Getting high and writing

How prevalent do you think psychedelic drugs are in the creative possess of making cartoons?
Everyone always says "lmao dude they must have been SO high when they wrote this.."
Do you think there are rooms just full of high writers?
Personally I find I get really creative when I get high, so it makes sense to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LLvdIJiMxmU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If you need drugs to write you're a shit writer desu senpai
>i need le insperation to write or draw or use any creative medium that requires studious repetition and study constantly
>BUT DUDE WEED LMAO!
>thats obvisually the answer!
kill yourself my man

I'm not saying that everyone does it, I'm just drawing from my own experiences, in which I can draw parallels to things that I see in real life and exaggerate them to a point in my mind in which events seem not unlike those in a cartoon, things fall together like poetry too.
but that's just me
trying to stay away from the whole
>BUT DUDE WEE LMAO
thing

Source on that pic OP?

just googled "cartoon of weed smokers" think it's just some pinterest account

D U D E

>Everyone always says "lmao dude they must have been SO high when they wrote this.."
People say this and the actual creatives behind the work say, "no, no I wasn't, wtf"

None, drugs doesn't make people more creative. It's just something stupid normies say because they're stupid normies.

Actual artists and creators get offended when people do the
>Woah man, how high wer u

Dear Kevin Smith, your writing is shit when you're high. Stop being high.

But you can't deny that they are some artist who do have bouts of creativity when high.

I don't know if I can take comfort in the knowledge that this was created in a room full of sober people

Plenty of really good musicians and shit still put out good work after getting clean and giving up drugs, so no, drugs don't make you more creative.

The only thing I've ever seen that I actually suspect might be a result of drug use is 12 oz. Mouse.

And that's only certain episodes.

As a normie that's not taking anything ever. I feel like low doses of LSD would be okay or shrooms, and doing MDMA would be okay. Just something to knock out the depression. Not necessarily for writing. Hell, I wouldn't try to do much during a trip, just ride it and shake the shit off.

there was a thread a few days ago in which an user said that Gary Larson admitted to taking a lot of LSD.
IIRC he was talking at some collage

I'm not saying it makes you more creative, just that it might help connecting with your creative side better

I just have an unusually good reaction to weed, in which I trip out and sometimes Bradley Cooper appears and starts giving me advice (it's not too wierd but I dont even like Bradley Cooper that much in real life), things become poetic (like i can see symbism behind everything), I get great ideas for cartoons, I can see and talk to myself for what I realy am (behind all the things that I tell myself that I am) and I get the feeling that I can tell if other people are high or if someone was high when they made something
I have no desire to try anything other than weed though

dude lmao

A lot of creative people do some of it, including people in science and business.

Shrooms especially are shockingly safe, healthy, and medically precious and legal restrictions against them are a genuine crime against humanity. I don't feel that way about any other drugs, but shrooms? So much promise there to help really sick people we must be ashamed of not making them available to all.

That's pretty far out man

I'd recommend weed as an anti depressant way more than LSD or MDMA my normal friend
Also IMO getting high is way better than getting drunk, because you make better decisions and no hangover

You've chosen the worst place to discuss this OP.

why?

Suffering from a feelingless and thoughtless smog of depression, weed is the only thing that makes me feel like myself. I'm only happy when I'm high. I can't think of anything, let alone a story or dialogue when I'm sober. I'm so broken.

A friend of mine interned for Titmouse (specifically China, il) and she said that they smoked weed outside the studio all the time. I could see being stoned really helping focus and tenacity when animating.

the cartoon i'm working on is basically about smoking weed
but also space

I started my world before I started smoking. It sometimes helps. It certainly doesnt hurt. and it's fun.

>things fall together like poetry too.

They don't. You only think they do because you're high.

Kek, this

So you have guys like Morrison and Dave Sim where they openly have stated that drugs go into their process (though Morrison has been clean for years and Sim went literally insane due to drugs)
Then you have guys like Frank Miller who definitely use(d) drugs frequently but were not open about it and probably had their writing negatively effected by it
Then you have people like John Byrne who would cry if they saw a comic writer smoking a joint

Because now ITT: people who don't smoke weed.

on reflection (when I'm no longer high) it makes sense

Writerfag here. It's not that people get "more creative" when they're high, it's that they had less inhibition about what they write.

The hardest part of writing, for me and for a lot of others, is "turning off" that voice that tries to edit as you go or tells you your idea is terrible. The dirty secret is that no one writes a good first, second, or third draft. The first draft is always going to be terrible but it has to be put down so you can build on the ideas.

For a lot of writers, drugs help to dull that desire to ball something up and go "no this is a shit idea what am I thinking?". It works for some people and then they go back in later SOBER and edit, tweak, revise, and so on.

Then you have others that write, edit, revise, and rewrite high and while it might make things easier for them emotionally (as writing can be very taxing emotionally), quality can suffer. See: Kevin Smith's current track record.

I have seen a pattern over this kind of discussions.
People who never have done any kind of drug always seem to be pissed about it (for whatever reason you want). But lets move that thing aside and focus on the thread.

As for experience, you get a huge shot of creativity when you start the whole drugs thing. Then it evolves a bit sour tasted once you get used to those ideas and stuff. I can tell you improve in a kind of interesting way from it and its up to you that what you wanna do from it.

If writters, musicians, ect do drugs. I doubt most of them openly will anounce they do weed or whatever (there are eceptions but meh)

People say its cheating but i gotta tell you. You get creative, but you still have to do all the stuff all by yourself. The confidence that comes from it helps a lot i gotta say.

yeah I figured... I think many people don't realize just how heavily used drugs are in everyday society, there's a reason why your typical street pharmacist remains a street pharmacist (apart form the fact that he's dumb and probably feeding an addiction), people buy his shit.

thanks for sharing, how did you get into writing? are you a professional?

user is probably a shit writer drugs or no drugs, don't be an ass.

There are still plenty of artists that are druggies, especially in music.

>People say its cheating
The fuck. It's not a game, there are no rules to break in terms of creativity. The goal was never the ability to make the best art and to have to do it without performance enhancers.

Are there really some people who think it's "cheating" at art to take drugs?

>how did you get into writing?

I went to college for a STEM degree, hated the professors, the students, and the coursework. Transferred to to English, took all the creative writing courses offered. Got out of college. Hit a slump. Eventually hit my stride. Now I own a publishing company and write reviews for comics on a website.

It's not so much that being high makes you more creative, it's that it lowers your inhibitions in many cases. It can remove your self doubt which restricts your creative activity. In reality, the creativity is there whether you're high or not.

Many artists use drugs/alcohol to get through those mental barriers that lock them up. There are plenty though that don't need the help. It just depends on the person.

You don't know anything about shrooms if you think they are safe or in any way healthy.

Not really. I hate everything and life is shit ect.
I do some webcomics on my times between work and school. So thats it

People usually argue lack of creativity and use weeds and stuff to make the magic but if it were THAT easy...

Like many anons pointed out. It makes you less self aware of yourself so thats it. Thats the dark secret of it.

The only way shrooms could have a beneficial effect in the long run is with 'microdosing', and that's still a rather new subject without enough evidence. No insane visuals or effects, but minor improvements in mood etc.

I know this isn't related to drugs but it may interest OP regarding "creativity".

I get amazingly creative when I'm under extreme stress. Practically all of my "great" ideas (at least they sound great to me) have come from moments where I was shitting myself because of how much I fucked up.
I think it has something to do with escapism; my mind start to suffer from stress so, unconsciously, I try to distract myself with fantasies that won't help me with my real problems.

That's really a good way to define me: all I've been doing all my life, my whole life, is trying to escape from my own errors.
But I just end making new ones.

The true drug is commitment, drive, dedication and an actually good idea

No amount of drug induced giggles will replace those.

I personally find weed helps with helping me relax and focus on my drawing. But it also can be a hit or miss if you're actually trying to do a serious piece of artwork. Sometimes I come up with cool pictures, other times I'm just not inspired enough to something other than meaningless scribbles and doodles. Xanax and weed also helps.

youtube.com/watch?v=LLvdIJiMxmU

Getting high just makes me ruminate on shit I have already thought of. I have no idea why people spread this le weed makes you creative meme all the time...

Basically this. It doesn't make you more creative, but it makes you give less of a shit about whether what you make is good or not. So you won't go "this is terrible" and erase and re-write/draw everything every 5 minutes but instead "go with the flow".
Also, it's amazing how you suddenly think you can hear all kinds of new subtle harmonies in music you've previously listened to.

It's because people think weed works the same, disregarding the difference between Sativa and Indica strains.
The most common weed is Indica, which has a muscle relaxing and sedating effect on the mind, generally causing the introvert effect that you describe.
Sativa on the other hand generally has a much more uplifting effect, and can boost creativity and has a more extrovert effect on the mind, which is what they're talking about when they propagate this idea.
There are of course a lot of variation with hybrid strains and specialized effects, but that's the short version.

I get ultra aware of myself when I smoke

this along with the way you might react to a certain stimulus, in short you know how some people get angry when they get drunk and others don't?
The shit that my mind comes up with when I'm high far out weighs the things I think about when I'm sober, I'm not saying it's like this for everyone but its is for me.

>dark secret
>Not Dank

One job

>Everyone always says "lmao dude they must have been SO high when they wrote this.."

That's because non creative people don't understand the concept of being able to create without narcotics

I'm a naturally anxious person, so being high just makes me paranoid and exacerbates my ADD. I can't do jack shit on it.

This. If you need drugs to get inspired. You fucking suck.

I've never done anything "recreational" but I have taken ritalin to help me concentrate honestly I felt no different same when I take alchohol.

I think writers do do drugs but more as a destresser than actually as a inspirational tool. You get into a rut into thinking everything you're making is bad when you're stressed, when that's gone you're more aware of the quality of your work.

I quit pot after graduated, I would be lying if I said it didn't help me get my grades up and help with my anxiety

Drugs help you loosen up and write/draw things you normally wouldn't, but those thoughts and ideas existed before you hit the bong. If you're not creative while sober, you won't be creative while high.

The problem with using drugs while writing/art is it becomes a crutch(I should know I was there for a while) and while, yes it did seem to flow better, it started becoming a situation where I had to be high in order for that shit to flow and it sucked feeling like I depended on something like that. So I dropped it and haven't looked back since, just find a new way to get your juices flowing, I listen to music for example, but there are shit tons of ways, find a friend bounce ideas off them that is how I have gotten most of my creative stuff out too.

I have lots of personal experience with shrooms, but rather than subjective personal experience, you should look at all the studies coming out right now showing their efficacy with mental illness, cluster headaches, and several other medical conditions.

They're safe in the sense that there is no recorded case of an overdose and we don't know that overdosing is even possible, and there is also no scientific evidence of negative side effects from them. Meanwhile, accidentally killing yourself with Tylenol is much easier than people think and it can really hurt your liver.

It's not safe in the same way sleeping pills aren't safe if you take them and then hop in your car. But really unless you're being a huge dumbass the effect of shrooms just isn't nearly as dramatic on most people as the media shows. Cases of freaking out come from people abusing them and often having some underlying issues. But as a medicine, the medical establishment has known for a while they have potential, like every medicine they won't help everyone and some will react to it badly, though.

Try getting anything done on MDMA. Hell, I tried to write on acid and ended up being possessed by the fundemental spirit of my main character, but was the page I had in the morning worth dick? Hell no.

True.
You're not a fucking reggae band OP.

The thing is that stuff you think is funny when you're high isn't actually funny when you aren't.

You still need talent to begin with. YOU might think whatever you're saying/doing while high is brilliant but to anyone that's sober you look retarded.

Because most people on this site haven't had any experiences with drugs safe for maybe beer and they'll just spout "DUDE WEED". It's like asking about sex positions on a church group you're not gonna get anything out of them.

I feel like it just depends on the person. For me getting high makes me less creative, i honestly feel like it dulls my mind a bit.

I'm so much more creative when i'm sober, but i definitely know people who say weed or drugs make them more creative. So it's probably just a case by case thing. But you don't really need drugs to be creative and write something unique, some people are just born creative.

From personal experience, I think and hit closest to home. I've found writing, even on a pet project, to almost always be a nerve-wracking process. Oh, brainstorming and looking back at what you've done are great fun, but the process of trying to put all your scenes and ideas into words is slow and stressful. Drugs will help you get your ideas down a lot more quickly, so you'll be under the impression that in a way they're making you more creative. The problems start when, soon enough, you find yourself relying too much on them; writing seems to go so painfully slow without them, and suddenly you're under the impression that the only thing that's gonna loosen the creative juices is getting high again.

It probably varies from writer to writer, but I've also found my ideas to get a lot sloppier and banal if I'm not completely, painfully sober.

>something is really creative/has non traditional fantasy elements
>"ha ha what were they smoking when making this? LOL"
Fucking hate people like this, I'm sure some cartoonists use drugs but to assume anything out of the ordinary came from the creator using drugs is stupid as fuck and shows you have no imagination.

Honestly most musicians start getting really shitty once they get big and start getting heavy into drugs.

In my experience, it depends on the drug and what part of the process Im doing. I can't write stoned, pretty much period. If I'm high my mind wanders and cohesive narrative gets foggy, but its good for relaxing and connecting bits and bites and spitballing. Grab a notepad and just think about your characters and their situations.
Flip side, writing flows well for me with a drink, but I can't edit stoned or drunk. Never edit without being sober. That's what coffee is for.
An artist friend of mine likes sketching and inking while a little high, she finds it helps with smoothing her lines and keeps her from over thinking. Drinking makes her hands feel sloppy though? So I dunno.
People are wierd, brains are weird, drugs are weird. Your milage may vary.

In a sense, it's good for style. Having fun.

For example, I'm studying jazz guitar on my tolerance break and I can't imagine trying to do this not sober. But playing for the sake of playing and working within what I'm already comfortable with is f u n.

The only cool thing about weed in 2016 is approaching it from the jaded getting old long-time smoker angle of "smoking weed is crippling my life and has me stuck in the same dead-end routines but killing my waking hours in a stoned haze is still infinitely preferable to facing reality also I can't even sleep without it anymore".

The happy-go-lucky portray of weed smoking where it's wacky fun & always a blast ala Seth Rogan or Doug Benson come off as square & corny. Like it's playing up that highschooler's view of pot who imagine it with giddy excitement because for them its still a novel way of doing something 'off-limits', something 'adventurous' and 'cool'.

Why? It's really not that farfetched. Everything there is your basic "random" stuff. Anthropomorphic versions of inanimate objects, rainbow farts, character wearing a strange outfit. I mean, it may seem absurd at first, but this is like, a brand of absurd that's extremely deliberate. That room full of people probably thought, "what would be weird" instead of making something that just organically happened to be weird.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't see how that picture indicates any level of out of the box thinking. It's extremely banal and not really resembling anything made by someone in an altered state of mind.

That said, drugs can help some people with the creative process, but it's not "the key" to it or anything, because everybody operates differently.

/thread

But I wanna get high and be paid for it
besides

Also a writerfag, and I had a bad habit of writing drunk. And, no, what you make isn't all terrible or even mostly terrible. It may be a little more sloppy, but sometimes entire pages come out that you couldn't squeeze out before. It's more for me that everything I wrote like that existed in a vacuum. Stephen King can write entire 10k word novels like that (or could), because he would get strung out for days. I'd wager if he looked at what he wrote high the next day sober, he'd have put it in a box in the closet. Apparently, Willie Nelson used to get so high he'd record entire albums that he couldn't remember a week later because he wasn't in a grounded headspace once during their creation.

I like this

you must be fun at parties

i feel as if I could hire someone to be my scribe, I tell the BEST stories when I'm high, I'm lucky enough to hallucinate when I smoke pot, and I just describe the images that I see in my mind that appear as objects that in someway relate to my current state of mind and it all appears as in a movie in my mind.
kinda like the "cube personality test"

You sound like a terribly obnoxious person.

na I'm just high right now and alone so my ego is filling the room
sorry if i offended you friend

Light up a splif and get highhhhhh shawty you deserve what you been missing

first post best post

Ive done my best writing sober.

Although I will admit to getting backed as fuck, then recording myself talking through ideas/making up dialouge.

Most of its garbage but every so often I do come up with some pretty cool shit.

I think that's bullshit, everybody at least tries molly and weed as soon as they get to university, I don't know a single person who watches cartoons irl who doesn't also partake in the consumption of marijuana.