Wonder Woman Rebirth #1 Lettered Preview

Rucka is back!

>Sharpe only doing 6 pages

>chris conroy & mark doyle

how based can this be?

pretty certain now we won't get a retcon of azz's origin.

Artgerk variant

FIN

>Artgerk
Artgerm*

That's Stanley Lau.

That's hot.

>chris conroy
Which books has he edited?

Yeah her old origin pre fllash-point is coming back.

Midnighter
Batgirl (the recent one that Sup Forums hates)
Red Lanterns (the Soule run)
Swamp Thing (also the Soule run)
Wonder Woman (the Azz version)
Aquaman (the Parker run)
Black Canary

>pretty certain now we won't get a retcon of azz's origin.

I wish we do. I loved his runs, but turning the amazons into rapists, assassins and baby killers was bad.

i wonder if he'll use the continuity errors to explain like donna troy or something

That really is the only setback of that entire run. But hey, at least we got best bro.

What is this atrocious lettering

That's why i'm hoping for a half-retcon. Rucka can retcon the island and the amazons with the whole "they kept a bunch of lies", but keep the gods and the adventures Azzarello wrote as it is. He'd be just changing the past of the amazons, which were only really told to us, the readers, and WW, by other people.

Why is it bad that he added some cracks to the Amazons armor? That's far more interesting than just some perfect society of women

Frankly I think that the Amazon's get their story back because of this arc...save for Artemis and that's why she's a "Fallen Amazon" when she falls in with Bizarro and Jason Todd.

How is it interesting? What does it add beyond making them cunts?

>the story keeps changing

I actually really love how there's this continuing theme of continuity unraveling post-Rebirth, even if the books themselves don't explicitly tie into the main plot threads from that issue.

what's the point of the braces if she is immune to bullets and lasers

By the opening Arc's end, I predict Diana will have reclaimed her story, and in this arc they will acknowledge how this idea of Wonder being the question rather than a sense of awe is representative of her as a being of clay presently in a malleable state.

>Why is it bad that he added some cracks to the Amazons armor? That's far more interesting than just some perfect society of women

Because it wasn't just a some cracks. He turned them as evil as he could and the whole thing doesn't make no sense. Really, his amazons were underdeveloped.

Think, how can Diana be such a nice person if she was raised in such a toxic culture for years? How can the younger amazons not know about the rape parties? Wouldn't make sense to drill that shit in their heads since the beginning, thus making sure that they'll be 100% prepared and for it when the time come instead of only letting them know when their time come? How can Hyppolita remain a good supporting character when she approved and condoned the whole thing despite being a hypocritical bitch?

See

Moreover, we were told that past by Hephaestus, who might have good reason to make the Amazons look bad. Not only is he the guardian of their male children, but the Amazons are sacred to Hera, whom Hephaestus hates. And since Hephaestus hates his own mother for GOOD reason, it's understandable that he would have a grudge against other mothers who abandoned their children.

gets rid of the whole "without men society would be perfect" shit

And yet Morrison did it so much better with his Earth One.

They were a society that sustained themselves on a horrible act. Honestly how is that different than any other society?

Although you have a point about how it wasn't more well known in their culture.

You can do that without fucking turning them into rapists, back-stabber assassins and baby killers/traders.

That's akin to making the Waynes into satanists.

You can make them flawed without making them objectively evil.

It's not the be-all, end-all take by any means but Morrison managed to do it in EO. There was multiple ways to do it other than what Azz did.

he's drawing all of issue #1

So your only answer is that an island of magical women triggers you?

What said right here. When did interesting become "murderous baby trafficking sociopath"?

To make the point that the world that the Amazons came from (the Classical world of Ancient Greece) was a violent and brutal place and that the Amazons (and the Gods) were that legacy and that Diana tried to break away from it all.

What does making Amazons perfect bring to the table? To justify why WW go out to the world and impose her system of values on people. If patriarchy was black/female and WW was white/male, Tumblr would be screaming sexism/racism/imperialism because at the end of the day Wonder Woman's "mission" is no different from the White Man's Burden/Civilizing Mission except with FEMINISM.

It's almost pointless to argue with you because you seem to think Amazonian perfection is the only alternative to what Azz did.

Its funny because that's how Thomas Hurt tried to hurt Bruce, by marring the memory of his family with just that by means of elaborate fabrication thanks to the Hunter Killer Idea weapon.

When she needs to deflect an omega beam or superman heat vision

>invulnerability

DROPPED

Then you missed the whole point of the amazons m8. They're not actually real human y'know, they're supposed to be like elves and shit-a mythical race that is highly advamced.

>He turned them as evil

No he showed that they were a product of their era (which was the classical civilization of ancient greece) who despite its enormous cultural influences razed entire cities, sold all their inhabitants into slavery, fed people to animals and engaged in barbarity that made would make ISIS blush.

I think motion is meant to be implied, judging by the bullets that deflect off of thin air.

Wait, I get it. She's not invulnerable, she blocked all those bullets in motion, the artist is just shit and couldn't depict that.

PICKED UP.

What does baby killing and having a rape culture bring to the table?

Loving this so far. Based fucking Rucka. Wednesday can't come fast enough. These Rebirth issues are knocking it out of the park.

I agree, please get a new letterer.

Yeah, just realized that

>No he showed that they were a product of their era (which was the classical civilization of ancient greece)

See, mang. The amazons weren't as violent not even in the fucking myths that depicted them as fucking batshit crazy. If he had followed the myths, like you're saying here, the amazons would bone nearby villages and give the male kids back to the men.

The Manazons, which were an interesting addition but were thrown in the garbage by the Finches

besides
>rape

It wasn't, get over it already

They were an intentional reversal of the common perception of the Amazons. The Greeks made them up as anti-woman propaganda, so Marston made them into peace loving hippies.

But even Marston didn't portray them as totally flawless. No writer has. A good way to spot a casual/idiot is if they think the Amazons are written as perfect and always right about everything.

But the Amazons shouldn't be products of the era. They're supposed to be an advanced civilization.

>you seem to think Amazonian perfection is the only alternative to what Azz did.

You seem to miss the fact that what Azz did was in response to a) Amazons being put on the pedestal as an ideal nation without the malign influence of patriarchy to the point that b) Wonder Woman doesn't even have a biological father a fact that was considered a sacred cow by the fandom.

I like this look
she went back to looking like a woman, and not the finch teddy bear hugging girl.

internal; conflict

Glad to at least see the New 52 costume again.

>brunette Hippolyta
>blonde Hippolyta

I wonder if they will ever give a definitive reason to all the retcons.

>internal conflict
That goes nowhere

she grew up, accepted that hers was a flawed nation that she had big shoes to fill as the Queen of the Amazons.

It was addressed and it was supposed to be something to explore further until the Finches shat all over it.

I am not talking about the myths. I am taking about shit the ancient greeks themselves actually did. Razing cities, selling people into slavery, treating non-citizens and women and children as disposable property were all shit that were seen as common everyday cultural practices. The Amazons and what they did in Azz's book was perfectly reasonable from the standpoint of a cultural viewpoint that didn't give a shit about human life that wasn't from your local city-state and only if it had the similar background and gender as you.

It's easy to alter though. Like just make it Ares's fault that the Amazons had to do that, or maybe make Hephaestus not be giving the whole story.

>A
The Amazons are supposed to be advanced, they're supposed to be a hidden civilization rich in culture and technology.
>B
Who her father shouldn't even matter, the parent who should matter to Diana is her mother.

It has been retconned by Johns already, at the beggining of Darkseid War.

It says Diana and Grail were the only children born on the Island (until they revealed Diana's twin brother)

>You seem to miss the fact that what Azz did was in response to a) Amazons being put on the pedestal as an ideal nation without the malign influence of patriarchy

They've never been that, though. Amazons Attack, anyone?

Johns is worthless. Especially with Wonder Woman.

>anyone?

I don't think anyone wants to deal with that ever again.

Having the amazons be baby trafficking murder rapist isn't a flaw it's a fuck-up.

>Amazons Attack

Yeah, the story everybody also lost their shit because the Amazons were doing bad things.

Can Wonder Woman fly now?

What does have to do with them in modern times? Or as fictional amazons?

The creator never would wanted the rapes, killing and etc.Azz dark themes don't fit the rebirth era.

>The creator never would wanted the rapes, killing and etc

Just slavery, every year

The Amazons are not the ancient greeks and trying to make them into Ancient greeks is shit writing.

Damn, looks like Rucka using the Rebirth special to take DC's constant retinkering of WW to task...

Could you guys explain too me then why Wonder Woman doesn't hate men, doesn't want to rape or kill men, doesn't want to drown male babies and so on?

Because let me tell you something, if she grew up in such a place she should be like Aleka. You can't have both ways. You can't have the Amazons Princess that love the entire world, even villains, and that want to bring peace and understanding to the land of men, and also have an island full of men hating baby killer cunts.

Diana should be the daughter of Penthesilea and Achilles.
Not Zeus and Hyppolyta.

It makes so much more sense and fits in with actual Greek legend.

I don't ask for comics to be accurate to legend, but at least give lipservice to it.
It's not the 60s any more where you need to actually read books to learn legends
Wiki that shit. That'll be enough for a baseline.

That way you don't have drunk archeologyfags bitching.

. . . The Amazons weren't Greek. Technically, they were Scythian/Saurmatian.

It you want to try and pull the Historical Accuracy Card.

Slavery or old mating rituals? Marriage used to be arranged. This is just that in reverse.

Seems like a solid list to me.

That was the point, it was always kind of the point of Diana even before Azz's run. She was unique amongst the amazons in her love for man's world.

>turning the amazons into rapists,

All the sailors they had sex with were into it.

Can Wonder Woman fly now?

Because Diana is "special".
She was always fascinated about Man's World.
Sometimes shit washed up on shore and she like the god damned Little Mermaid was all about that shit.
Then Steve showed up and she geeked out and went native pretty quick.

IMO, Diana should be a begrudging acceptor of Man's World.

Like, she goes to the mainland to make the world more peaceful. Not as an ambassador, but rather as a cruise missile.
But she learns to cool down.
That's a better arc, I think, than always having a predilection for non-Amazonian shit.

So the counter to pointing out the disparity is "That's not a bug, that's a feature!"

Doesn't really help the argument, user.

It was heavily implied that they weren't the strawman you think they are. They talk about not agreeing with each other. There were other Amazons leaving the Island.

>Dessa, give me the boy. You don't want to throw him to his death...
>...I never did. EVER.
Besides, Diana didn't feel she was like the others because of the clay story.

My point is that it's an integral part of the character. It's not even a new plot device. Did you complain about this in Jungle Book or Pocahontas? Christ, you must be a pain in the ass to discuss anything with in real life, you pedant.

>it was always kind of the point of Diana even before Azz's run. She was unique amongst the amazons in her love for man's world.

But before her queen and the close amazons were all peaceful people that had no hate for men, only disappointment and prejudice. Azz's amazons were making constants puns about castrating Hermes, like they were salivating at the mere thought of it. That's the difference.

Before the amazons were all "Oh, yeah. men are all violent fools. Forget about them, princess, and continue to eat my cunt". Azz's amazons were all "MAN, I HATE MEN! HAVE I SAID HOW MUCH I HATE MEN YET? I TOTALLY HATE MEN!".

Not a huge fan of some of these one-shots not using the main artists (or even using people on the 2nd art teams for the biweeklies). Just kind of drives home the point that they're a bit worthless to the main story. Yeah, I know Sharp's on the last few pages, but still.

>"Oh, yeah. men are all violent fools. Forget about them, princess, and continue to eat my cunt".

Hope this is a line in the new movie

>Azz's amazons were all "MAN, I HATE MEN! HAVE I SAID HOW MUCH I HATE MEN YET? I TOTALLY HATE MEN!".

Sounds like you didn't even read it.

She's been able to fly since new 52 user. Do you not remember her kiss with SM in the air?

Sharp is overrated tbqh

Go back and read it. They were hunting an injured god and making jokes about how fun it would be to castrate and kill him, all because he had a dong. They kept going at it for the longest time, until they were forced to ally with the outside world to save it and themselves. Even then they didn't liked very much the idea.

she's been able to fly for ages

Considering how most of the DC Gods operate on people's faith in them, perhaps Diana's origin is in a constant state of flux as a side effect of our constant reinterpretation of Greek Mythology

Sort of how Donna Troy is a sentient paradox

>What does baby killing and having a rape culture bring to the table?

To show the shit that she rejected. That the stuff she was against even within her own culture.

Apparently. IIRC, Rucka has usually written WW as being able to fly.

I personally don't recall her flying in Azz WW or even, from the little I've read, Finch WW. But in other places, she's flown: the kiss, Superman 52, and some other places. It's weird because -- as usual -- there's not much consistency with it. And a lot of that is because they never suggest her fastest possible speed.

The different is that before they were moderate and after they became extremists.

>Dessa, give me the boy. You don't want to throw him to his death...
>...I never did. EVER.

That happened after all the bullshit they went through. Even so it was just one among several.

>Considering how most of the DC Gods operate on people's faith in them
How the fuck do the New God's work then?
Or even the Greek gods? Since only Amazons care about them.

I doubt your statement.

Yeah, and that was one time, when they were trying to scare invasors, and lasted like 2 pages.

They hated men otherwise, but just the silent bitterness as always.

And that point doesn't matter. Even acknowledging that it is part of her character, no version of the story before required or hinged on turning the Amazons en mass into, well, what the Ancient Greeks thought of them.

Monsters. Literal perversions of the natural order.

Taking something that was basically conceived as a Heaven-like place ("Paradise Island") and turning it into Monster Island is a pretty big misstep.

Historical Accuracy my ass, we're talking about Wonder Woman here, and she was conceived with a very specific purpose in mind. So, sullying that works against the framework and the heart of the character.

Just to nail the point further, both Wonder Woman: Earth One, and The Legend of Wonder Woman managed to put Amazons in an Adversarial Position to the protagonist without resorting to vilification.