Why do you prefer cartoons to anime?

Why do you prefer cartoons to anime?

Because every anime I watched has been formulaic garbage full of the same grab-bag of tropes. The long-winded dialogue is cringey in any language and most anime has a samey artstyle.

I can appreciate a good shounen but when 90% of them just consist of teenage boys voiced by girls whose greatest ability is to punch things really fast, it gets stale quickly.

I know this was a bait thread but I like giving my opinion.

How is anime not cartoons?

Fuck off Kiwi, stop shilling your shitty art

Anime and cartoons are the same. This is fact. But people on Sup Forums are raging autists who will throw a fit if you tell them that, so we split hairs for the sake of time.

What does anime have that cartoons do not?

Who said I preferred anything over anything? Where do you get off, putting words in my mouth!? FUCK YOU AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!!!

I don't. I watch a little of both and I really don't know why anyone feels the need to choose.

I like them both, but this board isn't for anime.

This reason.

This is something I never really understood the appeal about anime.
In western animation, there is a lot more diversity and fluidity in terms of artstyles and animation.

Don't forget high school girl settings as well, those are the biggest money makers.

I guess I grew old of anime. It's always the same old shit, but not in the good way.

"But stereotypical-anti-hero-san, you can't say these cruel things!"
"I can say these cruel things because of my INSERT FLASHBACK HERE dark secret past"
"In a way anti-hero-san is right, but I can't accept it. I will work hard to create a better world for all my comrades!"
"Yes, stereotypical-main-protagonist-kun, we are counting on you!"

Which wouldn't be so bad if I didn't spend hours watching this sort of fucking thing that usually lasts like an entire overly dramatic episode

Cartoons are predictable, but because bad guys get their asses kicked, protagonists solve problems with each other, they all have a laugh and go about living their fun lives. It's healthy (though not always)

Honestly I prefer anime. I constantly see people here giving it shit for having cliches and tropes, but it's not like the west is much better. There's so much anime that there tends to be some decent variety and I appreciate that it's not restricted by the same social stigmas as the west. (i.e. cartoons either have to be for children, or they have to be crude and ugly for adults) I dunno, it seems like when people on Sup Forums criticize anime they either have only surface level experience with it and/or close their eyes to similar flaws that western cartoons also have.

That being said, I still love western cartoons. Moreso, I'm glad that I have both western cartoons and anime available to scratch whatever entertainment itch I'm feeling. And I love seeing how much anime and cartoons have both been influencing each other in recent years.

I guess when it comes down to it, I think people should just be glad that both anime and cartoons exist to be enjoyed.

Lots of anime involve high octane action, don't do a good job of distinguishing themselves with their colour palette and do a shoddy job incorporating 3D elements.

I'm not saying they're no exceptions, but in general I'm more likely to like a cartoon. I'm also aware that the same can be to cartoons on large, I just have my pet-peeves and preferences.

I'm actually able to enjoy both but I prefer comics and manga.

Japanese have a really weird vision about how dialog and humor go

Dialog is always exposition and the emotional factor happens in light speed.They always explain what is happening or what they are feeling to the audience.It's too awkward to be adult and try to be too serious to be cartoony, and in the end don't sound like a real characters, but as someone describing them.

Humor happens like this, aways that a joke or funny moment happens they stop the show for a moment, like a moment to sink in. The "funny" characters always seem to have just one joke that they repeat through all the series. Not a "one dimensional personality", i mean, really just one joke.

I like some of them like Kill la Kill, because is fast, stupid and energetic. Ridiculous yes, but still don't makes me sleep

youre describing one specific anime genra. thats like someone saying they hate comics because its all capeshit.

I don't. I like both.

this is basically how i feel. every time i've tried to get into anime, i haven't been able to shake the feeling that i'm just fundamentally missing the point because of cultural differences. one time i asked a weeb friend of mine to explain a joke i didn't get, and i got a ten-minute lecture on japanese social mores. i ain't got time for all that

I prefer good cartoons to bad animes, and vice versa.

I don't, I like all animation equally. However, Japan usually tends to throw out a million of the same thing that it's hard to know what to check out, what's different, and what's worth your time, so I usually just end up watching cartoons more.

I think I've watched..... about five anime, maybe, all of which have been completed and I am done watching, compared to the hundreds of cartoons I have watched, with maybe a dozen or so still going and I'm in the middle of.

>most anime has a samey artstyle.
Eh i like artstyle of anime myself and that probably because i have gotten use to it over the years.

>I can appreciate a good shounen
i think you should stop shounen anime, it is shit.

I dont really, i like both but i do watch more anime because iwatch seasonal anime and yes there is alot of shit shows every season but there is decent or good shows too.

Hit the nail on the head.

I don't, my love for anime and cartoons is pretty equal.

a consistent story and good action

I like them both pretty equally, however I can't really seem to get into any anime targetted at kids aside from shonen unlike western cartoons, probably just cultural differences.

I do really appreciate how many more series aimed at older audiences there are in anime, though.

>I happen to be an expert on this, having seen Toonami sometimes.

A lot of the problems I'm seeing here has more to do with genre than the medium itself.

>Implying cartoons arn't anime
Filthy casual.

In all fairness that genre(s) people always complain about do have massive overexposure, similar to how comic books become synonymous with superheroes.

JRPGs and WRPGs are also both RPGs, doesn't mean there aren't a fuckton of differences between them.

Better pacing; better writing; far less sameface.

there aren't

>far less sameface.
I never had problem with this somehow.

I think part of that's a cultural difference with how they do storytelling. They're much more ok with having a character explicitly vocalize their thoughts while the modern western way is more of "show don't tell".

I think both ways can work well if done correctly, but I do prefer having a character's dialogue and expression reveal what they're thinking rather than having the MC voiceover their thoughts the whole time.

because every attempt at romance I've seen in anime makes me cringe

For me is that i cant watch any romance from the west but i can watch romance anime for some reason.

>Why do you prefer cartoons to anime?
What makes you think I do? More importantly, what makes you think that I prefer one broad category over another, rather than preferring specific titles over the other, more generic options in either category.

Also, provide the source for that. I'm a fan of pixel art and I'd like to know if there is more somewhere. And Google Images is no help.

story no but i agree about action

This. There's probably just as many good anime as there are as good cartoons. It's just there's so much anime out there (most of them being shit) that you can't really compare the two. But I watch both.

I vastly prefer anime for TV animation and like them more or less equally for movie animation.

Anime creates autists. More than likely the anti social losers in school were watching anime. Even people watching cartoons while older have a semblance of a life.

>Why do you prefer cartoons to anime?
But I don't.