The Leftovers

Okay so the finale kinda let the mystery be. That's fine, it was a great show, one of the best I've ever seen.
But now I'd like to list some of the mysteries that weren't answered

>what did the National geographic magazine mean? was Kevin senior just completely insane or was there something to it? were the voices all in his head?
>why did Patti say Dean was a ghost and so hard to find information on? what was wrong with the dogs in Mapleton? Did some dogs really take on human form?
>is the place where Kevin goes everytime he dies even real?
>why did Nora get rejected by the scientists the first time? what's the correct answer to the baby twins question?
>what was that scene in season 1 where some women ask Kevin "are you ready?" and then everything explodes?
>who was David Burton? How did he come back to life? How does he know how so well how things work?

>IS NORA LYING AT THE END?

I'm surely missing some

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13117037
youtube.com/watch?v=Ooqqj6q1MeU
pajiba.com/the_leftovers/what-was-the-deal-with-the-may-1972-national-geographic-magazine-in-the-leftovers.php
tvline.com/2017/06/04/the-leftovers-finale-damon-lindelof-interview-last-episode/
esquire.com/entertainment/tv/news/a55441/the-leftovers-series-finale-explained/?src=socialflowTW
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

strawpoll.me/13117037

the answer to all of these:

lazy writing

Only important thing is that Kevin believes her.

>>what was that scene in season 1 where some women ask Kevin "are you ready?" and then everything explodes?
I think those were future GR members, and similar to patti could feel that something big was about to happen

I don't even care about any of that shit tbqh.

Don't forget Holy Wayne. He knew that he was going to die and he granted a wish to Kevin

>what did the National geographic magazine mean? was Kevin senior just completely insane or was there something to it? were the voices all in his head?

He's insane, or was the entire plot of the flood not happening and assaulting cops not enough for you?
>why did Patti say Dean was a ghost and so hard to find information on? what was wrong with the dogs in Mapleton? Did some dogs really take on human form?

Dean was probably just a conspiracist, and bugged out. Either that or maybe some kind of agent. And the dogs were weird because they witnessed the sudden departure

Depends on your world view. Truly a mystery.

>why did Nora get rejected by the scientists the first time? what's the correct answer to the baby twins question?

Probably because they felt she was a snitch? That or they just suck at telling who is a liar or not.

>what was that scene in season 1 where some women ask Kevin "are you ready?" and then everything explodes?

Just fucking weirdos, they probably felt something was going to happen.

>who was David Burton? How did he come back to life? How does he know how so well how things work?

We have no real proof he didn't die, only conjecture.

Another actual mystery.

You mean a man that was being followed and attacked by secret government kill squads thought he was going to die???

based Holy Wayne poster

I think the national geographic had something to do with the Aboriginals and the rain songs. It was probably what cultural bugus urged Kevin Senior to go to australia

They rejected everyone to test how far they were willing to go to actually go through with it senpai

I got some questions too.

>how did Kevin know the nun was lying? Does he have a super power as a lie detector?
>who was the man with the ladder? the nun said she saw no man with ladder. was it God?
>are there two Lauries?
>how did Matt die? we never see his body, is it possible he Departed?
>why did the birds take so long to show up? Did they Depart and come back too like Nora?
>why was there a goat in Jardin AND Australia? Is Australia purgatory?
>how is Kevin Sr still alive? Is he God?

The only thing that bothered me was the babies of Wayne. What was their importance?

I get your point, I'm reading too much into it and that's not what this show is about. Just doing this because it's fun

Lindelof said they do accept people. They want to be sure you have no attachments to the real world and they understand it from that question

>how did Kevin know the nun was lying? Does he have a super power as a lie detector?
He was a cop
>who was the man with the ladder? the nun said she saw no man with ladder. was it God?
she was fucking him
>are there two Lauries?
no
>how did Matt die? we never see his body, is it possible he Departed?
are you this retarded? he had cancer
>why did the birds take so long to show up? Did they Depart and come back too like Nora?
symbolism
>why was there a goat in Jardin AND Australia? Is Australia purgatory?
>how is Kevin Sr still alive? Is he God?
he's probably dead

Does anybody else kinda feel like out of all the crazy shit we saw and sad piano music we heard, none of it really mattered?

What's to like about this show, it seemed pretty dull to me. Oh look it's the le dramatic music, I know something meaningful is happening (but of course it isn't).

and even more precisely
Lindeloff

This is a chick show. Chicks don't care about mysteries or what the answers are behind the mysteries. They care about relationship drama and stuff like how did she feel when he did that and what did she say and how did she say it.

Why does everyone shit on Lindelof but give all he co-creatives a pass?

>Lost, all Lindelof's fault. Not the episode writers or JJ, Lindelof.
>Prometheus, all Lindelof. Not Jon Spaihts. Not Ridley Scott.
>Leftovers, LINDELOF. Not Tom Perotta, the creator.

I used to be a Lindelof hater but if there's one thing I'm certain of, if Sup Forums is clamoring about it they're probably wrong.

this

and THIS

I don't see what is wrong with holding a beheaded, bloody Donald Trump. All the more so when the holder is a comedian. Donald Trump is literally a murderer who takes a blood-bath daily. As with every US president desu, the hate is not "trump-specific".

because he's the common person in all of those abominations it's only logical to conclude that.

with lost it was not lindelof it was "cuse and lindelof" but with prometheus there was no cuse so it was just lindelof.

with prometheus, many predicted that it would be a lindelof signature project (that is, there will be mystery, they will promise reveal of mystery, but they actually don't have answer and they'll make it up with sloppy writing).

and now with leftovers, it's following the same pattern as prev lindelof projects: market with "mystery watch the show mystery is so mysterious watch it" and then "ignore the mystery it's all about the characters drama etc etc etc"

did coon go nude?

>because he's the common person in all of those abominations it's only logical to conclude that.
This. He's worked with some of the most critically acclaimed directors in america and almost ruined all of their careers.
>JJ on Star Trek Into Darkness
>Brad Bird on Tomorrowland
>Marc Forster on World War Z
>Jon Favreau on Cowboys And Aliens
>Ridley Scott on Prometheus

Everybody hated them after these movies.

yes

Okay they explained where everyone went.

but why exactly did reality split into two and separate everyone?

Just watched. I just want to say it was fucking amazing and I've never been that moved by a tv show.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ooqqj6q1MeU
;_;

It was good but still didn't top season 2 we may never have kino of that quality ever again.

Wasn't the guy with the ladder that Australian cop that they killed ?

none of us matter either, but discussing this show on a meme forum helps with the dread

yes and also what about the animals o.O

I don't know but it doesn't sound that scientifically implausible.
It ties in with the whole quantum theory, multiverses and Schrodinger's cat, except there's two universes existing at the same time (there might be more but these are the 2 that we care about) and there's no way to observe both at the same time because you're inside the box.
The machine lets you to switch between the both possibilities of the box.

Why would you blame JJ? He was there for like one episode and fucked off. And Ridley Scott was the only good thing about Prometheus.

>what was wrong with the dogs in Mapleton?
Their owners departed. With nobody taking care of them I guess they escaped their homes, got together in packs and went full feral.

>Did some dogs really take on human form?
The fuck outta here son.

this

season 1 was comfy, season 2 knocked the ball out of the park

Eh, not what I wanted nor expected.

I wanted a repudiation not an explanation.

I feel this finale was more an apology to lost fans than a fitting ending to an amazing show.

Having said that I still had a huge smile in parts and cried quite a few times, so still an amazing episode.

'Some of us hold a candle Nora'

and I always will

why does everyone praise season 2 so much? Genuine question. I appreciated it ofc but I still find season 1 more compelling. I think one of the major let downs of season 2 for me was the fact that the transition (between 1 and 2) felt too abrupt, and that in my book took some points off its quality.

BRAVO LINDELOF

Because it's the most emotionally powerful of all the seasons. best moments, best story line and best music.
S1 is good but some episodes drag out. S2 is exceptional from start to finish. the momentum never ends.

I liked it. It was a good end, and a hopefull one.
Still tragic that Kevin and Nora wasted so much time on wallowing in mysery.

> hat did the National geographic magazine mean?
pajiba.com/the_leftovers/what-was-the-deal-with-the-may-1972-national-geographic-magazine-in-the-leftovers.php

Before checking Sup Forums I was very happy for how the finale turned out, they focused on characters for 50 minutes and then explained all that I wanted to know. For some reason I didn't even think about the possibility of Nora lying.

Then I read some opinions, that Lindelof interview and thought back to all the clues and how the episode is focused on lying and making up "a nice story".
Now I'm actually not so happy with the finale. I don't need to know everything like the questions posted in the OP but at least SOMETHING about the sudden departure. I guess I'll just believe she was telling the truth

Literally in the same boat as you. I took Nora's story at face value and even after reading some internet chatter, I choose to leave it at that. It is infinitely more satisfying.

It was fine, I don't give a shit about closure or answers like a faggot. Just wanted a kino episode, a little disappointing.

The good thing about the show is that you can, there's nothing that gives definitive evidence either way.
Same for both of Kevin's international assassin episodes. Maybe it was real, maybe it was just his brain making shit up.

They had no importance and Wayne had no importance or magic powers.

>Schrodinger's cat

Fuck off man with your meme science. Throwing out words you don't get doesn't make you smart.

There's no correct answer, senpai. Whatever you want to believe, is what happened.

also this show has inspired me to start lifting weights. I want to achieve Kevin Garvey mode.

lmao

I was a bit disappointed to see he lost his beard. Now I've grown it out all for nothing!

Back to the weights I suppose.

I believe she was lying. I also believe that other than the SD there are no supernatural events in the show.

According to the writers this is very "real".

The correct answer is not to care, nor for the baby nor for the world.

The writers lean more to the side where she was telling the truth. Either way it doesn't matter, the outcome is the same. She's trying to move on with her story.

sd?

Nora is the best qt waifu, prove me wrong

this is one of the shittiest shows ever, thank god it's over.

Sudden Departure ya dingus

It sure is!

She is, no doubt. Hottest MILF I've ever seen too.

I think the real question is why Kevin was the Second Coming. I have no idea how it ties to the story. I understand he foregoes his immortality for Nora (for anyone that says that they don't love each other) and it gives some meaning to his twin "persona" that has followed him since S01 but I just can't wrap my head as to why this was introduced in the first place.

Did Theroux ever show dong?

S2 only gets good at ep 7

It's open ended basically so you can think whatever you want. I interpret everything as being dellusional behavior and/or lies.

>Kevin talking about that heart problem is meant to explain why he could "die" and come back
>The machine didn't work, Nora has always had a rich imagination. Throughout the whole series she's been looking for a way to cope with her loss, so that's the story she came up with to finally come to terms.
>Kevin Garvey Sr. was always fuckin out of his mind and dellusional
>So was Matt until "God" snapped him out of it
>The rest were just followers who believed in the bullshit to cope with their losses

The only thing is that the SD remains a fuckin mystery which is never answered and which was never supposed to be answered just like Tom Perrotta meant it.

Lindelof just uses a lot of religious symbolism as red herrings.

There you go.

I like this, except for
>the machine didn't work
It did, but Nora yelled STOP. She couldn't do it and the doctors knew it from the start, they told her twice and that's why they rejected her. She then told Matt to tell everyone she went through.

>Kevin talking about that heart problem is meant to explain why he could "die" and come back

I thought that was just a result of him dying that
one time at Virgil's

the finale was fuckin trash

wouldve been better if it ended after ep 7

Lindelof said that heart problem meant to show that after Kevin nuked afterlife he's no longer immortal.

No
tvline.com/2017/06/04/the-leftovers-finale-damon-lindelof-interview-last-episode/
>TVLINE | I found it interesting that while Nora was recounting her epic journey to The Other Side, you didn’t show us glimpses of what that world looked like. Did you intentionally do that because you wanted to leave open the possibility or the interpretation that maybe she made this up?
>Lindelof: Not in a cutesy, “Whatever you think the answer is — it’s all in the eye of the beholder!” way. When we first all came together and talked about the scene we, of course, [asked ourselves], “Should we see all that stuff?” And it was [series cocreator Tom] Perrotta, primarily, who said we shouldn’t see it. She should just tell it. And not to leave it open to interpretation, but more because there’s a tradition [on The Leftovers] that we really nailed down in the third season of characters just telling stories to one another.

i think she told the truth.

the last time we saw her she was taking her last breath right before the irradiated liquid reached her face. she wouldn't have had time to change her mind at that point.

they didn't think she was a snitch. she literally gave the wrong answer to the question. that's a common question (i actually saw it before on some tv show or movie just a few days before that episode aired but i can't remember) and the "correct" answer is that you don't kill a baby to cure cancer.

No, you fucking retard, there is no "wrong" answer to the question. They rejected her because they could tell she was lying. They rejected the man in the desert for the same reason when he gave the exact opposite answer that Nora gave. The point of that question is to determine if you are being honest in your answer.

In the opening minutes of the last episode they made Nora say her recorded statement again and to mention her children's names because the scientist felt she didn't come across as believable.

Can ayone confirm that it was Coon naked, and not body doble?

Lindelof says it doesn't matter whether it's true or not, it only matters that Kevin believes her. In your quote he doesn't say it's not open to interpretation, that's just not the reason why they decided to not show it.

Sooo... The scientist who invented the machine waited until she asked him to build one on the other side?

He didn't think that maybe returning and proving it worked was worth it?

He didn't think that maybe the 2% world was a much bigger crapsack than the 98% world, and offer them a way to get back to their loved ones?

Bullshit. It was all a lie.

>offer them a way to get back to their loved ones?

>Millions of people scattered across the world
>Machine that he would have to spend years to rebuild can only send 1 person at a time

Yeah I think most people would say 'fuck it' and just try to survive in that world.

More likely it was this Helen Evans.

The scientist would also have no way of knowing if a return trip was even possible or fatal.

>watching a Lindelof project and expecting answers

You should have learned your lesson

>lose almost everybody you have ever known
>nah ill just stay here if i have to wait a while

fuck off retard

Think I'll just let the mystery be OP.

That's the most bullshit way to end a story, you literally have so little faith in your writing skills that you leave to the audience to the decide the ending

Think about why he even built that machine in the first place?
Probably because he lost the most important people in his life and would rather stay with them than go back.

Also see He has no evidence you can even go back.
Nora somehow convinced him to rebuild it to give it a try and of course offered herself to be the test.

Nora is lying it's her way to cope with things

>He has no evidence you can even go back.

not an argument, he had no evidence he could get there before he built the first machine, plenty of people would volunteer to go through so they could go back to their original world

nora lied and if she didnt lie its a huge fucking idiotic plot hole

Could someone post a closeup of Kevin being confused/miserable?

Everybody's wonderin' what and where they they all came from
Everybody's worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go
When the whole thing's done
But no one knows for certain
And so it's all the same to me
I think I'll just let the mystery be

Some say once you're gone you're gone forever
And some say you're gonna come back
Some say you rest in the arms of the Saviour
If in sinful ways you lack

Some say that they're comin' back in a garden
Bunch of carrots and little sweet peas

Everybody's wonderin' what and where they they all came from
Everybody's worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go

Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory
And I ain't saying it ain't a fact
But I've heard that I'm on the road to purgatory
And I don't like the sound of that
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly
But I choose to let the mystery be

Everybody is wondering what and where they they all came from
Everybody is worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go

Jesus christ the feeling that art needs to be explained in some logical manner is one of the most pleb things possible. Stop being such whiny bitches in need of meaning, you're starting to resemble characters in The Leftovers.

That being said, the finale was the best episode in the weakest season of the show. One of the best episodes in the entire series even. So relieved they managed to end it well.

These people need everything spoonfed to them in concrete manner.

This show dropped the ball when it showed overtly supernatural stuff and then it goes dude LMAO it's a coping mechanism, it's ambiguous, it's open to interpretation

No, just fuck off. That god character was the last straw

THIS FUCKING THIS
We got the perfect finale to an outstanding TV series and people go on about
>MUH SCIENCE
>MUH MACHINE
>MUH MYSTERY WASNT EXPLAINED
Sup Forums really is cancer.

where is the webm who walking naked?

>plenty of people would volunteer to go through
This. One confirmed departure returning would be all it took to get more machines built on this side.

esquire.com/entertainment/tv/news/a55441/the-leftovers-series-finale-explained/?src=socialflowTW
Lindelof ain't gonna explain shit. He says he wrote the script with a definite answer in mind, whether Nora's story is true or false, but he won't tell us what it is. He didn't even tell Coon or the director of the episode.

There's a difference between using visuals and metaphors to tell your intention as a story teller and leaving things out because lol it's up to the viewer

Nora lied.

She got long conned, which is funny cause shes a fraud investigator. After Matt left her there, the nurses probably knocked her out left her abandoned in the parking lot alone probably with a kidney missing and moved their shit and never contacted her again. She, being embarrassed as fuck, went into hiding.

B R A V O

Have you seen the Twin Peaks threads? It's so fucking embarrassing, people coming up with insane theories so that a work of art makes some kind of rational, logical sense. Nobody with any interest in art would actually engage in this kind of pathetic ignorance.

Shit writing led to this.
>Art
You're a fedora

So now that this show is over should I watch it?