We all know how big of a deal Preacher was back in the day it came out...

We all know how big of a deal Preacher was back in the day it came out, but how controversial do you think it would be today? Would it actually get even more backlash and hate thanks to the magic of twitter and social media? Or would it even barely get a raised eyebrow?

Depends on how the creators/writers would respond to it

I'm sure it would either be completely wrecked by SJWs or fly under their radar and be ignored.

I'm not sure Ennis even owns an internet-capable computer.

I know he had a rep for being a luddite.

But he would probably be approached by news sites for interviews

Damnkidsgetoffmylawn.

It would piss off the religious right. The whole plot is about a preacher looking for God so he can tell him to his face that he's an asshole. The mentally and physically handicapped inbred descendant of Jesus Christ was crushed to death by an obese Pope-like figure.

Are you so delusional that you can't understand that it's the writer that decides what goes into their stories?
Your SJW boogieman isn't a real thing.
If Ennis wanted to write some watered-down conformist piece of crap, he would have listened to psychos like you that wouldn't have allowed White Texas to be depicted as such an inbred Right-wing hellhole.
And he damned well wouldn't have so obviously enjoyed writing the sheer sacrilege of this magnum opus.

Wake the fuck up and pay attention to the story.

Kiddoe, we are all about to find out, because there's a whole world full of TV viewers who had never heard of this wonderfully offensive story before now.

>Are you so delusional that you can't understand that it's the writer that decides what goes into their stories?
You're strawmanning real hard here, or maybe you're so delusional you don't care what was in my post and just made a bunch of shit up.
>Your SJW boogieman isn't a real thing
Yes it is. Fox just apologized for "encouraging violence against women" with their Apocalypse poster. You can't tell me that didn't happen.
>psychos like you
Dude, what is your problem? I love Preacher. Why are you acting like I said something negative about it?

How many ongoing TV shows does this make for DC now, something like eight? Jesus. They're dominating the TV screen.

The TV show so far has been pretty tame, so unless AMC is able to make Preacher into a new phenomenon where casuals will drone to read Preacher, it won't happen.

>It would piss off the religious right.
1- It did. That was the controversy back then. The RR hated it.
2-It would still do the same thing today, but since SJWs and the like are basically the antithesis of the RR, they wouldn't bat an eye. They'd probably praise it for pissing off the 'enemy'.

There was a time when the comics code forbade any mention of drugs, including any anti-drug messages. I assume SJWs work the same way, any depiction of racism, even if it's shown in a bad light, is bad.

I don't know, I just listened a podcast where they read the first couple of trades of the comic in preparation for the TV show and they were really uncomfortable with the over the top violence, the excessive use of profanity and use of the 'N-word' and didn't really seem to get at all that the central thematic premise of the book was the deconstruct America and its identity, hence the high focus on Texas, John Wayne, religion, sex, violence, etc. They did make some good points about the book being a very idiosyncratic of the 90s but seem completely oblivious to the fact that it was an Irish dude writing in a very cheeky satirical analysis of America.

Well I'm coming in late, I just started watching the show but this is kind of making me want to get started on the comics. Is it worth it?

>the 'N-word'
I blame the Martian Niggers.

The comics are superior, duh.

Steve Dillon's art was surprising good in those early issues.

Shame he got so lazy later.

The comic is far superior, and different.

Why would SJWs hate it? It's anti-christian and anti-racist. Seems like it's right up their alley.
pic related

I honestly don't know if conservatives even care anymore.
Supernatural themed TV shows with elements involving religions, exorcism, demons and angels or even God Himself have been around quite a while.
I mean look at Supernatural, the shit's been going 10 seasons, or is it 11 now? How about Lucifer? They are literally portraying The Enemy as the main protagonist of the show, yet the world still hasn't come to an end.
Many SJWs, on the other hand, have been monitoring media quite closely and screaming at anything they felt uncomfortable with even if it's out of context and supposedly support their own idea. Not saying this is the mind of real activists, but seriously they have a lot of dumb followers who can't tell the difference between satire and real discrimination.

Save us Sheriff Root!

Space Dandy was being sarcastic about the quota of fan service in anime by depicting a Boobstaurant. As niche as the anime is, look how that turn out...

Oh they'd totally get mad once you got to the "Jesus had a kid and he's a shit throwing retard" and God is an absolute asshole territory.

It's true that touching upon basic christian concepts these days barely raises an eyebrow, but once you get to the point where you're specifically 'attacking' founding blocks of Judeo-Christian church, people will get pissed.

user, meet and and and Seems to me like there's a fair amount of those conservative values being espoused after all.
Where was this "conservatives not caring anymore" that you've spoken of ???
Seems like a lot of those values have been conserved right here and now, can't you see them?

It's 2016.
Being a Christian is worse than being a muslim extremist these days, nobody would care.

'Dandy was laughably tame compared to the ecchi anime stuff Japan broadcasts over their airwaves even during primetime.
You're assuming the world runs by different rules than it really does, user.

I'm not a conservative you dumb shit. I'm liberal as fuck. A REAL liberal. Real liberals don't buy into sjws racist and sexist worldview.

"...you shall know them through their works" -- Preacher said so

What happened?

Christianity is shit on so regularly, Preacher actually has no real edge to it at all.

They'll praise Tulip for being a strong female character then shit on Jesse for wanting her to not get hurt and protect her. Then throw words like "modern, backwards, chauvinistic, mansplain" when Jesse perfectly explains and rationalize the way he is

I want Sup Forums to leave.

This isn't the thread where everyone shares their fantasies about how the big bad SJW boogieman is going to attack them through their TVs.
This is the thread where people who have read a comic talk about how a new generation will respond to that comic.
Can you see the difference?

Alzheimer's is a hell of a thing, user

Hahahaha, no.

But that happens so often it's not even fantasizing, it's just painfully obvious how it works.

Horseshoe theory is applicable to the religious right and the offended left. Aside from the christfaggotry, they'd even get upset about the very same things.

Frank Miller and Alan Moore getting married when?

...kay, I'll go hang myself.

Still not what the fucking thread is about, moron.
There's five of those "FUCK SJWs" threads on Sup Forums as is and the assfaces from Sup Forums keep opening up more.
Do you see why I'm here telling you to "go fuck yourself" in red text?
Leave this thread alone, go shit out Sup Forums crap somewhere else.

Lol read the OP you whiny faggot. Thread's about controversy and "sjw"s are an example

I don't understand you, user. PC culture and getting offended at everything is what today's culture is all about. You can't talk about the reactions of people today without taking that into account.

We need a proper Preacher thread then. This is as pointless as trying to discuss something solid in the comment section of a reaction video.

That post was in response to the delusion that the Preacher COMIC was going to be commandeered by SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS who would force strawman arguments to prove their invalid points about how persecuted they were!
(I want you two to think about that idea and what goes into doing that sort of thing, now think about your own posts)
NOW, this is a fact: Garth Ennis ALONE wrote Preacher.
Explain to me how the social justice warriors are going to force Garth Ennis to go back in time and rewrite the pages so as to make that scene you're both so fucking afraid of.
Fucking inbred moron shiteating chicken-fucker shaved baboons like you should learn to read before you post.

>
>
> Explain to me how the social justice warriors are going to force Garth Ennis to go back in time and rewrite the pages so as to make that scene you're both so fucking afraid of.

Damn nigga missed the point

>That post was in response to the delusion that the Preacher COMIC was going to be commandeered by SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS who would force strawman arguments to prove their invalid points about how persecuted they were!
I must've missed such a post. Can't see it anywhere in the thread.

What IS IT with the way he draws lips?

Too full and sensual for you?