If you look at the bottom of this image you can see that Iceland had a word for cat...

If you look at the bottom of this image you can see that Iceland had a word for cat. Why is that when Iceland would have been too cold for cats?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2JcsXzBoqQg
youtube.com/watch?v=jvgYLAKpU5g
youtube.com/watch?v=Jv3-vhwyvtU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Iclanders saw cats in Sweden and Norway when they were sea faring and traded goods.

I was gonna say this, and that they may have learned about them through other traders who went to Iceland.

Finnish really is a mess.

Yeah it just like in any other countries.
You wouldn't see any muslims in England before yet they had a word for it.

iceland had no natives before the norse permanently settled

>canadian and russian education

Finnish is unrelated to other nordic languages. I don't know why it was even put there.

probably to bully finnish cat

Because of its vicinity and the fact that people know it’s not Slavic so they probably mistakenly assume it’s Germanic.

So many of these words are similar to ours, why not include german in this?

not nordic

That's because they are Germanic languages. Just like English IS a Germanic language, in syntax/grammar, but almost Latinate in semantics.

You should cleanse your language from the latin pest

sw*des tried to destroy our language and culture, but we resisted and kept our unique snowflake status

Cause they are just norwegians in denial

I agree, Old English was the most aesthetic:
>youtube.com/watch?v=2JcsXzBoqQg
>youtube.com/watch?v=jvgYLAKpU5g
>youtube.com/watch?v=Jv3-vhwyvtU
Ignore the awful accent, I think these were made by an American.

wew i wonder why americans have the word "white" in their dictionary then

Canadian, sorry.

True, but a lot of people probably never used the word cat in their every day lives because there were no cats around. Even though it is true the word did just got brought over from the original norse settlers, it was probably only in an average person's vocab because of traders from other places.

It's strange, I can almost understand this.

Its from the webcomic ssss which is made by a fennoswede and focuses on the nordic countries

Cats where present in nordic mythology
That and the fact that they hunt pests like mice made that having a cat must have been commonplace
So the word cat must have been a word used by many people

we also had words for animals that doesn't exist in our countries, I don't know why this is surprising