Weekend Sup Forums creation thread

Or /coc/ thread if that's what you look for in the catalog.

Wiki:
the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sup Forumsnservatory_Wiki

Doc:
docs.google.com/document/d/1b_kW_QkFSAeCjGVP51kVG6J10gR8YLStcNpzPh-ARC0/edit

Last weekend's thread:
desustorage.org/co/thread/83473908/

Other urls found in this thread:

the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/The_Pineapple_Cake/Ship_Logs
the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Extraterrestrial_Species_in_the_Sup
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Last thread:

-New pics
-Talking about where in the space setting Sup Forumssmic beings should fit in
-July DeForthe and how her time to shine is coming up soon
-New Golden Girl pics and comic (pic related)
-Manly Men on Quests support group?
-What gods in the setting are

Some of the other new stuff from last thread.

Jetpack Viking has been a popular sketch subject lately.

If there are many different versions of the Golden Attendant living on the giant space jellyfish, Belvraik, have the built a golden city on it?

Odds are Ladybug will get exactly what she's asking for.

weekly bump.

pic angers me!

the american flag is the most opressive flag in existence! take that pic down!

i want Sup Forums to leave now!

Since it looks like we're in for another slow thread, I might as well ask again what anons like to see in space settings.

Space Whales

Do space whales eat space krill?

Well I guess if there's giant space jellyfish and giant space worms there can be space whales too.

Is that lips or a moustache?

Lips.

I see, it's just how I saw it.

No offense intended.

I don't think any offense was taken.

Dr. Castle is underutilized.

What's the firecracker trade like in the /coc/ setting?

Are there any special fireworks made by characters who have powers to make impossible things with the right materials?

Would space krill metabolize solar winds?

Well she specially is a super gadget-hero that makes all her own tools and has a particular focus on explosions.

Eisernes Kreuz, the Iron Cross, master german engineer and pioneering scientist. Descendent of secret german and japanese science initiatives with their roots in Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany now he fights to put their unspeakable work to good use.

Can The Iron Cross escape his past or is he forever damned by the sins of his fathers?

I'm fond of pulp scifi myself. need more green lanterns and novas doing space shit, more han solos and lando calrissians and kirks and siscos.

Never been in one of these before. Who is that hot woman in the title pic and where can I find more pics of her?

That's Silver Queen, Golden Age superheroine and mentor to Golden Girl, the kid sidekick that puberty hit like a truck.

Since GG is the main character of the concept, SQ actually has very little solo art.

colonization stories can be fun.

>Sins of the father

WHOA-HOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAA

notsureifmockingcomplimentingorboth.jpg

More of the latter than the former, I can assure you.

This feels like it's more for a "work on your art" thread, for some reason. How many new people don't know what /coc/ "universe" entails ITT? Not trying to be an asshole, I'm actually curious.

well thanks, though I admit to being fond of cheese so mock away. (not my art btw, kind drawbro on /tg/)

he's meant to be a sort of play on Iron Man's Armor Rivals/Villains. A half jap/half german baby rescued from division 731/Mengele experiments who grows to inherit Imperial Japanese and Nazi supertech that he uses to fight badguys and engage in technological development and industrialism and stuff.

Well we have space cops established, now we just need some major conflict.

you have space empires? need those for interstellaer tensions. space religion too. finally space business for space crime.

I think Marvel literally has a dude in power armor named Iron Cross that fought in WW2 and survived for a hundred years, going from being a guy fighting for his country against superheroes to a guy trying to atone for his previous actions.

Not saying anything negative by bringing it up, "everything has been done" so there being another concept in the wide world of fiction with some similarities is just a coincidence, more like simply sharing a piece of trivia.

heroes I had no idea this dude existed. go figure.

my guy was meant more as a 60s science hero out to fight SPECTRE/HYDRA groups and clash with aging WW2 villains. Helmut Gruler is a German Atoning for Nazi Germany, Wilhelm Oda is a victim of fascist powers who's inherited their works

*as much as I love armored heroes

We have had a couple space empires in a couple of alien characters' backstories, but those are still just things in backstories.

I've wanted to work in the refinements of them in the space setting, but there's been very little interest in that and the space setting in general.

I'd like to help but my PC is bricked and I'm on my phone so long term typing is out. Google docs may not play nice with my PS3 but later I can hop on that and try to rattle out some space organizations.

In terms to space stuff, this is one of the things I was doing a while ago in the threads:
the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/The_Pineapple_Cake/Ship_Logs

Mostly just to see what I could come up with. I feel like it's all rather dry. I'll get back to it eventually, but having other people to play off of probably would've lead to it being better than what it is currently.

There's also:
the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Extraterrestrial_Species_in_the_Sup Forumsverse
for lore stuff.

The PKs have smashed about 3 space empires. They were formed to combat some kind of uplifter race, then smashed a couple other empires who were using salvaged genetic engineering tech from them.

As for active empires, there's some guy called Nyxiontus who likes flaunting his power and messing with other races. He's more classically evil than modern evil, he plays by some kind of old code where if the hero was "heroic" enough in his own eyes, then they get to win for the day.

will look over it later, should be neat.

I find myself annoyed by the Facerinti..
and the general use of the word 'Solar' for scifi.

Sol is the name of our sun. The Solar System is our system. alien systems should be named after their sun

end nerd rant.

Consider it something lost in translation then.

For instance, if an alien species were to exist and have solar technology much like ours, what else could we call it? Calling it dabinokar technology doesn't really tell you what it is. A lot of the times you need to take contextual liberties with these things.

Star System

Stellar Titan

Sun Panels. I won't give you solar panels it's not 'solar technology' they're Photo Voltaic cells.

even beyond the nitpicking on stuff like solar systems aliens shouldn't call their champion a solar titan. Stellar Titan or Sun Lord maybe.

there's better words for this.

'lost in translation' is a lazy excuse.

I'm not going to bother arguing that since I'm not the one who named it.

Here's a pic of the thing when Nyxiontus stole it because he could.

Looks demonic. Also like pink lemonade

Star Titan or whatever works.

look if you actually want to build a wide ranging interstellar environment to explore you have to be careful with names.

sure we have shit like cities named paris in the USA but in worldbuilding consistency is important.

and I dunno, vague parralax/ion vibes from that thing.

imtentional I suppose.

Well it is being controlled in that instance by some kind of... anime(?) space villain parody.

Parody often ends up serving as the foundation of projects around here. It's best not to take things too seriously.

REEEEEEEEER
I did say nerd rant didn't I? there's a cult of chili farmers up there. don't worry about just venting excess autism. anything on tjis galactic peaceforce in the wiki?

There's no page about the PKs on the wiki yet. The organization doesn't even have an official name. Galactic Peace Keepers is just what we've been using as a place holder for like a year now.

They're sort of like the Green Lanterns in that they take members from any advanced civilization. They have sectors too (jurisdictions), but each one is run differently. Some just maintain the peace and act as space cops, but in other sectors they're more like a mafia. It depends on which species are the most prolific in each sector and how much horrible shit is in them.

A transfer from one region to the next will see the differences in protocol immediately.

In the Azalfi regions, they have strict "defend only, no planetary surface presence" policies and most members from that race are individuals who don't work in the established society.
We haven't gotten into why the Azalfi empire turned to heavily favoring self-preservation and keeping most of their people ignorant to their heritage yet since that's part of a character's story.

ok that's good. what's their tech work on? where did they get it from? would it be unusual for someone to have similar tech if they're from a sufficiently advanced culture?

Their "uniforms" are a mix of physical armor and hard light emitters. It comes from a collaboration between the races that banded together to fight off the uplifter race.

Certain species incorporate non-standard technology into their uniforms. There's some resentment towards the Ometetols in the PK's ranks since they are the only ones compatible with their symbiotes, which gives them a number of advantages on top of the tech. It's more jealousy than anything, but there's still hostilities towards races that do extensive genetic engineering, so Ometetol are often caught in the crossfire.
Ometetols also tend to have organic tech, even for space travel, but they can't do FTL with it.

Teuthoids are a race that's not part of the PK system, their tech is about at the same level, but they have more advances in genetic engineering.

It's not spindly enough, it could be lankier.

What do we have left in terms of scripts?

Here's a new one from last thread

>PANELS 1-2: establishing shots of SQ and GG arriving and meeting the other superheroines
>"Sometimes Silver Queen brings me to [team name] meetings. They're superheroines who get together to save the world, or swap crimefighting tips, or just catch up."

>PANEL 3: the other superheroines treat GG with the sort of semi-distant affection adults usually give a friend's kid they don't see very often
>"They always tell me I'm developing into quite the superhero myself."

>PANEL 4: GG silently takes note of the fact that all the superheroines have fairly ample bosoms
>"And I've noticed they're all pretty 'developed'..."

>PANEL 5: GG looks down at her own chest, raising an eyebrow at the realization that she's the biggest one in the room
>"...But I think I might already be the most 'developed' one here!"

and an old one

-Panel one GG jolts out of bed because a hero alarm is going off
-Panel two she's struggling to get her costume on while running (like hopping on one leg)
-Panel three she gets stuck in the door on her way out
-Panel four she's dealing with the speed of the bike causing her boobs to not be cooperative (they're bouncing into her face repeatedly in the sidecar if she's in the sidecar)
-Panel five she's punching a purse snatcher in the face
-Panel six ggcivicduty.png

and there's at least a couple more somewhere in the archives.

>Panel six ggcivicduty.png
Searched the archive for that. Didn't it just get put into the alphabet one?

Yeah, there's one in the A-Z of that. She's helping an old lady carry things in that instance of civic duty though.

>remembered that idea about some 1800s person going to the magical world to build a house near a pond

Why didn't we just make them magical Thoreau going to magical Walden pond?

Even the gender of that proposed character idea was disputed.

I ended up recycling some of the not-Redwall stuff into the imp village Erin visited.

An earlier design on the PKs.

Let's see if this thread makes it to morning.

To be honest it makes more sense as a man. What with the true events of Thoreau going to Walden, or Orwell going to Jura, compared to the fictional events of Far From the Madding Crowd or Little Forest.

STANDING

>The Jagged Knife Syndicate
>A cut throat criminal organization that uses corporate foundations as it's public face. Theft, Assassination, Slave Labor, Unethical Experimentation; nothing is beyond them. They mainly operate out of the Forgotten Zone, an area of space whose maps, census data and so on were intentionally purged from every active empire's data banks via an alliance of various illicit factions several hundred years ago. Modern Empires like thw Two Sun Imperium and the Free Star Concordat are doing their best to settle the region but the locals are insular and unfriendly at best and xenophobic and homididal at worst.

How big a region are we talking here?

Presumably big enough to be worth the effort to settle it.

Seems like it'd be made up of the space between a couple of galactic arms.

I am at the crossroads between waking and dream.
One path leads back to the world I left behind. The other path...
The other path leads to a place of shadows.
Between the familiar and the unknown, between certainty and doubt, my choice would seem obvious.
Any sane man would turn around, return to the world he knows, forget what he has learned, and live his life in blissful ignorance.
But in truth, it is too late. My choice was made many years ago, when I first embarked on this journey. I cannot turn back.
I am at a crossroads, but for me there is only one path.
I leave behind these words in the hope that, someday, they will serve as a map for someone else.
To whomever reads this, Godspeed on your journey. If you ever decide to follow in my footsteps, look me up.
-Brian Westhouse

enough for an empire and petty criminal ambitions. several hundred star systems is small in the grand order of things but pretty big in terms of yerritory and opportuinity

That reminds me, when was made, this is what was happening
>I guess what I'd really like is a space villain with charisma. Someone who can put on a show and still go toe-to-toe with the PKs without getting stomped.
>Like they've got a whole section of space they've managed to hold onto somehow and they're being classically evil about it instead of "modern realistic evil" which I find very dull and often times wishy-washy.
>Someone who doesn't deny being evil or pretend not to be evil, but openly admits that they're evil and flaunts it. Like an Evil Emperor Zurg or Hank Scorpio type almost.

And that was applied to the guy in Captain Stocking Arms' backstory.

I'll take it if we make classic evil villain one of the local forces rather than lord of the place.

Might want to run that by me again.

Nyxiontus, the purple guy, is supposed to be pretty damn powerful. He's supposed to have control over a decent amount of system and enough of a power to not get stomped by the PKs.

He's the guy who's more "personably" classically evil I think.

I.E. give him his own petty empire in the forgotten zone but he doesn't own and run it. it's meant to be a place where badguys can hang out without worrying about hero involvement. so it'd have your megacorps and cartels and space tyrants meeting up every couple of months to discuss pushing back settlers or destroying that new PK outpost.

So like a doom and latveria kinda situation

Nice attempt at bait kid.

Here's your (You)

pretty much

only the heroes won't arbitrarily respect his nation head status and create pointlessly complex plotlines where latveria isn't nuked despite doom presenting that kind of threat.

it's a big space frontier that criminals created to be criminal in. presumably this guy was in at the start.

I'd say make him the absolute ruler of a significant enough portion of space to be considered a threat, and at the same time so much space that there are large swathes of it he isn't really paying much attention to.

There are all sorts of territorial bickering between megacorps, criminal syndicates, or raiders, but the instant he steps foot on any planet they all shut up, stand down, and obey for as long as he's around, because he could smite any of them in a hearbeat. He just doesn't really care enough to at any given moment.

I think he's in it for the thrills.

He's set up this huge space filled with criminals because he wants someone to play the role of "good guy" since he can't be the villain he sees himself as if he doesn't have "good guys" trying to beat him.

He doesn't pull any punches though, if you're calling yourself a hero and can't stand up to him, then he'd sooner wipe you off the face of the galaxy then let you keep calling yourself a hero.

nah not feeling it. I hate Doom because he's been wanked so much. Oh hey he didn't fail that was a doom bot. oh hey doom is actually an altruist the only timeline where things turn out all right is the one where he rules the world. I'm sick of villains who show up slap their dick on the table and take over stories. make him aking with armies and fleets fine but he doesn't get to be the strongest villain in the forgotten zone. you want that just give him his own petty empire it's simpler. I don't want other villians obeying some 'honorable' mustache twirling shmuck just because he has the spotlight. He's a big villian, big whoop. Far as I'm concerned he should just be a shark in the ocean, always a bigger fish.

>some 'honorable' mustache twirling shmuck

You're definitely not feeling it, no.

exaggerating it somewhat. I just want this to be a zone for lots of villains. you seem to want this to be a place for one guy. I want a hive of scum and villainy not one guy's playground.

to take the idea further I want like an entire council of villians who run the place. Like if Lothar from Voltron and Skeletor went to business meetings to discuss who gets what crazy techno sorcery crap every month and occasionally they scrap over who gets what.

There should be a representative of the remnants of the empire that Pleasurepuss was enslaved to, a representative of the remnants of the empire that used huge space monsters to concur territories, probably a representative of smugglers, some space mafia guys, and Nyxiontus too.

The two different empires that only have remnants left were both smashed by the PKs.

easiest way to look at this is Egotism versus Profit. You have dozens of Space tyrants but ehatshisname is the biggest stringest one and treats the whole empire thing like a hobby, maybe a game of Civ.

a good counterpoint for him would probably be a (maybe literal) ice queen who runs an unethical business empire.

fine by me. just need characters for it though.

any details on how FTL works?

E.Z.C.

Exploitation/Evil Zone Council depending on who you ask.

something somethingmake it EZ Sleezy

FTL is just something we have that just works in the setting. We're just going with Star Wars logic for it and ignoring time dilation for the most part in favor of more pulp-y space stories.

We've come up with a few ideas over the years, and those were mostly placed in the /coc/ space doc that's linked to in the doc in the OP.

In the setting Dr. Castle (Carinids) and Springtime have been doing a collaboration on getting orbiting star gates up and working, they take a while to get in place, but once they're in place, you can just go from one to the other.

I was thinking of going with the usual wormholes, hyperlanes, warp trifecta and making the stuff remnants of shattered empires. well some of it anyway.

hyperlanes are a sort of node network that goes fro. system to system. wormholes require gates. warp is the 'slowest' of FTL methods but the cheapest and most widely used I'd think

Some of it is probably at least partially built on the bones of the Azalfi empire.

what about the rather unimaginatively named uplifters?

What if that just was the Azalfi?

Their empire collapsed and they recused themselves so long ago that nobody even really remembers it was them. If they went around uplifting a bunch of species before fucking off, there might not be any reliable records of it.

the uplifters are described as living wire bundles on the wiki. and if I'm perfectly honest founding galactic civilization on the back of blue space elves whose social workings are inexplicable and mostly one guy's side project doesn't thrill me.

faceless precursors I can do anything with. Blue Space Amish who somehow have multiple space colonies are harder to work with.

No name was given to them. If the space setting ever pics up again, they'll probably get a name eventually.

Right now I think their name is like a swear word among other races. Getting the name out of someone should be a plot point.

A lot of our stuff just never gets named and we're saddled with placeholders for years on end.

>"So if you could just sign for this..."

i recently read and enjoyed superman for all seasons and was really impressed by the art. personally i thought it was the most detailed and impressive art i've seen out of tim sale so far.

so anyway i figured id take a stab at drawing one of the full page panels. i've actually gone a lot further than this but the colors look kind of yucky with my limited pallet

Makes me think Boss Imp on the demon planes would expand services to space once he finds out about all the other things out there.

From the dark hallways of secret lairs comes the cry "ALL FOR ONE!" These are the servants of ONE!

Yes, ONE,a global organization dedicated to gaining capital and political influence. This secret society dates back generations and seeks to subvert and control allworld governments in the name of THE FIRST!

Can any hero hope to oppose their diabolical power plays?!