Given the recent Twin Peaks craze and me being a fan of Lynch in general I opted to put in Muholland Dr. tonight

Given the recent Twin Peaks craze and me being a fan of Lynch in general I opted to put in Muholland Dr. tonight.

Is there something I'm missing about this work? I'm going to sit through it but it just seems dumb and mediocre.

>Contained within the original DVD release is a card titled "David Lynch's 10 Clues to Unlocking This Thriller". The clues are:

>1. Pay particular attention in the beginning of the film: At least two clues are revealed before the credits.
>2. Notice appearances of the red lampshade.
>3. Can you hear the title of the film that Adam Kesher is auditioning actresses for? Is it mentioned again?
>4. An accident is a terrible event—notice the location of the accident.
>5. Who gives a key, and why?
>6. Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup.
>7. What is felt, realized and gathered at the Club Silencio?
>8. Did talent alone help Camilla?
>9. Note the occurrences surrounding the man behind Winkie's.
>10. Where is Aunt Ruth?

>fan of lynch
>never saw his best film
lel

Never knew about that. It seems super helpful, thanks! I'll restart the movie and give it a second fresh chance with that list.

He never mentioned if he saw the Elephant Man or not though.

I will hunt you down and fucking kill you.

*tips fedora*

I agree, OP, but prepare for a barrage of people that don't. Twin Peaks was by far his peak, and while Mulholland Drive has some good shots, it's too meandering and dull for what it is (an exercise in abstract storytelling and symbology).

Remember, it's not important to understand Lynch, it's important to be seen understanding Lynch.

Neat! Haven't watched it in years but will do so tonight with this nearby

>fan of Lynch in general
>never seen Mulholland Drive
It's literally his most famous and acclaimed film

How sad is it when no one has the attention span to watch a 2 hour movie without stopping it half way to post something about it on the internet

Hey, there was a time when both of you saw this movie for the first time. From the title I always thought it was some weird faggy movie like Eyes Wide Shut.

When it comes to "understanding" Lynch I always thought it was just best to accept whatever Lynch puts in front of you for what it is.

Yeah, you're missing huge amounts.

Let me ask you, did you watch Lost Highway? Did you understand Lost Highway?

>weird faggy movie like Eyes Wide Shut.
your bait is shit and so is your thread
kill yourself, leddit

>no one
Nah, I'm sure most of us sat through it just fine. OP is just a fucking retard.

>stopping it

I have two screens. I'm watching it on one and shitposting on the other.

That's even worse

If you enjoyed any aspect of Eyes Wide Shut you may be a literal gay. It's nothing but a thinly veiled chick flick that Kubrick made when he had already gone senile and people wanted to pump more money out of him.

Mulholland Drive is hard to sit through because it doesn't engage the audience in any meaningful way. Usually a film like this can fall back on the visuals (Enter the Void is a good example), but in MD, the visuals are very flat apart from a few scenes.

>When it comes to "understanding" Lynch I always thought it was just best to accept whatever Lynch puts in front of you for what it is.

His films are mostly made to be impossible to meaningfully parse in a single sitting, so I don't see how you'd come to that conclusion.

Eyes Wide Shut is okay. Definitely one of Kubrick's weaker films, as he himself admitted to R. Lee Ermey over the phone prior to its release, but it's solid.

lurk more my man, ur bait is pleb shit at best

>mfw he doesn't use a second screen to look up details about the actors and production of a film during the slow scenes

Maybe people have different ways of enjoying and interpreting creative works, user. I think looking for symbolism and whatever dumb shit everywhere is just blowing smoke up your own pretentious ass.

>thinly veiled chick flick

Oh, I see now. You're just stupid.

>lynch
>it just seems dumb and mediocre.

shocking

Please tell me this is bait, I can't handle this. Why are people so fucking autistic that they cannot just sit in one place for 2 hours and watch a movie

>He literally can't give his undivided attention to a movie for a few hours
>He thinks his low-IQ ADHD opinion on film is of equal value as the opinion of a normal person with a functioning brain

>thinly veiled chick flick

2/10, see me after class

You're just retarded, stick to the capeshit and keep thinking anything deeper than Logan is a faggy chick flick

This post is so dumb that I need to parse out your points a bit.

>Maybe people have different ways of enjoying and interpreting creative works

Mulholland Drive doesn't really have anything going for it unless you want to analyze the meaning. Definitely not much to write home about visually, apart from a few scenes.

>I think looking for symbolism and whatever dumb shit everywhere is just blowing smoke up your own pretentious ass

What's the point of these kinds of movies if you're not going to look for symbolism? Mulholland Drive is really flat, despite the bizarre dialogue. I don't see how someone could get much out of it other than

A) Appearing to be well-versed in film

or

B) Giving it an intense cinematic analysis

>mfw this thread has turned into autists getting asshurt because they know deep down they enjoy chick flicks if they can find an excuse to watch them

Goddamn, anons. It's okay to be gay these days. You guys don't need to repress it this hard.

>as he himself admitted to R. Lee Ermey over the phone prior to its release
Source: R. Lee Ermey, and he is unreliable at best

I'll believe a Marine senior NCO on most things.

>Maybe people have different ways of enjoying and interpreting creative works, user. I think looking for symbolism and whatever dumb shit everywhere is just blowing smoke up your own pretentious ass
"I didn't get it so it means whatever I want it to. I know more than the director!"

idiot

this he's a bandwagon faggot getting lynched by good cinema
> I'm going to sit through it but it just seems dumb and mediocre.

i actually feel my blood boiling right now. i want to KILL this stupid phillistine lifestylist fake cinema lover faggot. i want to KILL him NOW

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ALL FUCKING PLEBIANS MUST FUCKING HANG

I can't tell if this post is ironic or if the waves of new users in recent years has really brought people this dumb to Sup Forums

>Appeal to Authority
nice fallacy, bro

Whole movie and its reason for its acclaim summed up in one line:
>Dude lesbians LMAO
The film is trash.

I've been on Sup Forums since 2009 and been in the military since 2014. I've known a lot of senior NCO's, and some of them will fib to save their asses, but I don't see R. Lee Ermey constructing this entire elaborate story just for attention.

That's not what appeal to authority means you dumb fucking reddit nigger

By "fan of Lynch" do you mean you watched Twin Peaks for the first time last year? Because that's what your post sounds like.

There isn't even any lesbian stuff until over halfway through the movie.

After enduring this thread where a gaggle of film nerds think that they are somehow "better at enjoying movies" or whatever dumb flowery shit I'm just going to turn this off and read a synopsis or some shit.

>mfw a dozen people tell me I'm stupid but not a single person can tell me why this movie is good or what makes it worth sitting through

Are you also a fan of Kubrick on your way to watch 2001 for the first time?

Nice argument from fallacy, bro.. I mean you used it wrong, but can you even argue?

I've been sitting here and explaining that I also see his work as pretentious for the most part, but it seems like your IQ is too low to comprehend that we agree.

It's still the only reason people pay attention to it.

I didn't mean you, user. I mean everyone else who replied.

Anyways, this movie is off. Maybe I'll try again in a few years but it just seems boring and trying to be ever so mildly absurd for absurdness's sake, but not in the entertaining way Lynch pulls off in a lot of his other material.

I didn't even know it had any lesbian stuff before watching it for the first time. I wanted to watch it because I was getting into the surreal and dreamlike stuff that it's about.

If it could be explained in words it wouldn't need to be filmed.

It's art anyways, it's subjective, often abstract, you need to put your faith in something, give it some time and see whether you like it or not. It is not a video game, there is no guide to enjoying it, it is not an exam, there is no right answer to have, it's a movie!!! just fucking watch it.

Is this a shitpost or are you actually mad? I can't even tell anymore

What other Lynch stuff have you even watched? You saying you're a big fan of Lynch and not only not having seen Mulholland Drive, but not even knowing what you're going to be in for (as MD isn't all that different in a lot of aspects from Lynch's other movies) sounds like you're lying.

Weak thread, fagtron. Go back to Sup Forumseddit and keep telling Mario sucks or some shit

i'm actually really fucking mad, yes it's a shitpost you are not worth an intelligent post

OP here. That wasn't me.

>mfw people think they're smarter than you but then proceed to fail to tell two different anons apart

I guess I was right to think this was a mediocre film at best. You guys are just trying to convince yourselves you're sophisticated since you have nothing else in life.

/thread over

Enjoy continuing to convince yourselves everything Lynch made is great and deep.

and he has shown his hand! he was a plebian all along looking to confirm his biases that lynch is pretentious because he does not understand him! but look diogenes! classical art! pleb-proofing!

>anime
the final nail in the coffin. back to Sup Forums or /r9k/ or reddit or whatever scumhole you crawled out from. it's going to bring me so much pleasure to think about you as i go to sleep tonight, the fact that you will NEVER understand the beauty of mulholland drive, or maybe any piece of transcendent art, and that, above all, you will one day do this world a favor and die.

you sound extremely insecure desu senpai

Dude I don't know about you but I rarely ever think about the people I talk to on here unless it's a really fun comfy time like when we stream Goosebumps or something.

>tfw people call you a pretentious hipster for saying Inland Empire is his best movie

It's just so fucking good, lads.

I love Inland Empire too and there is an argument to be made for it being his best, but I also easily understand why people hate it

I mean it's a pretty straightforward movie on its own but if you just think of it as being set in the same universe as Twin Peaks (as at one point it was) it becomes way more simple, and maybe even more enjoyable.

This is also my opinion. It's by far his best movie. Even without trying to figure out what the whole plot is the scenes themselves are great and it's the closest of Lynch's works to portraying an actual dream. It's just really enjoyable for me to watch.

Jesus I haven't seen it yet and I could barely get through that webm I was so scared. Why does David Lynch freak me out so much? Am I a pleb? Mulholland Drive was so damn scary and unsettling

I don't think anything in Inland Empire is scarier than the Winkies scene in Mulholland Drive but the entire movie feels more unsettling than most of Mulholland Drive and there are a few jump scares that still catch me even though I've seen Inland Empire a lot.

If it feels even more like a dream than MD I'm sold. There's just something so.... otherworldly about dreams. He has such a talent for making his films feel like you're in one of those dreams that lasts years or decades, and then you wake up and just contemplate existence for an hour before getting out of bed. It really sticks with you

It does feel more like a dream than pretty much anything else. But with that comes the incomprehensible nature of dreams. At least towards the beginning of its filming, there was no plan for the movie. Lynch just got his hands on a digital camera and was shooting stuff that he came up with on that day. It eventually did get somewhat of a structure but there are interpretations that differ so much between each other just because of how abstract the movie is. Not everyone even agrees which storylines are real and which are fantasy. I highly suggest watching it if you want that kind of stuff though.

Aww yeh now I'm hyped. I'll pick it for movie week this Friday with my wife, she loved Mulholland Drive too