Topical Storytime スレ

There was another shooting in the US. Stuff like that effects comics. For instance, this comic I'm gonna storytime wasn't printed in 1999 because of Columbine, despite being an artistic response to it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ry5URU-Py2Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Glad to see no one cares. More people die every minute in Africa from hunger alone anyway.

That was pretty cool, cheers.

Thanks user

>IT WAS THE BLACKS ALL ALONG

Sup Forums IS ALWAYS RIGHT

Thanks for that OP, it was top-tier.

>special classes to learn and recognize real emotions and body language because they were raised by the television

holy fuck cringe, literally denying the existence of mental disorders. This comic fucking sucks edgy shit

youtube.com/watch?v=Ry5URU-Py2Q

Seems really out of character for Constantine, honestly. I don't remember him being all "Fucking Burgers!" that terribly often outside of the occasional jab. Also, taking it out on that woman is bullshit.

Ayyy

My biggest issues with Shoot isn't that it's hamfisted or John is out of character or anything like that. I don't like it because nothing fucking happens and John has no reason to be present.

John can care about things besides magic, especially where kids or secrets are involved. He is a human first, and a mage second. Humans are pretty terrifying and awful, though, and that's the point.

Is this it? The story just ends like this? Damn. I mean, it was great, but I was really looking forward to seeing what makes the kids do this.

>Ellis
Wouldn't shit all over the USA if your fat cuckold ass was sat where a free men could kick it, would you. God, I wish this cunt would just go away.

>citizens of the USA
>free men
The Patriot Act was a real thing you know.

Only applies to sheep, faggot. How's the Kool-Aid taste?

Ellis left Hellblazer after only 10 issues because they wouldn't print Shoot.

There may be a parallel universe where they printed it and Ellis did a proper 40 issue run, but it will never be this one. All we have is a taste of greatness with Haunted.

Oho, someone struck a nerve it seems.
Too close to the bone, was it?

this got colored, I did not know

>I was really looking forward to seeing what makes the kids do this.

America, son. America.

I often find Ellis gets America a hell of lot better than most of us here.

If you ever need proof that Ellis is likely the edgiest writer of all time surpassing even Millar and Ennis, read Ruins

Ah fuck off, are you going to tell me that Millars authority was not the edgiest shit ?

Nice buzzwords. How does the patriot act not apply to you? You're using the internet.

It wasn't supernatural

In 2010 they coloured and finally released it in "Vertigo Resurrected #1".
In 2014 they released it together with random Hellblazer issues (144, 145, 245, 246, 250) in an edition called HELLBLAZER: SHOOT
They also put it in the Hellblazer re-release; Hellblazer, Vol. 13: Haunted.

It's very out of line for Constantine. In Swamp Thing he seems to for the most part like the USA, and in Ennis he specifically loves New York City. In All His Engines he seems to like LA except for the fact that he has to drive everywhere, which he can't do himself.

You haven't read Ruins I see.

It's almost like America is a massive, and diverse country, capable of instilling a wide range of emotions and attitudes.

Oh fuck off.

Ruins is hardly definitive of Ellis. I'm pretty sure it was written half as a joke, and if I remember right, Ellis actually apologized for writing it, given how terrible it is.

In this comic he's literally Ellis' anti-America mouthpiece. He goes all over the fucking country in Swamp Thing too, so he really should have a good idea of the country.

>it's not edgy when Ellis is taking the piss even though he does it 1/3 as much as Ennis and half as much as Millar

I am going to tell you that because it's about 1% as edgy as The Unfunnies and Nemesis.

Spokane represent

>Worse Than The Unfunnies
Really now ?

No, they're saying in was 1% as bad as Unfunnies, as in Unfunnies is 99% worse.

Unfunnies would actually be 100x worse, not any percentage

Ah thanks

Dude, to clarify I'm not suggesting Ellis isn't an edgy writer.

I'm saying you should stop citing Ruins as your agrument. One, it's terrible, and nobody anywhere is suggesting it isn't. Even the author.
Two, Ellis has certainly written edgier stuff, so your harping on about Ruins makes it sound like you just happened to be around for the Ruins story time the other day and don't have anything else to bring to your argument.

I know, but it seemed weird that all the kids apparently just wanted to kill and be killed. I was waiting for an extra step in explaining what was that about, some nice twist or clever observation.

Could you storytime it sometimes? I dont access to my comics right now and I barely remember it

It helps to have a cultural perspective askew from it yet still technologically advanced to see the fucked up stuff we no longer notice. Brits have this for America, for the time being. It is also the chief intellectual benefit of being a weeaboo. Japan tries it's best to imitate what it likes about what it knows about America, revealing many strange truths to Americans that we would otherwise be mentally blind to. Pray that Japan remains different. They are the best game in town by a mile.

Thanks OP. That was... not very magical.

I read ruins in a storytime about 2 or 3 years ago, but what is edgier than rewriting the marvel universe to be as edgy and miserable as possible?

Japan and Britain each have their own particular and distinct national breed of crazy, though. But yes, your point is rather astute.

I dunno, Switchblade Honey. The odd issue of Global Frequency, Black Summer, No Hero.

The observation was that kids are being systemically ignored as they become desperately depressed. A destructive, seemingly supernatural effect arose out of the policies of the status quo. It's cynical, skeptical and punk. It's also true in the real world. I'd say that's because kids nearly all have no future and a shitty present with no sanctioned means of escape like becoming a pokemon master, but what do I know?

Azzarello gave him a lot more history in America as well. I don't know if you skipped it because of the bad reputation, but it is solid supernatural Americana.

But it's very obviously not true because there is no quasi supernatural epidemic of child shootings.

There are occasional mass-shootings at schools, perpetrated by adults, not children, but nobody stands around like a depressed ass hole and asks to be shot, everybody runs for their lives to preserve their future.

Yeah, the actual shootings part has basically been curbed. The kids find other ways to break now, usually involving humiliating themselves on the internet.

I'd suspect it's a observation of the 'Behavioral Sink'; the societal and reproductive collapse observed when a social species (usually rodents experimentally) terminally overloads its population density.

NIMH researchers observed this irrecoverable collapse occurring not because they ran out of possible housing, food, water, or even disease factors, but because they've run out of some sort of 'social space'. Males in particular became either self-absorbed, preening hedonists who never mated, or had psychotic breaks where they'd run around biting everything they could reach. Females would hide in the most isolated nestboxes they could, and completely lost their childbearing skills (if pups were somehow born the litters were frequently abandoned.)

The crazy thing is, I have a serious suspicion that you can amplify this effect with social media, resulting in a more rapid oversaturation effect without needing to place the individual in such a 'terminally overpopulated' area. Mass Media made the world smaller, and made us all closer together, but the average human mind isn't designed to deal with so many social connections.

Crazy thing is, we've known about the Behavioral Sink since the 60s, but it's currently too economically pressing to increase population growth to sustain economic growth.

>But it's very obviously not true because there is no quasi supernatural epidemic of child shootings.

What country are you living in?

>too economically pressing
Better start killing rich people, then. Any other murder that needs to occur to sort it out after that will occur naturally.