Why wasn't this series good?

Why wasn't this series good?

It's by the same people who made Batman: TAS, one of the best cartoons of all time, yet Superman: TAS feels typical of kids shows at that time. The dialogue even feels dumbed down.

And it isn't because they can't write Superman, he was great in Justice League.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=9n-dHW3ZTTs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The comic adaptation that we got out of it made the whole thing worthwhile. Legit the best Superman ongoing ever.

>Why wasn't this series good?

It was great, OP. The hell are you talking about?

STAS was great, what are you on about?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=9n-dHW3ZTTs

It was great OP.
Metallo was better here then he has ever been in the comics.
And Braniac was really strong presentationwise as well.

I thought it was better then Batman: TAS.

STAS is better than BTAS

This show had better OCs, overall, than Batman as well, I think

Mercy, Luminus, Livewire and Volcana were all pretty awesome

Maybe not better but certainly more consistent.

It was good, just not (in my opinion) as good as BTAS

I think the main problem I had with it was the intro.

BTAS has one of the best intros ever. STAS's one is so meh

I disagree with that
To this day I still think STAS had one of the most fitting, well composed openings
I find myself humming it for at least a day after I watch an episode, which is every so often before work, with coffee

so yeah

STAS Superman is the same Superman in JL
Just, before JL
They're literally the same man
Because it's all apart of the same DCAU

So I don't know how or where, but at some point you misunderstood something

Kill yourself it's far better than BTAS

goosebumps, every fucking time

legit top 3 DCU moment, no contest

I liked it

The animation was shit, just like Batman's animation went to shit when it went from Fox to the WB.

OP, you're fucking high.

Superman: TAS is fucking awesome.

The animation improved. Your problem is with the character designs, not the way they move.

It was better than Batman.

It was better than BTAS though.

>all these hipsters claiming it was better than Batman because it's cool to hate on it

Impressive

I think part of the reason Superman's show is less memorable is because Superman relies a lot more heavily on action than Batman does.

You can do a stories where Batman sneaks around, talks a bit, and punches maybe one guy and that's a perfectly fine Batman story. Superman needs to fight off a giant robot or punch a meteor storm out of orbit and shit like that to be at his most impressive. It's hard to do shit like that on a TV budget.

That's why the best Superman animated series episodes tends to be him interacting with the larger DC Universe, whether that's Darkseid or Flash or Batman. All in all I do think Superman the Animated Series was good, but I think the reason it's not considered a classic like Batman The Animated series has to do with the limits of the medium of TV animation.

I really liked this series because it had so many team up episodes. Superman is a great straight man to mix with more colorful characters, and his intimidating power and rogues gallery means that they are always out to impress and show their stuff.

Superman was super nerfed. Same with everyone else in this universe.

The Late Mr. Kent was one of the best episodes in part because they managed to write one where it wasn't necessary for Superman to get into a big fight or action scene.

No, it was definitely the animation (at least in the earlier seasons. I will concur that it got better as it went along.) While I hated the New Adventures of Batman's character designs, I liked Superman:TAS's.

The new, simpler designs lead to better, more consistent animation than B:TAS's. Superman's animation/episode quality didn't drop off until season three when they were working on that, Batman, and Batman Beyond at the same time and Superman got the least amount of attention because it was the oldest.

What.

Are you kidding me?

The first season has like 8 TMS episodes and they're all fucking gorgeous. The only one I'd say looked a little bit iffy is the first of the Lobo two parter and it doesn't really matter cause it was a good episode anyways.

Go to bed Bruce

Batman TAS had higher highs but lower lows
whereas Superman TAS was consistent throughout.

I think I get it
You have the strong belief that BTAS is better and have a hard time accepting that there are people who believe otherwise
Excellent
I think I was able to curve your edge
You're welcome

This

I just started watching it last night. It's pretty damn good so far.

No one could outshined Timm's husbando, Batman. The Timmverse is one of the main reasons why normies think Batman is the only good thing from DC and Superman is fucking lame

This, to a point.

Batman really shined out more than the others in the DCAU.

How so?

Superman's power level in the series was consistent with his depiction in the comics immediately after Crisis on Infinite Earths: can lift a 747 with difficulty, can push an oil tanker but not lift it, can be knocked over by machine gun fire if it takes him by surprise, can't breathe in space.