Green Lantern movie

Is hating on pic related just a meme, and why does everyone think it was so bad. If you ask me it is a pretty good movie like a 7/10, what does Sup Forums think

Sinestro was good.

you have really low standards. The only scene that sort of worked was Hal trying to put on a hero voice in front of Carol and that not working.

Yes, the bad reviews, negative audience reaction, poor box office, tons of unsold merchandise, and disownership by the lead actor were all just a meme. For intertube lulz.

CGI costume was a mistake, makes the effort to include every lantern you can think of but does nothing with them, decided to dick around earth rather than cool space locations, combined two villains into one disgusting shit monster, and the after credits scene makes no sense given what Sinestro witnessed. It's a shame really, this could have been great. First Flight is leagues better

I kind of think the excessive bad reviews and negative audience reaction were caused by the star shitting on the movie constantly.

All the original source material was insanely rushed. You could base five movies on the training alone. Becoming a hero arcs were just a cutscene. Even the fucking start where the ring finds hal was rushed.

They just wanted an excuse to get to a badguy yellow thing killing everyone.

I didn't see this movie but why they picked Ryan Reynolds to be Hal Jordan??

He should be played by someone who looks like a USAF pilot, not a comedian with abs.

But you could say that about almost every capeshit movie, they are deisgned to sum stiff up quick to get to the actual movie not hours of backstory and excessive training. People go to action movie to see action not hours of source material.

I blame Ryan Reynolds for it doing bad he wasn't cut out to be GL, and he just shat on the movie killing it for the audience.

Never saw it. I wasn't really into Green Lantern at the time, but I think he's cool now. Also I heard the movie was bad, so there wasn't much reason for me to watch it. Is it worth a shot or is it unwatchable?

If you ask me its pretty good not amazing but not bad I dont know why it got so much shitty reviews. But most of the reviews are hating on Hal Jordans character development, which is mostly opinion. I would say watch it its worth it.

Its around the same level as the first 2 Fantastic Four movies. Nothing that will piss you off, just forgetful and rather bland

I think it falls a little higher than those movies like at least 2 points higher. Since it seemed to have better pacing then those and the dialogue didn't seem as cheap as those.

How about the action?

it's surprising how accurate the comparison to the ff movie is, even the galactus tier boss was the same. Such a shame that cosmic properties got the shaft so hard.

Yea but it seemed to have more action then the ff movies before the final boss

Say what you will about Green Lantern, at least it's not Elektra.

kek this movie was just crap 0/10ign

That's ok user. You're just a moron who needs the most basic things explained to you.

But id still eat her ass out.

pls explain everything

Back then cape movies were not common, so every cape movie was compared with batman begins

And in contrast to BB, GL sucked ass. But now that we had a ton of cape movies released we can see that movies far worse than GL can and will be made. Lot of them will even make money despite sucking ass

so would any of you say this is better than the capeshit marvel keeps crapping out

I would say this is better than meme pool which was just the trailer with another 50 jokes added.

Having seen it when it came out, I don't remember a god damn thing about this movie except that Hal and the villain dude were completely insufferable.

And that the CGI sucked donkey balls.

(OP)
It's as watchable as say Affleck's Daredevil was watchable. Or say Kick Ass 1/2. I have no desire to see any of them again but I don't really feel I wasted 90 minutes of my life on any of them either.

GL isn't a steaming POS like Catwoman, but neither is a technically proficient albeit dull and uninteresting bit of dross as Fantastic Four was.

Catwoman has been out - and the last two Batman movies pre-Nolan. So you definitely had plenty to compare it to. I think the X-Men movies were better comparisons, because Batman did not require a lot of CGI, especially the way Nolan shot the first firm, where as GL did and I think reviewers understood that.

Sup Forums likes to hate, you MUST have noticed that by now.
It's not a bad movie, it's not a good movie either.
It's over the top and the only good thing about it was the villain - him I believed in, his motivations were fine. Eveybody else I pitited for having to act to such a wibbly script.

I've only seen some of the Marvel movies. Green Lantern is more similar to them in tone than, say, Nolan Batman. But, even though the Marvel movies are just kinda safe popcorn movies (which is probably why I've only bothered to watch some of them), they are at least pretty tight (with the exception of Iron Man 2, which was almost in BvS territory in terms of just being a sequence of stupid shit happening for no reason). Green Lantern isn't as tight as, say, Iron Man or Winter Soldier. It's like, there are a lot of things that aren't exactly plot holes, but are just really contrived and stupid (for example, Hal Jordan quits the Corps after like three minutes of training on Oa, but they don't bother to take his ring back, because if they did, they wouldn't be able to have the scene where his ring randomly alerts him to Hector Hammond doing bad shit somehow and they fight).

So, I'd say the average Marvel movie is better than Green Lantern, and GL isn't a must-see unless you are just a GL fan who is curious to see what his movie was like. It also feels really rushed, like they cut a lot out to make it really short for financial reasons (shorter = more viewings a day = more money), and none of the characters feel developed, they just go through the motions.

I rather liked Elektra - I see how it waffled sideways from the comicbook origins - but as a movie, it was fine. Also Garner is dead sexy.

>that feel when Ben Affleck was part of the wrong set of Marvel movies

Say what you will about this film, Hammond was really fucking good in it.

>Catwoman has been out - and the last two Batman movies pre-Nolan. So you definitely had plenty to compare it to

You compare it with a recent good standard not some garbage or old stuff

The CGI was awful.
And in a movie like this, that's a BIG strike against it.

Other strikes are the fact that the "hero" is completely unsympathetic, it's a space opera set on Earth, the actors have no chemistry...

Garner has just the worst manface, and I mean the real kind, not the "everyone on the internet is super-picky and says girls have a manface all the time" kind, and her so-called acting is actually, I think, the main reason Affleck Daredevil didn't work as a movie.

I actually think Elektra is worse than Catwoman. Granted that's like saying "vomit is worse than shit", but there you go.

>How did you know it was me?
>What do you mean? I've known you my whole life! I've seen you naked! You don't I think I would recognize you because I can't see your cheekbones?

This is still my favorite comedy bit in any comic book movie

Taste differs man - that's all.

I liked it. Wasn't ashamed to be based on a comic like so many of DC's movies now. Sequel would have been great.

Ben pls go

Are we being serious right now? Again somehow? I don't understand it, but it seems like any time I talk to someone about this movie, they either thought it was okay or somehow completely forgot its biggest flaws existed. Like it's okay to do that. I always feel like I'm walking through crazy town in Green Lantern movie discussions, just like I did in the theater. The scenes literally do not follow each other. They are different but similar stories jammed up against each other and plastered over with green hotwheels. Hal Jordan will be talking to someone in one scene, then we cut to a villain doing something bad in a top secret base of top secret science. Fine. Then for no explained reason, through no explained means, using information never actually gained by the character or explained to be obtainable by him, Hal pops into the lab in a green lantern outfit to beat the shit out of him. These were separate plotlines entirely that never came together in the story, just Hal Jordan completely randomly showed up and ripped the ceiling off super secret science lab to fight a villain he didn't know about. This shit happened a couple times too. I don't care how well the actors played their roles, how convincing the CGI is, how cool the worldbuilding was, or even how well the source material was represented. This is a failure of storytelling on the most fundamental level. At least Catwoman, which I maintain was horrible, was only a story that was stupid at every level. GL wasn't a story. It was a fucking clipshow of unrelated events.

The movie sorta tried to establish that whenever the ring is flashing and beeping at him, it's actually talking and telling him about something he needs to go do, i.e. it can detect danger or crime and give him a GPS location.

In the comics, this makes a lot more sense because we can HEAR the ring AI's voice fucking talk to the wearer out loud instead of "Oh, it's flashing at him...figure it out, audience!"

Outside of the costumes the CGI wasent that bad
But holy shit those fucking costumes I saw deadpool yesterday and the refrence to them reminded me just how fucking horrible they were

I wonder what voice they will use for the ring in justice league

It's bad by DC standards. It's in the middle for Marvel movies, so around the Thor level of quality. Marvel have still to find an actor that's as captivating as Mark Strong as Sinestro.

but muh Rotten Tomatoes

>It's in the middle for Marvel movies, so around the Thor level of quality.
L O L
O
L

Dicking around on Earth is fine but pushing Parallax at the same time is a big mistake

>First Flight is better

SERIOUSLY

HOW DID YOU FUCK THIS UP WARNER BROS?

JUST MAKE IT TRAINING DAY IN SPACE. BOOM. DONE.

Is that you Johns?! I swear to shit if you ruin GLC by refocusing everything back to Hal, Carol and Earth again you're going to need a Black Lantern ring to keep working with WB.

Previous user I was responding to suggested that because Nolan movies were out (and at the time only Batman Begin had been out), that all cape movies would be compared to it.

My point, if you hadn't failed reading comprehension, was that there were plenty of other movies to compare it (as other anons here compared it to the early, FF movies).

CGI then was pretty bad generally. The work in Superman Returns was good, it still stands up. But the Fantastic Four movies, it does not. A better comparison is a movie with a similar budget - again, say Fantastic Four. Bad video grabs from TV sets that people use of Chris Evan's Johnny Storm flying looking decent now, compared to the bad CGI of Ryan's GL outfit.

he's actually one of the reasons for a movie going wrong

Green Lantern came out in 2011.

>Marvel have still to find an actor that's as captivating as Mark Strong as Sinestro.
I literally don't remember a thing about Sinestro's performance