Tom Cruise's 'The Mummy' to Get Lassoed by 'Wonder Woman'

>The 'Mummy' reboot is counting on a strong run overseas — where Cruise still has huge sway — to make up for a probable deficit in the U.S.
Last month, early tracking for Universal’s The Mummy suggested the summer event film would debut to $40 million or so when opening in North American theaters this weekend, a tepid start for the first title in the studio's planned stable of films built around its iconic monster characters.

>The forecast for the reboot has only gotten scarier from there — at least domestically. One of the industry’s most respected polling services, NRG, downgraded its projection to $38 million last week and to $35 million Monday. Such surveys can certainly be unreliable, but if NRG is correct, The Mummy will lose this weekend’s domestic box-office race to holdover Wonder Woman.

>In this week’s edition of the Variety Movie Commercial Tracker, powered by the TV advertising attention analytics company iSpot.tv, Universal Studios claims the top spot in spending for “The Mummy.”

>Ads placed for the Tom Cruise vehicle had an estimated media value of $7.83 million through Sunday for 1,394 national ad airings across 49 networks. (Spend figures are based on estimates generated from May 29 through June 4. Estimates may be updated after the chart is posted as new information becomes available.) Universal appears to be targeting the type of broad demographic befitting a presumed blockbuster, given the diverse range of programming that attracted top ad spend for “The Mummy” spots, including not only the NBA Finals but “World of Dance” and “America’s Got Talent.”

Uh oh.....

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f1jg5YlQuT8
m.ign.com/articles/2016/12/06/the-future-of-the-transformers-cinematic-universe
youtu.be/KUzUK-ZM3P8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Our gal does it again.

Who didn't see this happening? It'll have a moderate to disappointing run domestically, followed by a "solid" run worldwide - enough to justify making Universal monster reboots…until the next 2 flop and the "Dark Universe" is dropped.

Had they actually played on people's like and nostalgia for the Fraiser Mummy movies and made a sequel to that it likely would have made more than this generic looking action movie.

>based tom cruise is going to BTFO wonder woman

Why is Sup Forums always wrong?

Look like the other way around

No, this thing is done

Actually, WW will beat it overseas.

Universal is going to get rekt with this idiotic monster cinematic universe thing.

I just really want to know what the end game of this monster universe will be?
Are they gonna team up to fight a monster? What's the point of any of this?

They are all good guys Id imagine.

They dont even know, Dracula Untold was supposed to kick this shit off with Charles Dance being the big bad.

Now its Dr Jekyll being in charge of a Shield like organization capturing monsters.

Wtf

No reason these movies need a high budget, would work better being creative driven low to mid budget movies.

I doubt it. The third Fraser Mummy was a huge disappointment.

I work at a movie theater, and we've only pre-sold like 15 tickets to The Mummy, whereas Wonder Woman had several sold out shows weeks before it even premiered. I love based Cruise, but Universal basically set this one up to fail, and are practically burying it at this point.

>Hire some of the highest paid actors in the industry
>fail to match expectations

How fucked is Universal?

Wait

Javier Bardem and Johnny Depp are in this crap?

Bardem is Frankenstein's monster and Depp is the Invisible Man.

>Are they gonna team up to fight a monster? What's the point of any of this?
Apparently, it will be Dracula, Black Lagoon monster and the Mummy vs Tom Cruise, Frankensein's monster, Invisible Man and Russell Crowe's Agency.

Who knows who the Wolfman will side with.

Cruise makes solid blockbuster movies, this whole "monster universe" is going to bomb tho.

I'll rent it eventually, but have 0 desire to watch this in a theater. There really isn't anything except Spiderman that I want to see in a theater the rest of the year. Unless Star Wars is this year too?

And it had fucking Jet Li in it. How did they fuck it up?

Lol you said this a week ago

>Go to Sup Forums
>See thread whining about how WW destroyed Captain Underpants.
>Go to Sup Forums
>See thread whining about how WW destroyed The Mummy.

Pottery.

I am as surprised as you.

Can we please stop with this shared universe bullshit.

Make a couple movies that actually do good, then start linking the shit together.

I feel like I'm watching pilots for shows that never come out.

In the post-credit scenes, they set-up for the sequel "The Bride of Frankestein VS The Invisible man"

Who wouldn't wanna see this?
youtube.com/watch?v=f1jg5YlQuT8

In Universal's defense...they practically invented that shit.

They have every right to carry on.

That all sounds fucking stupid.
What the fuck genre are these movies suppose to be? The mummy is an action adventure, so does that mean the Invisable Man will be action adventure, even though it would work best as a drama? And what of Frankenstein? How can you have an action Frankenstien movie?

You know I understand these versus movies with Universal monsters arent new but what the fuck are they thinking making them high budget blockbusters?

looks like the ruse cruise is about to meet its end

I hope they push this universe out even if they lose money from it. Will be neat to have these available in the future. Don't cancel it after two movie releases

>How can you have an action Frankenstien movie?
The book Frankenstein had super strenght and could run very fast and jump very high. He was basically Golden Age Superman.

And it hasn't changed.

This. All of the OG Universal Monster movies were slow-paced, creepy character studies (some of which only taking place in like 3 or 4 rooms). Whoever decided to make this a huge, globe-trotting adventure movie was a fucking idiot.

Benicio Del Toro was perfect as the Wolfman. Shame he's no longer part of this.

I hope they get fucked enough to drop the cinematic universe after the next flick.

But the public doesn't want an action Frankenstein movie, they barely want a Frankenstein movie anyway, but they don't want it to be action.
They tried that before, it flopped and was shit.

I actually want to see where they go with this Monster Universe, not because they are good, but because I want to see they try to make this clusterfuck work.

>They tried that before, it flopped and was shit.
No they didn...oh...OH...i had blocked this from my memory

They made it more about the kid, now an adult, than Fraser and Company out for one last ride with the kid as an equal player rather than the de facto lead. Also bad CG and a lack of Indiana Jones-type flair that the first two had.

Dracula Untold flopped, Victor Frankenstein flopped... If Universal can't get the Big Two to work, how did they think this was going to go over?

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a good idea or that it will work. I'm just saying they can just go with the original version if they wanna do that.

Also, apparently The Mummy sucks.

And the 2010 Wolfman movie flopped.

Remember when people said that Captain Underpants would demolish WW and The Mummy would be the end of it? haha good times.

Movie was average. Its only praised because its closer to the Marvel Formula™ and has a female lead rather than being a truly good film. 6/10.

MoS was a better movie.

Place your bets, MCU goes ahead, but who will inevitably win.

It didn't stop DC.

Transformers.

Marvel will always be top, followed by DC, followed by the Monsterverse in a distant third (female audiences don't watch kaijukino).

Universal didn't make Victor Frankenstein.

/ourgal/ strikes again.

Nice try. Regardless of their quality, those movies still did a shitload of business at the box office, which is all the studios care about. Dracula Untold barely broke even and Victor Frankenstein lost a ton of money.

Transformers is not a cinematic universe, unless they start making Archie/TMNT crossovers.

Kong and Zilla will do just fine. Nothing groundbreaking but enough money to keep making those movies

Dark Universe is cancelled. Literally. They couldnt have picked more expensive actors to release those B tier movies.

Fox has moderate success. Never a 1 billion blockbuster, but solid box office. Fox is where the new Kino is at. They are not afraid of trying new shit. New mutants is a horror movie for example. Some stuff will stick better than others. But overall will be the universe with the highest filmic quality. See Legion, Logan, etc.

DC will start aping the MCU mold to increasing success. They will finally find a generic formula to shit movies like Disney (probably using WW as base). It will have moderate success at first and will keep building momentum and success. Stops being Kino or interesting at JL. The rest will be prebaked mediocrity for the rest of its days.

MCU will continue dominating and being the MCU.

>MCU will continue dominating and being the MCU.
Even after RDJ exits it? He won't be likely to return after Infinity War.

Hemsworth and Evans are also in doubt.

>If you are not the movie with most revenue of the month your movie is a failure and the director will disappear forever
blockbusters were a mistake

I like Tom but I won't ever go see the Mummy. Nothing about it looks good. I laugh every time I see the trailer. It's cringe worthy.

m.ign.com/articles/2016/12/06/the-future-of-the-transformers-cinematic-universe

Also by your standards, the G.I Joe crossover will make it a CU.

>Here, another 50m
>doubts dispelled

Even then, people goes for the MCU experience. Not for the actors or characters anymore. See the success of GoTG. As long as its punching, quipping, punching, quipping and the movie winks to the audience each 5 minutes they will be fine.

The marvel formula, while makes for terrible movies, its a perfect product business wise. Its pure blockbusterhium distilled. Its the perfect money making machine.

Monsterverse will do well, you won't get billion dollar blockbusters or anything but they will make a good amount of money and will be well recieved

The Fox movies will also do well, but the quality of the movies flip and flop so you never know

The DCEU's success will be based on Justice League. Regardless of quality, Justice League will break a billion, but it need to be good. They are garnered a lot of renewed confidence amoungst the public with WW, but Justice League has to be at least mediocre and fun. And after that, the DCEU should be in a fine place making blockbusters. Aquaman looks good and after JL, they will fire Snyder so that good.

MCU will continue to be what it is.

Duly noted

YOU CANT STOP HER

Earlier today Universal also announced that they're adding the Hunchback of Notre Dame and the Phantom of the Opera to the Dark Universe. I kinda wish they would just focus on one movie at a time instead of making a clusterfuck out of future promises.

The good news is, at the very least, we'll get great 4K restorations of the originals.

Also, Dark Universe will be a spectacular failure and will be abandoned after 2 movies.

It's been a pissing contest since the 1980's. The Weekend Box Office is practically a professional sport at this point.

Apocalypse wasnt even thaaat bad. Its just an average MCU movie without the free pass the MCU gets (see im2,3,ca1,thor1,2,avengers2,etc).

The last really bad X-men movie was what, Wolverine origins? That was literally 10 movies ago. Just give them a fucking break.

Ok the Phantom of the Opera can do some ninja Batman shit but what can the Hunchback of Notre Dame do? Climb things? How is he going to compete with Dracula and the Mummy?

RETARD STRENGTH!!!

>Earlier today Universal also announced that they're adding the Hunchback of Notre Dame and the Phantom of the Opera to the Dark Universe.
But...why?

What special powers does the Hunchback have to fight Dracula?

Will The Phantom sing the Wolfman to death?

Why won't they just remake Monster Squad and scrap this stupid shared universe nonsense?

They'll probably turn him into a mini-Hulk or something similar.

>the director will disappear forever
Zack Snyder would like to prove you wrong.

I loved Apoc by how cheesy and "comic-like" it was, they even used some 90s cartoon lines, if Apoc designs were better, it would be the perfect XM movie.

I AM DA WEREWOLF

I would have watched a reboot reimagining of the fraiser movies

werewolf... fights... vampires

youtu.be/KUzUK-ZM3P8

>Will The Phantom sing the Wolfman to death?
If not mistaken the Phantom has some kind of mind control powers.

The director said it's not like they're building to an Avengers team up. More that they want a huge stable of characters to draw on. Like including Jekyll in the Mummy. Doing it when it feels right

The Mummy looks OK at best but I'll probably see it anyways because of my crush on Sofia Boutella.

I enjoyed it too, but if I said Apocalypse was good people would think I was trying to bait them. Lets agree its not thaaat bad.

Frankly most x-men movies are more hit than miss.

Yeah, he was good. Sadly the movie wasn't. Though it gets one extra star because of Anthony Hopkins giving one of his laziest performances ever. And that's saying a lot.

Just bought tickets for Spider-Man. It's gonna be epic!

I even enjoy The Last Stand. Wolverine Origins and The Wolverine are the ones that really put me to sleep.

>no pants

shes wearing leggings, senpai

>Unless Star Wars is this year too?

Star Wars: The Force Sloth Awakens is out in December.

>more like Buttella

Wolverine Origins is the worst of the bunch but at least the unfinished version is funny.

The last stand had some serious balls for killing everyone. No one would dare to do that in one of these new universes. They decided to burn everything because they felt a franchise couldnt go forever. It took some serious retcons and timetravel to undo the crazy stuff done in X3.

So we'll never get the teamup movie where they fight Van Helsing?

that masculine jawline is incredible

shes going to be a huge star

This. The Mummy Returns also isn't remembered very well, and I think most people here seriously overestimate nostalgia for the first movie in the series. It's not a series people talk about much, or seem to care about besides as a funny Indiana Jones-ish movie most people have seen at some point.

And sticking close to the Fraser "original" is a stupid idea anyway, since it was a remake. It made the most sense to go with a different idea, but something more like the actual original, and not a generic action movie with the protagonist also getting mummy powers.

>masculine jawline

plz take ur reddit meme and leave

it wasnt an insult, we like traps around here

also its been proven that men are better actors, they use to portray women in shakespearian days

so it stands to reason, the more masculine the actress, the better she is

btw, the everyone is from reddit but (You) meme was outplayed like 4 years ago

Is this the beginning of the Retard Cinematic Universe (RCU)?

>Down Syndrome Werewolf
>Transgender Wheelchair Warrior
>Cranium Boy
>NigGoth
>Drunk Aunt
>Synthesizer Voice Man

>Moar liek Tom 'JUST' Cruise: The Curse of Brendan...

You will never explore tombs and pyramids with her
It hurts

Be quiet please

Tom Cruise's films don't fail.

>first title in the studio's planned stable of films

Yeah, ignoring the 2-3 that failed so they scrapped.

It lacked the B-film charm the previous two had, and that only made the cgi ( that to be fair was always shit ) just look shittier, especially when you have hundreds of clay soldiers on screen. Also the kid, now older, was for some reason the main character while having no personality and being played by the douchiest looking dude in existence that bare no resemblance to the parents.

Egypt > China.

And the biggest offender of all.

The embargo for the Mummy lifts tomorrow.

They fail all the fucking time, even when they are good like Edge of Tomorrow.