John Stewart is an alien.

I guess he's a Black Lantern.

>"You are okay for a stupid nigger"

What did he mean by this?

>"you run pretty fast for a white guy"
What did Jon mean by this?

exactly what you think he means.

youtube.com/watch?v=z3r8KN17wP0

note the way john reacts. its obvious what the intended meaning is.

>his childhood heroes were actually racist.
good old days without muh diversity shit

>good old days without muh diversity shit
This moment was only possible because they replaced a white GL with a black one, probably for the sake of diversity.

I get that "OMG this show is objectively good because black people exist in it" is a dumb line of thinking, but so is "this show is crap because people like it because there's black people in it". Try your best to lessen the idiocy in the world.

I don't think you understood his post at all.

In all honesty, without context this wouldn't be racist in the slightest.

The sad thing is, once upon a time "you're a credit to your people" was a compliment. Sadder thing is, if everyone strove to be one, racism might actually die out in a generation or two.

ooga booga unka bung dooga, eek

I studied 4 years of Niggerspeak in college.

He was trying to not be racist but did it in a way that was racist.

You don't think Jon is a credit to his people?
Why are you such a racist?

I love Sup Forums summerposting

John is a marine

Man that was probably my favorite 2 part from justice league

>Opens with a homage to Neon Genesis Evangelion
>Creepy silver age
>The tweest
>villian you could empathize with

Jon was a great Green Lantern and The Streak wanted to tell him so. GL's are usually addressed as 'son'.

Would you consider him racist or not racists but unaware of the racism coming from his mouth because of the time he's from? He clearly doesn't mind working along side John or shows dislike working with him.

The streak does not know that.

He meant people as in the people from his universe and he called him son to address his youth.
I'm tired of this "everything is racist meme."

Would he let him date his daughter or invite him to hang out with his drinking buddies though?

(You)

>letting Green Lanterns date your daughter

No responsible father would allow that.

JL/JLU's portrayal of John made him my favorite Lantern.
It also made me appreciate Hawkgirl more than I ever would, she's the best character in that show.

Women that date green lanterns tend to end up in refrigerators or as super villains

get out of here Desh

I think they would keep it very proffesional, family stuff is a slippery slope when it comes to superheroes or famous people in general, you have to be very careful.

Why not say he's a credit to his world?

Innocently racist, since he's from an earlier era. That's it.

He's probably not racist but if he is then he probably works alongside John because he feels like he's being progressive or something like that.

This. Fair for his day.

Regular or angry?

I feel like the biggest reason HG was good on that show was because she had this bizarre unwritten anti-jobbing ability. Flash tripped, J'onn never shape shifted, Superman was made of wet cardboard, and Batman still had the relevance of not having powers. Shakes, though, always used her full ability, she never made you think 'JUST PHASE THROUGH THE WALL J'ONN, NOBODY WAS ATTACKING YOU HOW DID YOU MESS UP YOUR SHAPE SHIFTING!?'

All niggers must fucking hang

Or they're villains and they bang them into heroics.
Based Alan.

He was racist but only by today's definitions. That was just the mindset of the people at the time.

It's like saying somebody 2000 years ago was an idiot because they thought lightning meant God was angry. They just didn't know better,

That black people should hang out with each other

>implying there anything wrong with what he said.

It's a relief they didn't use the real JSA for this.

>wow, a flying nigger, what'll they think of next

Bit uncouth.

People knew what racism was in his era. Racism was more accepted socially but that doesn't make him non-racist.

>2016
>being rude

In Streak's time, Blacks had it rough and he knew that. Seeing a guy like John doing the stand-up thing and being a hero, he recognized as something good for their community.

Streak couldn't change the lot of Blacks in society, but a guy like John could. Therefore, he said he was a credit to them, and gave him his respect.

If anything this scene was a great parallel between well meaning attitudes of today (being the early 2000s) and the 1960s
He didn't mean anything bad by it and in fact probably saw it as a progressive complement, whole Green lantern was unsettled by it he probably accepted it as him at least trying

>jigga jigga, good job nigga!

what the fuck, man?

Well put

Who are his people?

>this is now considered racist
The actual fuck?

What's racist here? If someone called me a credit to my people I'd take it as a compliment. Everyone was proud to be a credit to their people/country back in the day.

Wow, this place gets dumber and dumber by the second.

That he's a role model to his people, and he isn't wrong.
I see no problem with this.

youtube.com/watch?v=8h5kg5f8Im0

That was before everyone became much more proud of being a victim.

When you think about it a comment like this isn't really that racist.
There's a clear difference between 'you're a credit to your race' and 'you're smart for a nigger'. And not just in the word use.
The second implies that expectations for black people are just lower and calling him smart doesn't really mean as much as calling a white man smart but the first just means whites and blacks are separate groups that barely interact and that GL paints a positive picture of blacks.

What made it so desirable to be a victim?

The fact that Stewart is considered part of a different "people" is inherently racist.

John Stewart is a good GL in this show, regardless of his race

Nothing racist about it. To recognise a distinction between one's own people and another is a pretty neutral fact.

> 'you're a credit to your race'
> 'you're a credit to your race'

It's the same shit with the same intent. That's still saying " You're lower than me, but at least you're trying"

why in the fuck is this a forced meme

But superheroes are already a different people, why not unite under that; rather than establish a separate opinion because of race?

>Racist
No, racist would be considering his people inferior. Acknowledging differences isn't racism neither sexism.

Only if you read the statement uncharitably. "You're a credit to your race" just means "You're an excellent example of your race," and surely that's something to be proud of? I'm not sure acknowledging the existence of race, or that people can be excellent members of their race, is intrinsically racist.

>Susan Whatever, scientist, athlete, Peace Nobel etc, is a great role model to all the women in the world
Is this sexism?

What part of "You are a credit to your race" doesn't imply inferiority? It's already implying Blacks are an inferior race with Stewart being the exception that makes the rule.

It is racist because it suggests that you think that they need a mascot of some sort. But it's not really harmful just kind of rude.

Maybe "racist" is too triggering of a word in this sense because it suggests hatred.

You've got to read the implication of inferiority in there. The expression itself can (and probably should) be read as one of genuine admiration. One can use it of one's own people as much as of someone else's, with the same meaning.

If someone came up to her face and said something like " You're good for a woman" , then yeah, it would be.

>For a woman
Oh, I get it, you're the racist and sexist one who is projecting hard

But there is context, so...

tumblr and probably seeing how much money anita sarkeesian made from her kickstarter

>you think they need a mascot
The fuck? you are either reading too much between lines or you come already seeking for a racism in that phrase.

>You shoot up schools, bars, and theaters very well for an american

By your people he meant militaristic fanatics, not niggers.

That Afghans do it better.

true, prejudiced would be a better word. But it's not good to Sup Forums-wash statements that are that belittling

>Streak couldn't change the lot of Blacks in society
Because "the lot" black people needed changing?
Because only people with a specific race should interact with their specific race?
Or because it couldn't be possible that a group of heroes who were sexist and expected women to do certain things would also be racist too?

I didn't grow up in the West, so I might be missing something. I just don't see it as rude even.

Doesn't every people and culture have paragons they look up to? Isn't it a good thing to be one of these paragons, and therefore a compliment to tell someone else that they represent their people well? It doesn't follow at all because people are good members of their respective societies, that therefore those societies are assumed to be inferior.

Maybe it's got to do with the advance of individualism. To imply that the individual is embedded in a larger social category at all beyond a completely universal (and trivial) one, might be interpreted as taking away from their individuality.

But of course from someone who at least partially conceives of their identity in terms of their people, the expression is a clear compliment.

That you should go back to Sup Forums.

See, and this is the problem with all these "racism!!" faggots, you already start in the side of "this is racism" without even reading the phrase or the context, so there's no chance for an argument, you already think is racism.

That version of the streak was a memory that a telepath projected into reality from memories of him as a child spending time with those heroes. They all seem like characterized because he's created them from rose tented glasses so he could forget the fact his heroes got blown up in a nuclear war.

Is not racism, John is a faggot with inferiority complex and he assumes always people are onto him.

>You're a credit to all mankind
>What do you mean with mankind? so we are different from womankind? and from faunakind? what about for florakind?
>...oh, you're a credit to all living beings then
>Again with the segregation, what about minerals and inorganic beings?
>so-sorry, I was just being nice...please, someone, I need a hand
>A HAND?! so you're assuming I have a hand? you're projecting your antropocentric vision of the world in me!

user I could copy and paste your post and replace everything about me and switch it to you, and it would still make sense
if your argument is actually "well you already think one thing, so it doesn't count" then it's a bad argument

I'm just saying, if it didn't have racially biased connotations, why wouldn't he just say "the" people not "your" people

I'm aware, but that doesn't make it not racist

lmao

So if someone said something that was completely different it would be sexist?
That's just like with OP!

>completely different
>changes 1 word

>No meant to be hurtful, neither to imply John or his race is inferior, etc
>Is still racism
Shit, my 3 dictionaries and Internet definitions are all antiquated, what's the new definition and why my 2016 dictionary doesn't have it?

Acknowledging differences is also racism, also racism can only be done by whites, minorities can't be racist because racism is prejudice+power, and minorities don't have power so...

>not meant to be hurtful
>not meant to imply his race is inferior
you can still be hurtful without meaning it
you can't just say "haha, I'm not a racist, I didn't mean to make you feel bad"

here's a definition for you
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races

Burden of proof, you're the one saying his intention is to state white people is superior to blacks, so prove it.

Are you messing with me?
'rolemodel to' vs 'good for'
those are entirely different things

This phrase is a great example of: if you look to be offended you'll be offended.

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with "It's good you're not one of them lazy dumb niggers, you're one of the GOOD ones. If more niggers were like you, they'd maybe even deserve to drink water from the white faucets!".

>for a
Nice change, let me try it
>You're a cunt to your whoremom
See, if I also change two words just like you the phrase becomes offensive

It's obviously he's concerned about race because he brings it up

If he meant "you're doing a good job and you're probably a great role model towards blacks", he would have said that differently.
And if he wasn't concerned about race, he wouldn't mention it because people are people wherever you go.

By saying "your people", he makes a differentiation between John separating him by race.
Instead of using language that congratulates him based on his own personal merit, he congratulates him based on the demerits of his race.
The notion of him saying "you're a credit to your people" means that either typically John's people don't have many people he would consider good or any people he would consider good.

And I'm not saying his intention is to state whites are superior to blacks, I'm saying that his language reflects that belief

tl;dr: he wouldn't have said "your people" if he wasn't racist

>"It's good you're not one of them lazy dumb niggers, you're one of the GOOD ones. If more niggers were like you, they'd maybe even deserve to drink water from the white faucets!".
I love abbreviations, and it makes sense, Streak moves and talks so fast he doesn't have time for long sentences, he sums up all that in "you're a credit to your people" but his intentions are very clear. Also look at his suit, is intended to hate blacks.

Are you messing with me
Credit to == good for