Why do people in the northern countries buy "winter beaters" instead of just putting snow tires on their nice car?

Why do people in the northern countries buy "winter beaters" instead of just putting snow tires on their nice car?

that car is a joke

Which northern countries do this? Winter tires are required by law here and in most of Scandinavia if not all.

Pretty sure that's just Quebec which mandates them. Lots of people in the rest of Canada and the northern US buy dedicated winter cars.
lol post yours

Is it just because of they need larger batteries and thicker anti rust painting on chassis?

Some people have "cabin cars", like 20 year old G-wagons and Land Rovers they only use when they go to the cabin. They are still obligated to use winter tires on their dayily drivers if the conditions demand it though.

Never heard of this. I'm in the Maritimes so even having a working vehicle with valid licsence, registration, and inspection is quite the luxury. Having a driver's liscene at all is the biggest luxury though and only possible due to our rural lifestyle

>winter beaters
what is?

Road salt destroys cars so they don't want to see a car they like turn into a rotting pile of rust in 5-7 years.

Because people are retarded and don't know to drive. I've been driving RWD through winters for years with no problem and this is NJ where we get nasty snowstorms/blizzards

>Lots of people in the rest of Canada and the northern US buy dedicated winter cars.
That sounds really fucking expensive. Do you have an annual car registration system?

In my province there is an annual registration, licensing, and safety inspection, plus compulsory auto insurance on all vehicles.

Can leaves drive a stick?

Sounds more or less exactly the same as rego in Australia. How much does that sort of thing cost? Down here you are looking at between 500 and 1000 dollars for a single car for a year. Having your car out of rego for something like six months requires the individual to get a more heavy duty slip from a mechanic, meaning it has to undergo a costly and intense mechanical evaluation.
A massive revenue system, essentially. A pity the money which is intended to be used to improve roads, etc. end up in the hands of lazy, greedy, incompetent and corrupt council so you may as well be paying an extra 30% in rego just to line the pockets of individuals as an indirect kickback.

In the suburb where I used to live, the brother in law of my supervisor had spent decades working for the local council and they routinely stashed away thousands ever year for off the books end of year party funding. They made it appear as though they were short on funds in order to receive more funding throughout the year for projects, but the money itself didn't even go towards said projects.
Pretty fucked but the bureaucracy ensures that sort of shit never gets properly investigated. They must have siphoned hundreds of thousands of tax payer dollars over the past handful of decades.

Manuals are more common here than US or Japan, but not nearly as common as they are in Europe and most people still prefer automatic. That being said, I've never actually seen a BRZ, WRX, Miata, or Mustang GT that was automatic.

>buying a fast car with automatic transmission

why

Meant for

Idk about other northern countries but people here don't have money for two cars unless they do cars as a hobby.

That's because finlands insanely high taxes on cars.

Obviously, for one i enjoy my early 2000's Toyota corolla though thank you very much.

Winter beaters are bought by people for the sole purpose of driving like an absolute retard, which quite often leads you to fuck up your car. Fucking up your nice car isn't fun

Fucking rich ass oil niggers

>>G-wagons and Land Rovers
Those must be ridiculously expensive in Norway