Just watched total recall. What was the point of this scene? What would have happened if Quaid took the pill...

Just watched total recall. What was the point of this scene? What would have happened if Quaid took the pill? If he was already convinced he was Quaid, why would they try to convince him to knock himself out, knowing that if it didnt convince him he'd kill them

It was poison.

It was all dream

The point of the scene was to remove any doubt in Quaid's mind as to whether or not what was happening was real. It was to make him believe with 100% certainty that it was not all just part of the recalled memory (even though it really was)

There was no scenario in which he would actually take the pill, because he really had no choice in the matter. What happens in the memory implant is pre-programmed, much like the script of a movie.

I believe it all begins when Quaid gets his first little pre-implantation injection (the very first one) while sitting in the chair waiting for his actual procedure to begin. Everything after that is a dream

I love this movie. Verhoeven's best film. For me, it's up there with Aliens, T2, The Fifth Element and Predator in terms of sci fi classics

I think it's one of the tightest sci-fi plots ever made

and I really appreciate that they keep the ending ambigious - but fading out an utterly perfect moment (overcame enormous obstacles and various betrayals, saved an entire fucking planet as well transformed it into a paradise, got the girl, sunrise - and woosh)

How can he just go back to living his normal life with his boring day job again when all his friends and family just tried to fucking kill him in the recall? I can't imagine that that wouldn't seriously fuck with his head, even after coming out of it and understanding that the whole crazy experience was basically just a dream. He'd never be able to look at his wife the same way again, and he'd just want to be with the athletic Martian girl instead. And everything would feel so boring in comparison to what he was doing as a secret agent in the memory

His epic adventure started as soon as they plugged him into the machine. The delusion took over and the first part was him convincing himself that it was real because the scientists hadn't activated it yet. He got the exact delusional memories that he asked for and saved the day at the end. The scene in the OP was probably his subconscious trying to tell him that it was a delusion, so he killed the guy.

The moral of the story is don't accept lies or delusion or mess your brain up with virtual reality.

This movie is what it's like to have epilepsy pkd my man

The whole movie is a metaphor for audience escapism via 80s action sci-fi movies. Verhoeven is basically making a satire of those types of movies just like Starship Troopers is a satire of war propaganda.

This is what happens when plebs try to comprehend Philip K Dick's genius and end up making trashkino instead

Also this

>The moral of the story is don't accept lies or delusion or mess your brain up with virtual reality.

but he saved mars and got the girl.
thats a win my man

>trashkino
the fuck did you just say about my favorite Arnold movie?

It wasn't a memory though, maybe you need to watch the movie again

>Verhoeven's best film
HALT, CITIZEN

it was definitely a memory.
The Recall people acting like they hadn't even started the implant procedure yet by the time he started freaking out was all just a scripted part of the memory there to make it feel more believable to Quaid, because he knew that the recall was coming and what was supposed to happen in it. By the end of the movie, he'd gotten *exactly* what he'd signed up for, and you could tell he was starting to realize that none of it was real

Robocop is good but Total Recall is in a tier of its own

You're the very definition of a plebian. Total Recall is a mindless action flick. Robocop is a commentary on America and consumerism.

It was all a dream in the machine, just look at the last scene of the movie.

>Total Recall is a mindless action flick.
you're a moron

also, see replace the word "satire" with "commentary." Wow, now it's so deep, just like Robocop!

I'm going to watch this right now because of this thread