The physics of this shield don't make sense to me

The physics of this shield don't make sense to me.

If it absorbs vibrations to reflect off walls and bad guys' faces and shit, shouldn't Winter Soldier's fist just bounce harmlessly off? Also how does it get wedged in anything? There are several scenes of Cap in the movies, comics and cartoons trying to pryshit open with his shield, usually a door or a robot. How? Shouldn't it just bounce back immediately after coming into contact with a hard surface?

Can't they just retcon it, Wakanda and Black panther to be magic so or something? Isn't Black Panther already mostly magic anyway with the panther god shit? Could Mozart still be alive?

vibranium

It's made of vibranium.

the shield doesn't change so there is no reason for it to behave differently in specific situations. Do the writers just forget their rules?

It's made out of bullshit.

It's made of vibranium. It's an element that doesn't actually exist so they can just say 'lol it's vibranium bro don't worry about it'.

>there is no reason for it to behave differently in specific situations
Yes there is. It's literally made of vibranium. What part of that don't you understand?

>Comic books
>Making sense

No. You're doing it wrong.

>If it absorbs vibrations to reflect off walls and bad guys' faces and shit, shouldn't Winter Soldier's fist just bounce harmlessly off? Also how does it get wedged in anything? There are several scenes of Cap in the movies, comics and cartoons trying to pryshit open with his shield, usually a door or a robot. How? Shouldn't it just bounce back immediately after coming into contact with a hard surface?

It's partly that what it does isn't explained very well in terms of what's actually observable. It can't absorb vibrations in the way that you're suggesting because, for example, it makes audible noise on impact. This suggests that the form of the shield as well as the material - traditionally it's adamantium-vibranium alloy, explaining why it's unbreakable as well as some of the more curious properties it has - is responsible for dissipation of the energy of impacts, but not necessarily the absorption. In other words, it probably doesn't absorb but redirects the force of an impact, so it can still bounce around. We might guess that there's a complex harmonic wave-cancelling property unique to the design, such that all force is shared equally through the shield's curvature almost instantaneously, and subsequent reverberations begin to quickly cancel one another out. This also violates the laws of thermodynamics, but not as badly as your suggestion.

By contrast, because the shield can be held in place by Cap, things that hit it (rather than things he throws it at) won't necessarily bounce off - all that energy can still go into the shield but the properties it has prevent that energy from being transferred directly through, instead sending it radiating outward toward the edges of the shield (and back again toward the center).

Using it as a pry is simple: it's a large, resilient object that permits the principle of leverage to come into play. If THAT didn't work, he wouldn't even be able to pick it up.

You're made of vibranium.

Is that you Neil deGrasse Tyson?

theres also been speculation that it bounces around because cap throws it in a way that causes it to redirect the energy absorbed by hitting back into the object, and simple Newtonian physics take over after that.

I thought the point wasn't that it vibrated extra, it was that it neutralizes vibrations. The question is less "How dies his fist not bounce" and more "How does it bounce off walls" in the first place

How would a vibrator made of vibranium work?

It's made of shieldforce

it's shield force, aint gotta explain shit

I saw a theory that the center of the shield has different properties then the edges of the shield

So while the center absorbs energy, the edges reflect it

it's magic substance, I ain't got to explain shit.

there's only one way to find out, user

>traditionally it's adamantium-vibranium alloy

That's actually a mistake that ran in the "Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe" for many years before some writer caught on and corrected it. Cap's shield is a unique vibranium alloy with an unknown component (think "Chemical X") which is why it's impossible to reproduce.
Cap's shield CAN'T possibly be adamantium-vibranium because adamantium was only created AFTER they tried to recreate Captain America's shield.

>which is why it's impossible to reproduce.
Hasn't Cap's shield been broken like four times? How's he get it back if it's impossible to reproduce?

>they guy who made it fell asleep
>forgot what he put into the working formula
why was this jackass in charge of using such rare materials, but incapable of keeping notes of any kind?

And this is why you should read big boy comics user.

DC has a fair amount of stupid shit going on too, for that matter, not gonna lie.

Painfully stupid shit. I'm not gonna sit down and count each offense on either side to say who's worse, but generally the big two are incredibly childish and do not past muster as really good fantasy or science fiction.

Why the fuck am I even bothering?

I'm pretty drunk.

So yeah, Fuck you, I'm Drunk.

Read less sophomoric comics faggots.

Super Glue and Duct Tape

they just use a reality manipulator to manipulate it back together

Aren't there like 50 people who could figure it out? Like Molecule Man or some magic scientist who could figure it out? They couldn't take a look at it when they had the infinity gems?

It works like noise-cancelling headphones.

No, seriously.

There's some sort of quirk in its material and design, causing any vibration to dissipate from the point of impact to thw edges, then those waves return, canceling the later waves generated by the same impact.

Any physical force applied to the surface of the shield is cancelled out by itself. Any other object it hits that does not have this property reacts normally. It bounces off steel and gets wedged in aluminum because aluminum is softer than steel.

He had been working fon no sleep for ages, ended up entering a state of pretty-much sleep walking, finished his work and forged the shield while in that state, then woke up a day later with zero clue what he'd done

Such as?

probably Hellboy, which is valid, but still a stupid thing to say, dumb shit can be entertaining.

Adamantium

The shield obeys the wishes of its master. That's why it can absorb ray gun blasts that are as strong as nukes yet still plinks around like a pinball into the faces of 20 different mooks when needed.

Don't forget that the waste heat from Iron Man's armor should easily be enough to cook him alive.

>Molecule Man
Dude could literally construct an impenetrable doomsday fortress made of Captain America shields and rule the universe forever if he wasn't such a retard.

If that confuses you, then ask yourself this. How does a material that absorbs impact, not just drop to the floor when Cap throws it at something? Why does it bounce? How does it have any impact force when he hits someone with it? When Marvel retconed the shield's origin, they fucked up.

Molecule Man can indeed take Cap's shield apart and put it back together (and has done so), but that's because of his power to control molecules itself, and not because of any scientific skills.
Also, after The Serpent (from the "Fear Irself" event) destroyed Cap's shield, it had to be repaired by Iron Man and a bunch of Asgardian Dwarves (most likely the same dwarves who forged Mjolnir, Thor's hammer). They decided to add Uru into the mix, making Cap's shield even MORE durable than before.

OP, you are a real faggot if you want your comic books to make sense.

The shield's physical properties are different for when it gets hit and for when it hits something.

Spinning also affects the properties.

You're not dumb enough to enjoy capeshit yet. Keep reading until enough of your brain cells die.

Nah, that kind of whining faggotry has to come from some cunt recommending a Frenchman.

Question: What would Wolverine and clones be like if they had vibranium laced bones instead of adamantium?

Their claws wouldn't make a SNIKT sound.

it absorbs vibration, so attacking it is useless, but if cap throws it, it retains the energy used and continues bouncing around

fucked up. sorry. I just made it. this version should be good.

well, at least it's bigger

Thats what she said

The most coherent explanation is that it uses shieldforce.

ez
1.vibranium
2. angles of attack, that determines the perpendicular reaction force

i didn't say it was a good explanation, but it's something

The shield is non-newtonian.

in the comics Vibranium is what Celestials are made of and Celestials are one of the only things that survived the collapse of the previous universe

I don't know if that's really relevant but it's something

Mmm fruit and cake

So how would stuff like Iron Man's repulsor blasts bounce off, but Peggy's test firing bullets just drop to the ground?

I'm made of Vibranium.

How does Cap throw his shield and then the shield bounces off like, 6 guys with enough force to knock them out, then it comes back to him and he catches it like a boomerang?

How the fuck does that work?

vibranium powerchart
>2011
>reflects fire and heat
>2012
>bounces back Thors mjolnir
>2014
>absorbs ground impact from hundreds of feet in air
>is bounced back by grenade launcher
>stalemate with...metal arm
>2015
>absorbs robot lasers
>2016
>takes .50 cal bullets without flinch
>scratched by kitty cat

variable inertial dampening based on contact with material type, velocity, object mass

but that goes beyond simply being a hard indestructible material.. it would be weird and alien, something like metallic rubber

>How it's supposed to work
The face absorbs energy, bring anything that hits it to a stop. The edge reflex energy, bouncing off anything it hits each without losing any force
>How it often works
Whatever.

>it would be weird and alien, something like metallic rubber
Vibranium is made from the remains of an alien species who's bodies are an organic metal. The vibranium mound is where their ship crashed.
That might just be in the ultimate universe though.

>tfw Luffy's learned to turn himself to vibranium

ha thats neat. didn't know that.

if its based of an alien organic material, I suppose its possible that it may be capable of instinctive reflex, like how non-sentient organic materials have nerves and still twitch and whatnot when exposed to certain stimuli.

that kind of reflex could be why the shield reacts differently to various materials and types of impact.

A kitty cat with claws made of the same material.

We're on to something here boys.

What the hell is Bucky's arm made of?

We need a version of this picture only with Black Panther talking about vibranium.

Everything in comic books that doesn't make sense is explained by _____force or some kind of equivalent.