Turn to Adult Swim right now Sup Forums

Turn to Adult Swim right now Sup Forums.

It's something really weird

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pvAdqU7WBYg
archive.org/stream/TheTestamentOfAdolfHitler/TOAH_djvu.txt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't have cable, but is it more Alan Resnick material?

Mulchtown?

What is it? Not USAian.

Looks like it, it's another infomercial thing. Staged like a mello documentary

It's just a series of skits about some hick town, but the melancholy voices narrating it are really disconnected in a jarring way and it's kind of unsettling.

Metropolis adapted from the manga of same name, by Tezuka.
The end is kind of fucked up.

I don't get it

Saw it when I was a kid. Man, I loved the sad ending.

What's more fucked up is how the manga was a oneshot about baseball and the movie is about
Post-retro-modern-future city state reminiscent of Babylon/Tower of Babel with a WMD-esque weapon and their attempt at total control and at the same time social controversy about humanity and machines, particularly self-aware descriminated machines getting murdered by humans who are angry that their lives have gone to shit because said machines are quite effectively replacing them in their own jobs. Oh and a little boy and girl robot much about and are involved. AND it all looks like astoboy

This movie got me into Ray Charles.

Also as a kid got me confused on why a Japanese movie had Ray Charles.

What the shit did I just watch?

>Pure and Utter Dispair

I WARNED YOU! I WARNED YOU!

I don't really mind the ending, as creepy as it is. What really scared me back then was how brutal her transformation was. It looks like someone being melted alive.

Hey, I watched that on DVD just a few days ago!

So is Adult Swim's MO these days basically to fuck with the heads of the stoners watching their programming at four in the morning on weeknights?

I watched the movie as a kid thinking it would be like Sailor Moon cause I saw some anime looking girl with blonde hair on the cover.

I was very wrong.

Or just record and watch whenever. DVR is a thing.

lel, that's how I got to watch the ultra-violent imported shit as a 5yo.

That was the dumbest, most pointless thing I've ever seen on Adult Swim. Which is saying something, considering all the Tim and Eric tier shit they also air.

It wasn't that bad.

Tfw no cable

Metropolis is a great movie

>Metropolis
If it's what I think it is, the original source is actually a 1927 German film directed by Fritz Lang, also named "Metropolis".

youtube link when?

Oh fuck, I watched that when I was a kid. It was great. I can finally watch that again. Made my day.

Tezuka took the name from a poster of that movie, but he never saw the movie itself.

Nah it's not really the same thing, the Manga was probably inspired by the Fritz Lang film, but they're two separate stories.

lol artists

>yfw you can't stop loving her.

>Tower of Babel
>robots
>rioting underclasses
I know they're not the same story, but they share a lot of symbolism. Not an adaptation, but definitely inspired by.

The movie is half Tezuka's work, half the-actual-film-named-Metropolis.

Haven't watched it since i saw it in the movies many moons ago

Oh yeah it's definitely inspired by it but they take two completely different routes with the themes.

should've ended with everyone dying. very disappointed that it didn't.

Usually these things arent scheduled and show up as another show in the channel guide. Everything past 1am is usually a rerun too so why record the second viewing? No one DVRs it. All the bumps that late are 100% to fuck with stoners

I'm pretty sure Alan said he wasn't gonna do infomercials anymore.

favourite scene
favourite song
youtube.com/watch?v=pvAdqU7WBYg

>baseball
The fuck manga did you read?

Shit I wish I could've DVRed it but adult swim has too much unscripted stuff

You could just record it all to your HDD every day and only keep stuff that was awesome.

I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU

I watched it a few month back after being really interested in Tezuka's work. I laughed my ass off at the end because while the ending reminded me of Akira, the musical dissonance made it completely hilarious. Still, it's a great film.

Metropolis is a masterpiece.

THE MEDIATOR BETWEEN HEAD AND HANDS MUST BE THE HEART

>tfw the Mickey Mouse clones started attacking everyone

This manga was a fucking fever dream of insanity.

Good stuff

What happened I apparently missed it

Thanks Fritz.

No really, both Metropolises are pretty great.

>tfw metropolis was the first anime movie i have any memory of watching
>tfw missed the airing last night because i was playing ds2 instead

Indeed it was.

> Looks like an old manga
> Reads Left to Right

Just yesterday I suddenly decided to watch it (for the first time)
And so I downloaded and watched it.
Weird coincident.
I might say that for me it was somewhat hard to stomach all that symbolism accompanied by such character design (yeah totally not a Tezuka fan).

Metropolis (the silent film) had everything that makes cyberpunk cyberpunk.

Flying cars, megacorporation nations, wage slaves, GRATUITOUS JAPANESE!

The silent film didn't have any Japanese. It just had lots and lots of biblical metaphors and Tommy Lee Jones.

In correct!

Several of the signs in the red light district are written in Japanese.

I don't remember anything about the red light district aside from the robot seductress' dance. That's kinda surprising, I thought it was pre-world war II since Hitler kinda destroyed the German film industry with his shit taste. How much did Germany know about Japan back then?

It is a manga, but most of Tezuka's work got flipped around during translation since it was done in the mid-20th century.

Don't worry, the rebuilt her (or at least attempted to)

I'VE MADE UP MY MIND

What's wrong with the character design? Tezuka's work in general isn't really that different from classic early 20th century cartoons.

The German public was briefly subjected to propaganda suggesting that Japan was a lost tribe of Aryans in order to justify their alliance while maintaining public support. So they probably had some weird ideas about Japan.

Well, given the fact that the japanese attacked german oversea colonies during the first world war, quite a bit.

But seriously, you have to see the most complete cut. There's this entire montage as Joh goes through the red light district and some of the signs are in Japanese.

I think I have the most complete cut, I got the blu-ray from Kino.

How many years ago? Because a lot of footage was recovered relatively recently in South America. You can tell if it's the "new" footage because some bits were scavenged from film so old it was impossible to restore it properly, and there are a couple of very short segments that are clearly much more choppy with a scum of black lines over everything. Still better having it just to view the film more complete.

This. The red light district is called "Yoshiwara."

Wait, a random anime movie not on Toonami aired last night?

yeah

they do that sometimes at random when no one expects it

I think it was a bump between the 2 "infomercial" programs like the Floridada video.

I think I got it last year. I may just not remember it.

There's still 15 minutes missing from the film, I believe.

They sum it up via intertitle.

>The German public was briefly subjected to propaganda suggesting that Japan was a lost tribe of Aryans in order to justify their alliance while maintaining public support

Wait seriously?

>implying you can be racist against robots

Hitler was the biggest weeb in the world.
archive.org/stream/TheTestamentOfAdolfHitler/TOAH_djvu.txt
CTRL+F Japan

It's was a pet theory of Himmler's. Dunno about propaganda.

Everyone knows Japan is actually a lost tribe of Jews.

Jokes on you uncle Hitler.

>implying

I MADE UP MY MIND

>there are other people on Sup Forums who have seen Metropolis
noice

>Humans build awesome tower.
>God gets jelly and decides to fuck over the entire city by making them all speak different languages.
There is no end to how big of a bag of dicks God is.

Huh. I saw this movie a few days ago.

Weird.

It's my favourite movie of all time.

>implying

I am who?

To be fair, they made that tower specifically to fuck with God and more or less spit in his face. Also he's mellowed out significantly after the New Testament. Don't see what that has to do with the subject at hand though.

Somebody brought up Metropolis (which had the Ziggurat), and Jews. It was inevitable.

The Tower of Babel figures prominently in the 1927 film, but even there it is more-or-less given a new context

I find this the funniest about Christianity. They spout all of that God works in mysterious ways shit, but if you look at the old testament, you can clearly see his motivation: wrath, jealousy, pride, greed. For a god, he's a slave to the most base desires. The one thing that he's supposed to be driven by according to the bible — love, is the only thing completely absent. And the only mercy he shows, is the psychopathic murderer kind of pulling out ALL of your fingernails, just a few so you learn a lesson ad never disobey again.

It's so similar to other mythologies that it's baffling Christians don't see the resemblance.

I've never seen Tezuka's Metropolis. I have seen the 2001 cut of Lang's Metropolis and the 2010 complete cut and I've seen the 1960s and 1980s Astro Boy cartons and read the manga... but if I had to go with machines that have sad endings, I'd pick Tezuka's understudy: Shoutarou Ishinomori and his Kikaider -- preferably the 2001 anime.

That was the best thing Adult Swim aired in 2003 other than uncut YuYu Hakusho before it moved to Toonami in the afternoons edited and airing Blue Gender.

Well, they only recognize him as dad God. Which is the more mellow God. Even then, he had is own son killed. So much for quitting blood lust.

I remember this movie from when I was a teen. It's the only movie to make me bawl for an hour afterward. Never let anyone know.

Based off The Only Son, one of Yasujiro Ozu's films from back in the 30's, the Japanese must have had enough contact with Germany to have German language films in some of their theatres and German posters in the main character's apartment. Granted, it could have just been a statement about how urban life was retreating from the traditional japanese way of life, but I think this still stands as an example of pre-WW2 Japan having some German influence and connections. I'm not sure if it went both ways.

It seems odd that Nazism and the Swastika has more to do with anti-semitism now when originally it was first and foremost about Germany. Jews were just a scapegoat for Germany's failings up until that point.

Christianity is much less about Yahweh and more about Jesus. The Old Testament is like required reading for Christians, but it's the Jesus shit they obsess over. It's like people who prefer Dragon Ball Z over Dragon Ball. It's there and it's essential to understand what's going on, but the latter part is more popular, widespread and financially successful.

It's weird. DBZ was supposed to be more about Gohan, but it still ended up being about Goku.

>translation: I'm a homo in debt

>For a god, he's a slave to the most base desires.
Gods are all but defined by being slaves to emotion. They wouldn't be athropomorphizations if they weren't.

Probably the worst incarnation of Rock.

Even worse than the one that triggers the apocalypse by blindly following the orders of a supercomputer.
They both are guilty of rape, in any case.