Would you watch a Starship Troopers animation series?

Would you watch a Starship Troopers animation series?
Pro-military propaganda or balls to the walls parody?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pcfpzfPdx-U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Will there be casual nudity?

They already tried that: youtube.com/watch?v=pcfpzfPdx-U

It lasted about seven months.

>casual

why not something in the middle?

you mean other than the one that exists?

I already did watch it. It was great. Shame it ended on a cliffhanger.

There is also some jappy animated feature on netflix.

Didn't the animated series end with a bunch of bugs heading towards earth?

The one where Johnny Rico became Big Boss?

I already did.

There's an anime from the 80s base on the book.

Now we need an edit.

>Starship Troopers animation series

They've already done it. Twice.

Three times if you count Invasion, too.

Bugs on earth that could mimic humans

Like the ones from the second movie? The parasites?

>Pro-military propaganda or balls to the walls parody?
I like to see a thoughtful examination of the problems deriving from the sometimes necessity of military and individual strength in an imperfect world with imperfect and it becoming the dominant values of an entire society seeing it as the perfect, universal solution. Something that engages with Heinlein's philosophy and ethical ponderings without just discarding it as "lol fascism."

Or, I dunno. Cute bug girl and soldier Romeo and Juliet story. Either one is fine.

Are there ANY millitary shows made right now? Having at least one would be a great step for diversity.

>Name change to Big Boss
>Outer Heaven instead of LG Satellite Base
>Logo change and FED NET change to CODEC
If only I was any good at Photoshopping.

No, these bugs could switch between an Arachnid form and a human one, the only way they were identified was because they were remarkably bad at holding a conversation.

>psychic mind battles with bugs
the animated series got pretty fucking mental in the latter episodes

Makes sense of a sort-a hive-mind type species group to not be great at talking to individuals

I'd like Generation Kill: Bug Hunt with the first one.
Relatable fuckups under the yoke of extreme militarism.
Satire's great and all, but it's the norm now. It has it's place as critique, but it's pretty much just self aggrandizing smarm these days.

Outside of the early 2000s CGI and the too-dramatic-for-my-taste tone and color palette, this doesn't look half-bad.

Voltron and Steven Universe technically?

He even pilots a mech.

Kojima didn't invent eye patches.

are you sure you're not just grabbing MGS screenshots?

So XCOM?

militaristic government tendencies are usually so flawed that is hard not to fall into plain joke territory when doing a critique

Shit JC just get an augmented eye and put your shades back on.

I'd accept light parody, but you cannot just disregard the ideology of Starship Troopers outright. There has to be some kind of balance within the series.

Tell me what your alternative is that is somehow less flawed user.

That's an exosuit, not a mech.

Mechs have cockpits.

there was one it was terrible

Propaganda.
First of all America needs to get some of its pride back and we also need all the able bodied soldiers we can get for ww3.

And parody is a cancer upon the world. It is the lowest form of "art". They just keep making fun of hard working people who actually make things work while they themselves don't contribute anything but hurtful trolling.
Parodists assume they have the higher ground than everyone else but they themselves are a million times worse lazy, 1st world pandered and spoiled bastards. They've never been to the army, they don't know shit about military life.
They might criticize and make fun of the world vision in starship troopers but I don't see them making anything better.
In starshiptroopers they have achieved utopia and true equality between both genders and across all races. You won't see parody or a critics' opinions ever resulting in anything like that.
Parodists are fucking worthless.

You do realize the writer of these books was a lieutenant in the Navy, right?

Yes, and...?
You aren't allowed to write anything if you've been in the military, is that what you're saying?
Freedom of speech isn't allowed for everyone?

I actually would like to know more.

Yeah. It ended 3 episodes away from the planned finale. I'm still bitter.

What hell are talking about?

Cockpit got torn off.

REMEMBER YOUR TRAINING AND YOU WILL MAKE IT BACK ALIVE

It really is funny how they mocked the utopian vision of the world expressed in Starship Troopers that accomplishes the egalitarian ideals so majy people dream of in this era, but they hold it as some kind of evil because it is accomplished through a social structure of citizen soldiers

You are the one dismissing writing just because it was made by someone in the navy, you degenerate piece of shit.
What the fuck are you going on about?

>you will never be a space marine
>the time line where America went ahead with the star wars project and the space race never died and instead of exploration we just waged war in space will never be real
>you will never work on the whims of Terran omnicorps that want you to get to another planet before the other fuckers to Terra form that bitch
>you will never pull a Gundam and start fighting for your new planet and wage war from across space in some space mecha and inside ships going full doom against bio engineered abominations

Jam it, bros.

>In starshiptroopers they have achieved utopia and true equality between both genders and across all races.

yes, because it was a work of fiction

I was pointing out to the asshurt paragraph writer that the guy who made the parody actually was involved in the military. Show me where I "dismiss" anyone's writing.

Its mocked because military dictatorships have never been that throughout history. Saddam kept different groups in line, but he did it at the cost of a lot of innocent lives and a shirty standard of living. Same with Castro. Saying your magical military utopia will totally work this time because we're fighting bugs makes for a fun novel, but a terrible idea for anyone that actually takes it seriously

>this is your average Sup Forumstard

What are some scifi military themed Sup Forums related materials?

I think he's saying that since the original writer was a Lieutenant in the Navy, it's probably already as full of American pride as it gets. But that's just my guess.

The novel is actually far more cynical about the whole facist society thing, the movie was less political in that sense.

Yeah, it's almost as if the liberal shits don't actually care about achieving any kind of utopia or equality at all and they are actually just trying to focus more power for themselves so they can boss people around.
Aka. Libbies being libbies as usual.

A WEAPON TO SURPASS METAL GEAR

I really love stories where it follows a group from entering boot camp, to the heights if their careers. Especially when it's scifi

But the main character isn't American, he's Filipino.

Kind of funny when think about how the director of the movie lived next to a German military base during WW2 and him and his family were nearly killed multiple times by allied bombing runs.

...Starshiptroopers book is not a parody.
Don't confuse it with the shit movie that tries to turn everything into a joke because the director had no professionalism at all.
You dumb shit.

>The novel is actually far more cynical
What are you talking about? The novel is full on FUCK YEAH THIS IS THE GREATEST SHIT EVER, THE 20th CENTURY WAS FUCKING GAY JOIN THE ARMY NOW YOU FUCKING PUSSY.

One thing i really disliked about Rogue Trooper is how it never actually stepped out of the rambo cliche, rogue never actually stops fighting for the south and the norts are always portrayed as stereotypical villains. Rogue isn't really well rogue, merely tsundere for his superiors.

A fully depressing look at what ST's society would look like in the real world rather than a highly utopian novel.

>shutting in based verhoeven, the guy that gave us robocop

Check yourself before you wreck youself

>Paul Verhoeven

>no professionalism

What? Are you complaining that the guy who lived through WW2 bombings might not be particuarly pro-military?

Mocking 80s corporatism and cocaine fueled cultural expression with Robocop is a whole different beast user.

Buenos Aires is in the Philippines? I could have sworn it was in Argentina.

Everyone who doesn't have a Michael Bay sized boner for the military is an unprofessional loser.

What do yoy envision that world to be? Genuinely curious here, as this mind of alternate future world offers uo many different concepts for discussion

Literally everybody says this about their opposition.

Personally I actually kind of found it refreshing how there wasn't some overly complex grey morality to it. I feel like that's overdone in a lot of these kinds of stories.

Plus the fact that the norts are so ridiculously treacherous and shitty and evil is funny.

For a comic called rogue trooper though, he didn't ever really go rogue, I'll give you that.

Why exactly would it be depressing? There is nothing in the book to suggest that people can't live rich, full lives without military service.

That's because people like you didn't read the book.

The Verhoeven movie WAS parody.

I read it, like, fifteen years ago when I was in highschool. You'll have to forgive me not being able to remember which spanish speaking country the main character originated from(there are quite a few).

It's a perfect utopia and only those that truly give a shit about society get to vote so it will stay a perfect utopia.
What the fuck is supposed to be depressing about that? What the hell is wrong with your head user?

Nigger there's a part where they mention the corps used those who couldn't get into combat roles as test subjects because "everyone had to serve"

It's ok, they're all white in the movie anyway.

He was given a job, he was supposed to make a movie based on the book, he was paid for it.
But instead of being a professional movie maker he acted like a little spoiled brat and shat all over the source material.
It's the very definition of unprofessional film making.

Are we still talking about the book or the movie? The book actually discourages people from enlisting by having recruiters be walking warnings of what you'll end up as if you're in the frontlines. Hell, even in the movie you actually have to enlist, there's no draft, no one is forced to serve anything.

Not to mention the pervasive theme of the military intelligence hegemony becoming increasingly dehumainzed and bug like the longer they engaged in the war against the pseudo arachnids.

It also harps on about how military life is hard as fuck but still the best possible way to spend your life, how society is better in every way under military rule, and it goes off on a wild tangent twice about how civilian justice is objectively the worst thing ever and military justice is the only thing that works.

There was a book first you illiterate moron.

The Forever War is basically Starship Troopers without the rose-tinted glasses. It's pretty dated in some ways considered the book is from 1974 (while Starship Troopers is from 1959 and comes across less dated, at least to me), but in other ways this datedness gives it a lot more perspective.

For example. one of the big plot points in the book is that space travel takes a fucking lot of time and creates a time difference between those in space and those on Earth, and one of the culture shocks the main character gets when he returns from space is that being gay is now considered normal.

The movies were not faithful to the book and purposeful mockery of the subject matter by a childish director.

I'd like to see a movie trye to book and not be influenced or judged by todays tumbler culture.

I mean, we eventually got enders game...roughly true to the books, though it did cut out a major sub plot and really didn't hit the viewers with the weight of twist reveal.

In the book, women could not hack mobile infantry training, but they mainly enlisted as navy ship crew and had seperate quarters of the ship sepwrated by gender, so no casual co-ed shower scenes.

I hate what Verhoeven did but to be fair the movie started as unrelated to it and they just used the name when they got the rights.

That isn't really bad.
It's more like something the cowards deserve.
There are people out there fucking dying for them, it's not unreasonable that they should give something back in return once in a while.

Still not the powe armor, weapons and tactics described in the book.

Warhammer 40k was actually heavily inspired by the series.

No, there is a really old hand drawn robotech era starship trooper mini series...while it's not perfect, it's still way better than the travesty the live action movie series was.

More from the perspective of within the military. The book states that peacetime MI is a bunch of busywork made intentionally dangerous.

A couple of things off the top my head include tension between military and non-military civil service, the fact that since they say they take anyone who signs up means that it'd have to have a massively overbloated government sector and military, or that since they're still a free market economy that the military-industrial complex would have to be completely entrenched.

Johnny Rico was a dark skinned flip...leave it to anime to make everyone white.

1 was good, 2 was pretty bad, and 3 went full retard

They tried to scare away the MC on purpose because A they can't use cowards and will only take those that are 100% dedicated no matter what, and B he was basically enlisting to become cannon fodder after he failed getting in everywhere else (and didn't love his dog enough).

>But instead of being a professional movie maker he acted like a little spoiled brat and shat all over the source material.

Who the fuck cares? It's not the obligation of a director to direct a "faithful" adaptation of a book. It's their obligation to make a good movie, and that's where it ends, full-stop.

You want the book, read the book.

Don't forget how certain styles and parts of books just don't translate to film and have to be cut or altered. Like you said, if he wants the book he should just read the book.

>Who the fuck cares?
Those who want to hire someone reliable.
Those who care about being able to trust fellow members of society.
Those who want to upkeep standards.

>Personally I actually kind of found it refreshing how there wasn't some overly complex grey morality to it.

Considering this came out in the 80's, i would say it was a product of its era. It follows pretty much every other trend of media from the time. For example the Norts being a blatant mix of Nazis and Soviets.

>I feel like that's overdone in a lot of these kinds of stories.

closest thing i've seen to that in a comic is simply "war is hell", but it never something that actually adresses things like the politics of both sides

I feel like the comic teases the reader with the idea that Rogue could actually stop giving a shit, there's a lot of moments where Rogue concludes that the whole conflict is retarded and the south is just as shitty as the north, yet he completely forgets this on the next page and goes back to his archetype. For example there's this ocassion where Rogue finds a Nort-South flag on the moon and says something about how the north and the south shouldn't fight and humans accomplished great things united but this is never adressed again and Rogue just keeps going like nothing happened. Rogue as a character never develops or grows in any way, he stays exactly the same from start to finish, at least in the original comics.

There was a Starship Troopers animated series you underage little faggot twink