What do you think of Overwatch?

What do you think of Overwatch?

Seems like a lot of 90s comics elements thrown in with some weeb designs.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xds6XeYxdYI
youtube.com/watch?v=QRd7Pvh2R78
archiveofourown.org/works/7078651?view_adult=true
youtube.com/watch?v=krbhq4uO0oE
kotaku.com/new-overwatch-character-shows-blizzard-really-is-listen-1689904549
pastebin.com/KC0c8SfE
pastebin.com/dGac0bPu
youtu.be/Qp9wIHCz214?t=291
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The comics any good?

I've seen some streams of the game but never watched any of the animations or read the comics. Seems like a good game, just not my cup of tea. Might check out the supplemental material though.

look super fun and i'm butthurt i don't have a next gen console or good computer

Jesus being a comic artist and having to deal with those overdesigned "they're 3D modeled so you can throw as much crap as you want" characters every single panel must be such a pain in the ass.

I run it fine on my average laptop

Not really. We can only hope they make some good ones. I find the designs pretty interesting.

Mei is bae. Mei players sound off. youtube.com/watch?v=Xds6XeYxdYI

It's pretty fun, and I loved the animations. Though if I didn't have several friends who also have it, I have to admit there'd be less replayability.

I really want to like it, a lot of people complain how the character and art design don't fit together but it reminds me of a Saturday Morning G.I Joe cartoon.

Sadly the writing itself isn't anything special. None of the shorts made me care or enjoy the characters and the lore behind certain characters are to dumb in contrast with how gruff and grim some of them are. It's a silly world that thinks itself more serous then it really is.

I wouldn't mind if they did shorts like TF2. The animations they've done have been great.
Is this game fun? I wanna make sure before I buy it.

It's more casual friendly then TF2 and the game still needs tons of balance fixes for characters but yeah it's fun.

The only question is if you're willing to pay 40 bucks for an multiplayer only game that strictly relies on other players for replayability. 60 bucks if you want it for consoles.

People seem to like it.

Its TF2, but with DOTA 2 style abilities for the classes instead of new weapons. The community and emphasis on team play is better than most games, you get less drooling morons in pickup games.

The complaints are that ranked play and a campaign are coming later, and some people are really pissed about the unlock system.

For clarification, you play and your account levels up as you get experience. You get one crate every level, for infinite levels although the XP required to level up increases as you would predict. Crates can have sprays (AKA garbage), new voices and lines, new victory poses, recolored skins, and best of all totally different skins. You can also buy more crates.

Compared to TF2, crates require no money to open. But unlike TF2 you cannot buy specifically what you want in the store instead of bothering with crates, and you have a chance to get shit you don't want. So some people get hooked on microtransaction buying crates until they get a skin for their favorite character.

I dunno. Seems like people whining just to whine.

Posting vid of best comic:

youtube.com/watch?v=QRd7Pvh2R78

>Let's gather some valuable data on this mission!

Mei needs an ongoing solo series from Dark Horse.

Is playing with random people fun? I actually liked doing that with Splatoon, so I just wasn't sure if it'd be the same here.

It's interesting, it definitely has a lot of 90s comic staples (everyone has a gun, characters who have become edgy, etc.) but the aesthetics actually makes it work because the characters don't look like they leapt off a sixteen-year-old's classroom planner.

Yeah, it's fun. Especially when you ice wall your whole team in at the start of the match.

Meh?
You never know with randoms. Sometime you get a well balanced team with a good number of offense and tank players and maybe even a Lucio and sometimes you get 3 Widowmakers who despite is one of the most overpowered characters in the game manage to be as useful as dirt because they can't aim for shit.

But that's every multiplayer game with randoms when you get right down to it.

Alright, thanks anons. I'll download it on my PS4 tomorrow then.

Have fun user.
My advice is to have fun with Mcree before he gets nerfed to oblivion.

He's easy all you gotta do is flashbang then right trigger and you win the game.

Mei is best for fights and lewd:

archiveofourown.org/works/7078651?view_adult=true

>Mei

>Mei is best for fights

MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA

Am I the only want who thinks Mei is a psychopath? Her attitude feels so out of place whilst she's paralysing living people in ice and jamming shards of ice into their faces.

Personally, I refuse to give the game the time of day ever since Blizzard ruined Starcraft 2.

>freezing someone solid and shattering their body
>"Hey, chill out!"

She's basically a DC comics ice villain.

Don't forget her whole team of scientists died horrible deaths and she doesn't seem affected by it.

I refuse to pay $40 for an expansion. I'm still on Heart of the Swarm.

She totally a psychopath.

>paying a game full price
>has a F2P economical model
Damn Blizzard really went full jew here.

>posting a video of a comic

Any chance of a full length Overwatch CG animated movie?

Feels like the result of G.I. Joe, The Incredibles, and Big Hero 6's one night drunken tumble.

youtube.com/watch?v=krbhq4uO0oE

Guys, I think Mei is actually the final villain of Overwatch.

It's a decent Junkrat impression. Would have been nice if somebody older voiced the Suit and Roadhog though.

>best girl

But TF2 had the same model, and until 2008 it was also a game you had to buy.

It came with Portal 1 which was really really short, and Half Life 2 which by that point everyone already had on PC. So you were basically getting TF2 and a minigame for $50.

>WOAH THERE!

Game seems fun, but the writing and design seems to have been done by a marketing team to create something as inoffensive and generic with as wide an appeal as possible, as opposed to something with an actual unifying artistic vision.

I'm not surprised; it's a triple a game that cost millions to produce so of course the people in charge aren't going to take too many chances with it. But it is disappointing every time I see a game with an eight figure budget that can't afford to spend anything on a decent writing team.

>EASY!

>HOLD UP NOW!

The actual story the game has is very interesting actually, just not apparent, which is why it needs more shorts and comics.

But she apologizes!

Not really. It's standard sci-fi robot uprising, followed by the formation of a standard sci-fi elite task force, with some mad max randomly thrown in on the side.

Really, the story as it is now isn't that big of a deal for me - the plot is kinda cliche, but delivery matters more than substance, so I'm not going to juge it too harshly until more material comes out. I don't have particularly high hopes, but they MIGHT have an exceptionally well written/directed comic or short that makes it work.

My main complaint is the character design: it feels like all of the characters came from a meeting where the executives tried to think of anything with a fanbase that they could base a character on. You've got your samurai, your ninja, your cowboy, your monkey, your 2edgy4u skeleton guy, etc. Plus, you've got a full range of waifus, from the moe asian girl in a parka, to the femme fatale, to the gamer girl, etc etc etc. There's no unifying theme, and in the end it just feels manufactured and inorganic; my immersion in the world and story is broken because it feels like something carefully calculated to be appealing instead of something that was just naturally good.

I think pointed out it's biggest problem - all of this would work so much better if it was more of a comedy, but with the serious backstories and plot it just doesn't work as well with the varied and anachronistic cast.

Trashmouse has some jigsaw tier stuff he can do.
>Place trap on health pack
>If the enemy shoots the trap, the trap uses the health pack before being destroyed. The garbagegerbil now knows where you are and you did not get the health.
>However if the enemy ignores the trap, they are healed but immobile, leaving the rubbishrodent free to come in for the kill or detonate the bomb he put on the ceiling above the trap.

I mean, Reaper is the embodiment of edgy to a comedic degree. He pulls his shotguns out of no where, his lines are dark as shit, his origins are ridiculous and petty as hell. Same with 76, and even Tracers and Meis are crazy depressing, yet you can somewhat chuckle at how they act because of their pasts.

76 was a character Metzen created as a teenager, but they're using him ironically now.

It'd be like if Liefeld was the one that actually made Deadpool funny instead of just designing him.

>I'm sorry I keep killing and will continue to do so.

Here is how you fucking win any game of Overwatch.

Wait until your entire time has their ults ready and them use them all the same time. Instant win.

>All with a serene smile on my face.
>Because I truly feel nothing. Nothing at all.

But she's so a-Mei-zing at it.

Zarya's in particular makes any other offensive ult 10x as powerful.

How can a woman with a cold gun be so cold hearted?

How do you think she powers it? With her cold, cold heart.

they made characters less sexy because of sjw's and women. That isn't 90s at all.

Whos the best character and why is it Benedict ?

Uninformed diatribe the post.

kotaku.com/new-overwatch-character-shows-blizzard-really-is-listen-1689904549

pastebin.com/KC0c8SfE

Blizzard Cuts Problematic Female Character’s Pose from ‘Overwatch’ -

pastebin.com/dGac0bPu

Did you not see what it was replaced with?

I'm the uninformed one, sure.

It shouldn't have come up at all is my point if we're calling something "90s"

Tracers new pose still showed off her ass, and it looked better, who cares about the whole issue.
Now then, Reinhardt vs D-Va. No weapons, Doritos are on the line.
Who wins?

>kotaku

>Doritos are on the line.
D.va.

>pastebins

you could bitch but I always put pastebins.

What I find interesting is that while there was a robot uprising, it didn't conclude in one of the two ways that usually does with either the humans or synths wiping the other side out.

Rather, the humans won, but decided that robots do have rights after all and gave the survivors a pass and some societal rights.

That's usually where the story ends, rainbow love-in/we'll try to make tomorrow better. But this is where the game's "present" picks up.

So you've got characters like athlete turned war hero, Zarya, who believe that strength is unity, but distrusts Genji because he's part machine and she dislikes Omnics in general. This puts her and veteran mechanist Torbjorn in a similar mind to Junkrat & Roadhog, a pair of deranged criminals whose hatred of Omnics would make them strawmen of how that sentiment is bad until you learn that their home was nuked during the Omnic Crisis that didn't happen that long ago.

Then you get into the actual android cast members. Bastion might love nature, but he's also killed his fair share of people, is covered with guns, and can't even really talk like more modern Omnics can. What are his rights? Zen makes for some cool imagery, but that levitation is just a jet pack and those extra Transcendance arms are just holograms. Is his sect really enlightened or have they just made themselves look the part?

Besides that, I think the characters are plentiful and varied enough that you could get a lot of mileage by having them bounce off one another VS or BatB style.

You also have to remember that there is a giant, nigh-unstoppable Omnic that attacks South Korea yearly. That causes a lot of tension between the humans and the robots as well.

>but it reminds me of a Saturday Morning G.I Joe cartoon.

You know. That is exactly what it feels like.

Gotta ask. Is that a problem? I mean yes I want to read good stories sometimes, but I also miss classic GI Joe cartoons.

I think that for the sub-genre of shooters that it was trying to hit (casual-ish PC shooter with varied cast) they've done a pretty good job. Not totally convinced the rest of the media is going to be good but I'd rather they try it and deepen the "lore".

This comment is going to have me really considering whether a 3d character is overdesigned for 2d from this point forward. It has been a useful comment for me.

>Is that bad
Hell no. I miss the wackiness that shows like GI Joe used to have sometimes.

The cast needs more TALOOOOOOOOOOON-LA!

Widowmaker and Reaper barely count since they're both ex-Overwatch.

I see it a lot like League of Legends where everything is a ripoff of something else, though this is made by Blizzard so no one will say that.

So yeah, that's why you're seeing those kinda designs.

Could they have made any designs that wouldn't be called rip-offs?

My understanding was that Roadhog was directly responsible for australia getting nuked.

They aren't ripoffs, they're cliches. They're all one or two defining characteristics boiled down into a simple character, and as such have a lot in common with every other character that has been based heavily on their shtick.
I know it would be a bitch to pull off in a character based team shooter, but I feel like the thing Overwatch needs for its story to work is a campaign. No secondary material is ever going to feel as... I dunno the right word for this. Legitimate? Relevant? Integral? As something in the game itself, and as it is now it's just a bunch of flat, comedy-inclined characters with a vague promise that they have hidden emotional depths and somehow fit in to a super serious setting.

Reading between the lines a little too hard, Non.

Zarya short when

Yeah. That's why he's crazy. He couldn't live with the guilt.

But he only did that because he and his fellow resistance fighters were trying to sabotage the Australian Omnic power source so they could take their homeland back. So you know, irony.

Better Wet than Red

Even here? HOW DO I ESCAPE THIS OVERWATCH HELL?

Worked for TF2. Sort of.

Is she smiling? I always thought it was a smirk or something.

Burn in infernus obscurus, Benedict.

And take your hideous psychopathic dykes with you!

Yes

Cliches is probably the word I wanted, but some of them are straight rip offs.

Play it. Get consumed by it. It actually pretty fun. Get in before the fandom get too cancerous.

Mei is fucking stupid
>I'm gonna stop global warming by keeping my air conditioner on

ya posted the wrong dyke, pal

IT'S

TIME!

>Punt
>Not DILF
Cmon.

It's pretty shit. Pretty to look at shit with some neat ideas behind it, but still quite shit. And I say this as someone who loves this game.

At least in the animations all the dialogue is very dry and feels unnatural. That may sound like one of those empty criticisms that gets thrown around to shit on something without saying anything meaningful, but it's the best I can come up with. I don't understand how blizzard, a dev that probably has more money than God at this point, drops the ball so hard on voice acting and dialogue.

Doctor Winston (the human one) is a good example of this hollow, stilted feeling I get from all the Overwatch animations.

Hopefully going forward they get their shit together.

I wish any of the skins changed her hair color.

It just doesn't look good from a design standpoint.

Not really...

TF2 is a comedy. It knows its characters are silly and doesn't try write a story about how they're all actually veterans with PTSD trying to live in a world of perpetual war. Because that would be fucking dumb.

Overwatch isn't quite that bad, since the characters aren't as overtly humorous as TF2's are, but they are based almost entirely in cliche and irony and don't mesh very well with the serious setting they've been placed in.

The main difference is that Overwatch is TRYING to tell a story, and the story it's telling doesn't match the game itself very well. If the story was in the game, it might go better.

How can tracer and widow maker possibly be MORE sexy?

>Doctor Winston (the human one) is a good example of this hollow, stilted feeling I get from all the Overwatch animations.

I want to see him get killed by those angry moon gorillas like how it was mentioned in Winston's backstory.

>Love avian characters and designs
>Fucking rare in anything; videogames, comics or movies
>First one to come about in ages and it's in a Gearbox game tanking harder than Zimbabwe's economy

Fucks sake.

At least I have this skin.

By being in motion:

youtu.be/Qp9wIHCz214?t=291