Alternative flags / vexillology

Post cool flags, real or fictional.

Proof of concept of a Republican Portuguese flag with its true colours.

The white/blue are switched from the monarchic flag to get some difference out of it, and the crown and armilar sphere have been removed for a simpler, more modest design.

Same idea, except going in the more pompous, formal direction.

We have both a formal and informal coat of arms, so this is like the "formal" flag.

>inb4 the red and green were a mistake
I fucking know it ;_;

And this is a meme one with Galiza's symbols on top of it.

yeah with red and green you look african tier, your national colours were better. shame people don't use it anymore.

red and green only looked good on belarus and transnistria but they're sovoks so.

OC Do not steal
an independent Mozambique from 1840. 25% Portuguese (mostly in the south but also northern coast), 30% Shona (western border), and 30% Makua (north) by the year 1892. All other ethnic groups that weren't wiped out were oppressed.
They hate Boers, so they helped the British during the Boer wars, they also fought a war against Oman for control over Zanzibar and Tanzania and won but lost a war against the German Empire and had to give it up

They're free-masonry colours, and they came at a time where African flags were just their masters' flags anyway. But you're right, it sucks.

At least our anthem is GOAT.

Looks like the logo for a beer brand.

Our best flags were the very first ones.

flag of the libertarian party

>MUH WHEAT AND SHIT

>triple monarchy
JUST

Wheat is one of their most proudest symbols

ahem

Imagine that country was part of the modern world and a child was told to draw their flag

no more

This one's real tho, some kid probably had to draw it back in the day

If Italy stole Greenland's flag this is what it would look like

I don't know why this is in my folder but i'm running out anyways

Flags with geographic boundaries/maps on them are fucking ugly.

Hoe your toes off and shoot yourself with an AK.

newfoundland provincial flag is neat

Nice flag.

Flag of Australia and New Zealand if the two countries unified I guess

flag of the world.

usuĊ„ to

I prefer the old one

G20 flag (stretched)

I actually really like the red and green one. It has something dignified to it and is really aesthetic when hanging in the wind.
The blue and white design would rather fit some brigade or royal/military/authorative representation.

Yeah, I don't think the red and green are that bad, I just overly prefer the blue and white because of their meaning.

It's especially bad that in such a sea-related coastal country, from the celtic/celtiberian/cavemen fishermen to the discoveries, has no blue on its flag.

Red and Green need to be slightly darker for it to work (like Lithuania), but ours are too bright and saturated, so the flags lose colour in the sun in an ugly and cheap-looking way that blue wouldn't. Especially the red.

Neat.

But for it to be full-Portugal style, the shields need to be square with a round semi-circle at the bottom, it needs a sash and they need a 5-tower golden castle on top, being that they are capitals.

Also, the gyronnies don't have to match the shields (most don't), although they would look better if they did. Pic related is my city's monstrocity of a coat of arms in a pretty weird arrangement of colours (they are meant to resemble one street's flowering trees' colours, and they are meant to feel royal-ish, since Coimbra was the old capital and has always had an important role as the cultural/intellectual centre of the country up until the XX century.

kinda like the idea of surrounding an eagle with 50 stars

>But for it to be full-Portugal style, the shields need to be square with a round semi-circle at the bottom, it needs a sash and they need a 5-tower golden castle on top, being that they are capitals.
I know. But I was too lazy to create that and most cities don't have mottos anyway.

That's fair enough

Okay I'll give you that.
I think the imperial German flag is more aesthetic as well but I would prefer our current one, when it comes to the actual meaning.

I don't really like the tricolours for the most part, but the Estonian and German are the best ones. For some reason, the Belgian one does not have the same harmony despite having the same colours.

What are the current meanings of the German flag? I imagine the red is for blood or something.

We got the red and green from a masonic house that helped the republican revolution, but they were then assigned to hope and blood shed in battle, but that's bullshit. The blue and white had no meaning either, other than representing the country/crown.

Brazilian naval jack. I wish this could be our national flag instead, it looks very cool and classy.

One version is that it's derived from the uniforms of a corps that fougth during the liberation wars against Napoleon.
Black jackets, with red parts on the arms and golden buttons.
We know for sure they come from this time and came up with the actual German nationalism since before that, it was a loose confederation of hundreds of duchies n shiet.

A more poetic version is the interpretation of "from darkness (black), through blood (red), into the light (gold)" even though that is rather unofficial and added afterwards.

In the end the colours basically stand for the unity and freedom of the German people as one.

I don't like rectangular flags with a central division. Maybe because of Portugal and Spain's flag, I always feel like it should be offset towards the hoist like our coats of arms.

That said, I liked the Monarchic flag of Brazil. Minus the state stars thing. It's so tacky, even in the American flag, and are just too small of a detail to include each of them.

It's also surprising that the diamond shape is so rare in flags in general, despite being so distinctive and easy to draw.

Neat.

The black-white-red colours are just put together out of the colours of Prussia (black and white) and the hanseatic cities that often used red and white btw.

>the colours of Prussia (black and white)
Is this linked to the Teutons? I know that deucht and teut are connected ethymologically, and they also had those colours.

Yeah, the German/teutonic order.
Didn't they establish Christianity in Poland and so on during a few crusades or something?
But yeah, that's what it comes from.

Neat.

Portugal and Brazil are the last remaining heirs of the templars. We have their cross as national symbols (it was in Brazil's monarchy flag and on our ships' sails and crown jewels).

We renamed it "Order of Christ", and it bifurcated when Brazil became independent, and they are still the highest military order's honours for both our countries.

OC donut steel