Open the pod bay doors, HAL

Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

PING

Who was in the wrong here?

The Doors

come on baby light my fire

HALs shitty programmers.

>Tell me Dave, if I pull that helmet off, will you die?
Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
>I'm sure it would be extremely painful, Dave.
HAL, open the pod bay doors.
>But then again...you are a big guy
>..............
>For me.

Each one of those was a backwards projected from 16mm film that all had to be hand animated, and hand operated.

How can a scifi movie's special effects from 1968 still look so goddamn fantastic

I'm afraid I can't do that, Bane.

>Of courshe!

So what was HAL's deal? I heard some say he was just trying to make sense of conflicting objectives, but I've heard the argument that contact with the monolith evolved him into true sentience.

If you want an actual answer, you have to do it right:
>What the fuck was his problem?

In 2010 they explain that HAL was programmed to withhold information about the monolith from the Discovery crew by the government, but they didn't do it in a way that HAL could reconcile with its official orders, so it basically had the AI equivalent of a nervous breakdown.

meant for

sounds retarded
and thats why i didnt watch that movie or read the book

>definitely not IPads

Film was made in the 1960s.
Filmmakers have consistently overestimated mankind's progress when trying to predict the future, especially following the period between 1900 and 1950. This is because they make the mistake of extrapolating man's progress based upon the actual leaps and bounds made during and after the industrial revolution. Poor dears never considered the fact that our real rate of progress would be held back because we had to deal with all of the stifling social problems created by the niggers and jews.

>Talking shit on Dr. Chandra

HAL 9000 refused to open the doors in favor of the mission