Why were they so worried about this? The terraformer's climate changing output was less than America...

Why were they so worried about this? The terraformer's climate changing output was less than America, and I don't mean "The Americas". I mean more like "California". They could have just left it alone.

The terraforming was caused by both machines working together: destroy one and the process stops. While the miltary attacked the one in Metropolis, Superman went to the Pacific Ocean one to destroy it in order to maximize the efforts.

It was stated out loud in the movie, for fuck's sake.

Because it was not just changing the air it was destroying the landscape as it went, it physically would have killed every human being on the face of the earth.

Because they were immune to the common cold this time.

What I hate is that Zod wanted to terra form earth. Why not tell Clark that he's going to take the scout ship, which Earth/Clark certainly have no claim to, and that he's going to terraformANY OTHER FUCKING PLANET. Fuck, even the moon would have worked.

Zod expects Kal to say "sure, destroy this inferior beings and let's make a New Krypton", and when he doesn't it becomes a personal matter. Zod's also genetically programmed to resist change and conform to norm, which is incidentally why he didn't go all "fuck Krypton, we have superpower, let's rule Earth as gods".

>destroy one and the process stops.

That is PRECISELY why the better tactical decision is to focus all efforts on one.

In the movie they explained that the one in the Pacific is the main terraforming engine, and it was the one to destroy in order to stop the process.
had it a bit wrong, the military tries to take down Zod in Metropolis while Superman destroyes the main terraformer ship..

Because they only needed to change the atmosphere.
Why waste time finding a suitable planet when you gave one right under your feet.
They had one opposition, get rid of that then they are home free.

>Fuck, even the moon would have worked.
You're an idiot.

I haven't seen the movie so don't mind me if this is already explained, but why would they need terraforming to begin with?

Superman himself proves that Kryptonians can comfortably live on our planet, breathe our atmosphere, eat our food, drink our water, and so forth. Terraforming a planet that's already perfect to live on is completely fucking stupid.

Because Zod isn't interested in superpowers, his sole purpose was to restore Krypton. The world, the people and the society. How do you retain control over a caste society when everyone has superpowers? You can't.

I'm pretty sure it says that the density of the planet was being manipulated as well, as to match Krypton's gravity. I believe thats why everything around it was being crushed.

As I mentioned above, it pretty much says that the transforming machines will fix atmosphere, density of planet, etc. I dont see why the moon wouldnt work unless it got knocked off orbit by the process. Though I admit its not the BEST planet to pick, it would have been a better choice than the one where there was 100% going to be a fight over. And before you say some dumb shit like "but they're gods now", they didnt know that before they went to the planet with that plan. Additionally they dont know the limits of any of their powers. Hell, Zod doesnt get his powers until the very end of the movie, well after he's gone down this path of "lets take over this planet with a dozen people"... for no reason what so ever.

But it's the Sun that gives Kryptonians superpowers, not the atmosphere.

Unless the plan was to go full Matrix and permanently block all sunlight, but I doubt that fits anyone's vision of a perfect Krypton.

Yeah. He wants things to go back to normal, a permanent status quo. But how can it be just like Krypton if everyone has powers? The structure would have to change completely. One guy going rogue could cause massive damage.

>terraformANY OTHER FUCKING PLANET. Fuck, even the moon would have worked.

No, no other world is even remotely suitable for Kryptonforming when comapred to Earth. I really wished people would do some actual thinking before just stating shit like this. I know there's been a lot of sci-fi made about terraforming and colonizing Mars but the difficulties in doing so, even with Kryptonian technology, would be prohibitive.

Venus is covered in a thick carbondioxide atmopshere raining sulfuric acid down on it's extremely hot surface and it lacks a magnetosphere to protect it from the solar wind. So you would have to strip it of it's current atmosphere and then rebuild it, you would have to ferry icy comets and asteroids from the outer solar system to create oceans and the sand covering the entire planet is powdered sulfuric acid so it needs to be either neutralized or removed and replaced with fertile soil. Good luck with that.

Mars is approximately half the diameter of Earth, and its surface area is only slightly less than the total area of Earth's dry land. Mars is less dense than Earth, having about 15% of Earth's volume and 11% of Earth's mass, resulting in about 38% of Earth's surface gravity. And it has no magnetosphere either. So your strting off at a severe disadvantage in trying to increase Mars gravity to match Kryptons, the lack of water probably requires you to ferry icy bodies to create oceans and you still need to restart the magnetosphere. Good luck with that.

As for the moon, that suggestion is so stupid I'm not even going to bother.

SeeKryptonian technology isn't magic. It still needs a suitable planet to work from.

>But how can it be just like Krypton if everyone has powers?
Hence the Kryptonforming of Earth.

Yeah that was the point I was trying to make.

If Superman failed, would Aquaman have defeated Zod? Snyder himself has stated that Aquaman's trident can hurt Kryptonians.

MoS works on a blend of Golden and Silver Age explanations of Kryptonian powers.

Both the Moon and Mars are geologically dead while Earth has an active core. The Moon isn't very dense either.

You're thinking realistically. This movie is not realistic. Their technology is essentially magic, and going off of the dialogue in the movie, I believe it could in fact terraform mars, though not Venus as its mostly gas.

If we are going to suspend belief that simply being exposed to a different type of sunlight will allow the kryptonians to gain super-powers, I dont think its a crazy stretch to think their technology can basically terraform anything they want, in particularly when such dialogue is used in the movie.

>Venus is mostly gas

Not really.
The previous engagement in Smalville had proven that Zod's forces were able to defeat any conventional military forces easily and hold their own against Superman.
Prior to the attack on New-York the size of Zod's forces was unclear but it was safe to assume that defenses at the world enginge were weaker than at the mothership. Considering the overwhelming strength of the enemy it was doubtful that even a combined effort of the military and Superman would have been able to defeat the New-York forces. Sending Superman as a heavy hitter to the world engine was a desperate move but the best option considering the circumstances.

>Why waste time finding a suitable planet when you gave one right under your feet.
This is why.

Hindsight.jpg

>Venus as its mostly gas
Wow, you really are an idiot.

>I dont think its a crazy stretch to think their technology can basically terraform anything they want, in particularly when such dialogue is used in the movie.
No such dialogue is used, in fact quite the opposite:

Superman: If Krypton lives again, what happens to Earth?
General Zod: A foundation has to be built on something. Even your father recognized that.

If the world engine could easily reshape any world to sustain life then why did all the Kryptonian outposts die? The fucking film tells you both through imagery and dialouge that the planet has to be capable of sustaining life and that the World Engine can only reshape the environment, not create one from scratch.

>I believe it could in fact terraform mars
You try to increase Mars gravity and you'll just end up with a new asteriod belt when it implodes.