Why don't western cartoons use English Pop music use as the opening theme?

Why don't western cartoons use English Pop music use as the opening theme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p81_kAFdyr8
youtube.com/watch?v=fMpI_bc3LrI
youtube.com/watch?v=lG0uaNS87Dc
youtube.com/watch?v=4bCyf1AwOJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=V3Hiu92LRYc
youtube.com/watch?v=2Y2VzSY1HIg
youtube.com/watch?v=No_omXE6TK0
youtube.com/watch?v=7IzSGvXc_PM
youtube.com/watch?v=gWdm5CWKrwk
youtube.com/watch?v=NgMAKuJIkmc
youtube.com/watch?v=3MNUas5g7TQ
youtube.com/watch?v=KHhWsRBdvLk
youtube.com/watch?v=yNbCzKcn-PY
youtube.com/watch?v=W1vemcVD5A0
youtube.com/watch?v=lajKU63hfW8
youtube.com/watch?v=f8d3bW42aFY
youtube.com/watch?v=eylzazKebD8
youtube.com/watch?v=7nBCpV_WinA
youtube.com/watch?v=tkdUI9F8AYs
youtube.com/watch?v=N2ZMhkhNfcw&index=8&list=FLEba2K_dbPwH3kQEqp5jwQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=644YfRpE3oE
youtube.com/watch?v=ir4XZ6583rc
youtube.com/watch?v=TOBW1WYXKOk
youtube.com/watch?v=tsbiSbvrRn0
youtube.com/watch?v=la6aaRodbXU
youtube.com/watch?v=B6NOMaotpDw
youtube.com/watch?v=b0B53K7MBZ4
youtube.com/watch?v=BXKIdyDWJTg
youtube.com/watch?v=f62TiDtEkL8
youtube.com/watch?v=rOl0WW2sdYE
youtube.com/watch?v=10Qzsr_8IbA
youtube.com/watch?v=dH0B2FnVEWk
youtube.com/watch?v=fbx0WPICW14
youtu.be/h6-kETedHFI
youtu.be/Aw3fN3OPk3A
youtu.be/QxkMzn4et2U
youtu.be/wApAEg0ErgE
youtu.be/Kt3tKHRrjWw
youtu.be/Yswoe_RnJXQ
youtu.be/Gx-2EK8SRaU
youtu.be/4si-j4XmzzU
youtu.be/hMNJwUUHMxc
youtu.be/FQf-NkWz7Yo
youtu.be/EZRo8Z1Ser8
youtu.be/k2IGRs2_a0Q
youtu.be/tbkpGOMyrCY
youtu.be/rhx-qWDMGyo
youtube.com/watch?v=INo_5WXov3A
youtu.be/MuOAnWNFvTc
youtu.be/dMtDllZHDuw
youtube.com/watch?v=oBmigxm8fu8
youtube.com/watch?v=K28Lcc-MdJs
my.mixtape.moe/tynnxj.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=n21NT9sWbsc
youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs
youtu.be/jCv35adlOG0
youtu.be/fTUx52syT4o
youtube.com/watch?v=uAG3MyR-MGk
youtube.com/watch?v=ZlIyGMkOTTw
youtube.com/watch?v=SOITIb_ECRc
youtube.com/watch?v=aPD2y4gT3vw
youtube.com/watch?v=MRwaHozoick
youtube.com/watch?v=KjD4_vlPMao
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because it'll be dated in a few months?

Because it's a bad idea. Also, western Pop artists don't sell their souls to the company store so they expect actual compensation for shit like that.

Because it's cheaper to have your composer make a minute long clip than license a song. Japanese shows are sponsored by companies that own the rights to musicians work and can set up deals to feature tracks as OPs and EDs

Why don't western cartoons use English Pop music use as the ending theme?

Probably too expensive.

Also, can you imagine Adventure Time with a pop intro by Rhianna or something? Jesus God just kill me now.

RIAA, music licensing fees, and individuality.
Do you remember "Daria"?
In order to release it on DVD, they had to remove the music tracks from every episode. Because licensing them all would have cost more than the cartoon was worth in DVD sales. Our music copyright system is so ass-backwards that it makes it cheaper to just write an original theme tune.

I always fucking cringe because of anime pop.

It's a stupid trope that should leave anime.
It doesn't matter what genre, if it's grim dark or if it's middle ages fantasy the show HAS to have a pop song that doesn't have any relation to the show and doesn't even represent the show.

In America we make our own songs with a jingle that introduces the show, offers insight into the themes of the series and follows the same beat.

OPM at least had Jap metal which is pretty funny. And Lain had a Vietnamese acoustic guitar for her opening. Other anime should follow that.

>another "why don't cartoons just become anime" thread

Because the network requires shows to have theme songs to explain the basic concept of the show to new viewers, not to sell CDs.
And Americans don't buy CDs.

because english pop is shit and not catchy at all.

I'd rather not have to sit through the same two minute music video every episode.

Because Western singers would demand a gorillion dollars.

youtube.com/watch?v=p81_kAFdyr8

infinitely more memorable

But i like some Pop songs there like this
youtube.com/watch?v=fMpI_bc3LrI

Nothing beats this
youtube.com/watch?v=lG0uaNS87Dc

Oh man, I just know someone is going to show up and start a whole western animation vs anime debate.

Fuck i meant this to

I have always said the copyright system needs an overhaul but it's to risky to auctualy do it in case it gets hyjacked by faggots that just want to get rid of copyright altogether.

youtube.com/watch?v=4bCyf1AwOJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=V3Hiu92LRYc
youtube.com/watch?v=2Y2VzSY1HIg

youtube.com/watch?v=No_omXE6TK0

youtube.com/watch?v=7IzSGvXc_PM

This. Who the fuck actually wants to hear Rihanna every half hour when CN airs a marathon

>Why don't western cartoons use English Pop music use as the opening theme?

Because in Japan, the record labels pay the studios to include their songs in the cartoon.

In the West, the studios have to pay the record labels for the license to use their songs in the cartoon.

In western, the intro is much less important than eastern.

Because the show would have to pay instead of the show GETTING paid like in Japan.

Because it come's off as cringey. The closest thing that we ever got was generator rex.

youtube.com/watch?v=gWdm5CWKrwk

youtube.com/watch?v=NgMAKuJIkmc
youtube.com/watch?v=3MNUas5g7TQ

Anime OPs are not all the same. They are not all pop songs or the same kind of pop songs. Shows like Psycho-Pass, Kabaneri, Knights of Sidonia and Overlord don't have the same kind of OPs as Yuru Yuri, Anne Happy and K-On. The production committee does excercise some common sense when deciding on the song. Sometimes they're even instrumentals.

This season:
youtube.com/watch?v=KHhWsRBdvLk
youtube.com/watch?v=yNbCzKcn-PY
youtube.com/watch?v=W1vemcVD5A0
youtube.com/watch?v=lajKU63hfW8
youtube.com/watch?v=f8d3bW42aFY

The OP/ED system of anime is great because the record company covers some of the production costs, there's an additional source of revenue, and the artist and anime both promote each other, but I don't know if it could be implemented in America.

Also I forgot to say that OPs usually seem to be composed specifically for the show, not just picked from a list.

it's a shame really.

Japanese music does sound more pleasing to the ears, half of it is probably because i don't speak the language.

Western cartoons occasionally get popular artists to do their intros. It doesn't happen often, but it happens.
youtube.com/watch?v=eylzazKebD8

i fucking love the Paradise Kiss ED.

I'm reminded of Yona's 2nd OP that was a not a well-fitting song compared to the first OP
youtube.com/watch?v=7nBCpV_WinA
youtube.com/watch?v=tkdUI9F8AYs

I have always liked OPs in anime because i always found myself some good japanese music to listen.
youtube.com/watch?v=N2ZMhkhNfcw&index=8&list=FLEba2K_dbPwH3kQEqp5jwQQ

>half of it is probably because i don't speak the language.
Probably yeah it is a language that is pleasing to the ears but I'm sure understanding a lot of those songs will cause you to hate them.
There probably no difrent in theme to western stuff

American pop artists are soulless and demand a whole lot more money than Japanese ones. Also the copyright system in the west is fucked.

Holy shit! It will be like an AMV shit

Sometimes they do just grab a song that happens to be popular. This One Piece song, for example:
youtube.com/watch?v=644YfRpE3oE

It's just a Japanese cover of an English Eurobeat song that happened to be popular at the time (which later got recursively dubbed into English). It wasn't even composed specifically for the show.

Half the reason I love Jojo's is all of the references to western music acts.

This happened to Mission Hill, too.

>Jojo uses Savage Garden as an ED theme

That is so fucking surreal...

Yeah, Yona's second OP is a real blunder. It doesn't fit and they recycled so much of the footage from the first one.

Red Garden is also a good example.

OP: youtube.com/watch?v=ir4XZ6583rc
ED: youtube.com/watch?v=TOBW1WYXKOk

Neither of them fit the show, the ED least of all. I'm sure they were just forced to include something, anything, they could sell as singles.

And this is the music that the composer and a singer produced for the soundtrack, which fit the tone of the show:
youtube.com/watch?v=tsbiSbvrRn0
youtube.com/watch?v=la6aaRodbXU

They could have made really fitting and memorable OPs and EDs for the series, but alas. The integration of the music and anime industries doesn't always produce good results.

Eurobeat is fucking 10/10.
youtube.com/watch?v=B6NOMaotpDw

A whole host of interrelated reasons. Primarily:
- Money
Dollars flow towards artists and music labels in the US, not the other way around as with Japanese media conglomerates that use anime as an advertising platform for merchandise beyond toys. This is why on the occassion when a Western pop song headlines an anime in Japan, it isn't replicated for the American release of that title.
>Appropriate opportunities
90 seconds on either end of an episode is insanely luxurious for a one-hour time slot in the US, let alone a half-hour. That's because there are major structural differences in commercial advertising between late-night anime and most American television.
- Lack of incentive
American cartoons and produced for young kids, a demographic that does not consume copious amounts of music. Therefore, nobody gains from advertising a couple new top 40 singles to them.

>I don't know if it could be implemented in America.
Good point. What artist would want "As heard in the Wonder Over Yonder cartoon!" with a goofy character on the front of an album?

One Piece might be different as it's a continuously running show.

DID SOMEONE SAY EUROBEAT!
youtube.com/watch?v=b0B53K7MBZ4

Because ukulele music is interchangeable with bank and yogurt adverts.

These are good points.

There's a lot of differences like this between the American and Japanese industries that aren't immediately obvious.

youtube.com/watch?v=BXKIdyDWJTg

American companies barely spend money as is. You really think they'd spend more.

Although it did just occur to me that daytime anime does have commercials, but uses OPs and EDs the same way late night anime does. And anime that's aimed at children also sells music. The girls' series Aikatsu! even revolves around music and there's been a lot of album releases.

Some used to :
youtube.com/watch?v=f62TiDtEkL8

youtube.com/watch?v=rOl0WW2sdYE

Bonus : youtube.com/watch?v=10Qzsr_8IbA

EDs are good too.
youtube.com/watch?v=dH0B2FnVEWk
youtube.com/watch?v=fbx0WPICW14
>inb4 moeshit
yes i know but i enjoyed Non Non Biyori

You are full of shit
youtu.be/h6-kETedHFI
youtu.be/Aw3fN3OPk3A
youtu.be/QxkMzn4et2U
youtu.be/wApAEg0ErgE
youtu.be/Kt3tKHRrjWw
youtu.be/Yswoe_RnJXQ
youtu.be/Gx-2EK8SRaU
youtu.be/4si-j4XmzzU
youtu.be/hMNJwUUHMxc
youtu.be/FQf-NkWz7Yo
youtu.be/EZRo8Z1Ser8
youtu.be/k2IGRs2_a0Q
youtu.be/tbkpGOMyrCY
youtu.be/rhx-qWDMGyo

Yeah, the power of idol culture, mang.

youtube.com/watch?v=INo_5WXov3A

They sell even character cds with just two musics.
youtu.be/MuOAnWNFvTc
youtu.be/dMtDllZHDuw
Stupid sexy Mai Stupid sexy Sakamoto as well

If you think that's surreal Savage Garden is releasing a new album and they have Josuke on the cover

Konosubas ED was comfy
youtube.com/watch?v=oBmigxm8fu8

I really liked Rakugo's OP, speaking of last season
youtube.com/watch?v=K28Lcc-MdJs

jpop is just as bad m8
the 3 worst music genres are
1 metal
2 pop
3 rap

That's a top tier OP right there

Wow.

But there is a lot good jpop but i do agree that most of it is bad.

The ED is also great.

my.mixtape.moe/tynnxj.webm

Too much hype for an 11-minute cartoon.

Example:
youtube.com/watch?v=n21NT9sWbsc

>the 3 worst music genres are
>1 metal
>2 pop
>3 rap

Japan already proved it works.
youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs

Because the opening for a western cartoon isn't really a marketable product like the opening to an anime.
The opening to an anime is selling you the single for that song.
I can't think of too many western shows at all that managed to have an opening worth selling besides Friends.

20 sec opening for a 5 min episode.
youtu.be/jCv35adlOG0

Ironically with all the gratuitous english in many animes this one is a Japanese opening in an educational anime to teach English. Also the story is pretty good.

Money.
It's cheaper to make their own theme

Kevin Mantei is pretty good. youtu.be/fTUx52syT4o

It is a shame that people don't care as much about music in the west.

Because the US is faggy but not herbivore men level faggy yet.

Did you grab this from a "cartoons only you remember" thread?

Usakame has a 40 second opening for 3:30 long episodes. The ending is 50 seconds. Pan de Peace!'s opening is 30 seconds out of 3:15.

Is music now faggy?

>anime's opening is just a character walking around/sitting and staring with a few action scenes sprinkled in with zero flow between shots
Glad this doesn't happens often anymore.

Because practically no channel shows credits full-screen anymore.

pop is nOT A GENRE YOU MONGOLOID

I think Paranoid Android was so expensive to license the network (Fuse, not Adult Swim) had to pay for it.

>jpop

>"good" by any stretch of the word

Jesus christ weeb are this deluded

different strokes for different folks, ya faggot

It is good, and enjoying it doesn't make anyone a weeaboo.

>It is good

youtube.com/watch?v=uAG3MyR-MGk

Sorry mang, i don't have the capacity to enjoy something "ironically"

I thought we were talking about music appearing in anime.

Not him but most viewed doesn't means the best. It is like saying that the most viewed american music videos represents all american music.

Money reasons, and just as well, too.

Modern pop music is mostly trash. At least, the stuff generally popular enough to be licensed as a theme song is. Do you really want to be listening to some horrible Gaga or Rihanna shit whenever you tune in to comedy carton #5253262?

Everything about that show was comfy.

First anime in years to actually make me laugh.

>Top 50 most viewed J-pop videos
>see look guys i know j-pop and it sucks lol

Well, people seems to like that Zootopia music...

>i know j-pop

No, im all of it/99% it's shit, pointing out that one song that isn't doesn't disprove what i said

>the most viewed american music videos represents all american music

they are indicative of the music tendencies/style of the country, what are you on about ?

*saying

It represents what's popular, which defines the mainstream trends. Of course there will always be outliers, but those aren't what people are listening to.

They are usually shit. At least my country have lots of good music that is popular overseas but what is popular in the country is shit.

Duran Duran's Girls on Film was used for the opening for Speed Grapher.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZlIyGMkOTTw
However when Funimation did the series they couldn't get rights to use the song so they only used this opening.
youtube.com/watch?v=SOITIb_ECRc

There was a period when using Western OP/ED music was trendy or there was some other rationale for it.

Have some Japanese Funk
youtube.com/watch?v=aPD2y4gT3vw

because they're not allowed to make an opening longer than 10 seconds so they go with something simple

Ah yes, the first half of the 2000s
youtube.com/watch?v=MRwaHozoick
youtube.com/watch?v=KjD4_vlPMao