from 2008.
>imdb.com/title/tt0940723/

It's an atmospheric, slow burn film with some nice, bleak cinematography. You can acquire it from PTP or CG.

why are there so very few good occult movies? the only ones I can think of are this and The Ninth Gate

any I am missing?

would enjoy hearing ur opinions on this. One of my favourite modern horror films. Some of the cinematography was completely breathtaking.

bleak and depressing as fuck too if you're into that sort of narrative

wat. The occult is pretty damn common. Just google "occult horror" and pick whatever looks neat.

I really love The Beyond

>The Ninth Gate
Absolutely kino. There's something about this movie that makes it so comfy. Maybe it's the bibliophilia. Nothing like zipping across Europe to study old books in old, comfy libraries and whatnot. Especially while some demon qt tags along.

Shit movie, but the main chick has (had?) pretty hairy arms.

Literally "Watch a qt dance and do random boring shit until the last 5 minutes": The Flick

It's garbage

>Most of the characters were utterly flat, the lone exception being the main character. The thematic elements were old and undercooked, too.

None of these sentences actually say anything.

"flat" and "undercooked" are flowery non-criticisms that have zero applicable meaning. You are literally the worst of IMDB tier reviewers. Take a fucking literary class and learn how to express your opinions and how to fucking critique.

As for the movie; it isn't great.

I downloaded but haven't watched it yet. I've heard it's not as good as The Blackcoat's Daughter, but just based on that movie I'm more than willing to give it a chance. Good to hear you liked it -- makes me more motivated to watch it, so I probably will tonight.

2grim4u

Fuck the haters, I loved this movie. Absolutely captures the 80s aesthetic perfectly. It's a slow burn flick, though, which is why the ADHD riddled babies in this thread don't like it.

Do I really need to spell it out for you?

The characters are about as deep as a sheet of paper and the themes are so shallow they might as well not be there at all. The main character literally goes on a PETA-teir rant about how animal suffering as the same as human suffering. I'm a believer in the humane treatment of animals, but holy shit was that scene laughable.

Add to that the eating disorder shit and you've got Tumblr level social commentary: the movie.

It's just boring, like a woman wrote it. Standard feminist "le edgy girl does le edgy things le women are le complex le broken le creatures" bullshit. I'd rather watch 2 hours of her licking her forearms.

I watched Raw yesterday and it was legitimately one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. It was a disaster.

This was also a huge disappointment unfortunately.

Kill List was good

>Kill List is one of the best horror movies of the last 20 years
I agree.

it's not perfect and sort of falls apart in the 3rd act. its fine if it bored you. But i really don't understand why you think its some feminist film? Honestly the movie could have replaced all the female characters with dudes and it would still be great

i think you may just dislike women

3rding.

couldn't stand it desu
went nowhere and the ending was pretty predictable

>But i really don't understand why you think its some feminist film?
Because all of them are the same, meandering and meaningless, no hero's journey, no dramatic structure, no insight into the human condition. See for example: Babadook, Raw, I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, or Darling.

It is well known french people invented fries, you huge mongol

You sound like the kind of guy who has friends but none of them actually like you.

Retard detected.

I agree

Here's everything I've seen this year with fewer than 10,000 votes. My favorite of the bunch is I Am a Hero. A Japanese zombie movie that got lost among all the hubbub for Train to Busan. I would recommend anything I gave 6/10 and above, though.

I'm sure mkv files can disable any subtitle
Mais ça me fait chier aussi

I have not. Is it similar to Raw?

>I Am a Hero
Fuck, that movie was great. It was more over the top than Busan but it was a such a good ride.

That final shotgun action scene, WEW LAD

Just rent it off Amazon for five bucks, you have the option to turn them off.

While I liked TtB, I enjoyed IAaH more.

I dunno, I haven't seen it. But speaking of zombies I saw a trailer for "It Stains The Sands Red" or somesuch recently that seemed kind of a unique on zombshit.

Somehow even though it was going for a sort of goofy comic book feel, the emotions in I am a Hero felt more organic than Busan's, For some reason it was scarier too.

Busan was more like a Family Drama using the zombie genre to make it more interesting(which worked well). I would say they are pretty even to me for different reasons.

Listen to this pretentious faggot being all contrarian and shit.

Whats a "good" cannibal movie to you? Fucking Green Inferno?

the Haunter, saw it on netflix recently

>Watch a trailer

Why is Joe Biden in it?

Another french movie is Ils, about some nasty kids.

>Shin Godzilla
>Godzilla Vs Biollante

Do people consider Godzilla to be horror? And while I love me some Godzilla and am looking forward to Shin because Hideki Anno directed it, Biollante was an utter shit movie m8.

I guess they would fall under the creature feature sub-genre over here. There's probably a jap name for the genre though.

Ravenous.