Stranger Things Soundtrack Will Be Released on Cassette

>Pitchfork reports that the original soundtrack of Stranger Things, scored by Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein, will be getting released on a red cassette this July. These tapes will be packaged in cases that look like VHS tapes with sleeves featuring the highly-stylized artwork of the show.

>The tapes will be available exclusively at Urban Outfitters from July 14th, with a price as yet unconfirmed.

WOW

Vinyl I understand but cassettes? lmao

It's a fantastic chance for companies to release cassette players for $300 bucks.

If this was civ 5 I'd be very worried about the future of US culture victories

Fuck yeah! Cassettes! Remember cassettes, guys? SO COOL!

It's like I'm back in the 80s! HELLS TO THE YEAH!

why is American culture so vapid and commercial?

Kill yourself.

Didn't Guardians of the Galaxy already do this? twice
Is this the hot new epic trend?

No 8-track release?

>Vinyl
Get the fuck out grandpa
>80s
I used my cassette walkman all the way to the late 90s

>remember having a zip up case full of cassettes in my car back in high school

That shit is probably back in my parents house. This is fucking retarded. I don't think I still have a CD player in my house, let alone a tape deck.

What's the problem? Isn't this just a collector's item, basically?

>I used my cassette walkman all the way to the late 90s

I did, too, but this is still a dumb gimmick and I'm really tired of muh nostalgia shit like this.

A to the muthafukin K homeboy~!

fuckin brilliant move on their part, nerds and hipsters would kill one another over these. they'll sell through the roof

Oddly enough vinyl has much better quality than most CDs, if only because audio on vinyl can't be compressed up the ass like most modern music is now. Vinyl actually has dynamic range and lots of assholes don't realize how important that is in music.

There's literally no advantage to tape though.

>a cassette packaged in a case that looks like a VHS
Jesus christ, how fucking pretentious

>There's literally no advantage to tape though
You can carry a bunch of them in a backpack and listen to them with a player that fits in an adidas jacket pocket. Vinyl BTFO.

Has no one here browsed bandcamp? Artists do limited pressings on cassette all the time.

2 so far (first movie and the first season of the cartoon), soon to be 3 (second movie).

Why? It's a format inferior to CD

Uhh, cassettes still come out, that's really not a hot take to be sarcastic about, fuckwad.

>exclusively at Urban Outfitter

Of course it will.

>There's literally no advantage to tape though.
back in the day, you ignorant child, when you wanted to go for a jog or bike ride you either took your portable cd player or cassette walkman
cd players werent as cheap as a cassette player
cd players would skip every time you moved and jogging with one was impossible
of course you wouldnt realize this because exercise didnt even cross your mind you fat nigger born after 1995

It's a bunch of kissless virgins that don't know about anything that normal people do and get mad when people have fun. Of course this triggers them and they don't know shit about shit. Day of the Rope for abnormie subhumans NOW.

This, plus the advantage of cassette is you could overwrite them with new music easily.

It's not even nostalgia.

The hipster cunts who like this shit never had a tape player.

Much less had to suddenly pull over, try to coax yards of tape out of your deck without stretching or breaking it, and then sit there for 15 minutes rewinding the thing with the tip of your fucking pinky finger.

That's because you bought a shit cd player that didn't have a big enough skip suppression buffer.

That was never an advantage and it doesn't even matter now.

>back in the day

We're not back in the day though. Not like listening to music is required when exercising either you sperg

Why are you so addicted to vapid and commercial American culture you third world faggot? Get off our planet. You better go real far too because WE OWN SPACE. Hell we sent a golden record into space that hot space alien bitches are probably twerking to while waiting to get our superior American cocks. Get fucking rekt.

Calm down, fat spic.

No kidding. They actually already released a handful of new albums on cassette and sold them at Urban Outfitters. Stuff like The Weeknd, One Direction, Ariana Grande, etc.

Guess they wanted it to come back like vinyl did. Last time I went in there a lot of them were on clearance though, lol.

Of course it was an advantage, and you record new tunes straight from the radio.

I'M
SUCH
A
HUGE
NERD
LMAO

As a person who grew up in the 80s with cassette. Cassette is shit. Trust me. Player eats up your tape, tape gets tangled and worn out fast, you have to try to figure out where songs are.

Whiter and fitter than you ever will be third world faggot. Enjoy living on our planet in our galaxy. How does it feel to know if shit jumps off we could end you in a second and none of us would even care? Damn that shit has got to fucking hurt. No wonder all you can think about is Americans and American things, you got American dick shoved so far up your ass that you can taste stars and stripes.

underrated

>Hey! Hey! Remember da 80s?????

that sounded like shit and were riddled with commercials, djs talking over them, clean versions, weird compression, etc etc etc

I'm 29 and I'm probably the last generation who had these tapes and only stationary phones. Who is this aimed for - teenagers?

Recording songs before the Internet was a cool thing, kid. The alternative was to buy every record.

>riddled with commercials
you record only the songs you like, doofus
>djs talking over them
what the fuck kind of radios you listened to

>not having lightning reflexes to cut off the commercials
And it was better than nothing at all, seriously, the first music CDs were unpractical as fuck, the only thing they had going for them was sound quality on a static system.

There's a significant number of millenial hipster lobster botherers that think the cassette is a superior music delivery system, offers a unique tactile experience, and allows for the artist more creative freedom by having songs play through in order.

>probably the last generation who had these tapes and only stationary phone
In the West maybe.

Anyway tapes are fine nowadays cause they are incredibly cheap. So if a band puts out an early demo or something on bandcamp it's cool to throw in a tape, more or less as a goodie. The thing in the OP is probably crap and I bet they just put shitty MP3 rips on the tape anyway.

And thats how people get murdered. Do you not know that?

No fucking shit dude.

I'm in my '40s, so yeah, I recorded songs from the radio.

Sitting around for hours at a time hoping to catch the song you want was not awesome.

What fucking stations were you listening to? DJs would often talk over an intro until the vocals started.

Right.

Better than nothing.

Better than nothing is hardly an advantage.

Physical media for music is obsolete.

>shitty mp3 rips

Who the fuck even rips anymore?

Are you from the past?

>you actually made a phone call to the radio to request they play a certain song

Do you guys like not go to shows or something? Nearly every band puts there shit out on cassettes and vinyl now.

Like I get that the case is supposed to be a VHS but what is the red thing?

It just can't get anymore reddit than this.Congrats to this and gotg they somehow managed to hit the rock bottom with such pathetic move.Don't they feel guilt and shame, both the people involved in the marketing of such things and the ''people'' that actually buy them..

>Not MillieĀ“s ASMR song.

Not buy.

>physical media for music is obsolete.
Well no. Music is more than sound to some people who enjoy the visual and tacit aspects of it.
>Who the fuck even rips anymore?
Well, a lot of people. Many bands dislike the effect that streaming has on the habits of people + spotify and itunes rip bands off. For that reason they release physical media that some people rip.
Take a look at Waffles or Redacted. Rips are THE thing people crave.
>shitty mp3 rips
I am saying the company puts MP3 on the tape that sounds like garbage and doesn't use the full possible spectrum.

And please don't give me the shit about >muh streaming sounds just like vinyl cause that's only true if you have a shitty system and/or are used to Youtube's sound quality.

>I'm in my '40s
>on Sup Forums
Are you a wizard?

Pre-internet and widespread piracy era, it was a big deal.

I hope you're not serious but it's fucking 2017 so I can't be sure of anything anymore.

This.

yea it's stupid, but not really that surprising considering the show is a giant jerk off to the 80s

Fuck off commie

THUMBS UP IF YOU REMEMBER VHS

The only thing about this that is annoying to me is that it's packaged to look like a VHS box with a cassette inside, that's fucking stupid.

Make it look like what the media at the time actually looked like or don't even bother making it.