Why is animation so damn inspiring? It's like, shit, at times I don't even realize I'm looking at cartoons...

Why is animation so damn inspiring? It's like, shit, at times I don't even realize I'm looking at cartoons, the performances are just so seamless. A short little pencil test is more impressive to me than something like Space Odyssey or Hugo. Why would I rather stare at sketchy pencil work or flat colors than reality?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W5ih1IRIRxI
youtube.com/watch?v=o1Zve61sQZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=2HR4Junqmzg
youtu.be/aVQyppjMG7U?t=1m7s
vimeo.com/158609402
youtube.com/watch?v=rvLMpjPuQek
youtube.com/watch?v=1nfeBsZNC-U
youtube.com/watch?v=FYTptGoN7zI
youtube.com/watch?v=o_Wfu-MA0mc
youtube.com/watch?v=HqJQAgBPBSA
youtube.com/watch?v=DYOc-LqkrsE
desustorage.org/co/thread/83355892/#83356217
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I mean fuck, look at this. It's a drawing but my brain is saying, "nope, that's a dog". Look how goddamn believable it is.

Damn, look at this moving illustration. Gorgeous.

Look how much fun it is to be a cartoon character. Constantly stretching and squashing, this shit is more fun to look at than some actor's Oscar moment.

Simply having a character stand up is way more creative in animation than any other medium.

Big globby tears are the best. Even crying has immense amounts of personality to it. Can't just have tears fall out of his eyes, gotta make sure they stretch and squash like a bouncing ball. So good.

Look at these fucking MASTERPIECES. The stylization, the techinque, it's like a fucking classical art gallery came to life.

youtube.com/watch?v=W5ih1IRIRxI
youtube.com/watch?v=o1Zve61sQZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=2HR4Junqmzg
youtu.be/aVQyppjMG7U?t=1m7s

Because you feel that you are creating LIFE.

The amount of work it takes just to have a couple of seconds on-screen, my God, it's admirable.

Fuuuuuuccckkk.

Where is this from?

And yet it's a big tease, because they will never be real. You can create an entire world and bring it as close to life as you can with animation but it will still all be just stuff in your head. How absolutely tormenting yet fulfilling at the same time.

vimeo.com/158609402
>“Privisa” - an animated family feature.
The movie is set in the era of the first slavic tribes, ancestors of the nations from Central Europe. It tells the story of 11-year-old Wilkan, his father Borzymir and grandfather Stanimir, who try to save their village. This is an epic story about family, life choices and growing up.
Project in development, international presentation of the concept took place Cartoon Movie, Lyon ( 2-4th March 2016)

Whoops, meant to quote this.

It's like a treat for your eyes.

Look how much work it is just to animate water. People specialize in just animating special effects because it's so complicated. Those people need more credit.

I want to EAT this water.

It's like one of my children's books just started moving, daaaamn. I will never have a bed that comfy.

So much bounciness and understanding of weight, damn these people are talented.

This probably took someone weeks to do. All just cause they really love drawing.

The expressiveness conveyed in these images is part of the reason why I love animation so much more than live action. It's a crying shame that the former isn't usually as profitable as the latter.

Cartoon side of Sup Forums will not be able to apreciatte this because this is not a fetish thread OP.

Too bad no one invests in good stuff anymore bros.

That's fine. I'm sure a couple of people have saved some of these gifs for later viewing and in the end, just inspiring a couple of people is enough.

Always Sunny is one of the few live-action shows I can think of where the characters have downright cartoony expressions and timing to their performances. It's one of my favorite shows.

And just to make this post still animation relevant, here's typography graphic design animation because those rarely get any mention:
youtube.com/watch?v=rvLMpjPuQek

I'm in the same boat as you OP
Appreciate the thread

yeah but is it kino

Guess I can dump my cuphead stuff

What ever happenden to Cartoon Hangover..

OP, are you stoned again?

They gave up

was this ever planned to become a full series? it had potential

>/wsg/, /wsr/, /i/, /ic/ and even Sup Forums are more likely to have an active animation thread than Sup Forums.
>the only way to make Sup Forums to talk about animation is to make a bait thread( calarts style/ eastern vs western animation)
Atleast we can have comic appreciation threads.

Any more 2D Ralph studies?

youtube.com/watch?v=1nfeBsZNC-U
youtube.com/watch?v=FYTptGoN7zI
youtube.com/watch?v=o_Wfu-MA0mc

>If there's anything I can't abide, it's anything out of order.
Nice.

There is a higher quality of the King Candy one somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look so I just got the first google result. Eric Goldberg King Candy is gorgeous though.

Not OP, but I sometimes get hit with that "oh my god animation is so incredible" feeling, too. It's so easy to take for granted.

i think it's because how quickly it goes by.
Making 3 minutes of animation is much harder and than to play a 3 minute song or to film 3 minutes of footage, but it goes by just as fast

I agree. I'm not an animator, but I always loved it because you can tell when love was put into a work. It seems like pure magic sometimes. This is still one of my favorite shorts:

youtube.com/watch?v=HqJQAgBPBSA

youtube.com/watch?v=DYOc-LqkrsE
This sends chills down my spine. The shit students have been pumping out in the last five years is literally mind blowing. They're basically professionals already, why the hell do they even need school? These kids are more talented at 20 than I will ever be in my life cause I'm just taking desk jobs for stability.

>tfw 2d died in your lifetime

I thought you meant 2-D from Gorillaz, they just now have an album coming out I was about to lose my shit at that sort of poor timing.

Holy fuck. This is 10/10. So fucking good.

If the voice suited the teacher's looks better, It'd be perfect.

They sit on their asses and update every 6 months with "DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH TIME IT TAKES TO MAKE A 4 MINUTE CARTOON"

Where's that gif of the girl from Peter Pan 2 doing every expression in a single shot? It's so fluid and cool but I can't find it.

Maybe this sounds retarded, but something I've never understood is how when someone spends tons of time painting or drawing a single picture, people take it very seriously, but as soon as you draw too many pictures and place them one after another and play them back very fast, suddenly it's juvenile and impossible to take seriously.

I'm not trying to say every flipbook drawing should be compared to the mona lisa, but there is some incredible artistry in animation. Single frames can look absolutely gorgeous, but as soon as you put it with a bunch of other frames the majority of people's brains shut off and go "hurr durr cartoons are for kids"

user delivers, and the cost is only that when your time comes; you too must deliver.

Peter Pan 2 was a surprisingly solid film. The animation was so nice for a sequel, and even though, it was a story that didn't need to be told at all, it was nicely written.

Anyone in this thread dabbling in animation?
I've been experimenting minimally the last few years but I'm incredibly awful at it.

Thanks a million, user. Fucking fantastic.

> animated adaptations of comic books were almost always a given ten years ago, like how Manga always gets an anime adsptstion, and we had just started to get adaptations of adult stuff with the Maxx and spawn, potentially opening up the gates for more, better stuff getting animated.

>flash forward and now superheroes just get live action shows aimed at the couch potato crowd with absolutely zero visual intrigue and basically the entire charm of said characters being stylized is gone in favor of Hollywood "practicality"

It hurts.

Whoa.

I know I get that feel a lot watching Sylvain Chomet's stuff.

this 2d wreck it ralph stuff is top tier, the 3d has nothing on this

>tfw you will never watch Hellboy TaS
>no animated short films adapting stories from Sandman
>you will never experience a full length Bone movie

Why was I even put on this earth

>YFW Luluco

Anyone else "animating" because of this thread?

This made me super inspired so I thought I'd practice. It's shit I know but practice is practice.

Where's this from?

I think that's pretty impressive for something you were inspired on the spot to do.

Thanks, user. It really means alot.

Here's some more

And the last one

Thank you user, I don't play vidja very often, but I'm still buying cuphead just to look at this gorgeous work,and to support the talent behind it.

bump

your brain filters cues from the environment and compares them via association to ones in your memory, most of what we usually get is noise whereas cartoons exaggerate the relevant bits and produce mostly signal

this is why kids have an easier time parsing information from them and why people who are well shall we say not social butterflies by nature tend to gravitate towards waifus rather than fetishising movie stars and super models like the rest

Fred Seibert is a hack

Good thread, I like it.

Animation really is amazing. It's much more comprehensible in its insane dedication, thus, easier to appreciate than a lot of other artforms, but it deserves it.

Ok.

That sounds partially dipped in truth, and partially dipped in bullshit, but I still thank you.

Well there is te Hellboy movies and the piloto of lAmazing Screw ol Head from Mignola. Seeing his style animated was goat.

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

Excellent film

>Excellent film
No it's not.

its slow as balls, but that doesn't make it bad.

let's agree to disagree.

This is awesome, user. Don't ever stop!

Elitism, user. Don't let it get to you. Don't let curators and critics dictate what you love.

Jesus christ, The Illusionist gets me every fucking time. While I appreciate realistic views and philosiphies in art, I still feel depressed as hell after watching this movie.

HOLY
FUCK

This is a happy thread. We need more positive threads on Sup Forums. I've been getting a little burnt out just reading constant negativity and fighting over Hellcat or Marvel vs. DC or Steven Universe vs. Gravity Falls or whatever. This is a nice break.

so much shitty blur filter too

>blur filter
wew

uncross your eyes, user. it's crystal clear, except for the very beginning where nick swishes into frame, which is basically just the 3D equivalent of a smear.

They sure as shit weren't getting paid for it. I get paid better than a japanese animator.

It's a sad fucking feel, user.

>he said posting the latest cancer craze

Posting this
desustorage.org/co/thread/83355892/#83356217

Nice!

>approx 150 frames for few seconds
Jesus, I know how much work goes into animation but to see it in action is a whole nother experience.

This is a good thread

101 FACTS ABOUT

Bless you, OP. You're a wonderful person.

About how much work do you anons think it would take for one user to animate a feature length film? I've been meaning to do it for a while now, based off a graphic novel I wrote and illustrated but I'm expecting it to take years. I've got no money to hire animators or anything.

I love animation as long as it's hand drawn. The computer stuff does nothing for me.

i hope you dont think this is a good example of animation

2D is not dead, it just got full of Merika bulshit and moved away.

It's weird, for some reason Pokemon gifs are consistently top tier stuff. Pokemon fans are something else.

>Why is animation so damn inspiring?
It's not. You're just an easily impressed moron.

I "know" the author of this, Jesse Moynihan. He was an Adventure Time storyboard artist and writer for the same show. He recently said that Manly is coming back, but maybe not for Cartoon Hangover.