Languages with articles

>languages with articles
>languages where articles change based on gender/cases

It was the worst thing about learning french.

>languages that aren't english

OP is complaining about articles but his languages looks like pic related

>neuter gender

Jožin z bažin močálem se plíží,
Jožin z bažin k vesnici se blíží,
Jožin z bažin už si zuby brousí,

Not an article in sight

>the
>a/an
Yeah that is pretty hard to remember, you’re right

Our Japanese speaking Japanese have not articles and gender so very easy.

It's not hard to remember, it's just a pretty pointless distinction

If you learned German or Ancient Greek, than you know the horror.

Genders can really be helpful. Just imagine only having one word for he, she and it. That would bother you wouldn't it.

Genders are ok. Gendered articles are not.

Articles aren't that bad. I use two, not complaining desu.

yes if only every language could be so easy like japanese

How are gendered articles worse than gendered pronouns?

Ten sounds fucking hilarious. It's how West Slavs tried to emulate 'der' to match the die and das of ta and to.

Why are pronouns legit and articles aren't? Both are just as useful.
In English "child" is neuter, "lawyer" can be both male or female. Wouldn't you say that's just as arbitrary as using a female article for "person" or "carrot" in German?

Because you use gendered pronouns instead of the word, not along with the word.

What does an article tell you? If you mean some specific object or some general object? You can usually infer that from the context. And even then, why do they have to be gendered?

But you do use them along with the word. Also don't forget about adjectives which are heavily inflected in your language too.

>biblical example
Nobody talks like that.

Oh really?

Knowing when to use, or not to use, English articles is the final boss of learning English.

You think that they're 'pointless' only because you don't know how to use them properly.

>I own a Laptop with a mouse
>I bought it last week
>The mouse or the laptop?

If they had different genders this question would be obsolete.

Lewd.

Yes, and that's why I posted it. Swearing always represents the actual grammar of the spoken language.

This kind of ambiguity is rare, and hardly worth remembering the arbitrary gender of tens of thousands of inanimate objects.

> I bought a laptop with a mouse last week.
> I bought a mouse for my laptop last week.

I know how to use them properly. Articles in English don't piss me off nearly as much as German articles do.

The example has nothing to do with articles though

Sure, there are some cases where you do want to specify but most of the times, you use pronouns alone.

It's easy in my language. You just look at the end of the word. -o = masculine
-a = feminine
with just some exceptions

>arbitrary

>The article has nothing to do with articles
It's about gendered words, which are ultimately determined by the article.
>This ambiguity is rare
Of course it's rare in the English language. You don't say it this way, because you avoid the ambiguity.

*languages that are good

>to dekle

Ta dečva čsi

Learning English, it difficult to use "articles"

>gender is determined by an article
No. The word itself has a gender.

>a czech making complains about langauge when he has that ungodly "r"

Cases on their own are more difficult than this, why would a couple of different articles be hard for you?

Almost every word has some kind of inflection in both German and your native language. Why would a couple of additional particles make such a difference to you? It surely can't be more difficult than remembering dozens of noun declension paradigms.

That's just a sound

Cases are easy. We have 7. Germans only have 4 and genitiv is rare anyway. Remembering what article goes to what word is the shit part and unlike Czech, you can't really deduce what the word is going to be from how it ends.

In German it is, so when at least when it comes to German the article contains the information that the English language wouldn't provide in this case.

>In German it is
Exactly. Therein lies the problem.

and the legit purpose.

Not necessarily, German is a very logical language,you need to pay attention to the rules then ot becomes easier to learn

So sounds like the problem is not the genders themselves but their unpredictability. Other than that I can't see how German is harder than a slavic language. Both have cases and genders.

Inanimate gender is entirely arbitrary. There is no reason why a table is feminine or sugar masculine.

It's not rocket science, it's literally just the ending of the word

Not in some languages. French, German, Russian (sometimes), etc., all have no way to distinguish gender morphologically.

That's the thing, Germans completely suck when it comes to assigning genders. Atleast in Czech, you can be 80% sure what gender the noun is based on how it ends. German only has that certainty with -ung.

I'm talking about Slovene genders

Cases make sense, a couple of different articles with no rules no logic no nothing is hard because you just have to remember them without any context.

Articles actually kill ambiguity though.

gender is assigned arbitrarily in German. You basically have to remember the article with the noun to be able to write and speak properly. Not only that, but you have 4 cases which change the article. That and word order make German hard to learn...though you get used to word order pretty quick

t. nit, noč, kino, vojvoda

Twain was right when he wrote about German. A langauge that specializes in long composite words has the verb as the last so you don't know what the fuck is happening until you reach the end. Want to count in German? Thousands, hundreds, single units, tens. Do you want to say something simple? Sure hope you remember all those articles for all those words bud.

True but that contradicts your original post.
Articles in German serve the same purpose as the word endings in Slavic languages: they encode information about the gender. But whether or not the genders/endings/declensions are easy to memorize in a given language is a different story.

Not at all. Articles are a really shitty way to encode genders since they have nothing in common with the word which is what my post was about.

A few exceptions never hurt. They're not an issue

Number of letters in the longest word

But some of these are probably meme words.
For example German uses morphological agglutination which is quite different from the true agglutinative languages. So you can just combine a bunch of words together not necessarily in a practical way.

Yeah I find reading german can be somewhat suspenseful ... they read like:

She will the building on Tuesday.........inspect!

All of them are meme words. But when you have a government which calls a law Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz, you gotta wonder if the memes aren't true.