So why does Sup Forums have a hateboner for anime...

So why does Sup Forums have a hateboner for anime? I recently got back into it an realized how lacking American animation has been. I'm not saying all animation from the west is bad (pic related takes the use of the medium to its absolute best) but what America specifically has on offer is extremely lacking. We don't really take advantage of the extra frames and a lot of shows here have the characters just standing and talking just as much as anime gets criticized for it. Could you shed some light of why people denounce animation if it comes from Jap'n

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YVgv1d0PeZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=BosH9d56SsM
dailymotion.com/video/x27aspu_hollywood-plucky-tiny-toons_shortfilms
dailymotion.com/video/x2neqnn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I like anime but I don't really like the dialogue. Naturally this comes from translation issues and is something that is completely subjective on my end but I'd rather watch western animation because I find the dialogue more natural.

Japanese animation sucks now because it's all CG instead of hand-drawn. You don't really feel the emotion in characters anymore like in 90s anime.

Anime is mostly way too serious and dark for me with more of a consistent story. I watch anymation for shorter stories and comedy. And if it is a comedy show it's usually just le cute grills doing cute things, which is not my cup of tea either

Because Sup Forums is a fucking circlejerk who parrots almost everything everyone else says. Knowledge of anime here stops at stuff like Naruto and Digimon. Sup Forums doesn't care about animation, just jerking it to the newest show with the newest waifus. That's why threads for good shows with almost no waifus die while shit like TLH and SU get 24/7 threads.

Tl;dr Sup Forums only cares about jerking it to cartoons, not the works themselves.

>Anime is mostly way too serious and dark for me with more of a consistent story. I watch anymation for shorter stories and comedy.

So you never actually tried watching good anime.

Wew lad
>implying 95% of Sup Forums i not just waifu fights

>LE Gumball is good on any level meme

I just prefer the more simplistic style western animation has. I really like PSG and Osumatsu-San though. If anyone has any more western looking anime recommendations please share them with me.

I actually like anime more especially with the current shit state we're in with cartoons right now where everything has to be a half assed comedy with half assed animation not all but a lot plus cause anime we got cool action shows even thou that time is over

>Knowledge of anime here stops at stuff like Naruto and Digimon.

If you have dig deep to find content, then it's not a good genre. There's quite of share of good cartoons on television currently on mainstream television.

I understand the hatred of Naruto, but it's still a pretty decent story. I don't get when people treat it as the irate bad anime, when you have pure shit like Fairy Tail or Sword Art Online.

>If you have dig deep to find content, then it's not a good genre.

1. >anime
>genre
2. If you think going past Naruto and Digimon is digging deep then you don't know what you're talking about

I seriously hope you're not implying he should watch SoL jap shit.

>If you have dig deep to find content, then it's not a good genre.
Sturgeon's law applies at every genre

Why do people like Gumball again? All it does is use mainstream memes and reuses the same bland 90s tropes you seen thousands of times over.

I'm an Sup Forums crossboarder who's in it for the animation, and this is the impression I got. I can go to Sup Forums and find anons discussing or willing to discuss any series dating back to Astroboy. I can find anons who have framed animation cells on the wall and anons who aspire to become animators themselves.
Sure, there are constant circlejerks on Sup Forums, but there's a core userbase who know their shit. I've seen scant evidence of that on this board.

Anything by Gainax or Trigger, really. Google series names and see if the art style grabs you.

He was not implying that. All SoL anime is just as bad, if not worse.

Where did I imply that?

Hey Aria is good.

> Sup Forums makes a thread to pat itself on the back

i think we should all just move on, don't take the bait and they will go back to their board

Gee god forbid some people not care about anime, anime is so kewl and every place should have it

But OP asked good question, why do Sup Forums has big hateboner for anime? I never understood this.

>Everything that triggers me is by people I don't like
>Nobody can have opinions or make threads that don't make my safe space comfortable for me

I don't have a hateboner for anime, I really like anime. I just don't watch a lot of modern stuff.

But this is Sup Forums you will see it anyway.

anime is a medium to tell stories of various genres
that's like saying all comics are Dilbert

>So why does Sup Forums have a hateboner for anime?
Because Sup Forums is full of casual knuckleheads who don't know shit about the things they claim to like or dislike.

What do I win?

Same.

I really like anime, but I really hate anime fans so I try to make them angry.

You just described Sup Forums, user.

See

Anime is trash.

What's there to go past to? It's all the same shit. If I named any other Shonen, you would reject it as "not deep enough". Personally that's just me trying trying to figure where the hatred of Naruto comes from, when there is legitimately worse anime out there.

Also I never even mentioned Digimon, I just quoted it because it was in the same sentence. I find it weird you would use this in example sine it hasn't been popular in western mainstream since the mid-2000s. Plus, it's a product placement anime, the point of it is to sell toys/card/game or whatever.

In the end, that's all anime is. Sure there are some gems, but most are cours/double cours used as selling pitches to get people interested in the manga. Cartoons for the most part don't come from comics.

As someone has been in Sup Forums for ages, I can confirm that his analysis is bullshit. You only need to head over there now for 10 seconds to see that. It's extremely rare to have a proper discussion there or anywhere for that matter.

user, what if I told you that Japan is arguably the largest producer of cartoons and comics in the world?

They always do that. Sup Forums is pretty much just a raid board now. Very user is human garbage and deserves to be killed

OP didn't ask a good question, if he wasn't an crossboarder fag he would know Sup Forums doesn't hate anime, there's toonami threads everyday, discussion about classic eastern pieces, this board likes all animation, what Sup Forums hates is Sup Forums.

Why? Because you turboniggers are incapable of proccesing the idea that maybe somebody doesn't like your shit the same level you do and have the guts to try enforce your shit meems and elitism on a board that isn't yours and then cry and moan "IM BEING OPPRESSED" when people tell you to fuck off. Constantly making bait threads and generally shitting the board with your "east>west" crap. This is the board for comics and cartoons, can you discuss non-western stuff? sure, as long as you're not being a faggot about it, which Sup Forumsutists seem to be incapable of doing.

I like anime just as much as I like Western animation. I don't watch a lot of either though, so whatever.
On a somewhat related note, Jin-Roh and Redline are my fucking shit.

Just a side question, does those fans action to do with Internet and anonymous status? Basically, people can do the shitposts and trivial discussions since there is almost no consequence.

sorry, meant for and only

Because it's been pretty habitual to start Sup Forums vs Sup Forums wars here whenever anime is mentioned due to everyone's astounding lack of knowledge or astonishing abundance of bias for one side or the other.

Yeah we had like a week long thread on Metropolis this week.

>I didn't read the post, but Sup Forums is bad.

How is glancing at the catalog for "ten seconds" supposed to confirm or deny that good discussions happen from time to time? I said there's a core base of knowledgeable people, not that they're responsible for most of the traffic.

Kaiba.

Ow the edge

Niggers, Gumball is what is saving Western Animation. It's like you never watched the show. There are barely ever any memes or overused tropes. The humor is usually character and dialogue based. Funniest cartoon in the west since Spongebob.

>What's there to go past to? It's all the same shit. If I named any other Shonen

How about a show that's not in the same genre? How about you actually google what is considered good anime? That's like saying every cartoon is spongebob because it's the longest and one of the most popular cartoons.

Well i do agree with that but i dont think Sup Forums is any better at this point. Well back in day you could sometimes storytime something Sup Forums in Sup Forums and nobody really gave a shit and enjoyed but things chanced with whole Sup Forumsmblr thing.

The thread is about quality of an anime, not the quantity of it's marketing.
Degenerate Nips and Weebs love the collection of harem/ecchi shonen/school comedy that comes out every season.
Even potentially great concepts in modern times like Fate and Grimgar have to suffer the same kind of marketing.

Once again, Manga>Old Anime>>>Modern Anime

>OP didn't ask a good question

More like, he triggered me and I'm a newfag.

We all know you are, user.

>There are barely ever any memes

But Kabaneri is most selling this season but everyone knows japs have shit taste.

>Well i do agree with that but i dont think Sup Forums is any better at this point

it certainly has its own problems but is nowhere near as bad as Sup Forums and i would like it to stay that way

im saying we don't need the autism from another board here, we have our own

Its less a hateboner for anime (although it is a bit that) and more a hatred for Sup Forumsutists.

>The humor is usually character and dialogue based.

I'm pretty sure that's Regular Show you're talking about.

I do agree that boards should have own autism and not force them to other boards.

I don't remember stating that Sup Forums is "bad". I simply said that his statement was bullshit because it's not as good as he made it out to be. The fact is if you glance over to the catalog at random times you're most likely only find very few or none good discussions at all.

If you're going to get triggered simply because I didn't agree with you then you're part of the problem.

>So why does Sup Forums have a hateboner for anime?
Fans of Western animation who have a hateboner for anime are usually motivated by jealousy and nationalism, or at best they are just ignorant.

Anime is still hand-drawn, mostly on paper and sometimes on tablets. 3DCG is used to supplement the hand-drawn animation.

"Dark" anime is the exception, not the rule. Comedies and other lighthearted shows are very common. There are also tons of short comedy shows with episodes lasting only a few minutes.

You don't have to dig deep, you just have to dig deeper than 3-5 extremely well-known and quite old shows that have run on Western television.

Then so is everything else.

>What's there to go past to? It's all the same shit.
Every genre found in live action is also found in anime. There is anime for every demographic in many different styles about many different topics.

>Plus, it's a product placement anime, the point of it is to sell toys/card/game or whatever.
>most are cours/double cours used as selling pitches to get people interested in the manga
Which doesn't tell us anything about the quality of a show or what its creators were thinking.

>Degenerate Nips and Weebs love the collection of harem/ecchi shonen/school comedy that comes out every season.
They also love other things besides those. Harem, ecchi, shounen and school comedy shows aren't even all the same thing. Sakamoto Desu ga and Anne Happy for example are both school comedies, but they're not the same thing.

>Once again, Manga>Old Anime>>>Modern Anime
You just don't know anything about modern anime.

It seems a lot of phrases in anime recur a hell of a lot. Not how they're translated in subtitles either, which can sorta vary, but literally what they're saying in Japanese.

I'm not saying media in general doesn't do this, with lines and phrases that are overused, but after a while of watching anime you start seeing certain situations and recognizing exactly what they'll say and how they'll deliver it.

Or I've just been watching a ton of crap anime.

the japanese culture in any tackled genre makes most anime cringy for me to watch.
e.g. 'comedy' makes no fucking sense and isn't funny since japan doesn't understand satire/observational humor and sticks to 'word puns' and 'expressional slap-stick' with little to no variety.

One Punch Man

>

I don't hate anime. I just have a stronger connection towards American made cartoons as an American.

Maybe it's because of the smug superiority additude of anime fans like you. Ever since the early 2000's, we've constantly have had to put up with the claims that anime is in superior to western animation and that cartoon fans are manchildren (although the latter is argued by many more people than anime fans). It made some sense for this superiority additude in the late 2000's when even some western animation fans admitted that modern anime (experiencing a creative renaissance) was overall better than modern toons (especially those on TV) which were in a brief dark age. Now though, with cartoons experiencing their own renaissance and Anime being seen by many to have stagnated, the additude has now become annoying and alienating.

>modern anime (experiencing a creative renaissance)
What renaissance?

>Now though, with cartoons experiencing their own renaissance and Anime being seen by many to have stagnated
This hasn't actually happened though. American animated shows are still waaaaaaaaaaaay behind anime, and the notion that anime has stagnated is nothing more than a myth.

One joke man

>Maybe it's because of the smug superiority additude of anime fans like you.
>He gets this upset by people saying obvious things like American TV animation isn't that good

Grow up?

This.
I have nothing against it personally but the dialogue between character's always bothers me in a way that just stops from being able to continue watching.

It's a small pet peeve that is sadly an inherit part of the medium that adds up to become a large annoyance and deal breaker.

Tiny Toons & Animaniacs will like to have a word with you.

In fact your picture is from Animaniacs.

I thought they just did the animation not the writing.

Tms was only animated in Japan

They edited the scripts all the time.

>What renaissance?
The one in the late 2000's (should've reworded it.

>This hasn't actually happened though. American animated shows are still waaaaaaaaaaaay behind anime, and the notion that anime has stagnated is nothing more than a myth.
Comments like this and are the exact reasons why some people despise anime fans. Maybe anime hasn't stagnated but not recognizing some people just enjoy the storytelling of the west better than the east makes one come off as ignorant and condescending.

There was no renaissance at that year, please read this, it will save your life one day.

No one really hates it that much OP, it's just losers like you who keep shitposting the same Sup Forums vs. Sup Forums thread day in and day out.

And what renaissance was that exactly?

>Comments like this and are the exact reasons why some people despise anime fans.
I was simply stating a fact. Maybe you should be despising the state of American animation instead.

>Bring this mad because someone triggered your childish sensibilities

I like this image because it's true in a lot of its points but it shits the bed by having Avatar and SBT on it

>Symbionic Titan
>Bad animation

all I got so far. I wish I could work faster

>I could just transform into other people!

Christ, its' like you don't even watch the cartoon.

You know star vs had some pretty good animation before the studio shift

It's true, Rough Draft is soulless.
First one is still better but this is still valid.
Better then most flash shows but Wakfu/Dofus creams it however.

Also, at least you agree with me that Laura Haruna was a wonderful girl.

Well, I can think of a few reasons subjectively.

Anime leans heavily towards the "real". Realistic environments, realistic anatomy, realistic color palettes, realistic talking times, realistic flowy and smooth motions. It's all very pretty, but it's not what I look for in animation. It's a medium where you can literally do anything, and yet it sets itself within their own narrow boundaries. Sure you still have fantastical concepts, giant mechs and monsters and the like, but even they are still grounded by these natural constructs, and are relegated to small portions of the actual episode time.

Extreme caricature, effective character design, and surrealism are things I've yet to see in anime. I'm sure they're out there, things like Panty and Stocking and BoBoBo have been great and have really appealed to me, but I really have no time to dig out of the mountains of fairly homogenized material within the anime community to find more.

(If someone recommends me another high school anime I think I'm going to have an aneurysm.)

Also, how hard is it to use frames efficiently and effectively, with strong posing and transitioning techniques (squash and stretch, follow through) that use fewer frames while maintaining the life and energy of the characters, rather than relying on stills and mouth loops, which, for me, completely break emersion. Anime seems to forsake these in favor of big action and event scenes, but what's the good in this when the rest of the episode has so little motion that it could honestly be audio theater?

Also, as someone who's studying to become an animator, there's very little reason for me, as a western artist, to focus on the eastern anime aesthetic. We will never have the manpower or economic incentive when we compete with their own style. And because I don't intend to learn Korean or Japanese any time soon, I need to look within the limitations of my own industry and adapt accordingly.

>Extreme caricature, effective character design, and surrealism are things I've yet to see in anime.

>Also, as someone who's studying to become an animator, there's very little reason for me, as a western artist, to focus on the eastern anime aesthetic.

Aren't you supposed to look at animation from all over the world? You do realize even Walt took inspiration from the East?

>It's a medium where you can literally do anything, and yet it sets itself within their own narrow boundaries
American animation is much, much more limited because it covers such a narrow range of stories and has a more limited range of animation. You're probably thinking it's less limited because of "squash and stretch" and whatnot, but that's just a single style. Doing funny faces and cartoon gags for the better part of a century does not constitute breaking boundaries.

>Extreme caricature, effective character design, and surrealism are things I've yet to see in anime.
That kind of stuff can be found in anime. Masaaki Yuasa is probably the most well-known example:
youtube.com/watch?v=YVgv1d0PeZQ

Shinya Ohira is another one:
youtube.com/watch?v=BosH9d56SsM

>Also, how hard is it to use frames efficiently and effectively
Anime makes super efficient use of drawings. That's really the basis of its limited animation style.

>rather than relying on stills and mouth loops, which, for me, completely break emersion.
You get "immersed" by cartoon animation rather than sets, lighting, music, sound design and camera work?

>Anime seems to forsake these in favor of big action and event scenes, but what's the good in this when the rest of the episode has so little motion that it could honestly be audio theater?
This is a myth and not what anime is actually like.

Again, Tiny Toons & Animaniacs will like to have a word with you.

Yes?

dailymotion.com/video/x27aspu_hollywood-plucky-tiny-toons_shortfilms

What does that have to do with my point?

The episode has extreme caricatures, effective character designs, and surrealism.

This also has surrealism.
dailymotion.com/video/x2neqnn

I never said it didn't.

I don't think you're comprehending his point. He posted Space Patrol Luluco, an anime, in response to: "Extreme caricature, effective character design, and surrealism are things I've yet to see in anime." He didn't say anything about American shows.