Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #1949

This is a Japanese language learning thread designed by and for those interested in traditional otaku media such as anime, manga, light novels, Japanese video games, etc.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous thread New Year soon, user, do you resolve to end your dekinai-state?

>do you resolve to end your dekinai-state?
foremost my NEET-state, but yea, that too

"these loungers are great for fuckin'!"

hi /djt/
Tomorrow I will be done with my 6k Anki Japanese deck, and have reviewed diligently for the past year. In addition to this, I have also gone through Tae Kim's grammar guide.
What should I do next to improve my Japanese skill? Will the 10k Anki deck do the trick?

>Will the 10k Anki deck do the trick?
don't waste your time with this, reading and mining words is more important

I just need to improve my vocabulary, and hopefully do well on the JLPT desu.

100.00% 99.66% 98.87%
I don't get these numbers. Are you just pressing the space key the whole time or are you some N1 guy wasting your time on easy stuff like the 6k deck?

You are beyond help. Have fun not learning Japanese.

Ajeet cannot understand the concept of grading yourself honestly. Maybe he can pay someone to sit the JLPT for him.

I honestly have no idea why it's showing these stats. I am N3 at best and have avearge memory. Consequently, I end up marking the words with 'Hard' much more often than 'Good'.

You walk into your room and see this...

What do?

You are supposed to press 'again' when you don't correctly remember the reading and meaning. Not doing so defeats the purpose of Anki. I recommend starting over completely while following the guide (especially the parts about reading native content) if you are interested in actually learning Japanese or even acquiring a decent JLPT certificate.

I see. I mark the new words with 'Good' as I can review them within 10 mins. If that method is rather ineffective, I'll start over with the 10k deck, hopefully with better results.
Thank you user.

I would just start mining. That way you don't waste your time redoing whatever words you managed to learn in your previous attempt, and it forces you to read (which is absolutely necessary, both for learning Japanese or passing JLPT).

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is 'mining'?

>put benis in bagina
>『失礼します』

adding new words to your anki deck that you pick up from reading actual content

I started with the 10k deck right off the bat. Is the 6k/2k decks different or does it not matter with which I started? I assumed the 10k was just a combination of both.

Also why the FUCK IS THE CAPTCHA STILL BROKEN

Ah I see. That makes sense.
Thanks.

go in the settings and pick legacy captchas, does work fine
doesn't work with creating threads though, I think hiroshimoot just wants to sell Sup Forums passes

totally forgot, I think the 2k/6k words are included in the 10k version
anyway, 10k includes many words you don't exactly "need" for quite a while, but if you want to become somewhat fluent you'll have to learn them eventually... so, do what you want basically

Hey guys, what does this mean? 「両手に持ちきれないほどの星屑」?
The problem I have with it is the verb 持ちきる if that is even it. Jisho gives me this really weird definition of "to hold all the while, to talk nothing but". Funny thing is, on a lyrics site where it's supposed to be translated, it says "I can't hold all of my stardust pieces with my hands" which throws me in the dark even more.

I'm on chapter 7 of Genki 1 and I find myself skipping a lot of the pratice work (not talking about the workbook, but rather the "pair work" and stuff like that on the textbook). Maybe I'm wrong,but most of it seems like a big sink of time with too little payoff. Will this hurt me in the long run?

>tfw no study partner to do group work with

Same.I try to create scenarios in my head or talk to myself but I don't have the vocabulary nor patience to do that.

Get the Anki deck for Genki, start doing it, read through all of Genki explanations (grammar, cultural notes, etc).

Complete Anki deck, only use textbook as a reference for explanations you read

All this practice work is off little value - just read a lot, novels preferably, manga only if it is dense with text or VNs if you can stomach them - with language learning quantity>quality.

It has been my experience that it is good to read through (almost skim) a grammar book like Tae Kim or article parts of Genki ("Japanese the Manga Way" also have been good to me), but it might be a waste of time to Actively Work Hard to memorize all that is in them.
Working with them, memorizing them is a lot like trying to Learn answers before knowing what the questions are.

It was enough to me, for example, to just learn that Causative Verbs are a thing that exists in that language and get a rough understanding of what it means, I didn't memorize how exactly you conjugate a verb to make causative or any other peculiarities, but when later I encountered 取らせます in book I was able to tell: "this must be one of those conjugations happening", Yomichan helpfully indicated which one was it and after encountering those and others a few times I recognize the meaning without yomichan's help.

I had (and still have to) refer to DoJG sometimes, but now I'm looking for answers to my actual questions, not just learning the rules without background

Just had a thought that this is similar to board games and card games.
Reading rules before playing something like Condottiere or even Catan makes them seem like a confusing mess, but when you actually start playing and go back to the rule book a couple of times during the first actual game - it all falls into place.

切る used as an auxiliary verb means to do something completely. So if you can't 持ち切る something, it just means you aren't able to hold whatever it is you're holding, presumably because it's too much or something like that.

So the translation interpreted the verb and all that correctly, but obviously the Japanese sentence isn't even complete, while the English one is, so some liberties were taken there. A more direct translation would be something like "so much stardust that it cannot be held with both hands".

Gosh, I'm a dunce. I don't exactly see the difference between holding something completely and just holding something, but at least some light was shed over this sentence. Now I can sleep in peace.

Thank you, user, for your help!

I agree with the Russian. I wasn't retaining much of grammar when it wasn't used quite often in VNs and such and having a dedicated Anki deck for grammar did jack shit. I guess the best way to learn grammar is quite different from vocab and more similar to listening.

To answer the Brazilian , it might not hurt you on the long run but it really is significantly faster to just gun it with Genki and skip most of the exercises. After finishing Genki II, it would be enough to get a foothold in reading native material and just study grammar on a need-to-know basis.

This guy doesn't hold his apples completely
(and they look like lime to me)

I mean, that's true. If that is what 切る as an auxiliary verb entails, well...interesting.

アリサたちの行く手を阻むのは...
I read guide, but i cant understand, what does のは mean in this sentence? Anyone can translate this?

>The way of Alice and those with her was blocked.
のは unites all that is before it into a single idea
It is usually is followed by a conclusion or an explanation, here the follow up is unsaid, maybe it was supposed to be followed by "so they had to stop" which is omitted because it is obvious

>here the follow up is unsaid, maybe it was supposed to be followed by "so they had to stop" which is omitted because it is obvious
Hmm, this can be name, right? Thank, bro.

i'm a master

何?!

How do I change the Yomichan hotkeys? I don't see it in the settings, but whenever I type Alt+0 it redirects me to "Yomichan search."

wtf the difficulty jumped to insanoman

>do you resolve to end your dekinai-state?
Yes! Two years of ankidroning and little consumption, this year will be grammar and mango up my ass 24/7.
I expect to finish studying grammar by the end of the first semester and to be proficient by the end of the year.

Hoooooly shit, you did all of 6k for nothing?
Well, at least you can probably do more than 20 new cards a day now that you already know a lot of them, while keeping a decent retention level.
Just be sure to press again every time you get a card wrong, and also make sure your deck options don't limit your daily reviews to 100, set it to 99999999.

>have the strict habit of writing new words down
>these words appear in really short intervals
>魑魅魍魎
>膾炙
>固有運動
being autistic is suffering

Does someone know the kanji in this picture?
It looks like 玩遊又戈 but it's supposed to sound a little like "what you see"

I don't know a lick of Chinese, but I'm going to guess it's 玩 and 遊戯, but simplified.

玩游戏 - to play games
He's asking "do you like to play games?" in Chinese.

玲瓏と切磋琢磨した瑠璃で出来ている綺麗な薔薇で駆逐艦の披露目を豪奢に修飾しましょう!

jokes on you, I'm pretty sure I've written these down once
couldn't read shit though

Much obliged.

congratulations, you can now claim your cute japanese wife

辞めたい
自殺したい

EP

>おしい
Not really sure what she means by this

>almost but not quite
Probably that one. I think Kanagawa is like right below Tokyo or something

Ah yes, I must have looked over it.

>Kanagawa
They're talking about Yokohama thou

What memes are huge in japan right now?

Right, but both Tokyo and Kanagawa are prefectures, Yokohama is just a city.
>東京のことでしょ
She thought it was a part of Tokyo but it's actually the capital of Kanagawa which is close to Tokyo, hence the おしい

Your looking at em.

What is best imageboard to hangout with real life nihonejeans?

nah

Bump

スレは今夜中もつかな

What are your thoughts on LingoDeer? Looks like it combines Tae Kim with Duolingo to actually teach you shit before getting to the game part. Looks like it was made with other asian languages in mind as well.

I have no idea what もつかな means and I have no way to find out

I have no idea what もつかな means and I have no way to find out

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT モイツカナMEANS AND I HAVE NO WAY TO FIND OUT

OHNONOHONONONHONONONOOHNONOHONONONHONONONOOHNONOHONONONHONONONOAHAJAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAHAHAJAHAJHAHAHAHAHAJAHAJAHHAHAHHAAH

自殺

ツンドラ

what are your plans for tomorrow? no matter what you do, don't forget your reps though

I'll be at a friends house and we'll eat raclette, so basically the epitome of normieness

Working. Piece of shit.

しょれをしちゃダメなにょ

what do you do for work?

You would be surprised.

I am a manager at an alcohol shop.

Almost all imageboards ban users outside Japan. They say it's to avoid spam, but really it's because Japanese people can't handle any banter whatsoever.

You could try the Japanese thread here, but then you have to put up with the spammer, and the thread is usually just a bunch of namefags orbiting a bunch of attention whores.

Warning: If you do go to the thread here, you will immediately by asked if you are someone they call 佳奈美. The jap posters here don't seem to understand that there can be more than one person with a particular national flag.

well, I'm a neet and starting to feel like a worthless piece of shit, so there's that

がんばれ!(がんばれ!) がんばれ!(がんばれ!) やっちゃえ! やっちゃえ! できる!
がんばれ!(がんばれ!) がんばれ!(がんばれ!) やっちゃえ! やっちゃえ! いくよ~

Start drinking as soon as I wake up, watch the 笑ってはいけない NYE special, then shitpost on Sup Forums until I fall asleep.

>tfw did my reps from 4 to 5 in the morning because I couldn't sleep
>can't do them for the entire day now

Play a shitty mobage while watching anime, eat with the family, do some fireworks and then go back to watching anime

>お兄ちゃんさんは一人で大丈夫でしょうか……
>あー、それならヘーキでしょ、あの人なんだかんだ言って腕は確かだし無駄にしぶといから。まあお兄ちゃんは強いからねーです。でも逆にあれで弱かったら単に残念な人よねー
>えーーっ?なんでですか!?

Can someone help me with the last sentence in the second line? I can't make sense of it.

>でも逆にあれで弱かったら単に残念な人よねー
I think what they're trying to say is that if it weren't for his strength then all he'd be is a 残念な人. Not though sure because it's the first time I've seen あれで

New favourite word: 瓤嚢

How the fuck do I learn kanji? I've tried every method in the guide and none of them work. The new cards I've done the past week have quite literally 0% retention. I don't fucking understand. I have no issue whatsoever remembering the pronunciation of a word, e.g. kawa is river, I just have trouble remembering the actual kanji.

write it out, study radicals etc

>try to figure out how to convey the meaning of a certain English phrase in Japanese instead of English
>when i google it, it's a clusterfuck and i can't tell to what degree context matters or what's going on
>either that or i find something unrelated

I said none of the methods from the guide have worked

then ur doing something wrong

Unironically git gud.

You need a way to remember it. You just need to remember it. Sorry I know its not the best advice but its the only advice suck it up.

then you're simply too stupid to learn

Why are Sup Forums mods fags? People predicted these threads would eventually die and exactly that is happening. Chat room shit or no the threads would still be more active.

"Well, you're strong so you'll be fine. However, in that respect, if you were weak you'd just be a simple bum."
That's my understanding of it.

Not enough data. If you've had the time to try every single method out there, you should have the time to lay down a brief history of what you did, how you did and how it went.
If you can compare it with other areas of learning you're good at (math, music etc.), assure your assiduity and maybe post a little reflection on what was the least terrible method to you, we can try to piece some solution together for your dekinai ass.

>why are mods fags?
Why is nighttime dark?

Mods (Kino) personally didn't like DJT and had to make an excuse to jot it out, so he sugarcoated it as "no more general, guys ;))", but put zero effort into preventing the toys and drawfag generals, which are as anime-related as DJT (which used to be a lot more anime-related when it was hosted on Sup Forums).

Guess he got irreversibly raped by the Anki train or something.
But don't worry - even if the real DJT goes down, you can still flock to /jp/ to enjoy a few more years of life support until it eventually becomes a seasonal thread.

>do you resolve to end your dekinai-state
Trying, been reading for a year now and I'm still having trouble with some of the grammar. This is the hardest part of the language for me everything else was easy
Gonna keep at it though

>1 year since starting
>halfway through core6k
>finished KKLC (writing/meanings of 2300 kanji)
>about 20% through tobira after doing genki 1/2 (went through tae kim before all of this but it's too brief and easy to forget)
Is this pace too slow? Tobira is supposedly N3 and I'd expect to finish it in a few months so maybe I'll be N3 in a little less than 1.5 years.

3k should take you 150 days, KKLC 115.
So you have a net loss of 100 days in your Anki business.

But it's not a race, and you're learning grammar too. If you can reach N3 in 1.5 years, you can probably focus a bit more on grammar and content consumption. You'd get to N1 under the 3 years mark.
Then probably another year to put your production in practice.

Learning a language is like running up a sand dune that keeps collapsing, part of your effort goes into staying at the *same* level. That's why some people can study a language for months and still not get farther ahead. It's not a linear process.

I want to start to use Anki, preferably the deck that would be compatible with Kanji Grid so I could follow the progress of it.
I am confused by the amount of decks there are and what is the difference between them.

Get Core10k from the DJT guide and just go as far as you'd like (2k, 6k or 10k).

Any deck is compatible with Kanji Grid as long as you set it up correctly.

If I wanted to say "I'm a german", I can't do a relative clause because it's not a negative or past thing. But it also seems wrong to say 私の独逸です, so how would I do it correctly?

I hate NYRfags.

The fuck is he saying here. Explain in detail.

>"where?" you ask.. why you little...

I can't speak Japanese so I'm guessing but idk what else it'd be.