Is Grounding even a real thing?

Has anyone actually ever been grounded before? I have only ever seen this shit in Cartoons and movies:

>Main character gets grounded for something that was either out of his control or completely his fault
>Parents leave all his electronic devices in his room because they forgot to take them out
>Sometimes that doesn't always happen and the main character loses all his privileges and starts bitching profusely about how bored he is
>Angles that involve him sneaking out thru his window without his parents finding out
>Places "dummy body" inside bed to trick his parents into believing "he's sleeping"
>Has to sneak into his house as to not get caught by his parents
>The angle that revolves round the parents quietly sitting on furniture so they can do the cliché of turning on the light to surprise him
>Having the main character sit in a corner as punishment
>The dunce cap.

Yes it is. You either were a marvelous child, or had awful parenting.

I grew up on a farm grounding would have been pointless

Or maybe their parents just didn't ground anyone, like my immigrant parents

I was never really "grounded" grounded because foster parents hate using that word they think its oppressive

You see foster parents use the word "Loss of Privileges" instead because according to them it sounds more "professional."

Are you shitting me, user? I got grounded all the time as a kid. So did a lot of my friends.

You would get locked in a rape cellar instead and beat savagely with your daddy's belt in a drunken slur.

I never got grounded

my parents would just beat the shit out of me, and I turned out a o-o-okay... ;-;

I think you're confusing the dramatic and comedic premises that arise from the real world practice of disciplining children with the actual act of disciplining children.

and based on this you're just being a sperg over the word "grounded" since you clearly understand the concept and have even been subjected to it.

My parents never grounded me and my foster parents had a type of grounding but it wasn't technically under the same definition "Isolation" was the more professional term

They'd lock you in your room and only let you out to come use the bathroom. They'd also bring your food to you and if you didn't eat it you didn't get dessert.

How could I be grounded if I never left my room anyway?

>That episode of Moral Orel where Orel got beat so often and so frequently with Clay's belt he developed a Masochism fetish.

Man I never see kids get grounded like "REAL" grounded they're always under a form of meta grounding and it only works between the ages of 5-12 because the older you get the higher chance there was you'd awol

When your parents take all your electronics away

Does getting locked in a closet count?

Not sure how long it was, there was just a lightbulb and clothes in there.

Are you Harry Potter?

I had a friend who had a very volatile relationship with his mother. She would remove the door to his room for weeks at time as punishment.

This. Grounding never worked for me, though, because it would just make my depression worse until my parents realized that I wasn't eating not out of protest, but because I genuinely had no desire to live without the Internet.

No, my parents wouldn't ground me, they'd send me to my room but if a friend came over, I'd still have to go outside with them/whatever. Grounding children pretty much teaches them to be introverts.

I didn't have any friends so my parents couldn't actually ground me, since I didn't go anywhere in fear that I would get picked on. They also couldn't take away any of my games because I was only allowed to play them when we had breaks, so they were already off limits. Usually when I was caught doing something bad I'd get beat. When I was in high school I did start getting friends and going out more, but 1) I was already too old to be grounded in their eyes and 2) I got those friends through a robotics club, so they couldn't really tell me not to go because it was beneficial.

> That embarrassing time when you got grounded and the Rape Cellar was already occupied.

>Never being allowed to masturbate in the privacy on your own room

>Guilt tripping your parents this hard

Holy shit go back to /r9k/

the only time my mother actually went through with a punishment was when I had been throwing cans at seagulls as they migrated over head, and the can ended up on my neighbors roof so I climbed up to get it back
then my neighbor came walking out of the house so to avoid getting caught I took a running leap from the roof to the ground and my mom saw me jump from the window.

she made me come inside for 30 minutes

although there was another time when I didn't feel like going to school and she said "if you don't go to school you don't get to sleep in the house"
so I didn't go to school and she made me sleep outside, which actually isn't a big deal because I was just going to go to the park down the street and sleep up in one of the trees. She threw a monkey wrench into my master plan by throwing my guinea pig out with me, without the cage though so I had to carry him around all night with me while I wandered the neighborhood

Yes, grounding is a real thing.

The dummy body too, but it only works once.

No it teaches them that rules are made to be broken because teenagers are built for the purpose of non compliance and that needs to be beaten out of their bodies via fear based tactics.

How the fuck do you get too old to be grounded how fucking old were you?

Sorry I had clinical depression when I was 6 or 7? Fuck, m8, leave me alone.

That's parental abuse. And the only thing I ever used to do was pee on my roof and or sneak across the room to see if I could jack off to the hot teenage neighbors.

You're suppose to lock your door or put a barricade around it.

>Clinical depression
>at 6 or 7 years old

Please tell me your exaggerating I lived with an abusive family and my suicidal depression didn't kick in till I was 15

16/15? Can't really remember. They said I needed to start making my own decisions, but I think it might have to do with the fact that I was too pussy to go to any parties and the likes. I mean, I was sneaking out to go to a robotics club, I wasn't exactly the type of person to come home one night completely wasted with a girl I just impregnated.

I always thought it was an american meme, when I was disciplined at home I was put to do shit, like clean or something.

Why didn't you just tell your parents this?

Also 15/16 they can't just throw you out of the house that's illegal

I wish.
That little John Lennon fucker had a bed in there and I bet it wasn't as hot for him.

That's usually part of grounding as doing extra chores. Usually its "Go sit in the time out corner"

Like when I had my privileges taken away first I was ordered to write an apology letter then clean the entire house meaning I had to do all the chores for 5 different people who lived there.

He couldn't have slept in there forever he would have gotten too big

But then again those step parents were probably thrilled to throw him out of the house.

Were you just an angel of a child or your parents didn't believe in punishment? Were you one of those "time out" kids?

I didn't get grounded until I stopped crying and about the beatings I got. But that really didn't matter either because I've never really had friends.

Google it, m8. Clinical depression in children is a very real thing, especially if it runs in the family.

>That's usually part of grounding as doing extra chores.

I see, I thought it always meant going to your room and that was it.

Another thing I find weird is american dining customs (as portrayed by cartoons and tv), like... "may I be excused?" Nigga, when I'm done I leave the table.

Yeah but not at the age you're describing you're comically overexaggerating this.

I was a foster kid I got punished but it was never the same as grounding. I was never really grounded grounded because time outs are a liberal concept for faggot skinned parents to much of a pussy to implement using the belt.

This. I only got more chores.

I have never heard that term used in real life but we did have a version of prayer at the table

We had to stare at our food for 30 seconds and if we talked at all during that session we were forced to do it again.

It was so dumb. No one at my foster home was religious it was a legal loophole they had to follow on the off chance we would ever get a foster kid who believed in magic sky fairies

Clinical depression can appear in a kid as early as 6 years old. Look it up.

I meant when it came to personal life. They /really/ liked to micromanage my life before this and they sat me down one day saying that I'd need to plan when to study and everything myself. The time I snook out was before that, and again it was to go to a robotics club meeting which was around one in the morning or some shit. It was probably the worse thing I've ever done as a child.

>MFW I was never caught.

I did explain how the club I was part of did have ridiculously late meetings I wanted to attend to them after we had our talk. They were cool with it since it was close.

When it came to chore the only chore I was good at was Trash

Man senpai give me the filthiest trash can you got I am fucking down on that

But do not fucking EVER give me dishes...I hate that chore to death right next to sweeping. I'll fucking clean bathrooms before I sweep a fucking thing.

you're on Sup Forums with the rest of us, so that's debatable

Never got grounded, I always managed to enjoy being in my room even if the took everything I liked from it, so they switched to beating the crap out of me, and emotional torture.

I was punished similar to that in real life, but never once heard the term "grounded" used by my parents or other kids my age.

You would have to have the world's most terrible start to life ever and to have them over not having any internet leads me to believe you're lying out your ass.

I feel like if you knew where the place was on foot and you could still make it back home safe and sound your parents should have been OK with it

Namely because Curfews are another liberal construct.

I was a recluse as a child anyway because we had a PC and Unreal Tournament so i got hit instead.

Are you not from America? Americans get "grounded" all the time.

>>Having the main character sit in a corner as punishment
>>The dunce cap

This shit is only in cartoons though.

Grounded does sound a lot like a meme word doesn't it?

Usually when my privileges were taken away i'd work on writing stories.

Look up Supernanny on YouTube I assure you being sit in the corner is a real thing and its ineffective as fuck

Its like sitting in the square during recess.

>Unreal Tournament

Proper reboot when? We already hit the right notes with the Doom reboot which is fucking hysterically fun.

Not them, but just to throw some anecdotal shit in:

I was contemplating suicide at like 8 and did some self-harming behaviors when I was stressed.

I didn't have a particularly shitty childhood and my parents weren't abusive so depression seems possible in that case.

sounds like you were heavy addicted to the net dude, are you any better nowadays with usage?

same
>tfw you get beat with a belt then cautiously boot up a game of Starcraft when dad leaves

Standing in the corner is a thing

There has to be a reason you can't just wanna kill yourself for no reason at all

I wanted to kill myself because I got bullied in Junior High and High School. I'm shocked I didn't become either a drug dealer or a Columbine case with how often I got bullied

Some Chad faggot shat in my backpack on the first day of school.

It's even better when you have to hold 3 quarters on the wall with your fingers and nose or you get hit.

>tfw never got disciplined as a child

Not seriously I mean.

Instead I got sent to a psychologist. It did nothing to help.

Seriously look up "Supernanny" this bitches policy on how to deal with fucked up kids is ordering them to sit in the corner and to keep placing them in said corner until they comply

I miss the days when people just used the belt

My friend Nolan got beat with the belt every time he did something wrong and he grew up to be a weed dealer and a heroine addict

Brain chemistry? I dunno man

Are you South Korean?

I had an alleged sex offender as my therapist once. Every session he wanted me to walk on his back with my bare feet because he was a carpenter who suffered from back and neck pain.

Were your parents heavy drinkers/smokers?

Just a 90's kid XD

My family's mental health history is horrifyingly impressive. Genes are one hell of a drug, m8. And of course I'm not saying that grounding caused my depression or anything stupid like that, it just aggravated it and made it more noticeable.

Eh. Not in regards to the Internet, but better in terms of my quality of life. I have a long, complicated history, but I don't want to turn this into a personal blog.

But the gist of it is, I have extreme clinical depression, situational general anxiety disorder, and OCD "tendencies." I also have extreme hypersensitivity issues, particularly regarding touch and sound. Small child me had a really rough time entirely due to my own neuroses.

I had this guy for a year and I hated going to him I was forced to see him every Tuesday after school and I was already uninterested in the very idea of being a foster kid in general

My mom was a meth addict and my father was an alcoholic and compulsive liar

my mom also suffered from "Explosive disorder" which is when your rage is so uncontrollable you go into a hysterical fit of ultra violence.

Not that I'm aware of.

I was never diagnosed with anything because I kept those things secret, but in retrospect it was really abnormal.

Never got grounded, because there wasn't much to take away.
Had to sit in the corner a few times.
Most frequent punishment was spanking with a hand, and only a handful of times did my dad use his belt for it.

That doesn't make any kind of fucking sense

I don't believe your accusation.

Never got spanked. I was more Mentally and Psychologically abused then physically

I was beat with a belt more so from my mom's ex-boyfriend then I was from my actual dad.

That fucking sucks, man. I'm sorry.

This is probably why I was never grounded because my parents couldn't take care of themselves much less me or my Bi-Polar brother Thorton.

My parents stopped grounding me when they learned that I liked being in my room because I could entertain myself by reading or something.

And they couldn't take away my books because that would look fucking awful if anyone ever heard about it with how important kids reading is, you think they'd risk me not liking reading just to discipline me? Nah.

So they eventually gave up and honestly I didn't do much to deserve it. I was the chill kid.

asian here

never grounded a day in my life

Grounding didn't really work for me.
>can't go outside
Okay, I'll play inside.
>can't see friends
Okay, I'll play alone
>can't play vydia
Okay, I'll play with toys
>get toys confiscated
I'll draw or read, no parents stop their kids from reading.

Checkmate atheists.

Your dad didn't beat the mom's ex boyfriend

My parents would just belt me every now and then
I'd probably do the same to my children

You speak lies I bet you got an A- and they fucking disowned you.

The only way they'd ever take your books away is if they were comic books or manga

They'd never take away any books that didn't have any pictures in them.

Never got grounded, but whipped with 'whip stick' exact 10 times per breaking rules.

Asian parenting sure is scary

>tfw my parents were permissive as fuck

The only time I really remember getting punished was when me and my friend got caught throwing balloons full of chocolate syrup at some dickhead kid's house. It wasn't even a punishment, they just gave me a short talk like "you can't be doing things like that, you know better than that, etc." and that was it.

Not accusing anyone of anything, and I haven't really researched or deeply analyzed what was going on so I'm not stating as a definite that I 100% had depression.

Just saying I did some things as a child that I sort of read as that now, especially since they've recurred at different points in my life since then.

Not all kids respond to getting their shit slapped.

My older sister got spanked hard a single time and after that she didn't do jack shit to annoy our parents that much.

I didn't do much misbehaving of that caliber but I too got spanked once with a belt and I wised up.

My little sister has gotten so much corporal punishment it's ridiculous, it got to the point where she'd get spanked then immediately throw it back at my mom saying that she's abusing her. Just didn't work, she could get beat within an inch of her life and not learn the lesson.

Go sit in the corner user and think about being an oppressive little shitlord

Was spending a year in prison based on assault charges on my mom's ex boyfriend.

Fucking do it there are misbehaving little shits in real need of the belt anyway.

You mean the things horse racers use to make their horses run faster?

Yeah they were all legit books, I just read a bunch so "go to your room for 4 hours!" became "cool I don't have to do chores and get to read for 4 hours".

>all those people who got the belt
My dad would just slap the smartass out of me.

My dad used wooden spoons on my sister once. Only time she acted up.

I got grounded all the fucking time.
And the funny thing is, up until a certain point in time, my dad would just pull my hair. Sometimes in the feet not touching the ground kind of way.
And I would've taken that over being grounded, every goddamn time.

>Every session he wanted me to walk on his back with my bare feet because he was a carpenter who suffered from back and neck pain.

What the fuck.

Mine just was an incompetent fuck, he was the school psychologist and I went to private therapy with him. I don't him he gave a shit.

You basically got a smack on the cheek for being a prick.

You sound like a fucking attention whore.

Dipshit children love challenging authority and will fight back if you let them take advantage of you

That's why you need to be the one to hit them harder till they fucking learn.

>Fucking do it there are misbehaving little shits in real need of the belt anyway.
Yeah doesn't matter if user's kids are little shits, when in doubt might aswell just beat them. Wouldn't want that belt going to waste would we.

>balloons full of chocolate syrup
What the hell, man?

I can assure you my mom and dad punished her to the maximum that wouldn't be a flagrant crime. She just never figured it out, it just made her angrier like a Hulk inside a small blonde 12 year old girl.

My favorite book is 1984

My co-worker would lightly smack my head with a wooden spoon everytime I back sassed her it was hilarious.

You should be greatful you didn't get scalped user.

I've had much better therapists since then.

shit man, my mom had levels of ground. She spanked until she realized that we would "just take the pain" which would last a bit and then wear off or just get better at not getting caught. We had groundings where we didn't go out with friends or doing after school activities. even if the whole family went on a vacation trip and you were grounded, you would come along but watch everyone do shit like swimming or going on hikes. And then there was restriction which was worse. You lost your tv, radio, books, activities, and occasionally holidays. Your ass would sit in an empty room room all day only coming out to go to the restroom, or do chores. you ate your food in the room. My poor brother got restriction for three months for stealing stickers from a book at Borders. He lost Halloween, thanksgiving and Christmas.

The trick is consistency. My mom was consistent with me, my little brother and one of my little sisters, but not with the other two little sisters. Those two man.. Somehow at some point My mom was getting it in her head that by recruiting the boyfriends of my sisters into "modifying" their behavior would help her.. It just fucked things up more. One sister got knocked up in an abusive relationship with her boyfriend and the other got addicted to drugs and pulled into breaking into peoples houses with her boyfriend.

I see

Because I have 3 kids and I've had to beat up a guy who thought he could smack my son around

No we sure as fuck wouldn't

It could have been worse you could have loaded a super soaker with hot sauce and urine

She sounds like she would become a Social Justice Warrior

>no books
Literally worse than prison. I hope at least you didn't get ass-raped.

Hitting your children is your own privilege not the privilege of someone else.

Is this a stealth GoAnimate thread?

>It could have been worse you could have loaded a super soaker with hot sauce and urine
That just sounds like it would be bad for the super soaker. Who wants their squirt gun stinking of piss and tabasco.

I only got grounded a handful of times, and each time I would just cry really hard until my parents felt bad/got annoyed and cut the grounding short. Usually took about 30 minutes for them to give in.