ITT: Simpsons jokes that you never understood

>We're proud to present, on the WB, another bad show that no one will see.

In my country we don't have a WB Network so I was always confused what this was about.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8iglhkgiQSQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_J._Frog
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

But WB shows are very popular. What the fuck Simpsons?

WB was a channel. Mostly geared toward the urban crowd but on Saturdays in the morning it had a lot of cartoons and shows for kids.

As a kid in America in the 90s, you watched one of two channels on Saturday mornings. Kids WB or Fox Kids.

>Fox Kids
they broadcast that shit all the way to romania nigguh

?

youtube.com/watch?v=8iglhkgiQSQ

Probably one of my favorite jokes on the Simpsons now, but it took me years before I understood it.

Haha wow Lisa is so smart! Only an 8 year old girl and she's putting all the men to shame having watched such a seminal film tjat most people haven't even heard of! You go Lisa! Keep on being the voice of reason!

WB was a new network at the time that didnt have much of a viewer base being launched two years before the episode was made

Then the WB made shows like Buffy and Dawson's Creek and cornered the teen market

I still dont get this joke

This. WB almost exclusively catered to black viewers before switching over to the white teenager network that the CW continues to be today.

The joke is that the General exclaimed to his friend Tim "I'll die before I surrender, Tim". The joke being he died after he said that, meaning he's kept true to his word that he will in fact die before he surrenders.

Wrong ;^)

The WB's advertising mascot was a singing, dancing frog from the old cartoons.

> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_J._Frog

I only recall UPN and BET catering to the black demo. WB wasn't so much a channel as a content network. Locally WPIX out of NYC carried their programs but still had their own programming.

Back in the day I remember saturday morning cartoons being on all of the major over the air broadcasters like abc, cbs, nbc, and fox but also usa carried saturday cartoons. I think even tnt had cartoons back in the day. Disney would run the old mickey mouse cartoons and mousercize.

Most of the WB's early programming consisted of black sitcoms like the Jamie Foxx Show, The Wayans Brothers, Steve Harvey Show, etc.

They started shifting over to being the white teenager network when Buffy and Dawson's Creek premiered in 1997.

Damn right. ABC, CBS, and NBC could not even begin to compete.

Nick, Disney, and Cartoon network were all around in the 90s... Only thing Kids WB had were Pokemon, Digimon, and Xmen which were all syndicated to CN anyways.

That's true but the most popular Saturday morning cartoons at that time were on Fox.

how the fuck is that a joke?

>wake up at 6AM on saturday
>wait until 8AM and watch the exact same episode of Yugioh, Jackie Chan, Mummy, PokeDigimon on a better channel

>in my country
OPINION DISCARDED

I was more referring to the early 90s with Batman TAS, X-Men, The Tick, Bobby's World, Power Rangers, etc. Also, Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs originally aired on Fox.

>Remembers watching pocket monsters and friends but not super mario brothers super show
Millenniscum truly have no taste.

Those shows are all from the early 00s when the Saturday morning cartoon format was in decline.

Assuming you were a child when SMBSS was airing, you're also a millennial.

Didn't they stop showing saturday morning cartoons on cbs, nbc, and abc in the late 90's?

Yeah I think Fox and WB were the last holdouts.

No. 1981 and earlier were gen-x.

I know, I was just making the point that there was no reason to wake up at the buttcrack of 6AM on a saturday to watch them when they were all syndicated to better channels at far better times

Gen X is people that were teens to 20-somethings in the 90s.

>1 season
>for fucking MARIO
Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and assumed it sucked seeing how they could only get 1 season out of an IP as huge and unchallenged as Mario was in 1989

I lived on the east coast and saturday morning cartoons didn't really start until 8 or 9. Most of the programming before then was live action children's programming like the kid's taking over the tv station to produce their own music videos. Disney ran old disney cartoons in the wee hours. Outside of that I only recall darkstalkers being on early.

This. The early hours were reserved for more "educational" programming. The popular shows didn't start until like 10 when you would get nonstop McDonalds and toy ads during commercial breaks.

>tfw you could never wake up early enough to watch Super Mario Bros Super Show reruns Saturday morning

Just

They showed episodes of Golden Girls right before the 6AM saturday morning cartoons. Must've been the cheapest show they had at the time.

>Generation X, or Gen X, is the demographic cohort following the baby boomers. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1960s and ending birth years ranging from the late 1970s to early 1980s.

I think they quickly moved on to super mario bros 3. which I sometimes watch on encore

Early 80s would be the extreme cutoff point. Gen Xers were typically the people graduating from high school in the early 90s. I was born in 1982 myself and wouldn't consider myself part of Gen X since I was just a kid at the start of the 90s.

>tfw I woke up at 5AM every morning to watch Angel and Buffy reruns on TNT and Saved by the Bell before school

I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode of SBTB at least 4 times.

Their prime time lineup has regularly been shit. This is a station that had Seventh Heaven and Dawson's Creek. Even MADTv did a skit on how all its shows revolve around pretty white kids with "problems" by making a show actually titled Pretty White Kids With Problems.

Which is ironic because the WB almost exclusively catered to black audiences early on. The white teen audience was simply more lucrative.

They're still like that today even after the merger to become the CW
>flash
>arrow
>subpar girl
>the 100
>super natural
>riverdale
Still "pretty white people with problems" but nobody shits on them now

>Due to birth-year overlap between definitions of Generation X and Millennials, some individuals born in the late 1970s and early 1980s see themselves as being "between" the two generations. Names given to those born in the Generation X and Millennial cusp years include Xennials, The Lucky Ones, Generation Catalano, and the Oregon Trail Generation.
I personally don't see myself(1982) as apart of the facebook generation

WOW it's like these generation designations are fucking meaningless!

I don't either but I'm pretty sure the term 'millennial' was originally coined due to the people from our birth year graduating high school and coming of age in 2000.

They also killed Mission Hill by dicking around with their air time. They had a golden show on their hands that was actually ahead of its time for 1999 in terms of the subject matter it covered in (Online gaming, showing how stupid and fake reality TV was, the concept of liking bad movies, etc) and they screwed it over.

Supernatural and the 100 are decent.

Yep and as a kid you watched Nick, Disney, and Cartoon Network at literally any other time that wasn't Saturday Morning. Because on Saturday Morning you watched Fox or WB

Back when I graduated in 2000 I remember the news calling us echo boomers and baby echo maybe generation Y but not millennials.

Maybe it's different for people not in my time zone, but only shows I cared about were Pokemon, Digimon, and Yugioh, which showed 6-730, and I wasn't going to wake up that early when I could watch the SAME episode on CN/Disney at a more convenient time later that day

I thought Mission Hill and Home Movies were both imported from UPN. Could be mistaken though.

Names get dicked around with all the time. Gen Y used to be a thing but they just wrapped them up into Millenials. I hope they come up with a better name than Gen Z for the current kids.

Cartoons for adults was too niche. It wouldn't matter. It would have still done poorly and then add on top of that it was for nerds.

Kek. My nigga. Shame they stopped that. Ive just been getting down with married with children on tbs now

If only it came out a few years ago. It would have been praised.

Anyone here watched Saturday anime on scifi?

Y'know, I was just about to say that I was impressed nobody had posted the Sneed image yet.

No (You) for you, faggot.

Despite that I didnt even know they had like 8 more seasons of sbtb with a new "generation" because they weren't part of the syndication package and they never had reruns.

Home Movies and Dilbert were original to UPN from what I can remember. I can't recall others.
Those were for plebs. Monster Ranchers was for true patricians.

>Jimmy Neutron and Dexter doesnt exist

Boipussies don't count, shitlord. REEEEEEEEEE

It's alright, user.

CAUSE I'M SAVED BY THE BELL!

How mentally ill do you have to be to get this triggered over a cartoon from the 90s?

My nigga.

ABC had some good stuff in the mid 90s.

Was ABC the one that ran Aladdin, Hercules, Gummy Bears, Ducktales, Tailspin, Rescue Rangers, and Darkwing Duck? I remember liking those at the time.

>Monster Ranchers

It's like he's never heard of Fighting Foodons!

Seriously, though, of all the pokeclones that was my favorite one.

Tim was a coward and killed him

KNOT BREAD

At that point I might have been done with saturday morning cartoons. The last cartoons I might have kept up with were Geeker and Mummies Alive.

are saturday morning cartoons still a thing?