The Spongebob Musical

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread on this yet, unless I missed it.

>Original songs by Yolanda Adams, Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith, Sara Bareilles, Jonathan Coulton, Dirty Projectors, Alex Ebert of Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, The Flaming Lips, John Legend, Lady Antebellum, Cyndi Lauper, Panic! At the Disco, Plain White T’s, They Might Be Giants and T.I., with an additional song by David Bowie and additional lyrics by Jonathan Coulton.

>The show had previously cast a virtual unknown, Ethan Slater, in the title role of the "absorbent and yellow and porous" character from the hit Nickelodeon cartoon series. Newly added among the principals: Carlos Lopez will play Spongebob's penny-pinching boss, Mr. Krabs. Lilli Cooper will play SpongeBob’s close friend Sandy Cheeks. Danny Skinner will make his Broadway debut as SpongeBob's dimwitted starfish pal Patrick. Gavin Lee (Bert in Mary Poppins) will play the sourpuss squid Squidward, and Nick Blaemire (Godspell) will play the scheming villain Plankton.

A production is currently running in Chicago.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yEQ9umhE39o
youtu.be/vPuPP6p0K_I
youtu.be/J2ym1zRALh8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I want to kill myself

This... sure is a thing

The set design looks really cool at least. Not sure how to feel about it as a whole though

>Patrick's hair

I actually like it

There was a thread, months ago. It was announced a long time ago and we just occasionally have threads when someone new first discovers it.

I felt the same way. Then I saw the musical cast. Now I'm just conflicted.

Yeah, I knew about it since it was announced but since more pics of the set were released yesterday I thought it would be nice to share them.

>Squidward is clearly an effeminate gay man

Excellent.

Also, here's a behind-the-scenes clip.
>youtu.be/yEQ9umhE39o
Ethan Slater, the guy who plays Spongebob, tries doing Spongebob's laugh at the end of the video, and let me tell you, it's pretty cringy.

This is Broadway, they're all effeminate gay men.

Normally, I'd be skeptical but for some reason I feel like this could be pulled off successfully.

Bump, this is interesting.
The list of writers kind of puts me off though.

it's cringy because you're not young enough to not care and you're not enough of a casual to not notice

I'm in it solely for the soundtrack album.

Even Lilli Cooper?

Why is Sandy played by an ugly bitch and not a qt?

Figured this thread would get a kick out of the fact Ice Age on ice is a thing

What the fuck

>when she takes the nut and keeps going

Why do Broadway shows start in Chicago?

What the fuck the music has actual talent in it

Might watch.

Chicago's got the #2 theatre scene in America, so producers often give Broadway shows a "test" run there before moving to New York

I'm still trying to see if I can grt tickets. If I can, I'll be sure to post my findings here

Why is this getting such negative attention here when half us definitely went apeshit for TMNT out of their shells/Rugrats Live/Spider-Man Live.

It's the same shit.

This is actually getting very good reviews from the people who saw it. The one word I see people keep using is "amazing". I've only seen one bad review of it so far.

Nigga, I was like 7 during Out of Their Shells, of course I was gonna like that shit.

>Sandy
WE

oh jesus those costumes are horrifying

kill me

Especially Lilli Cooper

>"the world needs a spongebob musical"

Im going saturday. Ill try to post pics.

There's actually been some sort of audio bootleg that's been going around. There was audio of the opening song "Bikini Bottom Day" that was uploaded but then deleted. I was able to listen to it and it was very good. The song does a nice job of introducing each character and each actor has a good performance.

>Sandy is black
granted the afro is funny, but does she even have a southern accent? Sandy is supposed to be a Texan hick, not a disco star from the 70's

She does have a southern accent in the musical, and the French narrator does say that she is from Texas.

>juggling Krabby Patties

Hah.

have fun getting kicked out

Broadway dates were just announced. It's apparently premiering in Broadway November 16, 2016.

It's a shame Peter S. Beagle got swindled by Connor Cochran, so we'll never get a proper The Last Unicorn stage musical. Cochran had some bizarre cirque de soleil "arena show" planned but hopefully he doesn't get his way.

Will 2016-2017 be the season of Sup Forums on Broadway?

if youre so great then why dont you have a musical Sup Forums?

>mfw I'm tempted to check this out when it inevitably comes to my area
>mfw I only seen Wicked, Avenue Q and The Book Of Mormon live and seriously debating spending cash on Beautfiul and the Matilda musical when they come in 2017

That laugh was pretty cringy, but that cast of musician artists makes me want to see it.

Set design looks pretty good too.

>more gay than the actual show
i thought it was impossable

>this is literally what furries like

To be fair, those are leagues better than the fursuits that furries make/wear.

I saw Matilda in New York about a year ago. It was really great, you should definitely check it out.

but that kind of makes sense?

its ice age. . . ON ICE!!!

They need to make the spongebob thing synchronized swimming

This was the first song they previewed:

>youtu.be/vPuPP6p0K_I

If you want to see some fairly cheap theatre, you should try checking out local theatres near you. The production values won't be very good probably, but if you don't go in expecting full on Broadway, you should be fun. But as for actual Broadway shows, it doesn't look like there's a lot coming to your area that I think's very good outside of Book of Mormon. If you want romance/more feelsy stuff, or really like stuff about authors or Peter Pan, I'd suggest Finding Neverland. But that's about all I can say for stuff near you.

>Squidward has hair

>that arm

near.. who?

Hillenburg looks extremely uncomfortable

did they kidnap him

Well it's cute

So one thing I noticed from the pictures is that they gave Larry fake red muscles. Which is weird seeing as they have been talking about not using big foam costumes for their actors, they could have just gotten a some what muscular guy for Larry.

And then it hit me...

What if Larry has been using Anchor Arms this entire time?

Do stage actors work out?

But he could threw the anchors. Around 400 something yards.

Oh God, that's nightmare fuel

Sqidward still has 4 legs what the fuck

If you're playing a buff character, sure

They weren't planning on it but the real actor has 4 legs so they went with it

>that fucking arm

I am somehow reminded of that one Spongebob and Sandy doujin.

Patrick looks fun.

The costume designs aren't awful, and it looks nice. This whole thing is just odd.

>Sandy is black

Inflated Anchor Arms?

underrated post, would pay to see this

The guy holding the umbrella looks really unhappy with his job

Fuck I laughed

*Deflated, fuck

>no Ween
Fuck this, I need my daily dosis of ocean man.

The plaid shorts are triggering me. Also that super buff arm jesus.

to be fair, real broadway level theater gets you fucking ripped after a while.

OK, if they do a performance of the Incomparable Squidward with the interpretive dance and everything I might forgive this travesty of a production.

Will this do?
>youtu.be/J2ym1zRALh8

He always does.

Poor guy. He never wanted this life. He just wanted to make a cartoon, not THE most popular cartoon of a generation. He seems very private and the kind of guy who would want nothing to do with a Broadway show.

That's actually pretty cute. I'm sure it's better with a Patrick hamming it up.

They need a video game spinoff of this. It'll be the next BFBB.

Well, of course he still has 4 legs, he's still a squid in the musical.

Speaking of Squidward, he's apparently the best part of the musical based on what people are saying. His tap number is apparently amazing and some people are even saying that he could win a Tony next year...