First rule in chara design: a good character is a good shadow

First rule in chara design: a good character is a good shadow.
Do you recognize this shadow?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kbp9WXQjZy8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Looks like a kid version of the blonde dover boy.

looks like a waste of a shadow.

ITS PIKACHU

Autism incarnate

Carl from Jimmy Neutron?

The point is not wether you like it or not. The point is: do you recall it?

The Punisher?

Stephen Colbert, right?

He is Bob. Eager for fun. He wears a smile. Everybody run.

Looks like someone extremely attractive.

>Do you recognize this shadow?

What did he mean by this?

Is that Pepe?

Thanks doc

Valve nailed this in 2005.

Oh god those poor mlp character designers

I see a horned alien making a guy with a broken spine suck his dick.
What does that say about me?

It means you should be taking your daily dose more often.

Severe nutrient deficiency. Every user needs his daily dose to stay fit and healthy.

It's Steven from the show Steven Universe.

Did I get it Sup Forums?
Did I win?

You are lacking in you're daily dose.

What do you want to win?

Looks like a semitic numale to me.

clarence with belson hair style

IIRC, one thing that Valve strived to do when creating TF2 was to have each class present a different distinct body type. that way, you could see what enemy was coming your way from across the map

wrong

Off topic, I want this design shit to end

The majority of characters in western medium are recognizable. I don't know if you're trying to prove something by posting SU or what provoked this, but pic related example, the only time people couldn't name a character in this list is because they've never seen the show, not because they have a poor silhouette.

You can have a strong silhouette and still have a really shitty design. It's called "appeal" and most western cartoons seem to lack it in their in-house studio style. There's a reason why the characters in something like Nichijou or Zootopia are nicer to look at than Clarence.

>good shadow
That's lightist.

It was me, flash. I was your favorite cartoon character.

> Barry watches cartoons only for them to keep revealing themselves to be Zoom

It's something Rebecca Sugar once told them so SUfags regurgitate it everytime they can to "prove" that SU doesn't have bad character designs as everyone else claims.

except the first showing and promotional material for years was still quake TF girtty generic soldier stuff.

at some point valve made the right choice for sure

I have never seen anybody say SU character designs are bad cept of a couple times on Sup Forums including this one

PB looks spooky as a silhouette.

I know people IRL who say so and they don't know about Sup Forums. Most of the characters are unpleasant to look at.

It's Clarence with a wig.

wander's silhouette is just great. Craig is so based

That's Clarence with a clown wig.

Easy one.

Is that you? Pinochet?

OH! that's easy! It's a lawsuit

No.

Of course. That's Sans before he died.

No.
No it's Mickey.

Round 2.

The Nesquik rabbit.

This shadow feels lost

The noid

No, I give you a hint.
youtube.com/watch?v=kbp9WXQjZy8

>it's Mickey
Where's the joke, fuckley?

SU character designs are bad

The Noid is not a "wabbit".

This is Mickey is not Mickey.

Again, WHERE'S THE FUCKING JOKE?

topkek

Did Overwatch manage this?

jeez, how long has it been since they had that "on the bright side" stuff?

OP wanted shadows of characters, there is no joke.

Made me kek

What the hell is that?

I know this is bait, but I think the silhouette idea behind character design is horribly misunderstood and it bothers me so much.

You use silhouette to check the design, and adjust it so that the character is better balanced.

This idea that "if you recognize the character's silhouette then it's all good" is fallacious because you could make extremely ugly characters with very complex silhouettes and they'd register all right, but their design would still be hideous.

That is a sandal sitting by a chair.

i havent played in about a year and a half. Iknow they do that whenever you beat a record of yours
broke a new record for buildings sapped, backstabs,headshots, teleports, kills, etc within one life

I think silhouettes are more used to recognize the character within the cast of its own world, also to recognize shapes and sizes that give those characters "character".

Recognizable silhouettes wouldbe more used in mascot characters, since they are like a logo

Yeah, Widowmaker's ultimate works entirely on the fact that everyone can recognize all the characters' silhouettes immediately.

I seriously hope you're not referencing a certain comic

Side-characters.

Not sure who [2,5], [3,7], [3,3], [3,4] and [3,6] are.

The stoner guy from Jake Long.

That guy from Jake Long

Spud

See &

Soldier and acout are somewhat similar in terms of silhouette (despite the RPG). Also soldier and demoman.

They should have made soldier shorter, that way there would be no confusion.

But this is nitpicking. A++ design, Valve. It's nice to see someone putting cartoon principles that existed since the fucking 1920s to good use.

Fillmore.

The only one I know of those guys is Leni and thats cause I watched the first episodes only
Also the twins 3rd and fourth
Whos that 5th person :^)

What anime is this?

[3,6/7] is either Catbug or Perry, depending if Finn/Jake count as 1 or two,
[3,3] is Chowder
[3,4] is Finn and Jake

Not sure [2,5] is either

It's from that bubble guppies show on nick jr

>muh silhouettes

is this something they teach at CalfArts now or whatever? because up until a few years or so ago nobody gave a shit about whether the general outline of a character can be recognized by anyone, which is pretty much the case anyway with 99% of character designs no matter how good or terrible.

he seriously looks like the rarest pepe

Somebody's eating ass

Ah, shit, I totally derped.
I meant [2,5], [3,7], [4,3], [4,4] and [4,6].

I'm counting Finn and Jake individually, since every row has nine columns that way.

None of them are from a anime.

Round 3.

Its about clarity in storytelling, not character design

Bored, so here goes:
Wander. LSP, Uncle Grandpa, don't know, don't know, Flapjack, Phineas, Mabel, Louise,

Dipper, don't know, Marciline, Steven, don't know, one of the kids from Clarence, Rigby, Ice king, Clarence,

izza from UG, Gumball, Chowder, Finn and Jake, Candace, Catbug, Perry, one of the gems from SU,

Princess Bubblegum, pearl, don't know, that guy from bravest warriors, gem from SU, don't know, Mordecai, Captain Knuckles, guy from Clarence.

Think about logos. You want people to immediately recognize your content. That's basic marketing.

Wait, what?

Why are all the characters looking different a good thing? What if you want to set your work in a homogenous setting? What if you're aiming for hyper-realism?

Wander | LSP | UC | Sanjay | Craig | Sailor SpongeBob | Phineas | Incest Twin | Burger Bunny
Other Incest Twin | UC godzilla | Spoon | SU | ??? | based Sumo | Regular Squirrel | Ice King | Clarence
Pizza Steve | /ss/ cat | Cooking SpongeBob | Finn the Human | Jake the Dog | Phineas sister | catbug | Platypus secret agent | Black Power Space Rock Lesbian
Bubblegum Princess | Other Space Rock Lesbian | Femme Space Rock Lesbian | Unemployed loser SO QUIRKY | Space Finn | Biker Space Rock Lesbian | ??? | Regular bird | Sailor Mr Crabs | Jeff

What about and

>It's called "appeal"

so basically it comes down to personal taste and not an actual rule of design or anything

Meant to quote

RUBIK THE AMAZING CUBE without his cube