Why do people like Doomsday?

Why do people like Doomsday?

he is Superman's Bane

Because they're idiots. There is literally nothing to like about Doomsday, he's just "spiky Hulk" except without the human side that makes Hulk interesting. He has no motivation, no personality, no nothing, all he was good for was killing Superman, and even that's debatable. He is a blank slate who punches stuff really hard. Only simpletons would like a concept like that.

I've never heard anyone say anything about him.
He was created for one editorial purpose, he served that function, and then he should have been done.

1. Hulk isnt interesting
2. Hulk is shit
3. Doomsday is fun in the same way a tornado or an earthquake are, they don't need personality, they are plot devices

People like Doomsday?

Who the hell likes Doomsday? He's the shallowest comic book villain in a long line of shallow villains.

I was listening to a podcast where one of the hosts thinks he's Superman's best villain

I'm not a huge fan, but I see some of the appeal.

Doomsday is the monster that always comes back. It's character is nothing more than a plot device, yes, but it's one of those cliches that makes sense in superhero stories.

He's a monster and "coming back stronger than before" is literally in his DNA.

Hulk at least has a motivation and a personality. Also, I've never heard anyone say "oh man, that tornado was my favorite character" except when shitting on a movie like Twister. Characters shouldn't be plot devices, and if they are they shouldn't be used over and over instead of other characters with more meat to them.

Like Bane, he is the one time the usually perfect image of their respective heroes were shattered. Bane outsmarted Batman and Doomsday overpowered Superman. Both were beaten to a point that they could no longer be the heroes they once were.

Doomsday is like Broly, a mindless spectacle that you can turn your brain off and watch him tear cities and people apart. He's lowest common denominator and when appealing to a broad market of fans and not fans, he's perfect for reeling them in.

>one of the hosts thinks he's Superman's best villain

Why do fags keep calling him a villain? He is pure animal, not evil. Lmao

Doomsday is cool, only try hards have a problem with him. His new 52 arc was weak though. I'm upset "Doomed" didn't fit the teaser from Morrison's action comics run. The legendary battle depicted was totally replaced. Really wish doomed had been a more intense version of DoS, with Wondy tagging in.
it was really good though

Same reason why people like Broly. People like shitty MUH POWER IZ MAXIMUMMMM villains because they're braindead and have no taste.

He saved us.

>Also, I've never heard anyone say "oh man, that tornado was my favorite character"

And no one says that about doomsday.

No, you were not.

Hulk is the worst thing about Marvel's line up. His greatest story arc, World War Hulk, is overrated trash.

He looks cool, shut the fuck up you fucking cynics.

Why do you idiots keep missing my point? This isn't about whether Hulk is a good character or not, and fact is, if you think Hulk is so shitty, then Doomsday is even worse because he's Hulk's worst traits turned up to eleven.

And here's one of the simpletons I was talking about. "He looks cool", solid reasoning, buddy.

Some do, some don't - don't generalize.

because his origin is hilariously stupid

I don't think anyone has ever claimed to like him. I've never once seen anyone say that on this board.

Nostalgia, a cool design, and a legitimate threat to Superman without any sort of cop-out like Kryptonite, magic, melodrama, etc. You're pretty much guaranteed to get a badass Superman fight with Doomsday!

You never read Superman/Doomsday where it is shown he has higher level cognitive thought and is quite sadistic

Not every character has to be deep. Is he a deep or interesting character? Nah. Is he even remotely as good as a lot of other much deeper cape characters? Nah. But a villain that's just a mindless animal who doesn't talk and fucks shit up is kinda fun sometimes.

The difference is that Doomsday is not a character, he has no mind, he is a thing. How autistic you have to be to not understand the difference between an Animal and a Character?

He may have, and the host was an idiot.

don't worry, Johns will retcon Doomsday.

His original name will be Apol Calip 6 but his friends called him "DON" the kryptonian word for "pushover", a good guy just like clark kent, but a scientist in krypton, he was a SEXY BALD GUY that lost his family in a war lead by the EL family.
He swear vengeance on the house of ell and experimented on himself to finally get revange, the reckoning of the house of El will be known as "DON'S DAY".

>He looks cool

he looks like solomon grundy fell into a pit of glue and then ran through a cave

I like Doomsday, but I'm going to admit that there isn't much depth to the character at all.

He's big, he's stronger than Superman, and he always comes back stronger than before. There's not a lot about him, even his name, that's not a gimmicky.

There's exactly one Doomsday story I think is a little compelling, and that's when he adopted Superman's identity after he was kidnapped by Gog (or Magog, I can never keep those two straight). Other than that he's pretty much only good for fight scenes, and even then those turn out a little uninspiring.

I thought Superdoom looked cool.

For the purposes of discussing literature, there is a very small distinction between animal and character (in fact these are normally not even capitalized). Animals can be characters, so your distinction is a bit unclear: what you perhaps mean to say is that Doomsday is so minor a character that he hardly counts as anything more than a convenient plot device, as this user already stated

Nice try user, but this sounds more like a Lobdell story.

Gog was the third world god and Magog was the edgy guy

Were there two Magogs (Kingdom Come and Post-Crisis/Pre-Flashpoint)? I seem to remember this being a story involving Magog in the mainline continuity.

Muh Jim Lee/Rob Liefeld 90z aesthetic

SEXY BALD MEN is 70% of Johns development

JSA. it was cool

he really doesn't