You have to choose one cape story/comic arc to adapt as a movie that would legitimately be considered fine cinema in...

You have to choose one cape story/comic arc to adapt as a movie that would legitimately be considered fine cinema in the likes of 8½ or 2001: A Space Odyssey, just beyond The Dark Knight or Sin City, what would you choose?

Batman: Odyssey

>cape
>Sin City

The Dark Knight was shit though.

They already tried things like Watchmen and V for Vendetta and failed.

>Capeshit

>Legitimately good movies instead of just fun movies at best

Pick one and only one

ask Sup Forums, they like movies, I think

>/comic arc

What is reading comprehension?

>Legitimately good
>fun
I don't see the need for the distinction. Are serious dramas the only things allowed to be good?

How about an adaptation of man of steel and birthright and...

I WANT A SUPERMAN MOVIE THAT IS MORE CONCERNED WITH THE MAN THAN THE SUPER.

DAMMIT.

But of course the red and blue tights have to show up eventually.

Prolly Miracleman.

Silver Surfer Devolution.
How loyal do you have to stay to the source material? Because the movie would probably need to include Surfer's origin which is jot in the book, and it would have to have the Fantastic four making an appearance.

I think it could be done with Miracleman. Moore's first arc

Because cape characters tend to be as deep as a water puddle and their plots and motivations are all predictable

Not saying they're shit but when done right they just result I'm movies that are entertaining to watch but are not "deep"(yes yes 9deep5u),groundbreaking or complex at all. Simple fun, which is fine on their own way, but can never come close close to something like Space Odyssey.

Grant Morrison's run on Animal man...
Including something with Animal man and Grant Morrison meeting.

Cosmic Marvel aka Annihilation.

B-but The Coyote Gospel is perfect on comic form, there is no way to translate the panels into a movie.

Shoot it in 3D?

Its not like capeshit is inherently incapable of creating depth and complexity. Hence this thread's hypothetical topic.

I don't know, Animal Man relies completely on the comic form.

Amazons Attack

Let spike Lee turn this Into a film. Holy shit it'd be wild

Make it a tripper apocalypse now

Marvels mite b cool.

Honestly I think it depends mostly on the director rather than the source material

For example, Watchmen is typically considered the best example of capeshit, and Snyder's adaptation followed the source quite strictly (aside from the tentacle monster and Ozy not being a cartoon villain) and wasn't exactly lauded as fine cinema.

I'd say Infinity Gauntlet though. I think that has the most scope for a great director to make their own. It could be a grand space epic and the characters of Thanos and Silver Surfer in that are incredible.

The issue with stories like V for Vendetta, Watchmen and TDKR is that they're too dense to ever work. Films like 12 Angry Men, 2001, the Shining etc are all really simple stories.

I had this thought in the Miracleman thread, but I think most Golden Age cape stories are perfect for "serious" retoolings, especially as dark cinema.