What happened, Sup Forums?

What happened, Sup Forums?
I thought Apocalyse was suppose to save the X-Men franchise? And beat the MCU?! They even brought Singer back again. And yet it lost to Captain America Civil War (even though DoFP beat Ultron)?? And critics hated it more than X-Men The Last Stand???!!!!!

What happened?

It wasn't, nobody said so, nobody was hyped, and it wasn't anything special.

>average rating 5.6/10
6/10 is pretty accurate TBQH.

Comparing those two?

Novelty wore off and general standards got higher.

Things don't have to be 'good for a comic book movie', they have got to be good.

There is no super-hero fatigue, there's superhero integration. Every 'superhero' movie now has to either bring something new to the table, or meaningfully advance the plot of a long standing series.

Apoc did none of those.

I really enjoyed it. Quicksilver scene made me jizz my pants

/thread
Superhero novelty wore off, and you no longer have the
>DUDE IT'S FUCKING WOLVERINE ON THE BIG SCREEN
impact.

>jizz my pants
First Redditor of the thread.

It says ROTTEN, user. Rotten=Bad Movie. If it was a good movie, it would say Fresh (like Deadpool and Civil War). But it doesn't. It says Rotten. Which means it is a bad movie.

I watched it the other day. It seriously comes across like a bad sci fi channel movie. Everyone delivers their lines like they can't wait to break for lunch.

It's a 6/10, which means it's not bad. It's just not good enough to be worth your time.

Are you making fun of people who don't know how RT works or trolling? This board has such low level bate nowadays that I can't tell.

After DOFT and Deadpool success Disney started paying critics to damage a possible competitor

How come Alice 2 got panned.

6/10 means worth a watch if you can borrow it from a friend or happen to find a copy floating off the shore of Somalia.

Alice 1 was shit as well tho. I have no fucking idea how it made money. Must be Burton bots.

I wish they made a movie about that edgy Alice game instead.

It made money because Avatar came out months before and it was the first big 3D movie to come out since that one.
Don't know why they even made a sequel, and why they decided to wait 6 years to make one.

This, the standards for good cape films has increased.

The X-Men (like Raimi Spider-Man) come from a time when there weren't many Superhero films. Because of this a lot of people cut them slack for not being perfect. Now we got the MCU increasing the stakes. Even Spielberg liked GotG.

I honestly dont give a fuck what reviewers are saying. its one of the best xmen films and it did something almost no superhero films do today,IT STUCK TO THE FUCKING SOURCE MATERIAL. This movie acutally tried hard to stick its roots unliike civil whore that only thing it shared close to its roots were iron man and captain america fighting about something,plus the film had better pacing that civil bore as it didnt have deep politcal scenes then blast your ass action scenes one after another. Civil war wasnt bad but xmen apocalyse was a WAY better comic book movie while i know some dumbass normie is going to say civil was a better film while it may ne but i like my comic book movies to RESPECT THE DAMNED MATERIAL.

Rotten=Bad Movie
Fresh=Good Movie
There's no tip-towing around it. If RT says a movie is rotten (by the critics) then it is a bad movie. Nuff Said

The first ten minutes was stupid.
>Apocalypse getting his clothes changed by his horseman while they falling at high speeds with the worst cgi.

I don't fucking know. Days of Future Past had such a well crafted script and I really thought they were onto something there.
But this movie felt like they shat out the script in an afternoon.
It felt like no one involved with this movie fucking cared about it.

Everyone is just doing their job and any real excitement or creativity is completely missing.

Everything was either forgettable or just more of the fucking same. More Xavier, more Magneto, more Mystique, more Weapon X, another Quicksilver scene, a little bit of Jean and Scott, a whole lot of "remember this?", the phoenix a-fucking-gain and another one of the fucking "The REAL X-Men begins here. THE END."

You know, I didn't dislike this movie too much when I had just watched it, but as more time passes, it just becomes more and more clear that I will probably never purposely watch it again. No, not the director's cut either.
The things I liked about it were ultimately drowned out by the rest of this shitty movie and I don't care enough about that stuff to go back and revisit it.

this. Movies like BvS and Apoc would have been great 10-16 years ago but these aren't specialty interest anymore.

You forgot your picture, 1.jpg

Fox should just give the rights back to Marvel

>stuck to the source material
0/8 b8, m8

They didn't care why the first one made a billion dollars, just that it made a billion dollars. When you have something that successful, it's not a big leap to decide "hey maybe we should whore this out a bit more for a quick buck." Though I agree, why it took them 6 years is beyond me. Maybe they kept trying to get Tim Burton to do it and eventually settled for the bargain bin director that ended up making it instead.

Disney probably paid critics.

Quick, compare their ratings for DC/Fox's movies to their ratings for Marvel's movies.

Just use the ones from Alice. That's Disney too.

>IT STUCK TO THE FUCKING SOURCE MATERIAL
I want this fucking meme to end.

>Cyclops in the centre. With a smile on his face.
>Wolverine is 3 or 4 layers out.
>Mystique in the background

These were the times.

>,IT STUCK TO THE FUCKING SOURCE MATERIAL
Exactly, they made Apocalypse a boring, uninteresting jobber.

But where's Bobby?

They wont even give the FF4 rights and you think they will give the X-Men??

>go see this yesterday
>starts out pretty good
>30 mins pass
>hey maybe all those reviews were wrong
>psylocke becomes horseman for seemingly no reason, which then gets followed up with that tonally fucked Magneto revenge/teleport to Auschwitz scene
>movie is seriously starting to drag at this point
>out of nowhere Styker shows up to stall the movie for 30 minutes
>realize its just going to get worse from here on out
>that convoluted as fuck X-men free Wolverine coincidence cameo
>then the movie actually continues
>its laughably bad CGI and piss poor wire work for 40 more minutes
>there's even a hackneyed explanation for Xavier losing his fucking hair

This movie sucked. Its the action movie we all knew Singer wasn't capable of pulling off. Fox finally caved to his budget requests and this is what we got. The other movies had real ideals and themes and this one is just.... hey this guy is strong, we need to stop him and save the world.

And honestly, anyone that says this is good cause its like my comics must not have been reading the same comics as me. This feels like fan fiction within the movie-verse, not some straight outta X-Factor shit in the slightest.

I'm honestly blown away how the fuck Singer made a phenomenal movie with DoFP and follows up with this abortion.

You made hate him but it was Wolverine's inclusion and the All New All Different team that make the X-Men popular though. The O5 team was so boring that almost got the X-Men cancelled.

I don't hate wolverine on principle, I hate him being the main guy and being everywhere. He works best as the mysterious bassist in group dynamics, not as the lead guitarist/singer.

>I let the opinion of others dictate whether I find a movie good or not

Kek.
Let's not forget the Force Awakens has a 91% on RT.

Tell me why I should ever use that site as a no-exceptions measure of quality.

There's another Wolverine to the left.
That Wolverine is from Days of Future Past along with old Kitty right in front of him. Regular Kitty is also there again at the bottom.

He basically never showed up in Claremont stuff outside of the two(?) occasions where the new team fought the O5.
Iceman only got more exposure again after X-Factor started up and he just got dragged along as "one of the O5". He's a light hearted character with not a lot going on. They tried to make him interesting by putting him in relationships with different characters, then they power creeped him, now they made him gay in a desperate attempt to find something for him to do.

Disney, but not Marvel.
There isn't a three-to-five studio-wide console war going on between adaptations of Lewis Carroll books.

>but it was Wolverine's inclusion and the All New All Different team that make the X-Men popular though
When Claremont started his run, Wolverine was a little shit, constantly bitching randomly at the actually cool members of the team, Storm and Cyclops.
Claremont only found out how to write him over time and that's when he caught on. The book was fine without him before.

Nah man, standards are still low -- people just expect every superhero movie to be like the Marvel flicks.

The only recent superhero movies I'd consider legitimately good films are Nolan's Batman trilogy (yes, I even like Rises despite the shit it gets).

Marvel films are fun, but nothing more despite critics trying to pass them off as art when they're merely a product of assembly-line filmmaking.

Until studios start making superhero movies that have more depth and are more than just cartoony fun, then I fail to see how they've actually raised the bar to the point where one can take them seriously as great films.

I wonder, do you think actually outright pays off critics, or just gives them goodies and pre-screenings, knowing that about 90% of modern film critics are massive Marvel geeks who will always give their films the benefit of the doubt as being "fun."

suckin a dick

>The O5 team was so boring that almost got the X-Men cancelled.
The problem wasn't the characters. It was the stories.

Seeing as monetary bribes are outright outlawed, or at the very least frowned upon, I'd assume the latter.

Hell, at this point they don't even need to give them anything other than the movie. "We already know you're going to love it, so have this bag of stuff we got from our last dentist visit."

>Marvel films are fun, but nothing more despite critics trying to pass them off as art when they're merely a product of assembly-line filmmaking.

Nobody EVER called any marvel movie art. Everyone likes it because it's a good billion dollar tv show. Which is the whole point of it in the first place.

Get your head out of your ass, man. Stop being bitter about console wars.

Eh, I honestly could still see Disney bribing some critics.

I mean, is it that hard to imagine the government looking the other way when such a powerful company does it?

>go see this yesterday
>starts out pretty good
>30 mins pass
I know that feel.

>Styker shows up to stall the movie for 30 minutes
>realize its just going to get worse from here on out
The part after Weapon X where it cuts back to Apocalypse waiting to go on with his plan, that's when I saw that the movie had fallen apart completely. Because at least during the Weapon X scene, you had some of these new characters interacting to solve this situation together and actually do their first mission and stuff.
And as soon as it cuts back to Apoc, you just know this is just going to be a dumb CGI ending that would do nothing in terms of actual character development. Well, except for Magneto I guess.

Then why release it in theaters?
Why not just make a Marvel TV series?

And no, to me this isn't about console wars -- it's about film. I'm not a DC fanboy, I just want movies to feel cinematic and Marvel movies don't. Plus it feels like franchise movies are suffocating the film industry so that original films get snuffed out and fail to get any attention.

>Plus it feels like franchise movies are suffocating the film industry so that original films get snuffed out and fail to get any attention.
If it wasn't cape comics, it would be books or cartoons or anime.
Hollywood is fucking terrified of making something up on their own.

It doubled it's budget and then some, it's NOT a failure.

A failure doesn't even manage to make it's money back.

>The problem wasn't the characters. It was the stories.
It was the characters AND the story.

>Well, except for Magneto I guess.
But- what actually was his development though? That the X-men are his family? Cause thats not what happened.

Thats what killed me about that Quicksilver shit too. The movie set up an arc for him and just said fuck it.

Money? Budget? Legacy?
All these are valid and worth doing it for. Marvel never set out to make high art, nor should everyone. It's using a medium to tell a story.

>this isn't about console wars -- it's about film
Watch something else, then.
>I just want movies to feel cinematic and Marvel movies don't
>it feels like franchise movies are suffocating the film industry so that original films get snuffed out and fail to get any attention.

It seems like you have a case of 'it's only good if nobody likes it', then.

You cunts are the same that complained about Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark and the like at the time, but you're missing the point that as long as it puts peoples in theatres, it's not killing film, it's propagating it.

It's putting kids and people of all ages to watch it. Heck, I watch these movies with my 53 year old dad and my 12 year old cousin when he's around. It brings people together and creates moments for which the next generation will feel nostalgic about.

But you complain because it pushed all the mid-budget productions to the shitter? When in fact all those mid-production stuff has been put to TV-serials instead?

This payoff meme is hilarious to me, especially given AoU got pretty mixed reviews.

Sorry Civil War was good and every other capeshit movie this year short of Deadpool was terrible. Fuck, doesn't Deadpool alone highlight how dumb this disneyshill thing is?

Wait... Are you implying that Civil War should have taken any ques from the terrible fucking comic event?

Disney marketing dollar. Anything is good if Disney decides it is, and anything is bad if Disney decides it is. That's why trash like Civil War is "THE BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME."

Wait, wasn't the Lane Ranger not a bad movie? I mean, not great, but not bad either?

Sup Forums pls go back to your kino and GoT threads

Actually, I don't mind these movies on occasion but my issue is that they hog all of the attention and kill any semblance of creativity that there is in Hollywood..

Then again I've never understood the connection with the "Marvel Universe" that people seem to have, so what the fuck do I know. And imho Star Wars and Raiders actually felt cinematic to me.

There's something about them that makes them feel more personal than any of the franchises that the big studios are pushing out now. Maybe because they were created by a director who had a vision as opposed to a studio and their focus groups.

Also when you say...

>When in fact all those mid-production stuff has been put to TV-serials instead?

Are you implying that these franchise movies are pushing mid-budget productions to television when they would have been made for theaters 10-15 years ago.

Thank you for further depressing me user.

It was a mediocre attempt at making Pirates of the Caribbean with cowboys, and everyone saw through that bullshit.
It was a flop too.

Deadpool was rated R and Disney wets their pants at doing anything even remotely dark. Therefore they are not in direct competition.

Hell, look at how they're making Edwards re-shoot 40% of Rogue One because they felt that a fucking war film needed 'levity'.

>DCfags are still this assblasted about objectively bad movies

>(even though DoFP beat Ultron)?
What?

>go see this yesterday
>starts out pretty good
>30 mins pass
Literally me.

>psylocke becomes horseman for seemingly no reason
Yeah, this is when the movie started to go downhill for me too.

Why would anyone expect anything better/new from singer. How many more x-movies til people gets it?

DoFP was pretty good man.

>kill any semblance of creativity that there is in Hollywood
They don't, they are just in the biggest spotlight. So is rock music. It hogged the spotlight from Jazz and Jazz only improved from it. Do you think Miles Davis liked the Beatles? Fuck no. But years later, every relevant Jazz bassist cites Paul Mccartney has an inspiration.

You're just afraid of your tastes not being relevant, but now YOU have to go after them, not the other way around. Things are still being done, just elsewhere. Superhero movies aren't here to develop film as an art, they are here to enjoy it with your friends and family. They are a new plateau for people to enjoy and sherish, and eventually get satiated with after the main run is done and start exploring something new. It's a new status-quo thing. And it IS happening:

>Are you implying that these franchise movies are pushing mid-budget productions to television when they would have been made for theaters 10-15 years ago.

Yeah man. Crime dramas are now tv-shows, not movies. Same for mob stories and even some fantasy stories. These are relatively cheap to produce and benefit with the longer narrative opportunities.

All that's left for cinemas is epic 'event' movies like superheroes, low sci-fi or fantasy stuff. Even sci-fi seems to have found its niche with Black Mirror and the like. And it's alright. Creativity always finds a way of being shown, especially with global markets where 1% of the population is a huge fucking number. And there's nothing wrong with that, besides this idiotic idea that a theatre is inherently better than a large tv screen, a good couch and your friends/girlfriend and beers/blanket.

X2 and DoFP are two of the best movies in all of capeshit, user

Why would we expect less

I say that Apocalypse falls in right in third place after them.

Where's the Jugganugga?

It has a higher RT score

too busy with She-Hulk

Well sorry I can't be as optimistic as you, but I think it's really sad we're stuck seeing quality cinema being pushed to the small screen. I like the format of movies that can be seen in theaters as opposed to episodic flicks or television episodes. Sorry, but that's just my taste. You may be fine making the transition, but to me it's just painful to see.

Oh well, at least there is TCM.

(also sometimes change isn't always good. Let's keep in mind modern music where we have shit songs by the likes of Justin Bieber and Nikki Minaj hogging the limelight).

Also based on your thinking why do we still have the Academy Awards?

Are they going to stop giving them out once films become obsolete, or will we see a best picture lineup that includes "Captain America 38: Bucky and Cap Come out of the Closet" and "Frozen 17"?

If Hollywood stops seeing film as art, they should end the charade and stop treating it as such.

>Pirates of the Caribbean
But that movie was awful? I guess I don't pay attention to what critics say about things that aren't pushed in my face by Sup Forums.

Do people really use RT?

Why the fuck do some of you guys take these movies so seriously?

I loved Civil War. I thought Apoc was pretty good. Do some of you guys really have nothing else in your lives but obsess over the success of movies that you have no control over?

Are all of you like under the age of...ugh never mind. Probably.

>I can't form my own opinions, there for I let others think for me

Thanks for openly admitting that you can't form your own opinion on something

>DoFP beat Ultron

Oh, you're retarded and think anybody cares about the domestics. Right.

DoFP made about $750m, Age of Ultron made about twice that. Nobody gives a shit where the money is made any more because the effective rate of taxation is zero.

Its budget was $234m, not including marketing.

It needs to make about $600m just to break even. This failure to keep budget costs down is one of the things that kept Singer off the series so long - even though he didn't direct X3, he did determine where most of the money had been spent already by the time Ratner came on board.

>Every 'superhero' movie now has to either bring something new to the table, or meaningfully advance the plot of a long standing series.
In a world were MCU is acclaimed? It has the same fucking format for most part.