Was this movie disliked because of the

Was this movie disliked because of the
>michael bay meme
or because
>nerds still associate personal fitness with the jocks of their high school days banging cuties while they jerked off to aliens
meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HvMsuONpTLo
youtube.com/watch?v=_APmyjLkC4Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Both. Next time you're on Rotten Tomatoes, look at the reviewers. They're all angry feminists or low test numales.

>supposed to be a film about bodybuilders
>the main character has the body of fucking jason genova
What did they mean by this

I watched the RLM review and it took like 10 seconds for Jay to describe the audience for this movie as "meathead douchebags" as if he was reliving his repressed memories from high school years. I get that there was some "gym humor" like the guy asking THE ROCK about his amino acid intake etc. that you probably don't understand if you're not into that sort of thing but how is that a criticism of the movie unless you're incredibly insecure? People who have an interest in bodybuilding or ""gym culture"" are the first ones to recognize the shallow superficial aspects of it and they don't root for these characters just because they have muscles. It's the classic "that guy.." humor. "That guy who stops mid murder to get a pump" and the meathead douchebag audience is laughing because they're mocking how incredibly shallow he is, not because they also like the pump.

Never at any point did I find the characters likable yet enjoyed the film, has everyone seen so much capeshit that they automatically assume the main character is implied to be a hero or what is it? The whole point of the movie is to show how deluded and narsissistic they were while convincing themselves they were the underdog good guys.

It's supposed to be fun but then midway through it has to deal with the fact that the main characters are cold-blooded murderers and it kills the entire vibe of the movie. The story fits a true-crime TV documentary better than a whimsical comedy.

This movie was so absurd and disrespectful to the families involved it blows my mind that someone like Dwayne Johnson was even involved in such a retarded production.

I liked the movie and even rewatched it a few times.

Movie is pretty damn good, but it is a bit too long, that's my only major criticism of it.

it just looked like a stupid ass premise to me but then again, I haven't actually watched the movie or any movie made in the past ten years

If it wasn't nased off a real crime it would be better but it just kills all the comedy

>I haven't actually watched the movie or any movie made in the past ten years

what are you doing here exactly?

This was my main criticism too. I rarely ever say this, I don't have a problem with 3 hour movies if they're interesting. But I remember getting mentally ready for the climax only to realize there was still more than half way to go. There distinct three completely separate parts to the movie, almost four if you consider the beginning and the torture to be separate (in any other movie these would have been the 1st and 2nd act but they only take up about 30 minutes of the two hour runtime). And there were some scenes which were basically filler and this movie didn't need any more filler with all the actual content it had to tell.

does someone actually give a shit if the movie poster says "true story"? ehat isn't a true story? those haunted house demon posession movies are "based on a true story"

youtube.com/watch?v=HvMsuONpTLo

Watch this and tell me this movie is as smart as you think it is

It's a pretty disturbing movie tbqh. I think that's why it was disliked.

Except this one is actually based on a true story.

Why would literally anyone watch a trailer to any movie ever?

Also I didn't say it's "smart". I thought it was pretty fucking blatantly obvious with its message. Which is why I was so shocked so many people seemed to miss it. Every critic is bitching about the movie making these characters "glamorous" which couldn't be further from the truth. I'm not defending individual penis jokes as some misunderstood comedic talent, I'm defending the central plot and the core of the movie, the message.

shitposting. what are you doing here?

My nigga. Let's do some curls

who gives a shit? how does that affect your movie going experience if it wasn't? would the movie be different if they said it was true but turned out it wasn't? what difference does it make, it's a movie.

Take that back you jealous hater. Lord Vader is literally the GOAT.

Wait, people bashed this movie?
But it is good, main character total fucking bastard, but you do not need to root for him, besides in the end he lost.

It's 2017, Sup Forums. There's literally no reason for you to not be fit.

People apparently do because they disliked it. You can't have a fucking murder story with some dumb retards and expect people to buy into it as a comedy.

>not rooting for marky mark
Really wish you taliban motherfuckers would just go

This. It's like they're trying to establish the main cast as these lovable retards and all of a sudden like halfway through it kind of sinks in that the protagonists are murdering people and dismembering the bodies and that they did it in real life too.

"people" also go see paranormal activity because the trailer says it's based on real events

>There's literally no reason for you to not be fit.
MUH GENETICS

Yeah that's cool and all but time spent at the gym making sure we can see your hip bones is time wasted when you could be folding laundry sucking dick and trying out that new recipe.

It's a genuine dark comedy- can't think of a better one in recent years.

>lovable retards
they kidnap a guy with plans to torture him for money like 15 minutes into the movie

It's a Jew trick. Make the bad guy out to be a cool lovable guy, so what he kidnapped a guy? We planted in your subconscious that this guy was cool and handsome and all the chicks want to fuck him.

>on Sup Forums
>can't spot obvious Jew propaganda

But it's not played with a straight face. The Rock is autistic, Mackie has a small dick, and Wahlberg is an overcompensating manlet. It's all humorous.

But he is kidnapped a jew.

that's what makes the movie funny. are you complaining that the bad guy isn't dr.
evil? they start off showing him as a sort regular dude who's just fed up with his life, wants to make a change, buys into the self-help meme, convinces himself that he deservers better. none of those make him a bad guy. his actions after that make him a bad guy. that's why it's a dark comedy. he keeps justifying his actions with the same stuff he said earlier on and the viewer possibly agreed with back then, but ever increasinly you're disagreeing with his logic as more of his actions are revealed. but his own thought process never changes. that's the joke.

>If it wasn't nased off a real crime
This is funny because I would totally write this after reading an article about a crime gone wrong and sniffing a shitload of cocaine.

not just a jew but a total asshole sexist condescending rich jew who as time goes on turns out is not the bad guy. dark comedy.

Because Bey movies usually suck due to his over the top cheesy style

But this worked perfect with Pain and Gain. Probably his best work. I hope he makes another one like it

>has everyone seen so much capeshit that they automatically assume the main character is implied to be a hero
Yes

it felt like something Tony Scott would have made a decade earlier. It was still entertaining, though.

I'd consider myself more fit then the average person.Love going to the gym and have been for a few years
Bench in mid 300s
deadlift 585
squat 450
Not trying to bost but I'm not a nerd and wasn't teased in highschool. I still think this movie sucked ass so shity. Unreal bad

>I watched the RLM review

Classic mistake

I thought it was gonna be about Rock and Wahlberg working out real hard.
Not some edgy movie about kidnapping some rich guy and torturing him.
Totally not what I was expecting to see.

Weight?

Movie is Bay's masterpiece

Im 6'3 225lbs

Training history? You're a pretty strong dude

Why not? I thought it was funny. And I never felt it was trying to make these people sympathetic, just because it was making fun of them. They were clearly still violent thugs.

>You can't have a fucking murder story with some dumb retards and expect people to buy into it as a comedy.
What the fuck? They literally dress like Ninjas and prove themselves too retarded to be able to see the target getting into his vehicle.

Here just made this the other day trying to motivate a skinny tall dude on /fit

This was around 3 years
140lbs to 230ish full bulk I no I'm pretty chubby there)
Trained for round 3 years
Only got serious with my diet over the last year and a half. That for the most part is when I made the most gains.

That's impressive man. Routine?

A lot man haha I changed it up constantly
But I have only ever done a "bro split"
chest/bis
legs/
back/tris
shoulders
throw an arm day in sometimes

Pain and Gain failed for one reason alone: they fucked up the marketing BIG TIME

The commercials/trailers all basically portrayed it as a comedy heist film about a bunch of dumb meatheads who you could root for.

The actual film has the main characters be a bunch of unlikable (with the exception of the Rock and even he does some bad shit) shits; the worst kind of dumb steroid abusing meat heads who are the villains of the piece and who ruin an innocent (though obnoxious) man's life because they wanted to be rich and have fancy toys ASAP rather than work hard for them/accept that they are purely lower middle class for life.

Fans wanted laugh out loud comedy and being able to cheer Mark Walberg and the Rock without feeling guilty. What they got instead was a film with the main characters being the bad guys, who did really bad things, and rather than go along with the ride and embrace the film and it's commentary (which, given how the film was a passion project for Bay that he spent YEARS trying to get made, to the point that he only did the TF films to get Paramount to finance it, is shockingly deep for a notoriously superficial director like Bay) on modern American life, they all hated it.

It's a great movie IMHO but the marketing basically killed it from ever being truly appreciated a film where Bay proved himself capable of doing Kino films if he wanted to

Lots of deadlifts
bb rows and pull ups

lots of bench with bands and incline db

lots of squats and stiff legged deads

lots of bb military press and famerswalks

Probably my most done movements

>The Rock is autistic, Mackie has a small dick, and Wahlberg is an overcompensating manlet. It's all humorous.
>this level of delusion trying to reduce motives and actions to a reduced set of psychological memes
David Foster Wallace was right. Irony has really fried people's brains.

Actually it's much more complex:

Rock is the pussy who goes along with the crowd, can be peer pressured to do horrible things, yet has the slither of hope presented that he is not entirely 100% irredeemable.

Anthony Mackie is a beta ass follower who is shallow and superficial and doesn't give a shit that his steroid/lifting obsession has left him unable to get a boner/a super small micro-penis.

Walberg's is a bit difficult because technically, since the story takes place in the late 90s, he's not technically a super spoiled, self-absorbed millennial who thinks the world owes him everything he wants as far as pussy, cars, mansions and shit.

But he still fits the sort of spoiled shithead who spent his youth and teen years being spoiled, pampered, and basically worshiped as a golden god because he was good at sports/was big and muscular.

Unfortunately, when he graduated high school, reality kicked in and he found out that his pampered life growing up would not transfer into adulthood. His character ended up becoming a scam artist that could only find work as a fitness trainer.

Basically a cross section of American Men and the problems crippling society and men in general: MW was a shithead who thought the world owed him riches and luxuries. The Rock was a beta pussy who let others tell him what to do. Anthony Mackie was a beta shithead who cared more about his looks than his health and rather than quitting when he found out how badly his roid usage had fucked him up, doubled down and got into even worse shit.

Having The Rock and Rebel Wilson killed this movie.

and Michael Bay is not a good director to make a movie like this entertaining

literally kill yourself

>lovable retards
>lovable
The only one that seemed like he wasn't an absolute monster was the rock, because his character was extremely stupid and seemed to be manipulated by the other two.
wat

Have you read up on what it is based off of? Everyone involved was fucking retarded.

this. it's offensive in even trying to make these scumbag characters likeable considering they play up the "based on a true story" angle

i'm sure it was all whacky and fun hijiinks when they were torturing someone IRL

it is called dark humor

i watch the film 3 times. Not in a roll. It;s a fun movie.

The movie isn't funny and it's not a good enough drama to be compelling. It's just a boring, empty, meaningless, meandering mess. I honestly don't know how much of a film embryo you have to be to think this was any good. sub 500 films watched.

youtube.com/watch?v=_APmyjLkC4Y
The opening is comedy kino. This movie made me like Marky Mark more and it made me finally like that black pussy from the Captain America flicks.

Super fun movie, anyone who dislikes it is a total faggot