Okay Sup Forums, remind me why people don't like Aquaman? Because while he is a pale imitation of Namor...

Okay Sup Forums, remind me why people don't like Aquaman? Because while he is a pale imitation of Namor, in the first handful of serials in Adventure Comics #215-#219, he's proved without a shadow of a doubt that he's warm and friendly servant of the people
>prevented an underwater invasion by aliens
>saved hundreds even when others were under the impression that he had taken a dose of a drug that caused insanity
>tried to cheer up a gaggle of impressionable youths who had been promised a carnival by making do with all the undersea critters at his disposal

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yE8C1WWixgc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because he dresses like a goldfish

>Because while he is a pale imitation of Namor
Marvel stole from DC though, like they always do

His looks are childish, his powers are underwhelming, his backstory is generic, the sea is boring and also memes.

He's a manager of Seaworld on steroids with the fashion sense of a 1970s male prostitute.

Namor was created in the 30's by Bill Everett while he worked at Timely-Atlas (Marvel's original name). Namor is even credited as the world's first anti-hero

Out of every superhero he has the most hilarious fucking origin.

Hes the long lost king of atlantis, who was raised by a crazy coast captain that forced him to fight fish to unlock his powers, forced him every day until the kid willed himself into breathing underwater oUT of fear, and when the old guy finally croaks and Arthur can live his own life, it turns out his crazy old man was fucking right.

That's some venture Bros shit right there.

Are you fucking retarded?

You for real?

the filmation cartoons made him look like a total loser

Because I am tired of people asking "Why don't people like Aquaman?". Fucking whiners, I swear.
That's why I use any chance I have to spread false information about him and make him look even more lame.

He's just so lukewarm. He doesn't really do anything to stand out, and he's not really that archetypal. He's just there, with his super (swimming) speed, super strength, super durability and talking to animals.
Nothing really inspiring.

>DCshitposters

>ackchyually: the comic book

I've never liked this idea of making it canon that civilians make fun of Aquaman and don't take him as seriously as other heroes.

I hate how fucking tryhard all his recent stuff has been (and by recent I mean the last 30 years)

Give me some Nick Cardy mercenary work over writer after writer trying to prove to a dwindling audience of comic fans why he's "totally badass" and doesn't talk to fish

It's incredibly fucking stupid and to have that featured as the first fucking issue of his new series was one of the most boneheaded things DC has ever done

This times ten. I hate writers trying to convince the audience that Aquaman is "badass". It feels like they have something to prove.

> he's proved without a shadow of a doubt that he's warm and friendly servant of the people
Ever think that's the reason why people don't like him and considered him lame?
Make him rape a dophin or something edgy brooding shit and maybe people will go WOW.

That's some true autism

I think bat flying threw your window and taking it as a sign from your dead parents to dress up as one and beat people up is better

It was fine in the first few issues of the New52 and worked well in the context of the story. Still doing these jokes now is just plain stupid.

He dies if he stays out of water for more than 24 hours.

It's also something they're strangely committed to. Onlookers dissed Aquaman in the first issue of his New 52 series as well.

I remember reading an online a comic (probably gone now) where he defeats Green Lantern and cheats his out-of-water time limit by pissing on GL

People don't care about the sea. That's why they don't care about Aqauman to begin with. It's even harder to draw properly than a generic city, so artists don't like the challenge, and most writers don't have the full imagination to make use of it. He's a joke to casuals because of Superfriends, and every attempt since then to beef him up and make him cool has failed to catch on because it's trying too hard to make up for flaws the regular version doesn't have. He fellout of public view outside of that, and here he is now. If you approach him in the position of having to convince people Aquaman is cool to begin with you've already lost.

That's why BatB Aquaman was so fucking great, he was his own thing that completely broke with every other version of the character, while still having all the basic traits that make him good to begin with. Every other "cool" version of him just makes him underwater Conan, which is fine but tends to fall into the apologist trap of trying too hard to make up for Superfriends.

He needs to borrow Justice league vehicles to even get around

It was stupid even then. Came off as standoffish and insecure.

Its pretty much on par with the "take that!" grrl power shit that infests female-centric comics

He has some great stories, but the issue is that you need to sell the high concept first.

Superman
>the first superhero, last son of a doomed planet, fights for truth, justice, American way, giant combo meal of powers, goes on space travel, lives double life as mild-mannered Clark Kent

Batman
>most famous of the non-powered heroes and of superpowered antiheroes, wealthy billionaire becoming vengeful crusader of the night with a shitton of wacky gadgetry

Wonder Woman
>most famous superheroine, hails from a Greco-Roman island of magical bondage lesbians, Superman-stock powerset plus magic lasso and other divine implements

Spider-Man
>awkward, surly teenager gets powers, tries to use them for selfish gain, then tragedy strikes and he devotes himself to heroic pursuits, spider powers

What do you think is the average person going to think about if you ask them about Aquaman?

Ocean powers, talks to sealife? Look at that first volume of Nu52 Aquaman, just page after page of him trying to escape this goofy perception of overly narrow abilities and limited utility in a world he shares with Superman and Batman yet is still expected to fight in the heavyweight leagues alongside them.

On top of that, he's basically had a decades-long PR campaign in his most mainstream appearances with his DCAU appearance getting some good hits on Superman and his live action version being a scary ocean barbarian played by Jason Momoa.

In sort of a bizarre way, he's become more Namor-like in that the most palatable way to use him is as part of an ensemble where more popular or less "pop-culture radioactive" characters can hold their own.

It's important to note people don't like Namor all that much either. He just has an easier personality to write (total cunt) so he doesn't come across as bland like Aquaman can, and he doesn't have forty years of Superfriends jokes weighing him down like an anchor.

Ignorant stupid casuals with idiotic bias,who never even read a comic or watching the JL cartoons with Aquaman.

>People still thinking in Superfriends term baka

It's not due to Namor. Namor's only really been popular in the comics. Aquaman isn't neglected by the comic community so much as the wider public.

Aquaman in the Super Friends was just "the dude who talks to fish".

Super Friends ran for 13 years and pretty much set the flavour for the character in the public eye. You can see this in things like Family Guy.

TL;DR
Nothing to do with Namor, it has to do with Super Friends.

>Came off as standoffish and insecure.
not at all.

It really played into the stereotype that comic fans desire legitimacy over their hobby instead of just enjoying something for what it is

HA HA !THITS THREAD NEEDS MORE HEROISM!!

youtube.com/watch?v=yE8C1WWixgc

BatB Aquaman is GOAT

>tryhard authors
Thirding this. I only really liked how he was depicted in Kingdom Come, where he tells everyone on the surface to fuck off because he's too busy protecting the entire goddamn ocean by himself. I'd rather his comics just be dealing with underwater politics and the occasional elditch abomination from the deep.

Aquaman
>most famous aquatic hero

Aquaman and Hawkman generally get the short end of the stick, thanks to being compared to Superman/Wonder Woman/etc. but clearly not being strong enough to really be relevant. Hell, even Martian Manhunter could beat him down if he wanted to.

On the other hand, he's stronger than any human hero, can take an extreme beating, can swim anywhere and can stay underwater indefinitely. Stick him next to Spiderman and he looks fairly decent, if the swimming bit is basically never used. (Hawkman is certainly better in this regard.) But he is part of the Justice League, and so gets compared to Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, and the Flash.

I mean, I suppose Green Arrow sort of is in a similar situation, but the faux-Robin Hood and fancy arrows at least make him interesting. Not that anyone goes out of their way to read a Green Arrow comic.