First actual kino of the year. Great movie

First actual kino of the year. Great movie.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tNE8oUtDaWk#t=30.313841
youtube.com/watch?v=o-0hcF97wy0
jezebel.com/watch-a-patriarchy-crumble-in-it-comes-at-night-1795962531
youtu.be/5Pse9E9DzZ4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

low-budget """""indie""""" horror is cancer

Low budget horror is the best kind, big budget productions always lose the horror in favor of goofy special effects.

Okay, let me rephrase:

Horror is cancer. End your life please.

It isn't low budget you fucking retard, it's by A24

Well let's look at the budget
>$5 million
That is low budget you shitting cunting animal.

Saw it today, I thought it was just OK. On a technical level it's great (loved all the dark/light stuff, good score) but the actual story was a bit lacking. For whatever reason I wasn't feeling the tension the movie wanted me to feel.

6.5/10

No, actual low budget horror movies have budgets far below a million dollars you uneducated ape

Another overhyped medicore horror movie RedditTomatoes will eat up.

well then you just don't like horror movies. Why are you in this thread on a nice friday afternoon?

>good critic reviews
>bad audience reviews

GUARANFUCKINGTEED SHITTERS CRYING ABOUT "DUH ENDING"

Nah Get Out blows this movie the fuck out

cuz i´m fat, poor and still a virgin okaayyy?

Is it out in the UK yet? Can't seem to find any showings.

>low-budget """""indie""""" horror is cancer

Then go see The Mummy, you pleb.

Some really great shots in this movie, like when they were travelling on the road to Will's house and it was just one take shifting between the road, the rearview mirror and the Osama Bin Laden killer.

Who opened the door and moved the kid? Was it just Travis hallucinating?

youtube.com/watch?v=tNE8oUtDaWk#t=30.313841

spoiler it for us kind user I want to know the plot

youtube.com/watch?v=o-0hcF97wy0

"IT" is the evil in the hearts of man.

i come at night, too

>Joel Edgerton
Ok this is interesting
>Black wife and wife's son because he's even blacker than hers
Nope fuck off.

Does the dog make it?

That bothered me for the first five seconds then I realized I wasn't on Sup Forums anymore and stopped caring

Skin color is a polymorphic trait so it's certainly possibly that a mixed could be darker than his parents.

THERE'S A DOG IN THE WALL!

For someone that cares so much about genetics you seem to know nothing about it

OK, I'll give you a summary. Heavy spoilers:

Some viral outbreak is fucking things up in the area our characters live in. They live in a house in the woods outside a larger metro area. Virus is airborne, characters generally wear gas masks outside and around anyone that might be infected. Can also be transmitted through touch. There's a brief mention that it ravaged the nearby city but that's all we really get of the bigger picture.

Virus gives you boils on your skin, makes you puke blood. It's like a 72 hour thing. Your skin eventually rots, though we only see a fully fledged case of the virus in a dream sequence. Doesn't zombify people, just kills them, but is still super contagious. The effects are kept pretty vague.

Family is Dad, Mom, grandpa and teenage son. Movie opens with grandpa getting sick. Dad has to take him out back and shoot him, literally. They burn the body.

Like two days later someone tries to break into their house at night. Dude gets caught, turns out he has a family and he thought the house was abandoned b/c it's all boarded up and shit. Dad talks with new dude and they work out a deal: Dad and dude will go pick up dude's family in exchange for more supplies/rations that dude is sitting on. All they were out of was water, hence why dude left family o go look for some

I'll continue in a sec

nope

Dad and dude collect dude's family and supplies offscreen and return to house. Dude's kid is like 7 or something. Two families decide to coexist in house. Tensions are initially high but settle into a routine. Teenage son develops crush on dude's wife.

Few weeks later Dad, teenage and dude are chopping firewood in the woods just outside the house with doge. Doge suddenly hears something and books off into the woods. Humans look for doge but doge is long gone. Teenage son is distraught over doge.

That night, teenage can't sleep so he's wandering around the house when he sees the little kid sleeping by himself on the floor of the room that used to belong to his grandpa. Kid is kind of out of it, like he was sleepwalking or something. Teenage son leads kid back to his parents room.

Teenage son keeps wandering the house until he notices the only entrance/exit to the house open. This is a big deal b/c there are strict rules saying that door must be locked at all times, especially at night. Teenage son hears some thumping and shit like there's a person beyond the door. Books it back and wakes up his parents. Turns out it's doge but he's fucked up, like he was attacked. Doge also has signs of virus. We're never told how doge got fucked up, but Dad has to put doge out of its misery.

Continued...

>Teenage son develops crush on dude's wife.
How hot/old was she?

That poster is badass

Why was the dog bleeding?

Pretty hot, the actress is 27-28 years old.

Call family meeting about door being open. Speculated that kid did it while sleepwalking, though dude and chick claim kid doesn't sleepwalk. Families decide to sequester themselves in opposite rooms of house for precaution, in case anyone is infected, and also because tensions are pretty high b/c of doge and open door incident.

Turns out the kid is infected, teenage and family overhear him wailing in pain the next day. Dad confronts the other family, dude pulls a gun on Dad, says give us half the shit we're leaving. Mom shows up, points gun at dude, standoff ensues, TL;DR Mom ends up shooting dude to protect Dad, and Dad aims for dude's wife but ends up killing the kid, then shoots the dude's wife too.

Teenage is distraught cuz his qt3.14 is kill, but also shows signs of the infection himself. Kid transmitted it to him the night he found him sleeping alone in the house. Movie ends with a quasi dream sequence with teenage being sick and his mom caring for him, and ends with a shot of Dad and Mom sitting at family dinner table, with the usual seat occupied by the teenage son vacant, implying he;s dead now too

That's basically it. TL;DR pretty much nails it. It's not a bad film by any means, just... eh?

That's it? Seems short.

You conveniently left out the part where the Dude is black and sleeps with the farmers wife.

A lot of tension/character building.
It was a simple story given more depth than what is usual.

WE

>just... eh
I disagree completely. It doesn't rely on tired tropes, it doesn't reference or fall back on tired horror story structure or plot lines, the characters aren't your usual throwaway horror characters. It was very human, very subtle, and at almost all times there was a sense of underlying dread. I can see why people don't love it, but I thought it was a near perfect horror story that never overstepped its grounds, never became boring, didn't try to be a crowd pleasing tropefest, it was great.

Does the Dad find out?

The movie was great! How luck are we to have got two great feminist movies in a one month time span?!

jezebel.com/watch-a-patriarchy-crumble-in-it-comes-at-night-1795962531

#2017IsForTheGirls

He is memeing.

I agree with its avoidance of tropes for sure, and I agree the characters were fairly well drawn. Normal people dealing with a shitty situation, and having actual sound logic behind their actions.

Like I said earlier in the thread though, I never felt the tension the movie wanted me to feel. Not sure why that was, maybe I just couldn't get that invested in the characters. Maybe with the lack of info about the bigger picture, the threat didn't feel that real for me.

I like it on a technical level though. Like I said the score was good and I liked the imagery of light/dark, especially the dream sequences and the teenage son wandering the house at night with that lantern. I liked the staging of the final standoff sequence.

Just it never amounted to much for me. It's not bad, maybe just not my cup of tea.

So what comes at night?

Song to Song and Alien: Covanant were the only good films so far

>ICAN
>patriarchy
oh fuck off, I'm not even going to read this dumbass blog post but not once did these stupid thoughts come into my head during the movie. These people are fucking scum and need to attach their shitty agenda to everything

Literally: the virus or bad people

Figuratively: whatever you want to read from the film

----

>Mallrats was shot on a 6 million dollar budget.

That put anything in perspective for you? It's pretty fucking low-budget.

I loved this movie but the last 5 minutes are insanely frustrating. Instead of grand payoff like the witch, the climactic confrontation has probably the least tension of any scene in the movie. And the remaining two minutes of the movie do it no favors, vaguely implying a death and not exploring any of the interesting concepts on the table.

So Maggie but with another family in the house?

Dunno, didn't see Maggie

Fear. The movie is all about fear and what it makes people do. The son has dreams every night of sheer terror and madness and has trouble sleeping because of it.

Because Mallrats is a horror movie...

>grand payoff
That's where you messed up. You're expecting some grand payoff trope bullshit. Real life doesn't have grand payoffs, this movie isn't a blockbuster where the entire first 80 minutes is a vehicle to some gotcha moment.

>reddit hates a24

Are they /our distributior/?

sounds kinda like the vvitch

>watch a patriarchy crumble
>in a fictionary movie

grasping every straw

No. Mallrats is a movie shot in a fucking mall. And It Comes at Night is a movie with blood effects, gore, good cinematography, an actor that would want a decent paycheck, and made 20 years after 6 million dollars was a BIG budget for movies. Even movies shot in a fucking mall. So if anything, Mallrats NOT being a horror movie speaks more about the fact that ICAN was made on a 5 million dollar budget than if it were a horror movie. Because ICAN was easily more monetarily demanding, when it comes to the content of the film.

Learn a little about filmmaking before you spout how something isn't "Low budget".

Of the fucking seven trailers that played before it the two from A24 were the best, A Ghost Story looks kinda lame imo (though the trailer alone made my wife cry, so it may just not be for me), but Good Time looks fucking phenomenal, like a John Cassavetes film.

>There shouldn't be a grand payoff because it needs to be realistic

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Half the reviews about some dude Shults than about the movie. Why are Americans so obsessed with creating icons? Is this a religious impulse?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA LA LA LAND 2.0

But kino means shit.

Why are you saying this movie is bad kinotard? Everyone else says it's good.

Clearly repeating meme speak damaged your brain.

A24 movies are always kino

Listen dipshit, in the realm of HORROR MOVIES, there are dozens if not hundreds of horror movies that come out every year with fucking budgets that never come close to a million dollars. Of course ICAN isn't a big budget flick, but again, for a fucking horror movie, it isn't what you would these days consider to be a low budget horror movie. It's all fucking semantics, but going genre by genre horror is inundated with extremely low budget shit every year, making something like ICAN that in the grand scheme of all movies is clearly a low budget, not considered to be low budget in the genre. Fuck. Off.

holy shit same thing in my theater, it was like a solid 25 minutes of previews. One of them was for transformers. Fucking Regal man.

spoilers ahead
What kind of grand payoff do you want? You want a major shootout with a rival hillbilly forest clan? You want a 20 minute fight between the two men of the house? You want some Walking Dead AMC-tier bullshit we've seen a thousand times. Instead the movie starts with loss, the loss of the grandfather, then the loss of the dog, and wraps up with the loss of their guests and son and possibly the mother and what can they do but sit there and wait for it? It's all loss, everything is fucked, it's gloomy and depressing and sad. It was very Faulknerian and grim and would have been complete shit if there was some major twist or "grand payoff".
I'm assuming you want something like that hack Stephen King would do, where in the last second it pans up and we realize they're all in some experimental bubble or video game or some stupid shit for a sense of gratification. Get some damn taste.

Touch a nerve there, kid?

>Quija: Origin of Evil - $11 Million Budget
>Don't Breathe - $9 Million Budget
>Rings - $25 Million Budget
>Conjuring 2 - $40 Million Budget
>Lights Out - $4.9 Million Budget
>Bye Bye Man - $7.4 Million Budget
>Wish Upon - $12 Million Budget

On this list, it came in second lowest. I'd say that puts it in a lower budget range, considering it comes in at half the production cost of most of the films on that list, if not lower.

Decent tension during some parts but there was zero payoff. No reveals. Nothing. There is such a thing as TOO vague. There was nothing thought-provoking about the plot. "Paranoia is a thing" has been done to death.

It didn't need a monster or a ghost or a jump scare but it needed SOMETHING. And while there were a few striking visuals, overall the cinematography and the acting weren't good enough to justify sitting through the movie, either.

At least trash like Wish Upon shows you right in the trailer that it's not worth seeing.

This is pretty much going to happen within the next hundred years because of idiots getting antibiotics every time their nose runs.

fixed

For horror movies none of these are considered low budget. TCM is a low budget horror movie, it cost $300,000, Saw is a low budget horror movie it cost 1.2 mil. Nothing over 2 million is a low budget horror movie.

>Wish Upon

Holy shit that looked bad, I giggled my way through that trailer

kek

Know what they could have done is tied in some concrete views of the devastated city. Maybe instead of just blowing your head off, your punishment for poor sterile technique is to be banished from the pseudo-thriving suburbs to the dead metropolis.

>but it needed SOMETHING
No it really didn't, it had plenty of SOMETHING, but you needed something else because you have bad taste and expectations for films you go into.

No they're not they're actually good.

Fuck off shit poster.

I was expecting CIA

>what they could have done is tied in some concrete views of the devastated city
I'm sorry, but that sounds terrible. That is literally Walking Dead AMC-tier garbage.

Who was in the wrong here?

Not him, and also haven't seen this movie, but $5mil is nowhere close to low budget.

I'm big into the horror scene, and easily can tell you low budget horror movie is a few thousand dollars. They are tons made each year on this budget if not even less, like Miller's Crackbaby Billionaire or Bouchie's In Furs. Those are low budget.

Tusk was horrible

Leaving a film's ending totally unclear without answering any questions is pretentious crap. They could have done something as simple as show whether or not Andrew had gotten sick and I guarantee you people wouldn't have been laughing when the credits started rolling. I'm not this user that wants something hokey. Some anons even floated a theory about the entire thing being a feverish dream of Travis when he succumbs to the illness after his grandfather, and isn't "it was all a dream" the most played out shit ever?

Do you plan on watching it? If so, why spoil it for yourself? You can only watch a movie spoiler-free once in your life and that is the first time you watch it, barring amnesia or something. Every time you watch it after the first you'll know what's going to happen. I hate this meme about "oh but spoiling the movie makes it better!"

He never implied that he wanted to watch it.

Yes

I know, that's why I prefaced my rant by asking him if he was going to. But I chose not to wait for a response and instead just stated my point of view on spoiling things for yourself in the hopes of preventing him and others from becoming victims of that terrible trend that I see growing in popularity recently.

Poster looks cool, trailer looks like your average cabin in the woods horror flick. This is the true first kino of the year.

youtu.be/5Pse9E9DzZ4

Yeah I hate it when people call good shit kino. It automatically turns people off.

the vvitch is better

Was this actually a horror movie?

AAAAAAAAHAHAHA

the trailer looks like absolute fartsy mess ...one step short of hipster nonsense kitsch.

no

people in my screening booed when it was over because they expected a horror movie with jump scares and shit

no, it was a minimalist arthouse thriller