What would you like to see in a Lovecraft(ian) movie?

What would you like to see in a Lovecraft(ian) movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rats_in_the_Walls
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

all the way through tentacles.

A visual medium isn't grand enough to lend itself to the fuck huge aspect that people associate "Lovecraftian" with.

I would like to see smaller bottled stories like Innsmouth instead of shit like The Void where they try to be more epic than they know how.

the closest i feel a movie has got to be truly lovecraftian is Dagon (2001) especially with the imagery in pic related of the two tiny humans swimming into the giant lair of the god they worship. to me that's the best way to represent it, to ever show the god removes the mystery/scale of it

Dead Space is the only decent Lovecraftian story executed because the grand scale cosmic horror came unexpectedly in the third instalment.

Nothing, because the man was a disgustingly bigoted racist. And yet people here are praising him. Gross.

0 action scenes.

practical effects done by guillermo del toro is where we need to start, this much i know

What's with the "this guy can't be adapted because he's just so le deep" meme? His works could easily be adapted. They aren't because it wouldn't be profitable. No one cares except for a small minority of fans of his. In fact, they've been adapted several times, but the shouting minority isn't ever satisfied, same as Tolkien fans. This guy isn't worth adapting. He sucks.

I watched a lot of the Poe/Lovevraft (often hybrids) movies by Corman as a kid.

Does someone always go insane in his books or is that a meme?

N I G G E R M A N

I'd like a comic relief character who has trouble putting things into words, but always wants to appear smart, so he describes the moon as gibbous and when he can't describe something, starts trying to ramble about eldritch horrors to cover up for his poor command of the English language.

I actually like Lovecraft's writing, but it would be fun to see it parodied a bit.

Yeah bro, those Tolkien movies totally bombed at the box office.

The Mist was some Lovecraftian type kino

Visual representation of higher dimensional beings/geometry trying to fit into our dimension.

Lots of dialogue, slow stories that crescendo in a few terrifying scenes.

Characters going legitimately crazy, not just lolsorandumb insane ramblings.

Good del Toro-tier practical effects.

Narrators.

Sense of scale similar to what said.

This Really they need slow buildups with good payoffs, lots of practical or top tier computer effects that show people who are slightly other than human, need lots of wardrobe and makeup and scenery changes showing the changing states of mind and changing physical states of characters.

Really they could be pulled off incredibly well but might be a niche thing and would cost a good deal of money.

wasn't that a stephen king short story though?

>Lovecraft
>posts a picture of Timothy McVeigh

shiggy

it was, but user is right that it was Lovecraftian (King did quite a few Lovecraft-inspired stories, see: Under the Dome, N., The Mist, Jerusalem's Lot, i'm probably forgetting a few)

however both Under the Dome and The Mist are very similar, King does love his "a bunch of people are trapped together and they're all really shitty to each other" thing

The writers of Alien were allegedly Lovecraft experts and borrowed quite a bit from him

Source material:
There were, in such voyages, incalculable local dangers; as well as that shocking final peril which gibbers unmentionably outside the ordered universe, where no dreams reach; that last amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the centre of all infinity—the boundless daemon-sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin, monotonous whine of accursed flutes; to which detestable pounding and piping dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic ultimate gods, the blind, voiceless, tenebrous, mindless Other Gods whose soul and messenger is the crawling chaos Nyarlathotep.

Japan:

Forgotten ruins. Creepy books. Silence, tense atmospheres, pple going insane, monsters that dont get shown much and cant be killed in the end. no cheap and shitty jumpscares, sence of horror that is larger than human understanding, sense of ancient forgotten things, and, ffs, no fucking "adaptations" where the script gets changed for some "genious'" "brilliant" new take on the story.

Lmao I never knew how similar they looked, that is gold.

Will be using it constantly when talking about how crazy Lovecraft was.

wtf that's not gregg popovich?

>Visual representation of higher dimensional beings/geometry
no
one of the major tennants of lovecraftian horror is that the gods are kept in mystery. Lovecraft said something to the tune of "something can never amount to what it has been hyped up to be"

I'd like to see The White Ship get a movie. The Doom That Came to Sarnath could be good too. But anything that got adapted would require a lot of made up characters and scenery. There is no way it would be accurate to the source material.

also anyone on this website that uses the word "lovecraftian" has never read any his stories.

resisting the temptation to put a shit cg shoggoth or deep one in every second scene

Actually, Carpenter's "The Thing" is one of the closest things movies have had to a Shoggoth

what makes you say that? i always used lovecraftian as "influenced by lovecraft" because of the use of imagery/beings that are too horrific for humans to view and comprehend without going insane. there's a very specific sort of description for things like that which instantly hearken back to lovecraft, therefore "lovecraftian"

Have you read any of Lovercraft's stories?

I'll take another Reanimator

I would love to see N and Crouch End adapted into film. Hell crouch end could be done in a somewhat disturbing claymation and still Be good.

The color out of space always bewildered me. I'd love to see it brought to film but it just seems un doable. This group made a version of The Whisperer in the Darkness. They took some liberties but it was still quite good.

Shadow Over Innsbrook has been tried a few times and probably lends itself best to adaptation.

The other stories feature a lot of stuff that is scarier to imagine in your head than to see on a screen

The Dunwich Horror could easily be made into a film.

Been thinking of watching The Void because it looks like it has a decent Lovecraftian vibe. Is it really that bad?

>"this guy can't be adapted because he's just so le deep"
Stop being fucking retarded. Nobody says it's because he's too deep, it's because his stories are mostly unfilmable because of how they're written and the nature of the stories themselves. It's got nothing to do about the quality or depth of his literature, and nobody claims that. I don't even know why would you be so triggered about it.

It's a good watch. The last third of the film kinda loses steam. Which is sad because that's where you get most of the practical effects.

ohhhh I forgot Crouch End, that'd be absolutely terrifying as claymation

seconding this, the buildup was great though

I thought this was implied with the scale of the alien spaceship and the Space Jockey

They made an animated version of N. It was ok. The problem with N I think lies on the fact that since it focuses so much on the ocd the depiction of horror becomes harder to perceive.

Psychological thriller, no monsters seen, people going insane as in gibbering and drooling in a corner and a bleak downer ending.

Diversity. Lovecraft's works are whiter than the paper they're written on.

His views on the Dutch were quite accurate.

It's p good. I didn't mean to use "shit" in a pejorative sense.

I just wasn't appeased with what I got pertaining to the Lovecraft hype

how about a dune remake? watching sandworms from the 80's really hurts my spirit.

don't really like lovecraft

why not a movie adaptation of the King in Yellow

you know, the thing lovecraft stole EVERYTHING from.

what about that TV version they did? was it the same giant slow dickworms? I never did watch it

That's already being made.

i'm referring to the one that already happened but that's cool, i hope it's good

(me)
>dickworms
oh wait i remember that series. i never watched because it was made for syfy.

They announced that Villeneuve was attached earlier this year. That's really all I know.

His own life is pretty sad and psychological. He was basically a lazy alienated neet for most of his entire existence.
>Lovecraft was frequently ill as a child, and he barely attended school until he was eight years old because of his sickly condition, and was withdrawn after a year
>His grandfather's death in 1904 greatly affected Lovecraft's life. Mismanagement of his estate left his family in a poor financial situation, and they were forced to move into much smaller accommodations at 598
>He is said to have suffered in 1908, prior to his high school graduation, what he later described as a "nervous breakdown", and consequently never received his high school diploma.[12]
>The adult Lovecraft was gaunt with dark eyes set in a very pale face (he rarely went out before nightfall).[14] For five years after leaving school, he lived an isolated existence with his mother,[15] primarily writing poetry without seeking employment or new social contacts.
>In 1919, after suffering from hysteria and depression for a long period of time, Lovecraft's mother was committed to Butler Hospital - the mental institution where her husband had died.[19] Nevertheless, she wrote frequent letters to Lovecraft, and they remained close until her death on May 24, 1921, the result of complications from gallbladder surgery.[15]
>Not long after the marriage, Greene lost her business and her assets disappeared in a bank failure; she also became ill. Lovecraft made efforts to support his wife through regular jobs, but his lack of previous work experience meant he lacked proven marketable skills. After a few unsuccessful spells as a low level clerk, his job-seeking became desultory.
>In early 1937, Lovecraft was diagnosed with cancer of the small intestine[31] and suffered from malnutrition as a result. He lived in constant pain until his death on March 15, 1937 in Providence.

i'm totally rating this decision on blade runner then. if it sucks, i'm losing all hope because they'll cut funding. if it's good, i'm losing all hope because he'll get cocky and leave shit out for bigger booms.

Human suffering creates the best art

It's why there's so many good Russian authors

In the Mouth of Madness was pretty much a Lovecraft film.

lol what

No tentacle bullshit. It's just way too cheesy. The best parts about Lovecraft were subtle anyways.

Sounds like Umineko and Higrashi

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rats_in_the_Walls

>you know, the thing lovecraft stole EVERYTHING from.
Did you even read the story? Or the book? Or are you repeating something you've read after watching True Detective?
Chambers wasn't a very good writer, even when compared to Lovecraft. All HPL did was take the idea of the book (play, in Chamber's work) that drove whoever read it insane (which also isn't unique to The King In Yellow).

I'd like to see a Netflix series that simply adapts the stories without adding any bullshit sub-plots or new characters. Just straight adaptations with Game of Thrones level production values and an emphasis on mood and atmosphere!!!FACT!!!

>disgustingly bigoted racist.

Yet history has proven him right!!!FACT!!!

Color out of Space has been made into a movie, it's alright.

Dan O'Bannon was a big fan of Lovecraft as well as Phillip K. Dick. You can feel those influences, along with Planet of the Vampires and IT! The Terror from Beyond Space, in ALIEN!!!FACT!!!

At the Mountains of Madness, done completely straight following every single bit of story and plot exactly, including what was at those other mountains. And when the dude namedrops every single Lovecraftian thing ever at the end having looked at them mountains, there would of course be some flashbacks from the complete full length movies that explain every one of them that precedes the Mountains of Madness release.

FUCK OFF NUMALE FAGGOT!!!FACT!!!

You get to see Nyarlathotep all the time in a cinematic medium, easily. And you have, and will with a nigger opposing him soon.

Losing one's mind was clearly scary to him, most likely since were he himself so afflicted then he might become niggerlike.

A well-crafted love story.

I could film "The Shadow Out of Time" with my dick tied behind my back.

del toro's at the mountains of madness

I blindly trust the guy to make a killer movie out of that.
sadly no one will fund it and give him complete freedom.

Yet his adaptation of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward is pretty bad, and Bleeders is like Troll 2 but without all the funny shit.

This. Depending on the story adapted obviously, it should show the reaction of horror and madness in the human character/s over attempting to portray the extra-dimensional beings themselves, it would frustrate a lot of viewers but the impression should be that if you got to see what they were seeing you would be just as crazy as they are now, your imagination should do the work.

Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath would be great, it's full of fantasy and imagery that could be represented and sets up basically his entire mythology.

Am I the only one that prefers the short stories?

Tom Cruise punching squidmen.

They're all short stories though

Nigger Eggs

Nothing, he's unique

t.lovecraftian schizo

An epic picture based on "The Shadow out of Time", directed by Terry Gilliam.

Cabin in the Woods nailed it.

>Jerusalem's Lot
How does it take from Lovecraft? I've never read it, just knew it was vampires.

Also Tommyknockers is literally Color out of Space.

It's not about vampires.

this

What am I thinking of? And what is it then?

how would you represent The Colour?

There is a short story called Jerusalem's Lot set in late 19th century. Apparently Salem's Lot is the same city, but the short story isn't about vampires.

I think a docufiction of At the Mountians of Madness would be great.

I would just set the movie entirely in the house where people are corrupted and fall apart. With ominous shots of trees, birds and space.

At the Mountain of Madness is overrated. He explains too much in that story.

the big problem with lovecraft is you can direct a movie to read like lovecraft (later john carpenter, original evil dead, fulci trilogy but especially the house by the cemetery, horror hotel, etc) but it's totally a one-way street where he's already made those movies by virtue of having written them and your best bet is to tell the story the way he would.

Oh shit, I forgot about Jerusalem's Lot. I too thought you were talking about Salem's Lot. I remember thinking King was a genius of subtle horror reading that, long before reading any Lovecraft.

too late buddy

they should turn his life into a tv series. 5 seasons at least. would be kino af.

STFU LOVECRAFT IS REAL AND WE'RE LIVING IN MATURIN WHO'S RUNNING AWAY FROM AZATHOTH