Since that Voltron remake is going over well, here's a question; of all series, why Golion?

Since that Voltron remake is going over well, here's a question; of all series, why Golion?

It's a one-off super robot show that's never been held in high regard in Japan, yet here there have now been multiple remakes and people don't seem to want to forget it, despite, by all indications, there being nothing very special about it at all. Why is this?

Were a series like the original Mazinger to have been brought stateside, would the results have been the same? Mazinger was localized very accurately for South American and it was popular and still hasn't been forgotten. In the Middle East, it was Grendizer, in the Philippines you had Mazinger again as well as others like Voltes V.

So why Golion?
With the understanding that things like "super" and "real" robot don't exist, why shouldn't something like Xabungle, Dougram, etc. have come to the US?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/sBTjRCMhSKA
youtube.com/watch?v=5DYItEA4b3c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also potentially relevant, whhat can be said knowing that Mazinger ran for 90 episodes (it's pretty good!) as opposed to Voltron's ~50?

you not liking it doesn't mean it isn't special or whatever

The west (or the states, at least) doesn't have the same appreciation for giant robots so it's easier/more profitable to just reboot a series that has already succeeded and proven profitable than to get a new one going. that's why Pacific Rim flopped and the last original mecha cartoons we got off the top of my head were Symbionic Titan and Megas XLR. Meanwhile Transfromers gets a new series every year and movie 5 is incoming

I don't think Netflix has much in the way of toy deals so that may or may not be a factor but a Voltron set is under review by the Lego Group, so if that pans out we can expect to see that on the shelves early next year

Hey hey, I never said anything like that!
These are just the facts as far as I know. It really wasn't seen as special, if I'm wrong please tell.

The show's colorful. It has a good gimmick, weird monsters, and neat badguys. When it comes to Japan, the show either needs to have reinvented the wheel or have a strong legacy behind it to actually get attention. America has always been short with mech shows, so one that colorful is rare to come by here. That's why it was popular.

It keeps getting sequels and reboots because it's easier to make something based on something popular than it is to try and get a whole new audience.

It debuted around the same time as Power Rangers, G1 Transformers and Beetleborgs and all that shit, didn't it? That's reason enough desu

G1 was WAY before them. Then Voltron. Then years and years later Power Rangers and Beetleborgs.

The show is by Dreamworks actually and there are toys scheduled for next spring when season 2 releases.

>It really wasn't seen as special, if I'm wrong please tell.
It wasn't special, it was just here first. You're not wrong in thinking if something like Mazinger would have been brought over instead then that's what would be recognized and remade.

They actually wanted Future Robot Dartanious but Toei got it mixed because they asked for "the one with the lion". World Events liked Golion more and went ahead with it

They used Dairugger for their next Voltron but since they were like 20 main characters the popularity declined.

They scraped the third Voltron (Albegas) and kept milking the iconic lion one for years. Like the Robotech fuckers milk Macross but promptly forgets about Southern Cross and Mospeada

it's not about quantity, it's about quality

DBZ had a trillion episodes but it could've easily been cut into 50

>They used Dairugger for their next Voltron but since they were like 20 main characters the popularity declined.
15. I mean, at least 15 pilots. It was called Dairugger XV.

Mazinger is leagues above Golion in quality. They probably would've cut all those times Koji bitchslaps Sayaka, though.

291. Not even that many anymore.

I was actually trying to mention quantity because Mazinger was a show that ran as long as it did because people liked it. By comparison, its sequel show Great Mazinger wasn't anywhere near as popular and only got ~50 episodes.

I mentioned Dougram for similar reasons. It ran for ~75 episodes because it was successful.

Seriously, what the fuck? Voltron and G1 came out in 84. Power Rangers and Beetleborgs in 93 and 96.

I'd like to see the Force Five animes re-done, myself. I enjoyed the fuck out of them.

Fuck it, I would rather they go all-in with adaptations of the various Brave series.

Especially this one.

Mazinger was brought over as Tranzor Z.

>Koji becomes """"Tommy""""
>Baron Ashura is now Devilene
>Count Brocken turned into Count Decapito
>Dr. Hell turned into Dr. Demon
>Boss Borot turned into fucking BOBO BOT

Jesus H. Christ.

Dreamworks was already sitting on the rights to Voltron in their classics library, so it was easy to do

I'd be all over a Voltes V remakeā€”it was a huge thing in my childhood. Very hard to top the original, though.

>It's a one-off super robot show that's never been held in high regard in Japan
Why is this relevant for a western reboot?

The cartoon is a vehicle for the inevitable live action debut of Voltron.

Not saying it is the OP's beef, but a lot of people get really rustled over anime 'adaptions' ala Robotech.

Its not like Robotech though. Its a completely new show BASED on an old show that was popular in the US.

I meant more how he was talking about how the original wasn't held in high regard in Japan. A lot of anime purists get pissed about the old adaptations of shows that were nothing special in their day but were really popular here like Golion or how Star Musketeer Bismark became Saber Rider.

Again, not saying OP thinks so, but they get upset that mediocre shows broke out in the West, especially given that they're cut-and-paste adaptations, when there are 'more deserving' shows.

I think OP is asking more about the original and why it's so popular(when arguably it had no right to be based on the source material) than the reboot specifically.

>OP is asking more about the original and why it's so popular(when arguably it had no right to be based on the source material)
People liked the editing and creative licensing the writers decided to do by throwing Vehicle/Gladiator/Lion Voltron together.

Why can't the Western adaptation be more popular if it pieces things together in something people enjoy rather than a straight translation that wouldn't fly well since it wasn't great to begin with?

They tried bringing other robots over before Voltron but they didn't get very wide distribution. Reideen only got Hawaii and four cities on the mainland.
I figure Golion just lucked into better distribution.
Plus it had a neat toy.

>if something like Mazinger would have been brought over instead
>if
youtu.be/sBTjRCMhSKA

Macron 1 was way better.
youtube.com/watch?v=5DYItEA4b3c
>Feeeeeel the powwwwwwweeeeeerrrrrrr~
I ate this shit up with a spoon as a little kid.

People get bothered by Robotech because it's one of the reasons a lot of macross stuff doesn't come outside of japan

it worked for Ghost Stories also.

I think if an anime actually sucked balls period, its dub has to be a parody by default.