Shouldn't Starfleet have like a million ships?

They represent over 150 star systems and control the most of the Alpha Quadrant.

They should far outnumber any rival power with the exception of the Borg.

Other urls found in this thread:

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Starfleet
youtube.com/watch?v=T5QLokGTdyg
youtube.com/watch?v=3uxTpyCdriY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They are an exploratory organization. Not a military one.

then who represents the military organization to protect earth and its ally star systems in the alpha quandrant?

delete this.

>control the most of the Alpha Quadrant.

But they don't.

Star Trek takes place in a very small section of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.
Most maps of the galaxy in Star Trek look something like this.

planets have their regular defense force
basically the Federation is like an EU that isn't shit

This is cool.

Someone should make a good star trek movie, the lore seems fun.

I'm about to start bingeing TOS now, without having seen any star trek before. What am i in for? I'm hoping it's comfy as fuck.

if this is true, then i would rather watch a series about the military branch of star trek wrecking shit or getting wrecked

Wouldn't that be something? A good Star Trek movie? Probably never happen in my life time... :(

That's called stargate

reminder that he did nothing wrong

btw i should be watching in release order, right? not in-universe chronology? (is there a difference?)

This is bullshit, since when is the UFP, the Romulans, and the Klingons in the beta quadrant?

but i specifically want a star trek version
plus, isn't star trek more advance then star gate?

he killed millions

who did he kill?

Starfleet also represents the military you brainlet.

I swear to god you people are being this stupid on purpose.

both not canon

Only 3 Federation members contribute 2% of their GDP to exploration.
#MEGA

In the first few seasons stargate is relatively primitive. Then they skyrocket like crazy.
In Star Trek ships need thousands of years to cross the galaxy
In Stargate they go to he next galaxy in 3 month with slow settings, 3 days if they bring the magic battery.
A 24th century StarTrek ship is no match for a 21th century Stargate ship

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Starfleet

>Starfleet was the deep space exploratory and defense service maintained by the United Federation of Planets. Its principal functions included the advancement of Federation knowledge about the galaxy and its inhabitants, the advancement of Federation science and technology, the defense of the Federation, and the facilitation of Federation diplomacy.

Its role is both exploratory and military. If you think otherwise, you're a tourist poser who's never actually followed Star Trek and should promptly kill yourself immediately.

show me one quote in any of the episodes where they say they are the military section of the federation

don't fall for it

Show me one quote in any of the episodes where they say they are purely exploratory and not military.

This is bait. He drops it in every Trek thread. No one take it.

Why are they always so outgunned?

Just watched beyond and the enterprise gets reckt by a swarm of mining drones.

Youd think with how many horrible, deadly situations they get into theyd create some new weapons.

Also it would be interresting to see them handle situations with aggressive but technologically inferior races, it seems Star Trek captains need to talk their way out of getting destroyed by a stronger foe every second episode.

I've brought this up multiple times when Trekkies bitch about Yorktown being too big or advanced.

The Federation has a population literally in the trillions according to DS9.

150 main member planets with probably tens of thousands of colonies, space stations etc.

Lets say they have a population of 1 trillion.

Starfleet was say, 1% of the population.

That is 1 billion members in starfleet.

Average crew compliment of a starship is like 200?

That should be 5 million ships.

But lets say half of starfleet work in administration, space stations etc.

That should leave atleast two million five hundred thousand ships.

But the battle of Wolf 359 destroyed 40 ships and Starfleet was completely decimated.

40 ships.

That means out of 150 fucking member worlds, pretty much 1 ship services 3 fucking worlds.

Because Star Trek was a TV show and didn't have CGI for the most part, they could never, ever show the Federation at the scale it should have been. Star Trek Beyond and Yorktown I think is the first real showing of how fucking insanely big the Federation actually is.

Good example is the Galaxy Class. Actually supposed to have a crew of 6000, but because of the budget for extras, they had to cut it down to the hundreds (I think it's roughly like 900 or something in TNG).

Same as why every fucking alien city or colony in Trek is like 3 adobe buildings and the city square is a courtyard with 3 cart fabric and fruit peddlers.

Because the Federation Council is filled with SJW aliens who are opposed to increases in military spending and are vehemently against being seen as anything more than freedom loving hippies by the rest of the galaxy.

not all members produce spaceships or have the technology

Half of Kirk's son's dialogue in wrath of khan for starters, you fucking mongoloid.

why would you be a normie for watching the reboot movies if you already watched everything else in the series?

All member worlds of the Federation have to have Warp technology.

It's part of the Prime directive. You cannot contact a world that has not achieved Warp.

the movies don't count, they were made for casuals that didn't know star trek
you would know this if you weren't a retard, sadly you are

except all the time that happens in TOS
try watching the show sometime

Yet Picard does that all the time(at least in the first season, where I am now)

Earth is on the line.

Most of the Federation is in Alpha, but Romulans, Klingons and shit are in the Beta.

TOS is barely canon.

Romulans don't even have Warp technology in TOS. Hell the Federation isn't actually really a thing, the Enterprise is a United Earth ship under the United Earth Space Probe Agency.

This is True. The Hammond alone could take down most advanced Star Fleet ships.

Yeah right, they why didn't it use those fancy Asgardian beam weapons against Lucian Alliance Ha'taks in SGU?

>kirks son

The Empire

but it is still ridiculous that the borg destroyed 40 ships at wolf 359 and starfleet was "decimated" lmao

it's like saying the germans destroyed 40 russian tanks, the russians are decimated

There needs to be a Mirrorverse Star Trek series.

youtube.com/watch?v=T5QLokGTdyg

You don't think the Hammond was retro fitted with Asgard beam technology?

For that sector. They literally have hundreds of ships but they were all over the place.

>starfleet is responsible for the defense of the federation as well as fighting it's wars
>isn't the military

Why do people persist with this meme?

Only downside to sg's earth ships is being heavily outnumbered. Wraith were about the only thing that could really dish out as good as they got through overwhelming firepower and numbers

because they actually watched the show

youtube.com/watch?v=3uxTpyCdriY

The two whole seasons of DS9 where starfleet fought a war?

Because they don't like killing

Starfleet is a civilian defence force, not a military.

If it Hammond did indeed have Asgard beam technology, without breaking a sweat it would have turned those ships into dust with a couple of volleys, seeing how it was powerful enough to destroy an Ori battleship. Instead they Col.Carter shoot conventional weapons at them which not only damages the ship but destroys Icarus aswell.

They're going to have to build at the very least, one hundred ships. Just a handful will not cut it. And they need to revisit psychic abilities. Every ship should have a prior or two.

yeah, they should change that by a factor of 10 at least

like 400 ships were 1 day away and were able to gather or something

not 40 lmao

hundreds of ships is also ridiculous lmao - it should be hundreds of thousands of ships

Space is vast and their primary mission is exploration. I'd expect their ships to be scattered all over known space and even at warp it takes time to put together a strike force.

whys this exist

To be fair there are super secret groups in the federation whose entire purposes are furthering the federations war capabilities. The population in general might get hurtburt about it but the shits what kept em from being overtaken by countless shit

>hundreds of ships is also ridiculous lmao - it should be hundreds of thousands of ships

There's no need for 100k science ships all doing the same science over top of each other. The same goes for a peace keeping force. Space in Star Trek is very sparsely populated and those populations are pretty small, planet to planet. It isn't like Star Wars where nearly everything is colonized except the backwaters.

>Dat feel when we never got to see both SG teams baiting the Ori & Wraith into a fight

In the Legacy books sg1 is helping out in the fight against the wraith

yeah, but the folks themselves probably use fucking ships to get around, like total civilians

they at least need shields and phasers to blow up debris and shit -- call them in, like how the british called in anyone with a boat to help at dunkirk

yeah, but the folks themselves probably use fucking ships to get around, like total civilians

they at least need shields and phasers to blow up debris and shit -- call them in, like how the british called in anyone with a boat to help at dunkirk

why do people want starfleet to be a military organization so bad?

Because we want space battles and pew-pew lasers.

America has a ridiculous military budget and still doesn't have 1% of its population in the army.

But there was a scale change between TNG and DS9, in TNG 40 ships is a decent fleet, but in DS9 individual fleets are 1000+ ships

In the fed, everything larger than a baby buggy has photon torpedos and phasers. They arnt a pacifist organization. The Fed ONLY makes military ships and their exploration is a masquerade.

Eddington pls

The truth is the Feds are just way more advanced than the rest, which is why their multi-purpose ships can match dedicated warships from other races

>Theirs shields are pretty good, i guess.
This was the only compliment iv ever heard a anyone say about starfleet ships.

Then why do they keep winning wars

if you already watched them why do you need a start guide dumbass?

The Federation of Planets isn't heavily militarized like other sci-fi nations. Starfleet's ships aren't even properly armed for a war. Their mission is exploration afterall.

Killingons are retarded
Romulans are smaller
Borg are retarded
Dominion only lost due to space gods taking all their ships

>This small star empire mentality

>I swear to god you people are being this stupid on purpose.

>i was pretending to be retarded

The Romulans and Dominion are respectable. All the rest arnt.
The federation never beat these two in a fair fight.

The Klingons could beat the Romulans by themselves. The Feds would stomp them if they went on a full war footing

>Lasers, missiles and conditional canons
They couldn't even penetrate a starfleet ships navigational shields.
Vortex missiles and warp based teleport bording actions would be their only means of attack.

This would only be effective until they divert power to the deflectors array and modulate it to maximum gellar.

>Can't deny the dominion were set to stomp the fed until space magic.

Why do people feel the romulans are weak? They have massive warships and advanced cloaking. They also are probably better at espionage than most other groups.

>Federation uses intelligence and diplomacy to befriend space gods

it's a legitimate tactic m8

>Better at espionage
Literally when does the Tal Shiar not get fucked up by everyone else

It's cheap. Both as larping and as an ending to what was a good series.

>yeah, but the folks themselves probably use fucking ships to get around, like total civilians
There are private ships in the federation, usually just shuttle pod sized ships, or the occasional freighter. Otherwise the federation taxis civilians and colonists between planets all the time.
And other member species have their own ship yards and fleets outside of starfleet (the vulcans, tellarites, etc).

Pretty sure vulcans arnt members except in the reboot which doesn't count.

the executor is bigger then
but the biggest one is the eldar craftworld

>why do people want starfleet to be a military organization so bad?

Everyone knows it's military and those who don't are just pretending to be retarded.

>one of the federations founding races arent members

Casuals pls go

>Vulcans aren't members
Hi tourist, you should probably watch Star Trek before commenting in these threads, please leave.

OP question literally has nothing to do with whether or not Starfleet is a military branch of the Federation. The fact is that in an organization that massive, there should be literally hundreds of thousands of ships AT LEAST. Not only for exploration but just basic surveying, trade, transport, border patrol and peacekeeping operations.

Shouldn't you get a gf brah?

reminder their no proof the dominion is actually evil outside of untrustworthy traitors.

>Dude let's exterminate all life on Earth lmao

boo fucking whooo

Unironically want a decent Star Trek animated show.

Fuck CBS/Paramount are the fucking worst. They have the entire Star Trek license and refuse to let anybody use it, but do jack with it themselves.

I've kind of wanted to get back into doing my own animation and just reanimate the good episodes of TAS.

Yes, if they maintained a rough parallel with the real world, well, none of them were any threat on the high seas to the US, only Japan was, and wasn't after WWII.

The industrial might of the capitalist west left them in the dust as we could out produce them without needing to devote half the economy to a sham attempt to look like you're keeping up.

So, yes. They should be well ahead. That they are not suggests the Federation is not capitalist, and therefore is lagging in economic freedom...and the attendant industrial might.

inb4 post-capitalist plenty due to replicators, it clearly ain't working that way, is it?