So I finally got to reading Sandman, and there's something I don't quite get. I figured it's set in Vertigo universe...

So I finally got to reading Sandman, and there's something I don't quite get. I figured it's set in Vertigo universe, so I wasn't surprised to see Constantine, but What is Batman and Justice League doing there? I thought Vertigo and DC Universe were separate before Flashpoint?

They made one appearance, IIRC. They're not used ever again.

And that was when Vertigo was literally just the UK branch of DC. It wasn't until ~'93 that it became its own imprint, separate from the DCU.

Thanks

And even after that, some of the books still aren't separate from the main DC line, just independent.
Anything written by Gaiman applies, as far as I'm aware, and it would seem odd that Animal Man weren't still in universe with Batman even after it became a Vertigo title.

You just have to play it by ear with each title.

They appeared on The Wake again, right?
I guess that every universe shares the same dream realm.

And there's the matter with Rao, and Death talking to Lex Luthor during Blackest Night or Brightest Day.
Sandman is in the DC universe, and so is Constantine.

The two were always the same universe. Veritgo was just the dark weird corner adult corner, so they rarely interacted.

As late as the Waid/Morrison JLA they went back and forth. Death even appeared in the Black Ring, very shortly before Flashpoint.

Nobody knows why Flashpoint acted like they were separate. If DC wanted Constantine to appear in Superman at any time, he could and that would be it.

Morpheus is one of the Endless anyway, him and his possessions could very well exist in all realities. Hell, Death of the Endless showed up in the Marvel Universe for a panel or two.

>I figured it's set in Vertigo universe,

There's no such thing as "the Vertigo Universe"
There are DC mainline canon series under the Vertigo label, like Sandman which hinges heavily on characters from Infinity Inc for it's long term plot, and there are a bunch of isolated series like say, Y the Last Man that happen in their own universe.

Flashpoint lied to you.

I mean, for fucks sake, Daniel is related to Hawkman Carter Hall.

Was retroactively Vertigo, the book is actually firmly DCU

There were editorial rules separating them. When he did Madame Xanadu Wagner talked about it and how he just ignored it

And Lyta Hall was Wonder Woman's daughter, pre-Crisis.

Mmmmm, Cynthia

Here you have Swamp Thing and Constantine in major main DC event, not long before Flashpoint.

After that Constantine tv series was canceled, he may not pop-in as often :(

This was also the first bit in setting up the big Swamp Thing/Animal Man Rotworld thing. Brightest Day was transitioning from a Green Lantern to a Swamp Thing event. So even without Flashpoint, it seems there were plans to bring him back more into the central DCU.

THERE IS NO VERTIGO UNIVERSE! FUCK FLASHPOINT STUPIDITY!

Exactly why I said "If DC wanted." The only things that kept the two separate were editorial, never things such as separate worlds, timelines, etc.

Not quite, they also showed up in The Wake.

FLASHPOINT had a lot of weird shit that you can pretty much attribute to Warner Brothers executives not knowing shit.

For start the event wasn't meant to reboot shit. It was just going to be a event centered on Flash and there was several plot-lines hinted throughout that The Flash run that Geoff Johns wanted to work on.

The idea that "Pandora" gave to merge the "Vertigo Universe", Wildstorm Universe and the main-line Universe was that she was doing this to make the main-line universe stronger. OK... then why the fuck did she separate the Justice Society associated character from main-line Universe and put them back to the Earth-2 Universe? It makes no goddamn sense.

Then there's the fact that nobody knew what Pandora was about and who the character was. She was first named Lady Luck. She was just some random thing Jim Lee came up with to please the executives because they wanted a reboot.

I'm confused
So to what extent was it Pandora's doing and to what Manhattan's?

We don't know yet. Originally it was all Pandora but Rebirth has retconned it to be at least partially Manhattan's doing. As we're only one issue into Rebirth literally all we know is pic related.

Not sure if you've passed that point but let's not forget Doctor Destiny shows up. Shit was rad.

Spitballing this idea- Pandora was the writer, and Manhattan was the editor.

Clark and Bruce show up in the very last arc.

I think this sounds a little dumb. But can u explain it so I can find out otherwise?

I sort of like this, but I feel like once we find out what Manhattan was actually trying to pull the time for it won't fit