Buy/Shelf General

It's new comic day which means its time to share what all you picked up this week!

Here is what came in the last few weeks for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Batman-Year-One-Frank-Miller/dp/1401207529
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

And this is what I got ordered.

Picked up Grayson vols 1 and 2 and the trade for Top 10 recently, got Kirby's Fourth World 2 but I don't have any of the others and have no idea how/when i'll acquire them

bump

I still can't believe they've recently started changing the spines for mingolverse trades
normally that stuff doesn't bother me much but it upset me

H8 or appreci8. Also recommend stuff

Any reason you didn't finish Y: The Last Man?

I don't think too many of the paperbacks are even out.

All excellent taste.

Haven't been able to find it at FLCS. Also everyone's told me vol 1 is the only part worth reading and jumps ship shortly into vol 2

Nah, they are all out now.
I would disagree. It got a bit weird in the later issues but it is still a favorite of mine. Worth finishing in my opinion.

I'll take your word for it then. Any other recs? I've been told I might like Usagi Yojimbo

Usagi Yojimbo is fantastic.

Latest additions

Not a whole lot to go off of from your shelf. Here is mine though, feel free to ask about anything on here

Considering getting From Hell.
Is it any good?

It's one of Moore's best.

It's absolutely fantastic

Speaking of that, where should I go with Moore after Watchmen, Swamp Thing, Top 10, and From Hell?

How are the Miracleman reprints? (worth it for someone whos never read it?)

The Miracleman reprints from Marvel are absolutely horrible.

Couple days old but I just love that big ass omnibus so much.

Promethea

Care to detail how? I assume its more than just recoloring

censoring.

>Waah waah they put asterisks over nigger
Stop being such a fag

The actual Miracleman story is great, much better than Watchmen IMO

Absolute A-S Superman lurking in the back.

Working a few extra shifts this week to get the Atomic Robo omnis, Goon Library Vol.3, and maybe a Sandman Absolute if I can stretch that far...

>those trades
Fuck man, i havent even started reading the libraries.
Wre they not they not getting collected in big books?

Just got Siegfried Volume 1 and 2 from Amazon, and also the FLCL omnibus.

anyone thinks B.P.R.D: 1946-1948-1948 gonna get released in paperback?

Maybe but its literally only 20 dollars on IST so no reason not to pick it up through them.

Man these threads never last

>TFW the Supergirl omnibus that costs $70 but I got for $20 because of the amazon glitch comes next week

Recent purchases in the last two weeks

last week but these threads keep dying

My recent hauls

1/3

2/3

"Grampa Simpson's Unbelievable Adventures" is no doubt the best cover I own

Also hunted down the first edition of this on eBay. I was pretty upset to learn the copy I've owned for years is a recolor.

>that costs $70
But it's only $37 on IST

How many times are you gonna post the same pics

These last longer than you give them credit for

If you're talking about the 2005 Deluxe Edition, that recolor was done by Lewis and Mazzuchelli themselves, and was meant to present the book as they'd always wanted it to look.

If you mean the 2012 reprint though, then yeah that one's a massive fuck up on DC's part since they did the recolor there behind their backs.

no IST for me bro

these threads don't even autosage any more, they just die in like a day or two

I have this edition-

amazon.com/Batman-Year-One-Frank-Miller/dp/1401207529

is this fine?

>Batman
>Frank Miller
>Frank Miller's Batman

I despise this user but if you like it that's fine I guess.

I was asking about the recolor

Isn't that the version everyone that owns Year One has?

I need to go out to buy comics more. I picked up Punisher Born on free comic book day. I had read it already but fucking needed it on my shelf.
I'd take pics, but my shelves are cluttered and disorganized like fucking crazy.

I'm also starting to very slowly collect the Mignolaverse. I figure, the hiatus will give me enough time to catch up.

I also got two big ass long boxes full of old stuff I have yet to sort through.
I'll probably get rid of most of it via Craigslist or something. I believe most of it is xmen, which doesn't interest me.

My physical copy of Rebirth arrived a few days ago and I tried to pre-order the Vision and Omega Men trades but my local store doesn't have them listed for some reason. The reason might be that they're not Batman.

Pro tip: Don't live in Fuckass Nowhere, Europe if you want to buy physical comics.

That's the one with the Mazzuchelli and Lewis recolors so yeah. The one to look out for is the yellow cover 2012 print. Mazzuchelli spoke out against it and everything.

Which part of Europe? You can just the trades order off Amazon. I know the UK and FR sites have both at least.

>Siegfried
How much it cost you?

Because the OP always sucks. A while back we were having 500+ posts but know its just the same 5 shelves all with the same things on them. And all anyone says about them is I like this, this, and this, without providing any criticism. Its just dick stroking the same shitty series that constantly get recommended.
When's the last time you saw a new shelf that impressed you here?
Prolly not for a while.
>tl;dr
These threads are boring.

It's shit. Buy prophet.

>Floppies

I'm the OP and while I am really enjoying collecting the Mignolaverse books are there any other series that have that same feel?

I am gonna feel so empty when I get everything finally and I get caught up with reading them all.

Goddamn I love those Hellboy Library volumes.

Does anyone have any original art? I was thinking of buying some of the original pages from some books I like but damn those prices are high.

I bought World's Funniest yesterday and got Legends 30th anniversary edition

They really are nice. Probably the nicest books I own in terms of quality.

Legends comes after Crisis on Infinite Earths or before?

Haven't had to pick up anything new since TCAF yet which is nice.

Basically this.

I used to make nearly all the shelf threads (about once a month) back in '09/'10, and every image was new and interesting, collected editions weren't so "new" and people were apprehensive about which to buy because of the bindings, so there wasn't this rush to get the newest HC just because everyone else was; there was true variety in the shelves, and you could tell someone's taste by what they owned.

Now I can just tell that you like new hardcovers. It's rare to find someone with a tpb that's 10+ years old.

Anyways fuck everyone and get off my lawn.

>dredd
>calvin and hobbes
>y the last man
>izombie
>chew
>aliens fire and stone

burn the rest.

I was so overwhelmed at TCAF I didn't buy a single thing besides a print from Michael Cho

Ahhhh yes the glorious new reign of the Tyrant Omnibuses

It can be an overwhelming place especially if not used to it.

Floppies are the best format that comics come in.

Anyone here have the Kaijumax Season 1 trade? I'd like to know if it has the letters pages and Zander's movie reviews.

Is Black Widow: Itsy Bitsy Spider trade any good? It's in the discount bin at my LCS and it's Rucka writing a stronk female protag, so I assume it's at least decent.

forgot to add the tips

the new 52 is a mine field of shitty continuity errors so bad they decided to reboot it again.
your going to want something better.
from image comics finish getting chew, check out copperhead if you think that blade runner crossed with the man with no name is a good concept for a comic. also get prophet, it's a damn good book and to a lesser extant look at the glory reboot.

from oni press start buying the sixth gun. don't worry about the gunslinger editions just get the tpbs or regular hardcovers and don't forget the tie in mini's. also letter 44 imagine the west wing fused with the movie Armageddon and independence day. that's a apt description as i can give.

from vertigo get astro city current trades. astro city is the best superhero book printed right now.
and see if you can get supreme blue rose the floppies or a trade.

after

Wally is the Flash in this one

yeah i need to once i get my posters and art collection back up get some shots. my walls feel naked with only my axe duck collection on them

It was the 2005, I knew about the 2012 recolor.

I know the recolor I owned was Mazzuchelli, but I still wanted a copy of how the book originally looked.

What you are really advocating for is some KonMari happen.

Gonna have to see about picking that up.

>floppies
>good
I know you collect all that self print stuff, but floppies are a terrible format.
>flimsy
>doesn't look good on a shelf
>have to buy a protective sleeve if you want to preserve it
>shitty paper (not always the case)
>staples
>high price/low content

>flimsy
Light and Easy to carry many of them with you

>high price/low content
Only if you buy bad comics. 5 dollars for 20 pages of really good art is a good deal if you are getting the good stuff.

Floppies are also the best way to judge a series, they save me money in the long run and are a much more comfortable read.

I also thing the Ultra High Production value isn't really needed on 90% of mainstream comics so I like the flimsy, throw around nature of singles.

used to back in the day you'd pay like two bucks and get twice that or more per comic

>5 dollars for 20 pages of really good art is a good deal if you are getting the good stuff.
I don't agree with this at all. That's a terrible rate no matter how you slice it.

I will sit here reading my Copra Versus and you can wait for the collection then

Yes things were cheaper and artists weren't well compensated for their work.

todays artists are lazy.

ooh i did a full page double spread and put two or three narrative balloons i'm a frikken genius. modern pages are nothing compared to pages from the golden age which were and are a work of art.

should artists be paid fairly yeah. but they don't do a tenth of the work the artists in the golden age did.

Your generalizations are showing.

As someone who owns nearly 12,000 floppies, you're mad to think they're the best format, especially given how lacking in content most modern comics are.

There's a reason the trend of binding your own comics blew up ~5 years ago.

My enjoyment of floppies does not depend on the lacking nature of most modern comics

In fact it is that enjoyment that helps me weed away bad comics.

>My enjoyment of floppies does not depend on the lacking nature of most modern comics

You're a bit blind, aren't you?

I love bad comics, they're as much a part of the medium as the good ones, and I own a huge chunk of bad comics because I can enjoy them in different ways.

But to argue the publication practices/industry surrounding the medium isn't eating itself away means that you're refusing to be critical of the things you claim to love. It's just silly.

How do you get that from what I posted.

I try a bunch of comics, if they are not worth it from the issues I stop buying them.

I am buying and enjoying lots of comics of all kinds from all over the world, it is just the number I get through Diamond sticks to 4 or 5 usually and doesn't fluctuate that much.

I'm with you buddy, i fucking love floppies too.
I had to stop buying them but they make me happy when i sit through my boxes and look through all of them.

jesus christ that is a massive omnibus

Good thing it was already in my amazon wish list, now I've been pushed to buy.

I've been reading it in short bursts, couple issues at a time just because it's so damn unwieldy. Like holding a brick.

more trades dc

This is my major problem with the Omnibus format in general.

There is a page/size limit and once you cross it it all falls apart.

Round 4 announced today!!

gonna have it all once that starts shipping

Yeah, I love having them around for convenience sake, but I really would've preferred it as like a two volume set in a slipcase or something.

>Burn the big 2 comics but keep the indieshit

I won't read prophet now because you are a total hipster faggot priding yourself on hating the big 2. If you recommend me anything else again I will come back and buttfuck your father with your mom's headless corpse on this goddamn lawn. Indie comics my ass, Fuck. You.

That is why I am very glad I got the New X-Men 3 volumes and not the big book.

To me the perfect size is that Scud Whole Shebang book or a volume of Vagabond or Lone Wolf.

Those Marvel Ultimate collections are usually a good middle size.

I gotta re-arrange these soon and go through for stuff I no longer want soon.

Getting rid of stuff you no longer enjoy is the key to a great collection.

Still need to read Round Three but I'mma own that anyway.

And finally finished book one of Morrison's Seven Soldiers. Damn, that is an entertaining book and getting better the the connections at the end.