ITT: Painfully mediocre writers

Mark Waid

>it's a Geoff Johns fan thread

Dan Abnett

His DD run petered out after #25

Geoff Johns is in the same category

His Hulk was bad, Shield was bad, Avengers is bad.

Black Widow is decent but that's being co written by Samnee

Grant Morrison, the one trick pony

>what if people in comic books were real
>what if comic book characters knew they were in a comic
>what if comic book characters were just another universe were and the comic was the portal
>what if this character was really comic booky and I made reference to the fact that he is a comic book character

Black Widow also hasn't really gone anywhere yet. Still plenty of time to screw it up.

What if I stuck my penis in your butt, faggot?

Then I still wouldn't be as butthurt as you.

imo His Avengers would be a lot better if they tossed Sam, Jane, Vision, and Tony out and added a bunch of other teens heroes with Kamala, Sam, and Miles and made it New Young Avenger.s

Grant Morrison

Waid, Pak, Gage, Yost, Abnett, Soule, Taylor, Zub, Tomasi, Jurgens, Tieri

This man gave me Chain Lightning and JLA: Year One. I will speak no ill of him.

Len Wein

Waid isn't mediocre he's shit.

JLA Year One sucked.

>2016
>having shit taste
I SHIGGY DIGGY

I know right? how can anyone like that steaming pile of shit.

Snyder
Johns
Waid
Rucka
Robinson
Fraction
Kot
Tynion
Edmondson

>one trick pony
>lists four tricks
Can't explain that.

The vast majority of people who hate Grant Morrison are fucking plebs. Prove me wrong.

Or they are the Gentry trying to get us not to believe his gospel.

Neil Gaiman

Sheeeiiit..

So you mean its a
>writer who's great at DC but crap at Marvel
thread

There's alot of contrarian/plebs in this thread

he looks like how I imagine Boco looks

that's the joke

Writing in DC's shallow talent pool always makes you comparatively better.

Do you see any possible similarity between the different tricks, pray tell?

The vast majority of people who like Grant Morrison are plebs. Prove me wrong. Do you see how idiotic that sounds. No evidence on a forum such as this could ever come close to presenting anything worthwhile, and even if it were to happen, it would just be dismissed by "yeah, but still the VAST MAJORITY are idiots anyway." Talk about what makes him great in your eyes instead of acting this defensively.

Also
>MEDIOCRE writers thread
>You must hate him and you're a pleb!

Only on Sup Forums.

autism

>Do you see how idiotic that sounds. No evidence on a forum such as this could ever come close to presenting anything worthwhile, and even if it were to happen, it would just be dismissed by "yeah, but still the VAST MAJORITY are idiots anyway." Talk about what makes him great in your eyes instead of acting this defensively.
Morrison is great because his works are densely layered and have an intricate, non-linear structure to them, with references to mythology, philosophy, classical literature, and obscure comic books scattered throughout that do not feel forced, but feel like an intrinsic part of whatever he's doing. He also generally writes characters really quite well and has a way with dialogue.

There, you happy?

>>You must hate him and you're a pleb!
In fairness, people who hate Morrison frequently fail to pick up important aspects of his works and don't seem to be able to wrap their minds around what he's doing. That's not the case ALL the time, but it very frequently is.

More like painfully mediocre opinions

Almost all comic book writers who didn't start as artists are dog shit.

Nothing wrong with writing with a particular theme in mind. In terms of cape comics, Morrison has written a lot of different sub genres. His Multiversity is a good example of his varied work, where he wrote a classic children's book to a pulp book to a political conspiracy. Compare that to writers like Bendis, Johns or Lemire who can't excel in more than one sub genre.

This is also true

Morrison.
He can't write good characters or good plots so he revolves around METAgimmicks and AREN'T COMICS CRAYZ? *wink wink* moments

Ewing

>He can't write good characters or good plots so he revolves around METAgimmicks

Animal Man is so frustrating because the writing in it is solid all the way until Morrison shows up as God to explain why bad things happen to fictional characters. Compared to the cast from Doom Patrol, which was just weirdness on top of weirdness so the character never seemed that different form their threats, Buddy and his family felt like real people

Worse it comes across like he's spelling out some profound truth, it's just pretentious. Everything in the ending was already covered in The Coyote Gospel

Garth Ennis.

Deus Ex Machina is the greatest issue of all comics tho.

>Morrison is a one trick pony

He sure does love his panentheism and mysticism, but I've found he can do more than one story. Doom Patrol was not Animal Man was not Final Crisis was not We3 was not The Invisibles was not Multiversity was not The Filth. They had different tones and themes and characters, even if they all have commonalities.

You could say for instance that WE3 is like Animal Man because it has a pro-animal rights message and a pro "be nice to things weaker than yourself" message, but beyond that they're entirely different beasts.

They're all mediocre that's why they write comics. I they were good they would get a real job

>So that the characters never seemed that different from their threats.

I actually found the Doom Patrol to be some of his most human characters. They're all horribly, beautifully damaged people with identity issues. And they all cover it up in different ways. Cliff plays the unflappable down to Earth Ben Grimm but he's worried if he or his friends are at all like their previous incarnations. I loved that he never stopped believing that Rebis was the same Negative Man that he knew. Rebis acts cold and aloof but is afraid because he doesn't know what the hell he is. Robin has her multiple personalities.

Morrison DP is in my opinion one of the most well-developed super hero teams of all time in terms of theme and character development. And they got a happy ending at the end of the run, something that almost never happens to super hero teams.

At least they used to be good. Fuckin Flash curse.

How come everyone forgets Seaguy when talkin' bout Morrison?

I liked the ending more than animal man. It was a happy ending for the characters, but bitter sweet for readers. Turning the last few pages was emotional.

He's good with a good editor that can keep him under control. His black comedy tends to be juvenile, but he's capable of legitimate pathos when properly controlled. His 616 Punisher was meh, but his MAX Punisher was GOAT.

No, they've always been fan writers

Geoff Johns is the king of mediocrity and cereal.

Thank you. Beyond all the craziness, he has a fairly good range.

>His 616 Punisher was meh, but his MAX Punisher was GOAT

I feel the opposite. MAX was way to grim and serious, Welcome Back Frank and Knights were filled with some really great humor like Frank and Spider-man's " team-up" or Frank just shooting Wolverine for fun because he knows it won't damage him

>classic DC used comics within comics as a cornerstone of their hokey Silver Age multiverse
>Earth-Prime was our world

Lurk more, faggot.

Pretty much this. They all have good stuff from time to time, but not great.

Lol my favourite three writers are the first three in the thread.

I dont see any of those "gimmicks" in his x-men run.

Scott Lobdell

Paul Dini

But we know how Boco looks
You're not that wrong

I can cherrypick at least one good comic from every one of them except for Yost, Zub and Tieri.
Fuck those guys.

Nothing "mediocre" about Waid. He's either awesome of shit. Not much middle ground with him actually.

>Yost
Didn't like Scarlet Spider?

Where did all of the Waid hate come from? I've never loved his writing but aside from some whiny social media presence he's had some decent stuff like his Flash run and shit like Birthright. This just seems to me like one of those things where he did one really bad thing and now Sup Forums hates him retroactively. I honestly wish to know what happened as I'm not caught up Waid's history.

it is pretty much just the twitter stuff and some lackluster recent runs

His Cap was good in the 90s.

What's he done recently? I thought he was mostly done with comics.

Hulk
Daredevil (just went off a cliff after #25)
SHIELD
Avengers

all of them disappointing

Right he did do Hulk, didn't he? I don't think it was bad, just nothing special. We're people just disappointing it wasn't better than that?

were*

Remember, user. Start threads about things you like, not things you hate.

>He also generally writes characters really quite well and has a way with dialogue.
I'll give you the first bit but I think at this point you stopped talking about Morrison.

I started okay but it progressively got worse

The only good thing about a Black Widow is the art

>the man who wrote crazy captain marvel

FUCK
YOU

This

American Gods was shit and I'm sure he was the reason why I didn't enjoy Good Omens as much as PTerry's other work