Neill Blomkamp: "Chappie was unbelievably painful for me"

>Chappie was unbelievably painful for me. That was difficult on several levels. But the thing with Chappie was, it felt like it was extremely close to the film I had in my head. Up until the film came out, I felt like I had given my all, and that I'd tried my hardest to make the film I had in my head, and I felt like I achieved that.

>It put me in an interesting place, where I was needing to decide how I felt, when I create a piece of artwork that I feel positive about, and then the audience really rejects it - what does that mean? That puts you in an incredibly interesting space. I'm not judging the film based on box office merits or pure Rotten Tomatoes scores. I'm doing it because I love it, and I'm basing how I feel about it on what it makes me feel.

>So when the audience turns their back on it, it raises really interesting questions about whether it delegitimises in general. Does that mean it holds no value? Because it still holds value to me. If I react to that, so I'm only try to please the audience, then what value does the artwork have at all?

>So it put me in a very strange place for a while. I think that I completely came out of it making the right choice, which is that I'm just going to do stuff that I love. And that could actually lead to me living in the gutter. I mean it could literally lead to complete and utter collapse. But I would rather live in a dumpster, I think, being creatively honest and true to myself than not. So I think overall the result of Chappie crystallised or congealed ideas in my head in a good way.

>But I'm still upset the fact that it didn't work. I wish that it did, but it just didn't, and I still love it. I don't know what else to say, but the audience didn't get what I was going for. It didn't work.

You made him sad Sup Forums

Why didnt you like chippie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UTsEiEYfkRs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

never watched it yet
was it really shit?

He'll get over it, he's a big guy

It's a perfectly fine fun movie. Audiences are usually retarded.

>There are millions of things that were missed. But that could have been done by me in the same way - it was directed in such a way that some ideas didn't come across. For whatever reason, there were many elements that critics in general didn't pick up on them. One of them is that it's an artificial intelligence film, and it isn't. It's not about AI. Ex Machina's about AI. Chappie's not about artificial intelligence - it's meant to be asking questions about what it means to be sentient.

>The main reason for Chappie existing in my mind is because it has the most farcical, weird, comic, non-serious pop-culture tone, that is almost mocking or making fun of the fact that it's talking about the deepest things you can talk about. The fact that those two things exist in the same film is what the film is about. Because that's what the experience of life is about. It's an unknowable question, and no one's going to answer it for you.

>So it's almost a grand joke, in a sense. That was the main thing. People confuse that by saying the film was tonally all over the map. And it's because they couldn't comprehend that the tone was existing as one, united thing; it was saying, "Here's the most important thing you can talk about, wrapped up in a farcical giant joke that looks like we're all having a big laugh." And that was the point. Because that's how I view life in general.

>We could go on for hours about Chappie and where it sits. But it definitely hurt several parts of my career, I think. Those are all secondary to just the repositioning myself as an artist and just thinking about that. I mean, Elysium, I didn't feel that way. I feel like Elysium wasn't actually that good. That's the difference. I feel like I got it right with Chappie, and then when the audience turns on you, that puts you in a different place.

>man wrestles with his taste vs everyone else's
Why is this news

It's fine, really

It's worth seeing for a few scenes, but there is a lot of total nonsense.

>Parts reminded of my favorite cyberpunk rpgs.
>Rhino was a super sick villian
>production design top shelf
>Depends how you feel about Das Antwoord
>They aren't really good actors, though

Just make District 10 already. Thats the one we've been waiting for, and the original most people loved.

Yeah it's no District 9 and I figure I might watch it once more in my lifetime after the one time I saw it in theaters but it wasn't the complete shit show that Elysium was. Having multiple distinct and "wacky" characters works to it's advantage, everyone is pretty memorable from the music duo to chappie to angry hugh jackman and Lion guy.

Its complete garbage.

Main characters are some of the most annoying characters in a movie, the tone is all over the place, and it turns strangely serious by the end.

Also has PS4s being better than a supercomputer in it.

However, Hugh Jackman and the special effects are great, and the general look of everything is nice but all of Blomkamps films have that.

>Why didnt you like chippie?
Because it had potential, because it raised interesting questions but threw it all away in the end focusing more on the action aspect.

1.short circuit 1
2.short circuit 2
3.chappie

>It's not about AI. Ex Machina's about AI. Chappie's not about artificial intelligence - it's meant to be asking questions about what it means to be sentient.

The entire point of the AI discussion is about sentience you utter fucking moron.

> main reason for Chappie existing in my mind is because it has the most farcical, weird, comic, non-serious pop-culture tone, that is almost mocking or making fun of the fact that it's talking about the deepest things

Yes, you got a Looney Tunes vibe and cast non-actors known for their farcical music. But dumb audiences didn't appreciate your Tarkovsky level auteur filmmaking and "deep themes". It's not that it was a bad choice that failed horribly because it's fucking stupid. Oh no. They just didn't get it.

> People confuse that by saying the film was tonally all over the map.

Said three seconds later:

> Here's the most important thing you can talk about, wrapped up in a farcical giant joke that looks like we're all having a big laugh.

So it's tonally all over the map then? Good analysis.

>I mean, Elysium, I didn't feel that way. I feel like Elysium wasn't actually that good.

So he's not completely retarded.

>e
I'd rather not let a sequel sully my memory of D9, it's clear to me he's a hack and D9 was a flook, can't see D10 turning out to be anything worthwhile.

>"Chappie was unbelievably painful for me"

yeah it was shit for me too watch as well

What was so bad about this?

Outside of its babby tier rich v poor plot, it had some good action, effects and based Copley in it

D9 >>> Halo Ads >>>>> Elysium >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crappie

He's a big guy.

>But the thing with Chappie was, it felt like it was extremely close to the film I had in my head.

guess I can always say this if I ever become a talentless director.

No wonder the kaffirs want to kill the whites in South Africa.

>Muh ideas

This fuck's only idea is "apartheid bad okay"

>babby tier rich v poor plot

Even as an anarchist I think the main characters motivations were retarded. What happens the week after all the poorfugees invade the space station? Total Collapse.

Would this super rich elite society really subject the worker plebs to all this violence and depravity if they could just put a med bay on every corner and have them all work every day with no illnesses at 100% capacity for their fucking food stamps?
No.

>Outside of its babby tier rich v poor plot
The problem is, that was most of the movie. The action scenes were extremely few in number. Great special effects though.

It's one of those "it's okay for what it is.".
Then again, you can clearly see it tries to be more than that, so in that sense, if not shit, it's at least heavily flawed.

This is why I believe the future of film and greenlighting what gets made lies in crowd funding. Why are we still watching what these people are making when nobody asked them to make these films? Wes Anderson movies for example. Who gives a shit about those pieces of shit except him?

>a fookin' flook!

He shouldn't have put those Die Antwood faggots in it.
It may be different, but there's a reason why most of the time people cast real actors.
Also, South Africa is gay.

die antwoord was a mistake

Read that in sharlto's voice, keks had.

Apparently nightmares to work with

It has a bigger libtard message so it is shit

I'm pretty sure he just failed to express himself, since what he did was not original at all, he was just ripping off Gunnm.

Yew littu facka. Om gonna take yo head off

>underrated actor

Seriously them fuckers were as annoying as Jar Jar

Especially the guy, dumb wigger cunt.

I liked chappie

The rapping robot shit killed it for me. Otherwise it would've been decent.

Legit..............

lol must have been, totally forgot that movie existed

youtube.com/watch?v=UTsEiEYfkRs

I went to the theater to see it
It was shit, but I appreciated what he tried to do

>Why are we still watching what these people are making when nobody asked them to make these films
Because when they make something that people ask for you end up with shit like the new Star Wars and the disney/marvel movies.

>crowd funding
You get meaningless movies like The void.

Just because a director failed it doesn't mean that all directors fail, good movies are still being made but your reasoning is what is destroying creativity.

Because the movie presented in the trailer painted the movie as an existential exploration of the idea of artificial life, with the antagonists being rational people afraid of the threat an A.I. could pose by its very existence, when the actual movie was basically about a retarded robot baby being abused by shitty musicians who die like they should before being revived in a robot body.

Fucking hell.

Raised poor : insecure
Meth : paranoid schizophrenia
Fame : big ego

a perfect shitstorm of crazy

I liked the original better

yeah well at least gunm makes sense. sort of.

His all just wasn't good enough.

Chappie was shit, with shitty writing and shitty exploration of sci-fi and the artificial life concept.

>"robots are putting us on jail! oh, I know, lets kidnap someone to make a remote control for us! genius, why wouldn't this work?"
It's so bad I am not even going to bother to list all the bad there is.

If you liked chappie you should be permabanned

no recourse just lifetime ban

I wasn't for it, but I thought crowdfunding is smart from a financial perspective. I foresee studios picking a director and giving the public a choice of 3 films that they'd like to see that particular auteur make,

ie: Dennis Villanueve working under a contract for WB, who gives the people a choice of 3 movies for the director to make.
1) Harley Quinn and the Joker
2) Batman
3) Green Lantern

The movie with the most votes gets crowdfunded with prizes and giveaways as well as studio tours given to the more dedicated pledgers.

This interactive experience through the creative process of filming would generate interest in the rapidly failing industry and keep it afloat.

Number five...alive!

Honestly, District 9, a lot of the success it had was because it was a gimmicky, 'unique' movie. The whole South African thing was funny and weird but I wasn't interested in watching ANOTHER movie like that.

I get it. South Africans talk funny. Now move on.

Also, this looked like a rip-off or Real Steel to me.

What if I don't want to watch a cape movie, what if I want to watch something new that has never been made before?

Ridley cucked him out of the Alien franchise too lol

Blomkamp wants to be Ridley Scott so bad it's pathetic.

None of the characters are likable, the premise was handled all wrong and it felt like a vehicle to get a pair of South African white trash rappers into the spotlight for no reason.

I wonder if the success of D9 was Peter Jackson as producer

what the fuck is he talking about? everyone I know who saw it liked it and the basic opinion on this board was really positive back when it came out

who the fuck is he talking about if he's not taking the box office into account?

the movie had its flaws but it was a better robot movie than 90% of the other robot movies 2000+

Go to bed Neill

it was almost unanimously disliked m8

Jesus christ. In your world we'll only get sequels, Ouya: The Movie, and cape shit.
Crowd funding is just another publisher. But at least there is a slight chance that the real publisher has some actual knowledge regarding film and making film.

>the basic opinion on this board was really positive back when it came out
no, dude.
The majority here couldn't see past Die Antwoord.

All I've wanted is district 10

Looking forward to his new shorts but I have stopped hoping for him to make a decent new movie he needs help with his scripts

gibbe pussi pls, i love very much sex you like good panties in picto

everyone hated it dude

do you have autism?

>Chappie's not about artificial intelligence - it's meant to be asking questions about what it means to be sentient.

Oh great, literally the most retold pulp science fiction story ever. An angle that's been examined possibly thousands of times from every avenue.

The guy takes ideas from all sorts of sci fi, mixes them together, and adds nothing new (that is also good), all while expecting people to not notice.

I skipped Elysium, but Chappie was pretty good. I didn't care for the dude in it, but Yolandi came across naive which worked in her favor. The Mexican guy was cool too.

The biggest thing that bothered me was how hyper focused it was on Die Antwoord. It had all their art, half the soundtrack was their music, and they didn't even play characters- just fictionalized version of thesmelves. If anything dragged the movie down it was turning it into a South African music video.

And the Sony Ad

Basically this.

Enjoyment of the film depends solely on how much you can tolerate Die Antwoord. I was a fan of them, their music, and their on-stage personas long before Chappie was a thing, so I fully expected them to dominate the film and wasn't shocked when it ended up being Die Antwoord: The Movie.

That being said, I can 100% understand why someone who doesn't know/like them and their shtick would walk out hating them. Especially if they wern't expecting it.

I really liked it to be honest. His best film by far. Don't get it why everyone hates it.

so as fan die antwoord you recommend?
i seriously had no idea they were in this (however in fatty boom boom yolandi says "neil bloomkamp gonna make me a movie star" which had puzzled me"

I would enjoy?
because fucky preachy elysium

>tone is all over the place
It's a film about a cute robot in a dark world. The world tries to make him dark too, but he just becomes tough instead. Is that too complicated a narrative for normies? It's a typical story about growing up, realising everything is shit and learning how to deal with it.

That's mostly why I skipped out on watching this movie. I didn't need to see a Robocop/Short Circuit remix movie guest starring Die Antwoord. District 9 didn't really wow me with its story, so I can't say I've ever had any anticipation for any of his movies, so I didn't even bother going to see Elysium either.

I could just watch Short Circuit 2 and watch Johnny Five join Los Locos instead. It has 100% less Die Antwoord, so already it's a better film.

If you like Die Antwoord, you'll like it. It's basically an hour and a half long Die Antwoord music video with Neil Blomkamp's signature production design and action sequences.

It's awesome.

He deserves it for casting these two. They make me sick.

Dont good and original movies with bad boxoffice totals end up becoming cult classics? Sounds like hes counting up his depression eggs before opening the henhouse

>doesnt know the difference between sapience and sentience

Yeah im shre that what its about and not just bullshit you made up as damage control, meinkampf

Maybe we need to stop looking at movies like sequels now and start thinking of them as episodes like TV. The ongoing saga of characters. Let's face it, things have changed.

>good and original
>implying

They were just examples but, yes, in another scenario they would give a plot synopses or genre.

chappie was painful for everyone because it was shit

>I really liked it to be honest. His best film by far.
ditto ditto ditto
>Don't get it why everyone hates it.
mostly they're just triggered by die antwoord

Because it's shit. Every movie after District 9 has been progressively worse. Fans only cared about a followup to D9, but he said fuck you guys I'm a famous director now and made 2 shitty movies instead. Now nobody even cares about a D9 followup like they used to, and I'm fucking glad he's not getting a chance to further butcher the Alien franchise.

>People actually like Die Antwoord

Why don't studios just shut down this shit site anyways? They got billions to market with but can't send a dozen lawyers to RT and tell them to close shop?

Chappie is criminally underrated. Audiences just weren't ready for a movie about South African rappers and their impressionable robot. Copley was great though and I really didn't mind Die Antwoord, but yeah there was really no way mainstream audiences were going to embrace this.

Liked it, felt bad for chappie. Ending was pretty unique.

Their music, videos, and concerts are fun.

Die Antwoord are shit, like 80% of their songs are awful

How does that nigger have blue eyes?

Those look blue to you?

Spotted the saffa

>Take millions of dollars of investor's money
>Deliberately make a film that appeals to you and only you
>Fuck anybody who doesn't get it, I made this movie for me and me alone
>Using other people's money

Guy sounds like a real piece of shit.

Yeah, we should run every movie through focus groups and really dumb them down so all the mouthbreathers can have a good clap when it's over.

Neck yourself, pleb.

Die

huh? but it was alright though

the movie was good. fuck the redditors that hated it

You know this all sounds like a big fat lie.
Hardly any films in history are perfect and if he was a true artist he would see pretty much see only the flaws in his work.
You think your film is good enough? Fuck you it's never good enough.

"Chappie was good'
t. South African man

What the fuck where did all the Chappie shills come from?